Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
SW4 is amazing. It is the game I have wanted since SW2E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

If you never had a 3DS or played SW:Chronicles, I think you'll enjoy it. If you have, and you liked the game, you'll enjoy it. Sounds like enough was stolen from that game and packed into 4 that I can make that estimate.
That's kind of an oxymoron since because I haven't played SW:Chronicles, I have no idea why you would say that and why it would be an endorsement of this game.

Have the animations improved from the previous games? Compared to DW's, they haven't come practically anywhere from the original game, as of Orochi 3 anyway.

I am really strongly considering it though. I was planning on buying Infamous Second Son, but the annoyances I had in 2 would probably just continue into SS and cause me to drop it. I haven't made up my mind though, it will be one or the other.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 22, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If anyone wants to see how the Vita version of Samurai 4 turned out, this dude recorded himself playing it through Vita TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHhc9qxH9w

edit: Wow, this guy actually seems to have gameplay footage of every Vita Warriors game. If you're interested in seeing how any of them perform, check his channel out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's kind of an oxymoron since because I haven't played SW:Chronicles, I have no idea why you would say that and why it would be an endorsement of this game.

Just off the recommendation that it brings a lot of new elements to the game that you're not familiar with, it's not entirely the same ol' same ol' which seemed to be part of your complaint with 3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

Just off the recommendation that it brings a lot of new elements to the game that you're not familiar with, it's not entirely the same ol' same ol' which seemed to be part of your complaint with 3.
No actually that wasn't my complaint about 3 at all; it was flawed gameplay-wise in ways that most other Musou games are not. I need assurances from people who have played both 3 and 4 that 4 is not.

edit: the reviews on amazon.jp look very good though, things like "there is no comparison to 3" and "Did the same staff really make this game?" so maybe I will just do it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 22, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So apparently Dynasty Warriors 8 is coming to PC in Japanese in a couple days? Has anything changed since 7 to make it at all difficult for someone who has been playing since the PS1 games to make it through the campaign without speaking the language?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Verranicus posted:

Has anything changed since 7 to make it at all difficult for someone who has been playing since the PS1 games to make it through the campaign without speaking the language?

Nope! And the Koei Wiki has you covered on translating weapon stuff.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lunethex posted:

Nope! And the Koei Wiki has you covered on translating weapon stuff.

Excellent. Thanks.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

No actually that wasn't my complaint about 3 at all; it was flawed gameplay-wise in ways that most other Musou games are not. I need assurances from people who have played both 3 and 4 that 4 is not.

edit: the reviews on amazon.jp look very good though, things like "there is no comparison to 3" and "Did the same staff really make this game?" so maybe I will just do it.

What were your problems with 3? I found that the pacing was very, very slow, levels felt a bit empty and characters' attacks felt relatively ineffective. 4 definitely fixes all of that. The new Musou attacks in particular look great.

edit: Looking at Amazon reviews, I'd forgotten how weak friendly characters were in 3, even more so than in 2 which had an awful lot of "sprint across the map right now or else" stuff in it. 4 sidesteps that by letting you send your partner - and actually, I've found the partner intelligent enough to move where they need to go right away without direction so far, so you can just wait a few moments, defeat the enemies you're facing and just hit Select to be in the right place. It gets rid of a lot of the lulls which have been part of the series.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 22, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, in the end I bought and downloaded 4. I've played four or so stages and drat it's good. The new high speed attack method makes the non-officer-fighting part of the game completely different...if I can remember to do it. Also the environment graphics look really presentable across the board for maybe the first time in series history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, in the end I bought and downloaded 4. I've played four or so stages and drat it's good. The new high speed attack method makes the non-officer-fighting part of the game completely different...if I can remember to do it. Also the environment graphics look really presentable across the board for maybe the first time in series history.

What's the new high speed attack method like?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I wouldn't want another musou type game on xbox anyways after that AWFUL loving slowdown port that was dynasty warriors 8.

Oh, quit being melodramatic. It was perfectly playable, and a big step up from having no access to the game whatsoever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

What's the new high speed attack method like?
Now, if you just hit triangle repeatedly, you will do a new kind of normal attack that makes you dash forward a long way with each hit, hitting everything on the way. If you hit square at any of the junctions, it does a of charge attack, so basically its a whole new set of attacks with the opposite command is the opposite of normal attacking. It's ineffective against officers though; it will just bounce off them.

It's the biggest change to the Musou mechanics since the ill-fated renbu system in dw6, but much more useful.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 22, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, quit being melodramatic. It was perfectly playable, and a big step up from having no access to the game whatsoever.

Had I gotten the xbox version I probably would have just accepted the slowdown that happened, I probably would have eventually seen the comparison videos between PS3 and 360, and I probably would've been a *little* melodramatic too. But I would have shifted to Playstation as the default version if I hadn't by then anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now, if you just hit triangle repeatedly, you will do a new kind of normal attack that makes you dash forward a long way with each hit, hitting everything on the way. If you hit square at any of the junctions, it does a of charge attack, so basically its a whole new set of attacks with the opposite command is the opposite of normal attacking. It's ineffective against officers though; it will just bounce off them.

It's the biggest change to the Musou mechanics since the ill-fated renbu system in dw6, but much more useful.

Huh, that sounds pretty ineresting and a lot better than Renbu.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that sounds pretty ineresting and a lot better than Renbu.
You can see examples from all the linked videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTAXfNB9ynA

The movement with the blue trail is done by just hitting triangle repeatedly.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I really wish they would release PC versions in the West. Japanese games are becoming more popular on Steam (or more common, at least), and I don't think they'd really have to do too much more work to bring the PC versions over. The last one that was released on PC in English was 6, right?

I say this mainly because I don't want to get a next gen console for a few years, but I want the new Warriors games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PureRok posted:

The last one that was released on PC in English was 6, right?

DW6/SW2/WO1, whichever was later.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know I say this every time, but why can't every period of war in history have a Musou game? People say it would cause historical problems because of guns and stuff but Musou has little girls in pretty dresses firing loving lasers out of their hands and poo poo, so what is left to complain about?

edit: her and Motochika doing their musou attacks back to back was something to behold.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 24, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, presumably you'd need people who care about the conflict or period in question so they'll go out and buy it. These games are predominantly aimed at the Asian/Japanese market in general and we in the West are kind of like the afterthought, so if the period doesn't work over there then they probably just wont make it. Japan loves Warring States, all of Asia loves Three Kingdoms, anime nerds love One Piece/Gundam/Fist of the North Star/Kamen Rider/Saint Seiya so we can cash out on that. I'm guessing the Japanese don't really give much of a poo poo about the Trojan War or the Hundred Years War so that's why Warriors: Legends of Troy and Bladestorm didn't exactly catch on fire.

I can recall people making jokes about wanting to see Musou games based off conflicts like the American Civil War since the early PS2 generation, like "Civil Warriors" and you've got Ben Franklin and his weapon is a kite and his Musou attack has it launch thunder bombs or Abraham Lincoln stomping around with twin axes cutting down red coats or whatever. It's a fun idea but I'm guessing TK doesn't really think making World War Musou, Yugoslav Musou, Emu Musou, though now that I'm writing it I think it'd be really god drat funny to have a Musou game built around pissed off Aussies fighting emus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solve the problem by making a Fate/Musou.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, yeah. Inside, I know that's really the case. Stupid games made for normal people instead of the very specific desires of people in threads like this.

Anyway, having two characters but who don't need to be near each other is another major innovation. Now, if I have two objectives, I can just send the other character to the other one on the other side of the map, and then switch to them when they get there. Boring travel time is basically a thing of the past. I hope all this stuff gets into the Sangoku series.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, yeah. Inside, I know that's really the case. Stupid games made for normal people instead of the very specific desires of people in threads like this.

Anyway, having two characters but who don't need to be near each other is another major innovation. Now, if I have two objectives, I can just send the other character to the other one on the other side of the map, and then switch to them when they get there. Boring travel time is basically a thing of the past. I hope all this stuff gets into the Sangoku series.

Wait, is this really an option in Samurai Warriors 4? You can have two characters at once on the map and switch between them?

If so, DW8 Empires might be the best thing Koei will make on PS4.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

Solve the problem by making a Fate/Musou.

Do not pursue Lu Bu Gilgamesh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just go the whole hog and add all the Type Moon properties. I'm sure they have enough vampires and ancient heroes and whatever to match a standard Musou roster by now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just imagine an American Civil War musou.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

We need a Liberty or Death musou like yesterday.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

5er posted:

Sherman's got a plume of flames behind him, Grant and Burnside have beards/sideburns rivaling those of Guan Yu. Goddamn it'd be beautiful. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

Wait, is this really an option in Samurai Warriors 4? You can have two characters at once on the map and switch between them?

If so, DW8 Empires might be the best thing Koei will make on PS4.
Yeah, you just hit up on the dpad and it opens a map where you can set the objective of your other character. Also, by default, if two objectives start at the same time, they will usually automatically start heading for the further away one. Then, you just hit select to switch to them at any time.

edit: the other character doesn't seem to build xp or collect weapons and stuff unless you are controlling them, though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

General Robert E. Lee wields a giant marble pillar statue of himself, engraved with 'State's Rights'.

5er fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One problem with the civil war is that existing Musou games portray each side as being "right" in their own way, that means they would have to say slavery is right.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Samurai Sanders posted:

One problem with the civil war is that existing Musou games portray each side as being "right" in their own way, that means they would have to say slavery is right.
Isn't this a fairly recent addition to the Dynasty Warriors franchise? I don't have a ton of experience with the earlier games, but I remember lord Cow Cow being portrayed as an unambiguous greedy/selfish bad guy until DW7.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Civil War really can't be whimsied out due to the slavery topic. It's still entertaining to joke about bearing in mind it'd be in remarkably poor taste.

DW8 Complete doesn't look like something that can be obtained preorder off the PSN, and Amazon isn't a retail vector for it. Bleh, I hate dealing with GameStop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kissekatt posted:

Isn't this a fairly recent addition to the Dynasty Warriors franchise? I don't have a ton of experience with the earlier games, but I remember lord Cow Cow being portrayed as an unambiguous greedy/selfish bad guy until DW7.

It's not even entirely true, DW 7 took a hatchet to the idealistic Shu faction and basically portrayed Liu Bei as an opportunistic coward who used his ideals as an excuse for switching allegiances depending on where the wind was blowing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not even entirely true, DW 7 took a hatchet to the idealistic Shu faction and basically portrayed Liu Bei as an opportunistic coward who used his ideals as an excuse for switching allegiances depending on where the wind was blowing.
The hatcheting isn't until Jin's story, until then it's more of "alternate looks at the characters" such as the different takes between Shu and Wu's stories on the Jing Province conflict, and in general Shu's story seems to be more about taking the most benevolent (pun not intended) view of Shu's actions while Wei and Wu's were way less generous. The story of Jin on the other hand is that Shu's original intentions are besides the point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After enjoying Toukiden I've been feeling good about Omega Force so I was thinking of getting Dynasty Warriors 8XL tomorrow. (Also I just like playing stuff on the Vita)

Problem is whenever I've tried any Musou games in the past I've been terrible at them. This is strange to me because I'm generally pretty good at video games and the series doesn't have a reputation of being particularly hard. Does anyone know of any good "How to not suck at Dynasty Warriors" videos/websites/whatevers I could check out? Something like this Revengeance video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The Moon Monster posted:

After enjoying Toukiden I've been feeling good about Omega Force so I was thinking of getting Dynasty Warriors 8XL tomorrow. (Also I just like playing stuff on the Vita)

Problem is whenever I've tried any Musou games in the past I've been terrible at them. This is strange to me because I'm generally pretty good at video games and the series doesn't have a reputation of being particularly hard. Does anyone know of any good "How to not suck at Dynasty Warriors" videos/websites/whatevers I could check out? Something like this Revengeance video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

Here's a few little notes that I've noticed my friends could benefit from since they don't play musou games that often:

1: Burn meter. Seriously, there's no reason to save it especially on early difficulties, so just get out there and sweep the entire time period dry. It's also a get out of jail free card if an enemy catches you in a combo a lot of the time.
2: As of 7 and 8 they've made horses so much better and convenient, always ride those to your objectives and you won't regret it.
3: Blocking is very important, and temporarily puts the camera behind you. Feel free to tap block every now and then to recenter the camera and keep an eye on your surroundings. Not much is breaking your block quickly.
4: If an enemy seems ridiculously high leveled and no one is saying you HAVE to beat that character (like say, Lu Bu for instance) avoiding/running away is a fine option.
5: You don't have to cut down every single soldier you see, they don't have much of an effect on the field on their own. Just focus on officers and maybe some lieutenants if you want some power up drops.
6: You're expected to beat lower difficulties before moving to higher ones, skills and weapons really start to matter the further in you go.

I can't think of anything else right now but honestly just those first two tips are enough to get through Easy/Normal for the most part. Spend some time learning weapons and how to juggle with them and you'll get your own feel for the game before delving into harder stuff to grind for better weapons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is coming to PS4.

I'm guessing after Tecmo Koei works things out with Sony, we'll see another PS3/Vita/PS4 release.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is coming to PS4.

I'm guessing after Tecmo Koei works things out with Sony, we'll see another PS3/Vita/PS4 release.

The current versions already have a boatload of men on screen, I can't wait to see what it looks like on PS4, with the reported 150 guys.

quote:

Have the PlayStation 3 or Vita versions? You can use cross save to continue your game on PlayStation 4.

Hell yes :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
ANOTHER version of Orochi 3? It's a drat good game but it's already gotten so many more revisions than any other Musou game. The stages beyond the vanilla content are pretty lame, too. The way it ends though, it looks like there won't be another sequel, not of this format anyway.

edit: in Sengoku 4, the gap in difficulty between normal and hard seems way smaller than in any game I have played before. Enemies do more damage, but they don't seem to take very much more damage or be much more aggressive. I can blow through a mid-difficulty (by the stage's star rating) stage with a character starting at level 1. I can't tell if that's an improvement over the usual or not. The balancing of difficulty levels is my #1 complaint about this franchise, they can never seem to get it right.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 25, 2014