Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I'd love it if Terminus did turn out to be cannibals, but it wasn't really a conflict and they resolved it really, really easily.

"We eat people here."
-"That's hosed up. There's lots of other non-people things you could eat. We could help with that."
"You make some good points. Let's try it your way!"

And then they just spend all their days making salads.

Its gonna be like the farm season all over again.

"I'm not going to eat people. That isn't the way we do things!"
"Just think about it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Terminus controls an anthropomorphized oil puddle that will kill all underdeveloped characters and absorbs Rick until the middle of next season. It's the reason all zombies ignore Terminus- you can't eat oil.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VDay posted:

I wouldn't mind it being a safe place, but would be really annoyed if the 'Do we go to DC?' decision is actually played like a tough choice for anybody. It is pants on head stupid that anybody would actually believe this guy and would actually change their life/plans to go protect him, and I hope the show isn't just going to use that as a major plot point without bothering to give us an actual plausible reason for why anyone is buying his bullshit.

What life plans? It's the zombie apocalypse. No one has career ambitions. No one is building a home and raising children. There's a handful of people like Glenn and Maggie who have found someone they want to be with but it sort of ends there. Maggie probably isn't looking forward to,having a kid and starting a family while she camps out in Zombie Tunnel. So when someone says "hey, I got something to I need to,get done" then maybe you just go along with it because "why the gently caress not?"

I wouldn't expect everyone to feel that way. Some people would be more concerned about the credibility of Eugene's story. And some people rather hunker down and try to be safe than go on a journey. Some people don't like to follow others. But hell, I have to admit that if I was there I might go just out of curiosity on how DC looks and how this all plays out. Sure, its 99% likely its bullshit, but I want to be a part of it if its not instead of dying in some random, meaningless way.

To be honest I think you're just really obsessing hard on this. For me it comes down to the idea that we have no idea what each person really thinks about this. No one had had a conversation about Eugene besides that brief one between Abraham and Tara and the heavy implication of that is that both Abraham and Tara are "soldiers" who are sticking to the "mission". Even if the mission seems hopeless or the guy they're following seems a little unstable (whether that's Eugene or Glenn). If the cause is good enough then its worth it, especially if you have nothing else to live for.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm betting it's cannibals. There's a well known disease called "kuru" found only in cultures that practice cannibalism in their society. It presents with the shakes, most often in the hands. Several scenes in the preview for the next episode showed shaking hands. Couple that with the large-ish steaks on the grill shown in the most recent episode, and I would bet money that it's cannibalism.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I'm betting it's cannibals. There's a well known disease called "kuru" found only in cultures that practice cannibalism in their society. It presents with the shakes, most often in the hands. Several scenes in the preview for the next episode showed shaking hands. Couple that with the large-ish steaks on the grill shown in the most recent episode, and I would bet money that it's cannibalism.

Off topic sort of, but isn't that how they figure out the old people are cannibals in The Book of Eli?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just watched this recent movie about a cannibal family where Kuru is featured prominently too. Though if Terminus is cannibals, I'm not expecting it to come up, Mary seemed normal.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Spiteski posted:

Off topic sort of, but isn't that how they figure out the old people are cannibals in The Book of Eli?

Yup.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

STAC Goat posted:

So when someone says "hey, I got something to I need to,get done" then maybe you just go along with it because "why the gently caress not?"

Sorry but if your best explanation for why a character who has previously been shown to be logical and concerned with her own survival does something that's really out-of-character and dangerous/reckless is 'Why the gently caress not?', then that's pretty lovely writing. Also, the really obvious answer to 'Why the gently caress not?' is 'Because it's super loving dangerous, makes you suddenly trust in people who you just met, might end up being completely bullshit, and is completely against your previously established plan of just wanting to get to Terminus and settle down.' I'm not obsessing hard on this, I just think it's really, really stupid and is asking a whole lot from the audience without actually earning any of it. Like I said I'm reserving judgement on the whole thing until after they've cleared it up, but it seems like I'm not the only one who has a problem with how the show has been handling Eugene so far.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 24, 2014

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

canuckanese posted:

I think Terminus is going to be a relatively safe place with a lot of survivors. Like, even more survivors than Woodbury. I think it's going to be very well ordered, like people have said, and that different cliques are going to be at odds with each other over various stuff, who does what job, etc. I even think Darryl and his rough new friends are going to join the community too. There's gonna be minor squabbles and infighting but I think the major confrontation is going to be Terminus getting attacked by that swarm of what appeared to be literally thousands of zombies. The one that Darryl and friends encountered when they were looking for medicine. We've seen survivors deal with large groups of several dozen or more, but not wave after wave of the undead. Even Herschel's farm couldn't have been more than 200-300. It'd be interesting to see if the survivors, no matter how well prepared, organized, and resourceful, would be able to stop a literal sea of walkers.

Well I hope they at least lock the gates if they see the horde coming

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But this whole life is dangerous. They're fighting off monsters every day and even if they manage that and avoid any massive herds of hundreds of them or ones that come out of the fog to attack they still have to worry about dying of the flu or being murdered by a psychopath. What's putting your life in danger for something that might be worth it vs putting it in danger doing absolutely nothing?

Plus, I don't think anyone has said they want to go to Terminus to settle down. Maggie and Glenn were looking for each other. Sasha is looking for Tyrese. Bob is looking for anyone. Tara is trying to save her soul. It doesn't strike me as odd at all that Tara, Sasha, and Bob would be intrigued by this DC thing. For Tara it gives her another mission and something to try and make up for the guilt she's carrying. For Sasha and Bob it's just a direction and a goal. Maybe that changes for Sasha if she finds Tyrese and he doesn't want to go, but Terminus has been less of a long term goal for this group than its been a short term destination where they were most likely to find each other. Note that the only group who never headed towards Terminus (Darryl and Beth) were also the only group who appeared to have no hope for finding prison survivors.

I don't know, I just don't get why it seems that hard to buy that a few of our previously established characters might be intrigued by this whole cure/DC thing. But I fully admit that if the entire crew including Rick, Michonne,and Darryl end up going off on this journey and leaving a happy Terminus without even questioning Eugene... Then I'll maybe get annoyed. But right now I'm taking one thing away from Eugene. If you give hopeless and desperate people even a shred of hope and a flimsy excuse to believe than some of them jump at it, no questions asked. This theme has also been shown by everyone walking blindly into the creepy place that advertise everywhere and leaves its front door wide open. Or the way everyone from Rick to Tyreese to Darryl let their guard down the second they got a little comfortable and felt like the worst might be over. These people are begging for something to believe in, whether that's Terminus, Woodbury, the prison, a random house they stumbled across, or Eugene.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The fact that they're clearly gearing up Daryl's group to be the big threat to Terminus suggests it's not going to be that impressive an operation. Then again, Rick and the gang managed to be a threat to Woodsbury and they were the same size, so I don't know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, it's dumb as hell but if this was a show that actually was just about a bunch of bikers being assholes to each other in the apocalypse it'd probably be way more interesting. Imagine what happens when they meet rival rear end in a top hat gangs!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Maybe they're wizards :smugwizard:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Well, from the preview you can see someone gets zombie swarmed, there is some room lit with a million candles with Rick, Carl and Michonne, and a bunch of zombies on the tracks getting chopped by michonne with carl running in the woods. Rick covered in blood shaking up. Either bitten or he just lost someone is my guess. I'm thinking this season won't end on a happy note.

I really dislike the idea that terminus is just that cannibal place from the videogame, although I gotta say that is exactly what it seems like with the seemingly nice lady whos asks no questions, welcoming everyone in, and starts cooking dinner for everyone, living in this a zombie free fortress where the only concern is probably getting food.

If that happens, they'll prob take Tara somewhere to treat his leg, but in reality serve it as dinner later. Something else from the game, the million walkers horde could be following a train to terminus, although I gotta say I never understood how they were able to track anything with such accuracy. Is it supposed to work like, they hear a sound and they keep on going to that direction until something else comes up? But even then, that doesn't really work because you only hear the sound for so long and the train tracks probably have a curve or two along the way.

Also, about scavenging. It's been what, couple of years since the apocalypse? Wouldn't the vast majority of food be rotten by now? I know some canned foods go on for years without going bad, but don't they also need to be storaged in a cool temperature and wouldn't everyone resorting to scavenging kinda gently caress up the supply even more? It's probably a detail that no one should cling on to, but its annoying to me at least how almost everyone kept on going for years by just scavenging a can of beans every day.

Basically I just want to complain about everything.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, it's dumb as hell but if this was a show that actually was just about a bunch of bikers being assholes to each other in the apocalypse it'd probably be way more interesting. Imagine what happens when they meet rival rear end in a top hat gangs!

Two rival factions would fight to the death and then ....? Wouldn't it really be the same story with a bunch of characters who would be even harder to characterize because they'd be so similar. I can't imagine that story having more depth that what we've got. Also, I can't imagine a Sons of Anarchy/Walking Dead mashup being anything less than terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

antisocial posted:

Two rival factions would fight to the death and then ....? Wouldn't it really be the same story with a bunch of characters who would be even harder to characterize because they'd be so similar. I can't imagine that story having more depth that what we've got. Also, I can't imagine a Sons of Anarchy/Walking Dead mashup being anything less than terrible.

I'm thinking they won't kill each other, just find more creative ways to be shitheads about things.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mantis42 posted:

Its gonna be like the farm season all over again.

"I'm not going to eat people. That isn't the way we do things!"
"Just think about it."

Rick's gonna be like, "We're guests here. It's their house, we have to respect their rules." while he chows on a Beth burger.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Gortarius posted:

Also, about scavenging. It's been what, couple of years since the apocalypse? Wouldn't the vast majority of food be rotten by now? I know some canned foods go on for years without going bad, but don't they also need to be storaged in a cool temperature and wouldn't everyone resorting to scavenging kinda gently caress up the supply even more? It's probably a detail that no one should cling on to, but its annoying to me at least how almost everyone kept on going for years by just scavenging a can of beans every day.

No, most canned foods last a really long time. The expiration dates on modern canned products are generally more about taste than food safety. Same with lots of dry products (pasta, cereal, beans, etc.). If it doesn't smell really gross/taste immediately gross or have bugs/mold in it, it's probably ok to eat. Even in the Georgia heat and humidity, most food will be stored cupboards and basements, which are cool, dark, and dry enough to make it last a while. You might be risking botulism at a slightly higher rate than usual, but starvation is a significantly worse risk.

The show addressed issues with scavenging plenty of times. E.g., in the start of Season 3, the group was having a really hard time finding food, which is why they fought so hard/spent a shitload of ammo to get into the prison. But there is literally tons of food in America at any given time (to the point where it's ridiculous that anyone goes hungry--we have plenty of calories on hand to feed everyone comfortably, we just throw a lot of it away), so once the original apocalyptic hubbub died down, you'd have a pretty good chance of continually being able to scavenge some stuff, especially if you're in a relatively well-armed and experienced group like Rick's. I assume many survivors either skip a lot of scavenging attempts because they're too afraid of the walkers, or they die trying (like the young couple Rick and Carol ran into). As for the start of Season 3, I guess Rick's group was just having a run of bad luck/the writers needed motivation for them to try the prison.

The fact that two-year-old gasoline still works so well is a lot more unbelievable.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 24, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because Hyundais are so great

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I hope Terminus is just that one old lady.

I hope Daryl's buddies try to claim Rick for their own which leads to the mayhem we saw and, please god, the bittersweet ending of Rick being reunited with the babybore then Carl being offed.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 24, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Why is cannibalism being discussed?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

Because lots of people think that Terminus might be cannibals?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

WastedJoker posted:

I hope Terminus is just that one old lady.

It turns out she's cooking up all that food for her pet cats, of which she has 89.

And cannibalism is a very common post-apocalyptic horror trope we haven't seen yet in the show. Also, post-apocalyptic people tend to be cagey, xenophobic, and insular--they don't usually leave maps to their houses and broadcast how they're sharing supplies and whatnot unless they're up to something sinister. Like eating people.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 25, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WastedJoker posted:

Terminus creeped people out.
Cannibalism seems to fit with the world post apocalyptic fiction.
Some people are being influenced by the comic or book where cannibalism has been used (but not with Terminus, as Terminus is 100% tv show).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Also our introduction to Terminus is a lady cooking slabs of meat on a big barbecue and "we'll make you a plate". It just seems like the writers are winking really hard at us.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it did seem like Terminus was really folksy and it was strange how the place was ridiculously easy to walk into - like a trap should be.

I'm guessing cultists more than cannibalisms though. There's no grounds for conflict within the main group over cannibalism - all would be set against it. The writers seem to like divergence within the core group when it comes to the final scenes.

My guess is that the secret of Terminus is weird but tolerable...maybe some hosed up version of zombie communism.

Zombunism.

Then Daryl and his capitalist claim-claim-claim buddies show up, throw a spanner in the works by trying to kill Rick and the brief peace is shattered by zombies eating the poo poo out of people.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

HonorableTB posted:

That would be really weird cause kuru (like BSE and CJE) takes a really long time to set in, occasionally a whole generation. And the mutated prions are only contained within the brains so its easily avoidable.

Wait a minute.... eating the brains... new theory. Everyone in terminus is the living dead. Like that movie where zombies are cured by love.

Also I must have missed that preview or not been paying attention. Wasn't the preview just bunch of tense scenes of the Carl-Michone-Rick group, some zombies, and ominous chanting of the word "TERMINOUS"? I actually thought it was a really cool preview because it showed literally nothing about the next episode but created a forbidding atmosphere.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, unless there's another preview, I don't recall seeing any new characters, with or without shaking hands. Just a lot vague Rick/Carl/Michonne scenes.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My prediction for the finale is they eat some medium rare Beth steaks and someone else from the cast dies. I'm thinking either Maggie, Glenn or Daryl. I have been a little disappointed in Glenn's overall arc this season. I still think Maggie is a bad rear end and would like her to stick around. But I'm also thinking that maybe Daryl sacrifices himself somehow so Rick, Carl and Michonne can get away from the Claimers. Sasha seems pretty expendable as well though so who really knows at this point!

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I did not at all get what was happening in the preview either. Obviously Terminus is gonna be a hellhole, there were no god drat people around and I guess the preview is just trying to hint at the dark side. As soon as the flowerpots and little farms got shown onscreen I figured they would be on fire/destroyed/covered in blood by the end of the next episode.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lycus posted:

Also our introduction to Terminus is a lady cooking slabs of meat on a big barbecue and "we'll make you a plate". It just seems like the writers are winking really hard at us.

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Its been mentioned that they did a cannibal story in the Telltale's Walking Dead game, but I thought that was the the weakest parts of that game overall (the actual "episode" was alright) but it just came off as really silly where they were drugging people to amputate portions of them while they were still alive before eating them, and that just being all kinds of silly and what the gently caress but not in the good "what the gently caress" way, just a confusing one.

Cannibals are a classic stable of post apocalyptic fiction, but I think writers should really just set that one aside when they're telling zombie apocolpyse stories. Just make things easier on everyone.

Lycus posted:

An alternative to the "TO SERVE MAN" interpertation of that line.... maybe they make human-ceramic dishes like a serial killer from the tv show hannibal.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

An alternative to the "TO SERVE MAN" interpertation of that line.... maybe they make human-ceramic dishes like a serial killer from the tv show hannibal.
In a world like this, you don't want to waste any part of the human.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Its been mentioned that they did a cannibal story in the Telltale's Walking Dead game, but I thought that was the the weakest parts of that game overall (the actual "episode" was alright) but it just came off as really silly where they were drugging people to amputate portions of them while they were still alive before eating them, and that just being all kinds of silly and what the gently caress but not in the good "what the gently caress" way, just a confusing one.

I thought the Japanese did this to American POWs during WWII because they had no way of preserving/storing meat, I think it was mentioned in the book Flyboys. I might be remembering wrong, there was all kinds of hosed up poo poo in that book though.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the comic a bunch of cannibals ate one of Dale's legs. Kirkman loves writing people getting amputated.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Ars Arcanum posted:

The fact that two-year-old gasoline still works so well is a lot more unbelievable.

Those are 2013/2014 hundais, so the gas in them isn't that old yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

xxEightxx posted:

Those are 2013/2014 hundais, so the gas in them isn't that old yet.

I want an in universe explanation. Somewhere there's a community of saints, still producing hundais, and leaving them in the wasteland for scavangers to use.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I want an in universe explanation. Somewhere there's a community of saints, still producing hundais, and leaving them in the wasteland for scavangers to use.
They're hoping that people will eventually drive those Hyundais to their Hyundai plant so that they can eat them.

Alkabob
May 31, 2011
I would like to speak to the manager about the socialists, please
I just realized what Terminus actually is: It's a colony of Warhammer 40k playing goons being taken care by one very put upon mother. Upon seeing this and realizing they are only using Codexes written by Matt Ward, everyone happily reenters the zombie wasteland rather than stay.:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My prediction for the finale is they eat some medium rare Beth steaks and someone else from the cast dies. I'm thinking either Maggie, Glenn or Daryl. I have been a little disappointed in Glenn's overall arc this season. I still think Maggie is a bad rear end and would like her to stick around. But I'm also thinking that maybe Daryl sacrifices himself somehow so Rick, Carl and Michonne can get away from the Claimers. Sasha seems pretty expendable as well though so who really knows at this point!

I have a feeling Maggie may be the one to go the whole "Yea Glenn may aswell burn the last picture you have of me :byodame: WE WILL ALWAYS BE TOGETHER!" line made me laugh.

I have been thinking Daryl would be the one to go most of this season but I'm betting alot of people would be hosed off if he died.

I'm wondering if the writers decided Lara Croft was a bit much because she was wearing alot of clothing this episode

• Locked thread