Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NICE!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heresiarch posted:

you think you're making a counterargument, that's adorable

no I don't, I didn't say anything in that article was wrong

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

There's a faint popping noise, and the entire wall of the incident room shifts to the colour of the night sky above a Japanese city.

i see what you did there, charles stross

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

haveblue posted:

no I don't, I didn't say anything in that article was wrong

fair enough

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

yeah 'the lego movie is an enjoyable movie' and 'the lego movie is a good example of modern self-effacing corporate marketing' aren't mutually exclusive

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i was unnecessarily snarky because i hadn't had lunch yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the "overpriced bucket of bricks" products that guy doesn't like are really the best kind of legos because they're an outlet for unstructured play and creativity. the movie even pops a blink-and-you'll-miss-it squat on model kit legos and bionicle at one point

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

new cosmos 3 synopsis so stymie can have his fake outrage posts:

neil kidnaps a white baby and transports him across state lines by flying away into outer space and he explains the meaning of nullius in verba

then neil says that halley's verifiable predictions are more interesting and useful than any hocus pocus prophecies made by assorted flim flam men

yeah that was pretty uh, terrible

i liked the part about newton, where they didn't quite say he had wasted his dumb gay life on alchemy and trying to predict the second coming of christ but it was heavily implied

shame they didn't mention his chronic virginity

oh, and he was voiced by cary elwes i think, which didn't really seem fitting for such an assburger

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lmbo i had no interest in watching the new cosmos after the first one was so terrible but that sounds too terrible not to watch

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

i was unnecessarily snarky because i hadn't had lunch yet

i too know this feeling

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i knew nucosmos was going to be bad but i thought it was going to be bad in a flashy, tacky, over-budgeted way

not in that way AND with militant atheist tilting at windmills

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

i knew nucosmos was going to be bad but i thought it was going to be bad in a flashy, tacky, over-budgeted way

not in that way AND with militant atheist tilting at windmills

i expected so much more from neil. i'm really hoping he got stuck into some contract because he's not a hollywood guy and didnt realize he was going to have no creative control and there wasn nothing he could do about it

also i am blaming brannon braga for everything

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'm a militant agnostic

i don't know, and neither do you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
brannon braga and seth mcfarlane both shoulder the burden of nucosmos' failure

neil tyson should just be ashamed of his involvement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the big problem with that episode was that he totally glossed how orbits actually work and newton's analogy

the stuff about the history of fish was all true btw

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

neil tyson should just be ashamed of his involvement

wait, should't you be reactionary against people proscribing positions for others and demanding they fit into their preconcieved notions?

like you're fitting neatly into the paradigm that makes dave chapelle clam up on stage, a position i think you'd quite enjoy attacking

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawnV6 posted:

wait, should't you be reactionary against people proscribing positions for others and demanding they fit into their preconcieved notions?

like you're fitting neatly into the paradigm that makes dave chapelle clam up on stage, a position i think you'd quite enjoy attacking

i have no idea what you're talking about

i just want atheist crap out of mainstream science discussion already and especially out of products of carl sagan's legacy because carl sagan owned

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

i just want atheist crap out of mainstream science discussion already and especially out of products of carl sagan's legacy because carl sagan owned

agreed, stymie. death to all atheists.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

right, and in doing that you stated your unequivocal dissatisfaction with a black man's part in it and the way you'd like him to act

i'd love it if you'd stuck to the core of your argument, but it'd be nice if you didn't swerve over into white supremacist territory at the same time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
noted theist carl sagan

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

do not confront the stymie, if you make a good point he will just morph into other contrarian opinions and sidestep

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Socracheese posted:

do not confront the stymie, if you make a good point he will just morph into other contrarian opinions and sidestep

naw this point is solid, 'sidestep' will be a page without stymie before barging in yet another contrarian line

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawnV6 posted:

right, and in doing that you stated your unequivocal dissatisfaction with a black man's part in it and the way you'd like him to act

i'd love it if you'd stuck to the core of your argument, but it'd be nice if you didn't swerve over into white supremacist territory at the same time

the core of my argument is that atheism has no place in science discussion, especially in a revisiting of cosmos since carl sagan was emphatically NOT an atheist and repudiated the modern religion of atheism

i choose to ignore your sjw race baiting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, so it's only sjw race baiting when someone else does it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

i choose to ignore your sjw race baiting

right, it was totally on me that you found yourself in good company with white supremacists. sorry sorry, I should let you demand performance from black men on YOUR terms without interference.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawnV6 posted:

right, it was totally on me that you found yourself in good company with white supremacists. sorry sorry, I should let you demand performance from black men on YOUR terms without interference.

keep on keepin' on buddy, love all your assumptions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
actually, i take that back

brannon braga and seth mcfarlane bear the entire burden of the fate of nucosmos

neil tyson is blameless in his advancement of philosophies/religions that fly in the face of his mentor's legacy and actively harms the position that he ostensibly aims to support

Stymie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2014

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

i started the man in the high castle, a couple chapters in now

is this what worldbuilding is supposed to look like?

finished this up over the weekend

can't decide what actually occurred during the ending. it almost seems like pkd built up this elaborate set then in the last few pages tore it all down, poo poo all over it, and laughed at me for liking it ever

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

neil tyson is blameless in his advancement of philosophies/religions that fly in the face of his mentor's legacy

is that all it takes for you to do a complete 180 in full view of everyone? staying out a page would've let you keep some mystique about the whole production

this is just embarassing

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

can't we all just take a step back and relax, and agree that if u think a big invisible man invented the earth then you are a goddamned idiot?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Socracheese posted:

can't we all just take a step back and relax, and agree that if u think a big invisible man invented the earth then you are a goddamned idiot?

i think if you care about whether or not an invisible man invented the earth then you're an idiot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i think if you care about whether or not an invisible man invented the earth then you're an idiot

very clever young man, but it's idiots all the way down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

finished this up over the weekend

can't decide what actually occurred during the ending. it almost seems like pkd built up this elaborate set then in the last few pages tore it all down, poo poo all over it, and laughed at me for liking it ever

dick used the i ching irl to help write the book so I've always blamed that for the ending

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

infernal machines posted:

very clever young man, but it's idiots all the way down

that's very true

if you're alive and breathing then you're an idiot. if you're not alive then you were an idiot.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawnV6 posted:

"i've got you now, you devil!!"

these are my favorite kinds of posts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

not as much of one as those who quote or engage stymie

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

haveblue posted:

dick used the i ching irl to help write the book so I've always blamed that for the ending

:psyduck: well then gently caress, that's another layer on it

honestly i think i would've let it slide if i hadn't just read through the trope definitions that've been posted in the past few pages, or at least not brought this much attention to it

i just got the sense that the characters themselves figured out they were in a fiction and before any of them could dig into that concept the pages ran out but idk, i... ijdk

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

stoutfish posted:

the best 80s scifi film is actually space mutiny

it's a metaphor for apartheid.

Brick HardMeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU