Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Man I wish I knew where this masturbatory love for index funds came from; yeah generally index funds safely rise year after year, but thinking they always go up is just as dumb as thinking anything will always go up. Markets correct themselves and what do you do if you're regarding an index fund as a savings account and the market decides it's time to correct itself when you're 64?

Most sensible people love index funds because a well diversified portfolio of them typically beats individually selected stocks on a long enough horizon*, but pretending they don't sometimes (i.e. often) go down in value is insane and Bad With Money. Only an idiot believes they're risk-free or an alternative to a savings account.

*Let's not turn this into the long-term savings and retirement thread, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Man I wish I knew where this masturbatory love for index funds came from; yeah generally index funds safely rise year after year, but thinking they always go up is just as dumb as thinking anything will always go up. Markets correct themselves and what do you do if you're regarding an index fund as a savings account and the market decides it's time to correct itself when you're 64?

The argument isn't that index funds will always go up, it's that they outperform actively-managed funds or individual stocks in the long-run by having very low expense ratios. Hopefully a 64-year old would have investments weighted towards Treasuries and other bond index funds. That would help avoid the short-term volatility you're talking about.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cranbe posted:

Most sensible people love index funds because a well diversified portfolio of them typically beats individually selected stocks on a long enough horizon*, but pretending they don't sometimes (i.e. often) go down in value is insane and Bad With Money. Only an idiot believes they're risk-free or an alternative to a savings account.

*Let's not turn this into the long-term savings and retirement thread, though.

Indeed, let's not, and I'm not arguing that index funds are a bad investment, they're a great idea, but I see way too many people who think you just want to pump everything into them all the time and I actually read a book arguing that recently, it was mind-boggling.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I've seen this post about a hundred times but I've never seen someone actually assert or imply that these funds don't have down years.

Indeed, let's not, and I'm not arguing that index funds are a bad investment, they're a great idea, but I see way too many people who think you just want to pump everything into them all the time and I actually read a book arguing that recently, it was mind-boggling.
You know there are bond index funds too? Index funds describe a wider variety of asset classes than just equities. (I don't know what book you're referring to, so this may not apply)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 24, 2014

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

I've seen this post about a hundred times but I've never seen someone actually assert or imply that these funds don't have down years.

The big Reddit quote on the last age had somebody pondering why anybody would have cash savings when you can stick the money in index funds—which would only make sense if index funds only went up (and were as liquid as cash).

I doubt many people feel that way, but n >= 1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cranbe posted:

The big Reddit quote on the last age had somebody pondering why anybody would have cash savings when you can stick the money in index funds—which would only make sense if index funds only went up (and were as liquid as cash).

I doubt many people feel that way, but n >= 1.
It depends on the fund. I mean if you keep 15K in a short-term bond index fund instead of cash we're talking about very little volatility - the price hasn't decreased more than 2% over any time period in the past 10 years on something like this short-term bond index fund

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2014

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

quote:

Seriously, I thought it was obvious that saving was a poor person thing.

:stonk:

This needs to be the thread title somehow.

Yeah, was about to say that. That's some seriously un-self-aware posting right there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

There is a such thing as a Bond Market index fund or a Money Market index fund, you know.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok I know reddit is almost too easy, but holy poo poo this guy:

quote:

I live alone in a major US city and I am sick and tired of barely scraping by each month. I know where to cut costs, but need to know the right way of doing it.
Here's my financial breakdown.
I make 41,200 per annum.
After taxes, wageworks for public transport, dental insurance, it's a bout 1,200 per two weeks.
I don't pay for health insurance until the fall after I turn 26.
My car is my biggest waste of money. I pay a car note bill (with 24.99% APR) of $416 per month plus $100 dollars for insurance. I don't use it since I moved into the city except to go buy groceries.
I pay $775 in rent per month.
I pay about $115 for cable/internet
I pay $86 for my cell phone per month.
I use GameFly to discourage myself from buying video games for $16 per month
Netflix is $8 per month.
I stupidly bought a bedroom set from a store, but since my credit is so poor, I had agree to a rent to own situation where I pay $200 a month just to have it. The original price of the bedroom set was $1700 whereas if I keep making minimum payments, it'll total out to over 6K when it's officially mine. I got it before tax season thinking I can use my tax refund to pay it off quickly, but I wound up owing the government $322.
I save about $50 per month, but I want to make that higher, and can't.
If I can get rid of my car, I can pay off the bed set a lot earlier. I looked up my car in Kelly Blue Book and filled out the stats of my car and they estimate I can get $11K for it. My loan is still at $13K.
In an ideal world, without the car, I'll have an extra $500 per month to get the new clothes I need, pay off my student loans that are in default before they garnish my wages again, save money to go back and finish school. I'm tired of eating Ramen on the weekends.

25% APR car note on a car he doesn't even use and a rent-to-own bedroom set that's going to end up costing him 4x the original purchase price. He's literally paying 20% of his gross (over 27% of net!) income on an unused car and loving bedroom furniture. Loan-shark interest rate aside, he took on a $400+ car note on 40k/yr and judging by the total lack of financial awareness probably got rear end reamed on the price.

Just... how? I'm speechless.

I mean, good for him for wising up to how hosed he is and wanting to turn it around, but goddamn it took this long?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 24, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guinness posted:

Ok I know reddit is almost too easy, but holy poo poo this guy:

25% APR car note on a car he doesn't even use and a rent-to-own bedroom set that's going to end up costing him 4x the original purchase price. He's literally paying 20% of his gross (over 27% of net!) income on an unused car and loving bedroom furniture. Loan-shark interest rate aside, he took on a $400+ car note on 40k/yr and judging by the total lack of financial awareness probably got rear end reamed on the price.

Just... how? I'm speechless.

I mean, good for him for wising up to how hosed he is and wanting to turn it around, but goddamn it took this long?

You missed the important part

quote:

pay off my student loans that are in default before they garnish my wages again

He sounds like on of those people who never learns.

Who the gently caress in their right mind thinks a "rent to own" where you pay over 3x the cost of the goods to even get the point of owning them is a contract they should sign. I mean, just check craiglists for some cheap poo poo.

The one saving grace is that his income is barely over his expenses, so he at least might be able to make an effort.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Who the gently caress needs a goddamn bedroom set when they are single and living in the city?

Step 1. Place boxspring directly on floor
Step 2. Place mattress on boxspring
Step 3. loving done!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Who the gently caress needs a goddamn bedroom set when they are single and living in the city?

Step 3. loving done!
Even better:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MK3ORI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need for a box spring and it lets you keep stuff under your bed (mandatory for me).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Step 3. loving done!

Boxspring? Look at this rich motherfucker.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Step 3. loving done!

What, seriously? Create a nest out of dirty clothing and towels and sleep in that. If you are in debt you don't deserve a bed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

No Wave posted:

Even better:

No need for a box spring and it lets you keep stuff under your bed (mandatory for me).

edit: bringing it back into seriousville:

The lumber to build something that would do the same job would cost less, and you could do the job with a hand saw and a hammer and nails in an hour.

Even if you have to buy the tools you'll probably come out ahead, and you get to keep the tools.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

tuyop posted:

What, seriously? Create a nest out of dirty clothing and towels and sleep in that. If you are in debt you don't deserve a bed.

I prefer the idea of them having to make a bed/mattress out of bills and debt collection notices. It works symbolically on several levels.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VideoTapir posted:

The lumber to build something that would do the same job would cost less, and you could do the job with a hand saw and a hammer and nails in an hour.

Even if you have to buy the tools you'll probably come out ahead, and you get to keep the tools.

I'd love for you to price that out, including renting a vehicle to transport the lumber in since a sedan won't do it. I've always had a thought of building myself furniture, and then I realize how expensive raw materials are in parts of the country that aren't timber country.

For reference, we actually have one of these frames, and they do a nice job. It folds in on itself for storage as well, so you can use it as a guest bed with a folding-mat if you decide to get a new size of bed.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I'd love for you to price that out, including renting a vehicle to transport the lumber in since a sedan won't do it. I've always had a thought of building myself furniture, and then I realize how expensive raw materials are in parts of the country that aren't timber country.

For reference, we actually have one of these frames, and they do a nice job. It folds in on itself for storage as well, so you can use it as a guest bed with a folding-mat if you decide to get a new size of bed.

You can get a surprising amount of lumber in a sedan if you put the seats down and leave it sticking out the back. You have to tie it down so it doesn't fly out the back and drive really carefully, but it can be done.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That thing could be built from like 15-20 2x4 studs. Some screws, a drill, and a saw... That'd be decently cheap, even cheaper if you could borrow skillsaw and power drill with some bits.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spermy Smurf posted:

That thing could be built from like 15-20 2x4 studs. Some screws, a drill, and a saw... That'd be decently cheap, even cheaper if you could borrow skillsaw and power drill with some bits.

Your going to need/want 4x4 posts for the legs, 2x6 for the structural sides, if you have a queen bed you need a center support, some slats to distribute load (1x4 will probably due), and bolts not screws since you probably will want to keep it and be able to move it.

My brother has made a bed frame like this, I will see if he remembers the cost (he had all the tools and a truck).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Your going to need/want 4x4 posts for the legs, 2x6 for the structural sides, if you have a queen bed you need a center support, some slats to distribute load (1x4 will probably due), and bolts not screws since you probably will want to keep it and be able to move it.

My brother has made a bed frame like this, I will see if he remembers the cost (he had all the tools and a truck).

My dad built a bed exactly like this with drawers and stuff. I think he said the cost was <$80 because he had all the drawer furniture and hardware already. But he's a partner at an architectural firm and builds bunkhouses and house additions solo all the time, so the average person will probably have a lot more waste and a lot more of a time commitment.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

No Wave posted:

Even better:

I have that and it kicks rear end. Plus it comes apart and folds flat so when you move, it's not a giant pain in the rear end like a normal box spring.

I also bought it because it's not squeaky at all. gently caress sleeping on anything made of wood.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What the gently caress, these things cost $30 (or usually free with purchase of matress), are we really talking about a lay person building one and SAVING money?

I mean, I'm pretty loving cheap, I bought my matress at a flea market, but I still bought the $30 support rails.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Asking someone to learn construction skills to save some money on a bed is kind of ridiculous. Even if the materials and tools are 100% free (not happening), and you assign a worth of $0 to your own labor, it's still a big time investment to learn to build something that will sit level, won't collapse when you lie down on it, and won't frighten others who come into your bedroom.

Also, 2x4s are framing material. If you want to build furniture out of cheap wood there are less expensive and better looking options.

The appropriate thing to do in this case would be to take a single one of those $200 monthly payments, and go to Ikea to buy a cheap but serviceable bed, just like every other college/just-out-of-college age person in the first world.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Having tried to build a table this is not at all my experience. Plus this one is transportable, and it doesn't look like an amateur built it out of raw wood, which I think is also a plus.

The whole DIY thing is cool but there's a decent amount of embedded intelligence in successful products. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel every time because over time it's a net loser (I've tried). If I owned a house in the 'burbs with a toolshed and wanted to make it a hobby, fine, I can see the value in that, but for a young-ish programmer living in an apartment in Boston? No way.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Volmarias posted:

I had one from Costco and it squeaked HORRIDLY. Is the Amazon one better?

I loved the ease of transportation and storage it afforded me, but i couldn't stand the noise from moving around, let alone other activities...

Edit: Razz confirmed no noise. Win. Will be getting another once my gf and I have a guest room again vs my home office.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 24, 2014

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Mr.Radar posted:

More reddit, this time from the comments on a story in the economics subreddit about how many middle class families have no cash savings even though they have other assets:

quote:

quote:

[–]Iron-Fist 60 points 23 hours ago

Why have cash savings when you can have index funds?

Seriously, I thought it was obvious that saving was a poor person thing.

Boy do I feel dumb for have 25K in my savings for any emergencies and or home improvements.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Once you get to a certain asset level you don't really need a lot of cash sitting around if you don't have high debt levels. Just another reason why the rich get richer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

I had one from Costco and it squeaked HORRIDLY. Is the Amazon one better?

I loved the ease of transportation and storage it afforded me, but i couldn't stand the noise from moving around, let alone other activities...
Mine's silent. I was sold when I read someone in the reviews saying that they and their 300 pound husband sleep on it with no problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah, it isn't really that different if you're just talking transaction costs. Enough cash for "markets are closed and I need money today, not tomorrow" sort of emergencies is probably enough. The smug indignation of "saving is a poor person thing" is still funny but actually holding cash doesn't seem all that useful. That's why it's called an emergency fund, and for me it is a fixed amount, not proportional to my amount saved.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ranbo das posted:

You can get a surprising amount of lumber in a sedan if you put the seats down and leave it sticking out the back. You have to tie it down so it doesn't fly out the back and drive really carefully, but it can be done.

I actually managed to make a whole 6 shelf flat file art holder for my work in progress by having home depot cut all the wood and we managed to fit everything inside an older bmw 325. It's amazing what twine and bungie cord can do. Just don't drive on the freeway~

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
Saving in an index fund is still saving. The problem with most households isn't the asset allocation of their savings, but the fact that they aren't even doing it. Saying because you have good insurance and a steady paycheck right now is an excuse for savings is pretty short-sighted, since you're essentially one pink slip away from losing both of those things. Also it's pretty LOL that people still view homes as ATMs.

Essentially it boils down to "Why save, when I can go into debt."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Coworker on buying a house:

"It sucks that I can't qualify for a low income home. Why would anyone who is low income want a 3 story loft condo anyway. It's ridiculous you couldn't even have a kid in there. Also with my income I'd have to have at least 5 kids to be able to qualify, for a condo!"

So like I explained to her repeatedly there's no loving way you're getting a house without a 20% downpayment nowaday, nor is it responsible to even go about it that way. Sounds like her friend understands this too because...

"Yeah so I was bummed out about not being able to get the house, so my friend brought up that we should make a joint account for you and contribute money into it. I thought it was for a vacation and I'm like ohh yeah that's a great idea, but instead she wanted to give me 10 grand for a down payment. No way I could take that. I was insulted by it overall!"

So yeah, can't afford the house, makes too much to get home assistance, and refuses help from friends when trying to get a home. Well played all around.

Edit: OK so you can get a house without the 20% downpayment. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have 20% especially when the houses are under 150k

Veskit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 24, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Generally, saving implies putting part of your paycheck in cash. Investing would be used when putting money in index funds.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

So like I explained to her repeatedly there's no loving way you're getting a house without a 20% downpayment nowaday, nor is it responsible to even go about it that way. Sounds like her friend undersstands this too because...

This is not true at all. Myself and 10 of my friends (25-30) bought houses the last two years and we all out 5% down and have sub 4% interest

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

This is not true at all. Myself and 10 of my friends (25-30) bought houses the last two years and we all out 5% down and have sub 4% interest
I'd love to hear more details about how you did this, if you're willing to explain, maybe in the house buying thread since I don't want to derail this one..

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Can you link the thread? I will tonight

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

I love when people post judging how others are bad with money and are objectively wrong.

Spwrozek's situation isn't anecdotal at all either. Just look at FHA loan numbers. They would be near 0 if no one got sub 20% down loans.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

Spwrozek's situation isn't anecdotal at all either. Just look at FHA loan numbers. They would be near 0 if no one got sub 20% down loans.

Yeah but the tradeoff there is that at only 5% down you're throwing away money on PMI for the life of an FHA loan. Yeah you can refi to a standard mortgage later, but you'll likely still have to achieve 20%+ equity for that and in the meantime you're still pissing away money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

Yeah but the tradeoff there is that at only 5% down you're throwing away money on PMI for the life of an FHA loan. Yeah you can refi to a standard mortgage later, but you'll likely still have to achieve 20%+ equity for that and in the meantime you're still pissing away money.

5% conventional loan guys come on... The lender paid PMI was ~1500 up front. Done and done.

• Locked thread