Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well avoiding the standard Gundam plot entirely doesn't count, right? :v:

What I meant was they hadn't really tried to do anything extravagant or over-creative with the Gundam brand that might upset the higher-ups like Gundam 00 did. A well-written shonen series isn't likely to set off their alarms unless they go right off the reservation and start shooting people for losing or something.

00 wasn't extravagant or over-creative. The first season was pretty close to Gundam Wing, a well-proven and popular series in Japan, except played completely straight and serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Blackchamber posted:

I didn't say or mean to imply that her building skills weren't good, just that her gunpla aren't the overpowered killing machines that we see in the tournaments sporting trans-am systems, clear funnels, and so on and favor things like pretty red bows rather than gently caress-off missle packed/sniper rifle toting boosters.

Thats why I suggested the continued Aila China team up, one brings the cute the other brings the pain.

I was hoping for a Master Asia style usage of ribbons, I would love to see Ms Sazabi (or Bearguy) wrecking with those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, I'm all caught up finally.

Just in time to sit and wait for 24 with everyone else. :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

Well, I'm all caught up finally.

Just in time to sit and wait for 24 with everyone else. :negative:

Its out tomorrow so dont feel bad!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Also just caught up.

This show is loving awesome and I'm severely disappointed in myself that I brushed it off when it started. I hope that the team behind this actually get to make a real Gundamn show next, even with such low stakes they make the drama engaging, and the comedy doesn't overshadow it, the comedy and drama compliment each other really well, which only makes both better.

Can't wait for next episode.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

24 was everything I wanted and the preview for 25 justifies the fact that pretty much every good animator from the show has tweeted that they worked on it.

Is it next week yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also just caught up.

This show is loving awesome and I'm severely disappointed in myself that I brushed it off when it started. I hope that the team behind this actually get to make a real Gundamn show next, even with such low stakes they make the drama engaging, and the comedy doesn't overshadow it, the comedy and drama compliment each other really well, which only makes both better.

Can't wait for next episode.

A number of the staff members on this show worked on a 'real' Gundam show already. The director worked on Gundam 00 and Gundam AGE and the writer worked on Gundam 00. The likely answer is that they're getting a lot less Sunrise interference because the show is selling toys without actually needing to do or change anything. If they went back to a real Gundam show they'd probably be back to doing what marketing wants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aers posted:

24 was everything I wanted and the preview for 25 justifies the fact that pretty much every good animator from the show has tweeted that they worked on it.

Is it next week yet.

It's a little closer, but not yet :sigh:. I'm still hoping the RX-78-02 and Zaku get sucked into the Plavsky Particle Field, or that it expands far enough to reach them :pray:.

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little dickish the particle field just cuts out at the end of a round and drops the Gunpla like stones? "Yay, you won! Aww, your Gundam broke in half when it dropped two feet onto the gameboard".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uBPAmZZhnQ

Here you guys go.

Still watching, will post impressions in a bit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still hoping the RX-78-02 and Zaku get sucked into the Plavsky Particle Field, or that it expands far enough to reach them :pray:.
I KNOW RIGHT!?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

paragon1 posted:

I KNOW RIGHT!?

There's almost a 0% chance we won't get that. In fact, I bet we get a CCA Axis Shock moment with Reiji and Yuuki pushing back on the giant Axis asteroid that just spawned above the arena in the RX and Zaku while everybody in the arena whips out their personal gunpla to help stop it from crushing everybody.

EDIT:

The Missing Link fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Star Build Strike is Gundam of Gundams! At least, that's what that pose reminded me of. Also, holy poo poo I can't wait for the next episode.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's like all of our jokes and dreams for this show came true. Bandai, please ship the HG Axis :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Missing Link posted:

There's almost a 0% chance we won't get that. In fact, I bet we get a CCA Axis Shock moment with Reiji and Yuuki pushing back on the giant Axis asteroid that just spawned above the arena in the RX and Zaku while everybody in the arena whips out their personal gunpla to help stop it from crushing everybody.

EDIT:

Unless the giant asteroid in some way corresponds to the plavsky crystal then I can't see how this could possibly happen given that the asteroid in the game is just an image made of mass-less particles by a computer to spice up the plastic robot fights. It's more likely that Mashita will release all the models stored in the system out of desperation, prompting everyone to join in and help defeat them. I hope even Czoimmer, Luang and all the other contestants get in on the action too. Giant RX-78-2 and giant Zaku presumably following after or during this point of course.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty great episode!

I loved how they showed that while Yuuki still has his combat reflexes, the chairman at the helm is a complete moron when it comes to tactics and ended up hurting his chances more than anything else by controlling Yuuki.

Also a Build Knuckle finish that doesn't feel phoned in.

"They punched it so hard the evil came off."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nothing gets me more pumped up in a show as when a shows original theme song plays during the big climactic moment.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 24, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh god, I know who's going to pilot the giant Zaku II... We saw him last episode. More importantly holy poo poo that preview. If that doesn't get you amped as hell for the last episode, I don't know what can.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo!

Get here faster, my Gunpla (models that I bought on the internet :v:)!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty great episode!

Also a Build Knuckle finish that doesn't feel phoned in.

Don't think its a spoiler when the previous episode preview mentions the build knuckle.

And dammit it shouldn't be spoilered because it's something that should be celebrated openly. Only other time the build knuckle wasn't crammed down our throats was the the Fenice battle which was also epic, it went over the drat top with it here and felt good doing it. If you haven't seen this episode yet (why are you here reading?!) this is going to be a drat treat.

Also the DM Exia was pretty drat boss. I've been watching 00 and I didn't really dig the original (the gn drive sticking out of its back is ugly, I'm sorry), but the DM with its sharpened edges and menacing color scheme is getting put on my shopping list.

Finally the next episode preview looks like its going to prove my theory about how awesome a second season would have been if it was fleet sized battles with fat squads of suits attacking large defended targets. Sei Squadron, just sayin...

Also, how does everyone know how well the kits are selling from this show? Some website? More importantly if this show is moving mountains of plastic... any chance they will be milking this and release other gunpla featured in the show? Who's got the inside track on this?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

Also the DM Exia was pretty drat boss. I've been watching 00 and I didn't really dig the original (the gn drive sticking out of its back is ugly, I'm sorry), but the DM with its sharpened edges and menacing color scheme is getting put on my shopping list.

There's actually a reason it's exposed on the Exia like that: The entire design forsakes armor for speed and reflexes. Those purple strips on the legs and hanging between the shoulders and upper arms are unprotected data cables, and I guess the exposed GN drive lets it move faster or something.

Blackchamber posted:

Finally the next episode preview looks like its going to prove my theory about how awesome a second season would have been if it was fleet sized battles with fat squads of suits attacking large defended targets. Sei Squadron, just sayin...

This is just silly and awesome-sounding. Clearly the second season would involve them moving up to Master Grade kits.

edit:

Blackchamber posted:

Also, how does everyone know how well the kits are selling from this show? Some website? More importantly if this show is moving mountains of plastic... any chance they will be milking this and release other gunpla featured in the show? Who's got the inside track on this?

They are definitely selling gangbusters. HLJ's sold-out on most of the BF kits.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 24, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's like all of our jokes and dreams for this show came true. Bandai, please ship the HG Axis :allears:

No, not HG. RG Axis. Complete with the six digit price tag (in yen). :colbert:

Anyway this was an awesome episode. Baker's little speech about World Domination and the Chairman just going "nah, just wanna be rich and live an easy life" drat near killed me. Part of me hoped that when the SBS went back for the other arm it would toss it Dai-Guard style and we'd get some sort of Build Rocket Knuckle or something, but the finisher was still all right. And oh poo poo that teaser. :allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Something tells me that Mashita's own assessment as a criminal is considerably higher than it really is. He's expecting Reiji, the prince of Arian to recognize him, but for all we know he's just some guy who stole the planet's equivalent of an air conditioner.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually a reason it's exposed on the Exia like that: The entire design forsakes armor for speed and reflexes. Those purple strips on the legs and hanging between the shoulders and upper arms are unprotected data cables, and I guess the exposed GN drive lets it move faster or something.

They are definitely selling gangbusters. HLJ's sold-out on most of the BF kits.

Yeah I knew the Exia was built for speed, but the cancerous lump on his back is just ugly to me. It really sticks out there like some sort of reverse pregnancy. The other suits that use the pseudo gn drives that have theirs sticking out likewise are ugly even if they have cool lance guns and shields.

The Exia DM kit has some sort of tri-bladed option that goes there instead and that looks much more bad-rear end. I'll grab atleast one, its not a double tap for me like the GM K9 though. Might get the booster also though if I get into recoloring kits.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TARDISman posted:

Something tells me that Mashita's own assessment as a criminal is considerably higher than it really is. He's expecting Reiji, the prince of Arian to recognize him, but for all we know he's just some guy who stole the planet's equivalent of an air conditioner.

I'm beginning to think that's exactly the case. Reiji was probably like, two, when he was exiled. He's already met him in person and has no idea who this guy is. If he had just left well enough alone and not kept meddling in things with his Arista Sei and Reiji would probably have never suspected him of any wrongdoing or had reason to question his identity or motives.

Caros
May 14, 2008

What I want to know is how they took a model that looks as bad in theory is the DM Exia and made it look so beautiful on screen.

I will admit I'm kind of sad that I was wrong last week. I figured we were going to see glowing red part embody system rather than the Trans-Am that we actually saw out of it. Then again they did the Trans-Am well too, so who am I to complain?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

I'm beginning to think that's exactly the case. Reiji was probably like, two, when he was exiled. He's already met him in person and has no idea who this guy is. If he had just left well enough alone and not kept meddling in things with his Arista Sei and Reiji would probably have never suspected him of any wrongdoing or had reason to question his identity or motives.

This was pretty much confirmed when Reiji met Mashita. Mashita's entire thing is that he's a petty insecure idiot with delusions of grandeur, which is totally in character for a petty thief who suddenly found a way to get rich and feel like he's untouchable for an extended period of time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AFter seeing this episode.... I really want an mg of the dark matter. :psyduck: I can't believe I'm saying this, but this episode made it look so goddamn cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

What I want to know is how they took a model that looks as bad in theory is the DM Exia and made it look so beautiful on screen.

I will admit I'm kind of sad that I was wrong last week. I figured we were going to see glowing red part embody system rather than the Trans-Am that we actually saw out of it. Then again they did the Trans-Am well too, so who am I to complain?

The end of the fight certainly didn't quite go how I expected it. I was expecting the point of the last stage of the fight to be to let the DM Exia burn out it's three minutes of Trans-AM time and then break out the Build Knuckle to finish while it's weakened.

Kanos posted:

This was pretty much confirmed when Reiji met Mashita. Mashita's entire thing is that he's a petty insecure idiot with delusions of grandeur, which is totally in character for a petty thief who suddenly found a way to get rich and feel like he's untouchable for an extended period of time.

What amused me was it looks like Blair started out as a big Gunpla fan too. It's Gundam fandom all the way from top to bottom :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

AFter seeing this episode.... I really want an mg of the dark matter. :psyduck: I can't believe I'm saying this, but this episode made it look so goddamn cool.

Yeah, no loving poo poo. The preview art for the Dark Matter looked horrible but jesus gently caress it looked great in motion.

That loving detachable shoulder/chest booster thing was cool as hell.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

One thing that I did like is that the DM Exia was a lot more well armed than the standard since it had the booster and the ability to produce beam sabres from its wrists.

If they give us an Mg I'll buy it. I have bought every MG and several of the HG models for this show because frankly they deserve my money at this point and if that is the price I pay for more Build Fighters them I will happily buy all the plastic toys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

If we can get it without the lovely "Dark Matter" color scheme and just regular Gundam colors, sure.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

If we can get it without the lovely "Dark Matter" color scheme and just regular Gundam colors, sure.

Aren't the anime and the actual figures color schemes different? Like in the anime it looks pretty good but the actual kit looks garish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Aren't the anime and the actual figures color schemes different? Like in the anime it looks pretty good but the actual kit looks garish.

The kit is a particularly retina-searing shade of red, yes.

Here's one of the reviews for it off GundamGuy if you want a look

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They really should have made a standard Exia-colours version of that kit.

Also Mashita is exactly the kind of person who would go crazy for jRPG fire and ice swords.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The kit is a particularly retina-searing shade of red, yes.

Here's one of the reviews for it off GundamGuy if you want a look
I have never seen a kit more in need of a matte coating.

Edit Also, sword/gun/splayed hands. Wonderful.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I wasn't keen on the colors at first either, the little off-purple bits peppered in the red/black that irked me more than anything.

But of course this show makes it seem so bad-rear end and sells the menacing black/red scheme that I'm ok with it. I don't think 'regular' colors would be right either though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I paint my kits anyway, so I'm set :colbert:. Besides the color scheme in the show has a different shade of red, so it looks way better.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What amused me was it looks like Blair started out as a big Gunpla fan too. It's Gundam fandom all the way from top to bottom :allears:

You mean Baker, right? I thought it was kind of appropriate that the only reason PPSE is involved in Gunpla to begin with was because the first person Mashita ran into in our world was a Sayla cosplayer :v:

EDIT: also I noticed that no one commented that this episode finally confirmed RAMBA IS ACTUALLY HIS FIRST NAME

3 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 24, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

3 posted:

You mean Baker, right? I thought it was kind of appropriate that the only reason PPSE is involved in Gunpla to begin with was because the first person Mashita ran into in our world was a Sayla cosplayer :v:

What's funny about that to me up til now Baker was a simple lackey really, and in the end the one she's the one with world domination ambitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

What's funny about that to me up til now Baker was a simple lackey really, and in the end the one she's the one with world domination ambitions.

I also liked that Baker's ambition is relatively low. He doesn't have some big world changing ideas, he just likes being rich and lazy. Nice change of pace from the usual gundam stuff.

• Locked thread