Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

I like that she's playing her vintage records on a lovely record player.
The odds of Gilchrist actually using a Crosley are more amusing than any of his strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

The only requirement to being a professional anything is that someone is willing to pay you to do it. So just attracting a large enough audience to watch you run around in the woods with a camera to get sponsors.

Retail

Hey, everyone remember that big media event that happened three months ago and everyone since moved on from? Stay tuned to this totally timely and unpredictable storyline to find out what happens!

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I bet Bleeker's fan-ny is broken.

Dustin

And every biochemistry student curses the name of Hans Adolf Krebs to this day.

On the Fastrack

Maybe you should join the Slashdot community Dethany.

Safe Havens

"What horrible experiments have you been conducting on your friends this time, Samantha? Didn't I teach you better than that?"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Eponymity isn't assured, though. The guy who pioneered Tommy John surgery isn't named Tommy John, after all.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

The only requirement to being a professional anything is that someone is willing to pay you to do it. So just attracting a large enough audience to watch you run around in the woods with a camera to get sponsors.
Professional Sasquatch Hunter, not Professional Sasquatch Catcher, duh. :rolleyes:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Hey, Holbrook actually knows what net neutrality is.

I think.

Well, he at least knows it's not about content censorship.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Hey, everyone remember that big media event that happened three months ago and everyone since moved on from? Stay tuned to this totally timely and unpredictable storyline to find out what happens!

Isn't the lead time on comics about three months?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I think Doonesbury got it down to two weeks. But sure, individual artists have their own lead times. I know Holbrook works a couple months ahead of time.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

You kind of hope Phantom never mistakenly punches an innocent guy.

Not mistakenly, but... well, if you happen to be unfortunate enough to live under a dictatorship and you're in the army, you're totally fair game for a skull-mark, even though you were just doing your job guarding a building or something.

Darthemed posted:

And Magic In A Minute has an extremely loose definition of 'magic'.

The wording of this puzzle makes the proposed solution incorrect. It's clearly those three specific glasses that can't be next to each other. The water is unimportant; it's just a marker.

Dewgy posted:

I'm pretty sure they told her to knock that off. It's just reruns now.

Yep, has been for ages. The modified and extra comics lasted a really short time before it went to straight reruns.

Baby Blues

Is he boiling something still in its plastic bag? And how are "men can't cook" jokes still being made in 2014?

Beetle Bailey

Heathcliff

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Reply All

Stone Soup

I've seen this "joke" done in so many comics and I just hate it. Children know what letters are! People still get mail! This is loving dumb!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The Statue of Liberty is on a small island accessed by ferries, not tour buses. Slylock suspects the raccoon is guilty.

Slylock Fox

Shady could get away with it if he just marketed his miracle stuff with the right weasel wording and disclaimers that they're not guaranteed to have any actual health benefits. Don't give up! Research your competition, Shady! It's a big market out there!

Moose and Molly

Has Moose ever considered taking up an animal/livestock husbandry business? Or renting out his trained parrot?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Boil bags are super handy if you want to whip up one pot meals!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

Posting Classic Prince Valiant early since I may not have access to it tomorrow.

Uhhh... I'm not sure that letting a self-confessed thief, criminal and cheater - who you almost killed five minutes ago - to shave you is such a good move. Even if you're a badass who slaughtered an entire army.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

It's almost a logical answer and then it starts with doctor's handwriting jokes.

Nevermind that when you're posing as a doctor you have a multitude of ways to kill a person on hand. Not saying Inspector Danger isn't going to notice when his daily dose of Aspirin is 30 tablets but you look around the office and google "_____ lethal dose" and you're gonna come up with something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The fact that he misspelled aspirin was what tipped me off, rather than the handwriting. But whatever.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

some ugly loving dog, god that face is awful. loving smug Mother Goose & Grimm :argh:

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Libraries still relevant, provide modern services, yeah yeah, but look at the approximately late 80s PC and the tube monitor. I'm gonna take this as a library budgeting joke.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
My local university library still has a few computers with CRT monitors running Windows 2000. Getting to use IE 5 to browse the catalogue is a weird sort of anti-nostalgic treat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Everyone hated our old acquisition software and we were happy to hear the providers were coming up with a new, modern one... that only runs in IE. Baby steps, OCLC, one day you'll make software not conceptually decades out of date.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

I'm almost fifty. The Beatles hit big in America the year I was born. Therefore, based on this strip, Fritzi (and her titzis) cannot be less than sixty years old.

Edit: \/\/ :golfclap:

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 24, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac cheers for success!

The Creeps Succeed!

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Libraries still relevant, provide modern services, yeah yeah, but look at the approximately late 80s PC and the tube monitor. I'm gonna take this as a library budgeting joke.

Even libraries that focus on popular materials are going to be a treasure trove of historical materials. And they're free and easily accessible. I'm choosing to take the "joke" that way since it's too early to start yelling obscenities at my computer.

A fun game at libraries is to go around looking at the computers to find the really old ones and seeing which tasks/areas have gotten left behind. In mine, it's the computers used to search the catalog. Staff in two departments still have CRTs but they're apparently happy with them.

I'm going to give Piraro credit for drawing a librarian with a ponytail and turtleneck instead of a bun and cardigan. Speaking of, it's almost time for me to leave and I need to find my cardigan.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

I'm so lost in this, it could be Ted for all I know.

Cap'n Eddie experiences some distress in today's Non Sequitur

:lol:

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's, but at least it's moving again.

:)

Kliban

Ya know.. if you built, sort of a superstructure, or scaffolding with toothpicks, it would probably solve that problem.

9 Chickweed Lane 3/24/2003

Interesting concept, Brooke.

Zits

kids_these_days.png

Just a couple of lardass predators in this morning's Kevin & Kell

Nemi

:v:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'd want to stay in the basement too if the adults always shouted every single sentence that wasn't a question at me.

(I didn't really notice it until a few weeks ago, so I don't know if this is a new thing but I can't not see it now.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy is no Schroeder. (January 3, 1927)

Peanuts underlines that Jose Peterson is half Puerto Rican, half Lutheran. (March 27, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Huhr huhr! It's high-larious because comics are for boys! :rolleyes:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (March 26, 1956)

I don't usually latch on to the swamp talk (or else I'd be doing that all day) but...BANJOSEPH(!!!).

Out Our Way (September 1-2, 1924)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Ya know.. if you built, sort of a superstructure, or scaffolding with toothpicks, it would probably solve that problem.

Or just invert.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Uncle Allan, blow us some more bubbles!
- Well... maybe a few, then...

Puhaltaa, to blow, is a slang term for stealing. Volkswagen Beetle has many regional nicknames, it turns out. In Sweden and Finland they're called Bubbles.

Fok_It

That's not an idiom in English, right? It means that you wish you could be in some place unnoticed, secretly listening in on what the people there are talking about or seeing what's going to happen to them.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

tiistai posted:

Fok_It

That's not an idiom in English, right? It means that you wish you could be in some place unnoticed, secretly listening in on what the people there are talking about or seeing what's going to happen to them.

English has "fly on the wall," rather than ceiling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bonestructure posted:

I'm almost fifty. The Beatles hit big in America the year I was born. Therefore, based on this strip, Fritzi (and her titzis) cannot be less than sixty years old.

Previous evidence puts her in at least her fifties: http://www.gocomics.com/nancy/2012/11/27 and http://www.gocomics.com/nancy/2012/09/30

TastesLikeChicken posted:

I'd want to stay in the basement too if the adults always shouted every single sentence that wasn't a question at me.

(I didn't really notice it until a few weeks ago, so I don't know if this is a new thing but I can't not see it now.)

This is just how people talk in comics! It's either exclamation marks all the time, or no punctuation at all! See, a period being just a small dot and comics being printed in poor quality on lovely paper, they'll often disappear, so it's easier to just leave them out or replace them! It's become part of the style now though, so some probably do it intentionally for effect!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's astonishing that English and Finnish have such similar idioms, really. Keeping up with peculiarities in a language like English is Full-Time Work Comix.

Pooch Café

I'm surprised he settled for it being actual size. He had a full sheet of plywood to start with, he could have gone for double that.

Ballard Street

Happy Monday, everyone.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

dismas posted:

English has "fly on the wall," rather than ceiling.

Man. I tried to google an English equivalent but came up empty. Can't believe it was this close.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/24/2003

Interesting concept, Brooke.

If he'd been aware enough to rip off Winsor McKay he might have done something interesting with it.

I have no clue where Tiggum got his Berger & Wyse from.

Now that's the level of pun I can grasp.

Stephen Collins

Sic transit gloria mundi, apparently.

Tom Gauld's book, You're All Just Jealous of my Jetpack, is out now, for sale at Amazon or in your local comic book shop, if you're a decent person.

How have you lived a week without Momma

Augh!

Huh?

Momma has literally castrated her son.

Lazarus likes to draw a disturbingly fleshy flower.

Rarebit Fiend

e:

EasyEW posted:

Skippy is no Schroeder. (January 3, 1927)

For some reason Skippy's dad looks like an Ayn Rand book cover.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 24, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I have no clue where Tiggum got his Berger & Wyse from.

This one?

I got it from GoComics. They don't give the original publication date.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tiggum posted:

If I can read a doctor's handwriting, I obviously know that the doctor is a hardened criminal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

This comic doesn't even have a joke. It's just showing something that might actually happen in real life. Now this lady is going to direct this dumbass to an actual historic site in town.

Otherwise, gently caress you Dan Piraro. gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everyone hated our old acquisition software and we were happy to hear the providers were coming up with a new, modern one... that only runs in IE. Baby steps, OCLC, one day you'll make software not conceptually decades out of date.

This really, really gets my nerves in regards to library software and databases. We want to be modern and reach our patrons, but it's so hard when were stuck with crappy SirsiDynix catalogs that don't even let you use the "back" button. And we're stuck with them because so many librarians are OK with lovely products and refuse to change. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Holy poo poo! What's up with your eyes, man!?

• Locked thread