Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Research would suggest that the Liquid Gold paints are not airbrush-friendly at all, with brush clogging and difficult cleanup being issues. Apparently the finish can also spray on rough, as these paints are alcohol-based and alcohol evaporates much faster than water.

Vallejo's Model Air line is specifically formulated for airbrushing and includes a good range of metallics: that's probably going to be your better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I bought a vallejo airbrush kit that came with paint a few years ago, haven't used it a lot but not not at all. One day I go to spray some metallic gold and the paint had completely split, and the pigment had hardened at the bottom of the little eye dropper thing the paint comes in. All of my metallics had. I was an unhappy camper. All my normal paints were right though, I finished (badly) spraying the romulan warbird I also had that I wanted to paint (was originally going to do the Enterprise E in gold). The metallics when they actually work are very nice though.

Good thing my hobby shop has a full range of vallejo model air paints :unsmith:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HGAC Wing Zero, HG 00 Raiser, and SRC Genesic GaoGaiGar are on their way. Thank God I grabbed GGGG during HLJ's Black Friday sale - that's a pricey figure otherwise.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Picked up a sweet MG Rick Dom, char's. I assumed it was from the novels but the title on the box reads "gihren's something" I can't read Kanji. Anyone know what does it refer to? It's my first zeon model btw, a choice between that and a black tri stars zaku.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kingtheninja posted:

Picked up a sweet MG Rick Dom, char's. I assumed it was from the novels but the title on the box reads "gihren's something" I can't read Kanji. Anyone know what does it refer to? It's my first zeon model btw, a choice between that and a black tri stars zaku.

It's from a really popular game series called Gihren's Ambition/Greed (Gihren no Yabou). It's a military strategy game like those Nobunaga's Ambition games from years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

It's from a really popular game series called Gihren's Ambition/Greed (Gihren no Yabou). It's a military strategy game like those Nobunaga's Ambition games from years ago.

There are a number of ace variants that spring from that series. In those games you choose a faction, and it starts the conflict at that point, but you can really do things to mess with the canonical history went. The RX-78-CA (guess who drives that one) is another one that came from the Ghiren's Greed series.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

You should get the Zaku as well and start a Freaky Friday shelf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How's the base that comes with the Plavisky-Wing Star Build Strike? It looks like it's decent for display, if not as dynamic as a proper action base.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

hallo spacedog posted:

Oh man I remember Gihren's Greed! I wanted to import it for playstation way back when, but figured the language barrier for a tactical game would be a bit much. Still though, the manual depicts some parts from the novels (amuro blowing up in front of char) and seemed like a good zeon buy. These were at my friend's local nerd store, he also had a Zaku Amazing which I'm assuming is from build fighters because it looked hilarious.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Midjack posted:

There are a number of ace variants that spring from that series. In those games you choose a faction, and it starts the conflict at that point, but you can really do things to mess with the canonical history went. The RX-78-CA (guess who drives that one) is another one that came from the Ghiren's Greed series.

We have 2 or 3 PG RX-78-2's hanging around (that we got on super sale at some point) and I'm still planning on painting one of them red because of that, when I finally get around to it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Leper Colon V posted:

How's the base that comes with the Plavisky-Wing Star Build Strike? It looks like it's decent for display, if not as dynamic as a proper action base.
That's pretty accurate, the normal actionbase has adjustable arms. The one with the SBS is fixed pose.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

poo poo, related question to my earlier one. Do either of the Red Frame master grades come with the striker pack adapter? My initial plan was to plug in the Launcher pack to simulate the KoG's Buster Rock, but looking at dalong neither of the Red Frame MGs seem to have it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The bases that come packaged in kits are always the same thing and they're pretty serviceable considering you basically get them for free. I think the one that comes with the Destiny is slightly difference since it comes with a part that lets you use both slots for fighting. But if money isn't an object, get the action bases. Being able to do proper positioning is a beautiful thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Kingtheninja posted:

I realize what you're referring to now, but googling "Gihren's Rick Dom", I was really wishing that somehow this kit had escaped my attention:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The Gihren's Greed alternate suits are all wicked awesome and they need more art and more kits and more everything.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Finished the HG Build Strike Full Package. I enjoyed putting it together, but there were way too many seals. Probably going to be my last HG as I'd like to move onto MGs now.

and more images here: http://imgur.com/a/V4nBr

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

unpurposed posted:

Finished the HG Build Strike Full Package. I enjoyed putting it together, but there were way too many seals. Probably going to be my last HG as I'd like to move onto MGs now.

That looks pretty cool, but that blue is almost too blue. Also, aren't the guns on the side supposed to be a different color?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That looks pretty cool, but that blue is almost too blue. Also, aren't the guns on the side supposed to be a different color?

The Full Package guns are supposed to be grey and blue with red handles.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:swoon: I want everything in the world to be that shade of blue. I wish these builders would tell what kind of paints they used, I need to paint every kit I own that color.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

unpurposed posted:

Base lookin like it aint never see a dishrag.

S-Alpha posted:

:swoon: I want everything in the world to be that shade of blue. I wish these builders would tell what kind of paints they used, I need to paint every kit I own that color.

Jesus. I love the unicorn and have an HGUC of it but I don't think I could ever bring myself to build the MG with all those lil armor parts :O

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The package lies. The kit's entirely blue with white detail stickers. On a side-note about the BSFP, I'm surprised they hosed up one of the easiest detailing jobs - the guns. They're white in the show, and all they needed was some metallic green stickers for the charging lights... and instead they went with generic gun grey :iiam:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Jesus. I love the unicorn and have an HGUC of it but I don't think I could ever bring myself to build the MG with all those lil armor parts :O

I've built two MG Unicorns, have one sitting unbuilt until I'm a good enough modeller to do it justice, and I'm probably gonna get at least two more in the future.

I need serious help. It's me, I'm part of the problem keeping Bandai making recolors.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

S-Alpha posted:

I've built two MG Unicorns, have one sitting unbuilt until I'm a good enough modeller to do it justice, and I'm probably gonna get at least two more in the future.

What the gently caress man? All unicorn? Not even banshee or Phenex?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Yeah, you can see here that they're supposed to be more than just straight blue: .
I'm going to have to pick up some point at some point and paint them up because they look strange otherwise.

DamnGlitch posted:

Haha, I'm not sure what this means. I used the extra base from my SD Delta Plus, which obviously doesn't look too great.

Is there a clear action base 2, by the way?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No, sadly. Also he's saying dust your base.

Took a look at my old MGs, and most are salvageable. My Zeta 2.0 need a complete disassembly, my FA Unicorn needs that and a long dip in iso alcohol, and my Force Impulse just needs some minor sanding. My Turn A isn't really fixable, but it's not that bad so eh. But my Nu vKa? Just completely hosed. It would honestly be cheaper to rebuy it then to parts order all the new stuff it'd need.

Also HGCC Turn A has the best boxart.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

What the gently caress man? All unicorn? Not even banshee or Phenex?

The Banshee Final Battle Ver is my second one (Unicorn Full Armor is my first), and the unbuilt one is the Phenex. I'm at least gonna end up getting the Banshee Norn and the hopefully inevitable variant frame of that.

Someday I want to get a regular Banshee to convert into the Ver Ka with the leftover bits from the Final Battle Ver and I should probably get a regular pink-frame Unicorn too. But that's so low on the priority list that it's irrelevant.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Tell me what I did wrong. I applied a gloss coat and the panel lines ran a bit. Did I do it too thick or should it not be lacquer?

Should I panel line After the clear coat? Also, how do I fix it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Missing Link posted:

Tell me what I did wrong. I applied a gloss coat and the panel lines ran a bit. Did I do it too thick or should it not be lacquer?

Should I panel line After the clear coat? Also, how do I fix it?

You applied too much gloss coat in one shot. It also looks like you had the shield hanging vertically when you should have had it flat so none of the panel lining could flow out of the grooves.

As for fixing it, your only real option is to sand off the gloss coat. Have fun.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

TaurusOxford posted:

You applied too much gloss coat in one shot. It also looks like you had the shield hanging vertically when you should have had it flat so none of the panel lining could flow out of the grooves.

As for fixing it, your only real option is to sand off the gloss coat. Have fun.

Thanks. I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. I'm glad I only did the shield and not the whole thing.

Also, gently caress sanding it. It will stand until I get another one, or something.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Missing Link posted:

Thanks. I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. I'm glad I only did the shield and not the whole thing.

Also, gently caress sanding it. It will stand until I get another one, or something.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner filled with simple green and some sand for taking off top coats. It's probably not an option for you, but sanding isnt the only solution.

You could also prime over it and repaint, losing some detail

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So when my tax returns over the past couple of years come in I'm totally getting This thing. I'm super excited about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AzMiLion posted:

So when my tax returns over the past couple of years come in I'm totally getting This thing. I'm super excited about it.

Post here before you buy in case prices shoot up and you don't want to pay the markup. I have an extra for sale

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Fauxtool posted:

Post here before you buy in case prices shoot up and you don't want to pay the markup. I have an extra for sale

Do you ship internationally? I'd rather deal with a goon than ebay.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AzMiLion posted:

Do you ship internationally? I'd rather deal with a goon than ebay.

I'm sure it won't be cheap but I can. I'm excited for this one http://www.gundammodelkits.com/kotobukiya-rf-12b-second-jiva-plastic-model.html
I hope the wheels turn

What service is recommended for shipping large, light boxes from the US?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Frame Arms are cool as hell, what's a good one that's representative of them in general?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Fauxtool posted:

I'm sure it won't be cheap but I can. I'm excited for this one http://www.gundammodelkits.com/kotobukiya-rf-12b-second-jiva-plastic-model.html
I hope the wheels turn

What service is recommended for shipping large, light boxes from the US?

Could we take this to e-mails? cash pile came in. my email is [REDACTED]

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 24, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Frame Arms are cool as hell, what's a good one that's representative of them in general?
I keep thinking of the one with the giant goofy looking duckbill horn thing on the top.

I've decided that I'm just gonna assemble the rest of the GP01 and pretend it's damaged, or I'll just have the core fighter displayed with its landing gear down and the rest of the components placed like they're being repaired or something. If I want to have a gunpla with an inner frame I'll just get an MG instead, RG just seems too fiddly for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:flashfap:

It looks so good, but I'm curious what the Now Planning bit is about. Maybe someone who can read Japanese could make it out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

EthanSteele posted:

They're all representative of each other pretty much, since they're all based around the same frames. Go with the Baselard I guess, it looks neat.

S-Alpha posted:

It looks so good, but I'm curious what the Now Planning bit is about. Maybe someone who can read Japanese could make it out.

They're still planning what the waterslides will look like.

The Missing Link posted:

This is why you should use Future! If you did, you could just dunk the thing in Windex and it'd just wipe right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

How do you get the Sazabi vKa to hold its guns? I can get the hands to hold them fine by themselves but I can't seem to do it when the hands are actually on the arms, it seems like there isn't room for the gun's stocks.

• Locked thread