Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KozmoNaut posted:

I've got a 260 kph speedo in a car that will barely hit 215 at the limiter in 5th. I don't think Peugeot has ever made a car that will do more than 230.

Am I reading that url right that the toyota corolla has a fansite? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It would be a blast to crash a Corolla fansite's local meets and ask people questions about their cars.

Then watch them kick out an AE86 or AE92 like jamal got kicked out of a Subaru meet.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VERTiG0 posted:

Most cars have stupid high speedometers

Isn't the reason something along the lines of people thinking a car is faster because the speedo goes higher? Even going as far as offering the higher trim cars with an even more ridiculous speedo to give the sense that they're better than their lower trim versions? God drat that line of reasoning is stupid.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bajaha posted:

Isn't the reason something along the lines of people thinking a car is faster because the speedo goes higher? Even going as far as offering the higher trim cars with an even more ridiculous speedo to give the sense that they're better than their lower trim versions? God drat that line of reasoning is stupid.

They probably wouldn't go through the extra effort unless it worked, though. The lesson here being that people are stupid.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Throatwarbler posted:

The first drive impressions of the new 200 are in.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/03/capsule-review-2015-chrysler-200/

:byodood:TACHOMETER :byodood:SPEEDOMETER

I saw a bunch of these in a group (like 5) going back and forth past my house last Saturday. I guess they were doing test drives or something? It was interesting. I just happened to be outside since it was one of the first nice weekends, so I was washing both cars for like 3 hours. They went by maybe 6-7 times.

(I live on a pretty open, windy, hilly road. It's awesome to drive in a nice car)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cream_Filling posted:

The lesson here being that people are stupid.

Undoubtedly true, I just wish more manufacturers followed Saab with their non-linear speedometer if they're doing the max displayed speed dick waving contest.

At least then you'd be able to read your 'normal' speeds easily and still be satisfied with a ridiculously high speedometer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the base model FR-S/86/BRZ definitely has the worst speedo I have ever seen.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Chrysler should grab the pentastar derivative in the Ghibli for a SRT 200. 400+ hp and AWD along with the typical performance upgrades would justify its existence I think. Pricing a potential SRT6 correctly will probably be the hardest part.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Tekne posted:

Chrysler should grab the pentastar derivative in the Ghibli for a SRT 200. 400+ hp and AWD along with the typical performance upgrades would justify its existence I think.

All this talk on the internet yesterday about a baby Viper being needed, I can't help but think a twin-turbo Pentastar would be a cool choice for an engine.

And I agree, an SRT 200 would be awesome with, say, 380hp or so?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Laserface posted:

the base model FR-S/86/BRZ definitely has the worst speedo I have ever seen.

Huh? You don't really use the Speedo anyways, you use the Tach and digital readout for speed. Of a lot of things to complain about, this is never one I've seen.

Tekne posted:

Chrysler should grab the pentastar derivative in the Ghibli for a SRT 200. 400+ hp and AWD along with the typical performance upgrades would justify its existence I think. Pricing a potential SRT6 correctly will probably be the hardest part.

Wouldn't this step on the 300's toes? I think that's where they are putting all of their power. And what about the Dart? I don't know enough about what car is built on what platform.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VERTiG0 posted:

All this talk on the internet yesterday about a baby Viper being needed, I can't help but think a twin-turbo Pentastar would be a cool choice for an engine.

And I agree, an SRT 200 would be awesome with, say, 380hp or so?

I doubt they have an awd system that could handle that much power. The top trim 200 is already close to 30k too. It would make more sense to just make a 300c srt 6

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bajaha posted:

Undoubtedly true, I just wish more manufacturers followed Saab with their non-linear speedometer

and the night panel. and the key in the center console. and the cockpit-like ergonomics.

:sigh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bajaha posted:

AE86 Corolla GT-S's had 140 mph speedos, while the less powerful SR-5s had 85 mph speedos, so that is indeed a thing.

Also, my current car's speedo goes to 155 mph, which coincidentally, is the top speed of my car. :smug:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

subx posted:

Huh? You don't really use the Speedo anyways, you use the Tach and digital readout for speed. Of a lot of things to complain about, this is never one I've seen.

The Australian base model of the Toyota doesn't have it. The fr-s does have it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My 96 4cyl Camry has a 140mph speedometer and my son thinks it's awesome that we can go that fast :v:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Laserface posted:

Japanese domestic cars all stop at 180km/h

by 180 in 5th the engine is about 2k shy of redline, I can only imagine a R34 GTR would be at 180 at the bottom of 6th or something.

My automatic r34 GT-T changes out of third at 175kph just before you hit the speed limiter.

I'll also I think the base 86's speedo is beyond stupid. Look at how much wasted space it takes up when your only going to be using the bottom bit of it.

attachment seems to have failed. Here is the picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
At least you still get the analogue option - even that 45° portion is still way more legible that the cruddy digital only display on the Megane I had as a lease car in Europe

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

leica posted:

My 96 4cyl Camry has a 140mph speedometer and my son thinks it's awesome that we can go that fast :v:

I took my '89 Camry up to over 120MPH indicated, and while that was the V6, the power between the 2.5 V6 and the 2.4 I4 isn't very different. And that car was at least ten years old at the time. The '96 Camry V6 will easily get to speeds like that (or wherever the governor kicks in at) if you have enough straight pavement.

Now why you'd ever do that in a Camry beyond 'let's see what this appliance can do', I have no idea.

Really, though, it's 2014, every car should have a digital speedo function available in the multi-function display, or preferably on the HUD.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, well my Suburban has an 85mph speedo and it goes faster than that. :colbert: I don't know how much faster, either, because there wasn't any angry police officer there telling me how fast I was going.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Now why you'd ever do that in a Camry beyond 'let's see what this appliance can do', I have no idea.

I'd be tempted to try on one of long bridges here, but I don't think the lovely Chinese tires would hold up, I don't want to die in a Camry haha.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I took my 97 ES00 north of 140 when I had it (on Toyos, I don't remember which kind). It was mostly Camry and didn't handle it as well as some cars would have, but pulled it off and I didn't die. For being an appliance it was pretty fun to drive. I miss it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

VERTiG0 posted:

Most cars have stupid high speedometers, why is this surprising to you that it's in a Chrysler? And how high would you have your steering column adjusted such that the bottom of the speedometer wouldn't be visible? Sounds like driving a bus.

2009 Corolla:

To be fair, the top half of the tach on that Corolla will never be used either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Given that the Corolla is probably either a fleet car or a renta with quite a free revving engine I'd say there is a fairly good chance it will actually spend a lot of its life there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It would be a blast to crash a Corolla fansite's local meets and ask people questions about their cars.

Then watch them kick out an AE86 or AE92 like jamal got kicked out of a Subaru meet.

What's the story behind this?

All cars should just have digital tachs like the S2000 :colbert:

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Nodoze, I was just about to say that my car tells you how fast you are going. How fast you can go, on the other hand, is limited by gearing and/or aerodynamics.

Edit: and by that I mean I also have an S2000

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

atomicthumbs posted:

and the night panel. and the key in the center console. and the cockpit-like ergonomics.

:sigh:

I always use the night panel, but my wife primarily drives the SAAB and I'm stuck with an 02 Civic.

I test drove a 2014 Kia Optima Turbo thing, and I really like it, even the center gauge readout was pretty nice.
How does everyone feel about the Optima Turbo? Its really cozy and I just want something decent for my new commute. I have a 450whp RX7, so I'm not really looking for something super sporty, just something to relax in.

The only thing I don't like is it has numb steering, really numb, and the electronic throttle is off putting vs the one in my SAAB, when I let off the throttle it still has some forward momentum instead of instant engine braking like a normal car, which kind of makes you clench your butt if you are letting off the throttle while doing a WOT run.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 23, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Nodoze, I was just about to say that my car tells you how fast you are going. How fast you can go, on the other hand, is limited by gearing and/or aerodynamics.

Edit: and by that I mean I also have an S2000

Me too! Where have all the other S2K AI'ers been hiding :shobon:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I always use the night panel, but my wife primarily drives the SAAB and I'm stuck with an 02 Civic.

I test drove a 2014 Kia Optima Turbo thing, and I really like it, even the center gauge readout was pretty nice.
How does everyone feel about the Optima Turbo? Its really cozy and I just want something decent for my new commute. I have a 450whp RX7, so I'm not really looking for something super sporty, just something to relax in.

The only thing I don't like is it has numb steering, really numb, and the electronic throttle is off putting vs the one in my SAAB, when I let off the throttle it still has some forward momentum instead of instant engine braking like a normal car, which kind of makes you clench your butt if you are letting off the throttle while doing a WOT run.

I drove a Kia something or other as a rental a year ago, and their version of drive by wire is... Different. It's more like an acceleration pedal than a throttle. It will seemingly maintain the same acceleration until you left off. It's really strange.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I drove a Kia something or other as a rental a year ago, and their version of drive by wire is... Different. It's more like an acceleration pedal than a throttle. It will seemingly maintain the same acceleration until you left off. It's really strange.

Did you leave 'eco' mode turned on? I had a rental kia a while back and it felt like a horrible cvt until I switched that off and it started driving like a regular automatic.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked Kias since they decided not to be garbage but their seats are still too firm in every single one I've been in.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Nodoze posted:

Me too! Where have all the other S2K AI'ers been hiding :shobon:

We have to keep a low profile so the Miata Megaman Club doesn't get jealous.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I like the Optima (I have a 2011 Forte myself - got won over by the 5-year warranty). You should check out the Mazda 6 also - it's lighter and you'll get much better mileage since you can fulfill your sporting aspirations in your RX7

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't think Peugeot has ever made a car that will do more than 230.

I was once given a ride in what seems like one of the rarest Peugeots ever, without knowing it at the time (I was thinking of buying, the price was a bit much for me). Peugeot 405 T16. Looks just like a Mi16 4x4, except it goes like stink! Around 400 made, 0-100 in slightly below 6 sec, top speed unknown since the speedo for some reason only goes to 220 kmh on the T16 vs 230 on the Mi16, but hitting the rev limiter in fifth (which we did) would be about 265 kmh.

Why didn't I buy that car? :smith:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I've actually made a decision to not get a Mazda because of the new CEO. I know it's dumb but there it is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I was once given a ride in what seems like one of the rarest Peugeots ever, without knowing it at the time (I was thinking of buying, the price was a bit much for me). Peugeot 405 T16. Looks just like a Mi16 4x4, except it goes like stink! Around 400 made, 0-100 in slightly below 6 sec, top speed unknown since the speedo for some reason only goes to 220 kmh on the T16 vs 230 on the Mi16, but hitting the rev limiter in fifth (which we did) would be about 265 kmh.

Why didn't I buy that car? :smith:

That's my all-time dream car :swoon:

Why didn't you buy it, you rear end?

It only had 220hp, but who cares?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've actually made a decision to not get a Mazda because of the new CEO. I know it's dumb but there it is.

Googling isn't bringing up anything special on him. Is it because he spoke out against a rotary?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Its a nice car with a bit of power and a lot of tech features for the price. It wont do anything for you from an enthusiast perspective but neither will anything in the midsized FWD sedan segment.

I have a 2014 SX turbo and its a good daily driver/commuting car

subx
Jan 12, 2003

So is the Chrysler 200 2015 out yet? I keep seeing them doing their test drive stuff in front of my house. They have been driving by for about the past 3 weeks (at least on the weekends, I'm not home during the week).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Snowdens Secret posted:

Googling isn't bringing up anything special on him. Is it because he spoke out against a rotary?

He axed the new RX7. A car that I would have waited, saved for, and bought as it was supposed to be some turbo goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mazda has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and is only just recently finding profitably and market share again by building affordable, reliable, fun-to-drive "regular" cars. Pissing away that tenuous recovery on a niche, low production, high development cost sports car to sell to about 17 enthusiasts is just about the worst business decision ever.

I'm all for bringing back the RX cars, but only when doing so won't destroy the company.