Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It'd be a solid colour, the same one as your beret. I'm pretty sure they wear the patka in the field for helmet/gas mask reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah it was solid. They changed it few years ago so you actually have to be an MP/SAR tech/Sikh/etc to buy the associated gear.

I just had a shitload of points and felt like having a novel experience.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I really think the point system need to be rethink. I use to order every pair of socks that I was allowed every years and just give some away to people I know. Same with the leather gloves, since my unit is too cheap too buy me decent working gloves, I use my old DEU gloves to do maintenance on trucks.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Concur. Points are useless most of the time, and the one time I actually needed them I didn't have enough (lost a buttload of weight and needed everything two sizes smaller) :(

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Poser I bet you've never even killed a man with a PRC-117 before.

Nah, easier to use an amp and an antenna field and let the radiating elements do it for me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The last plane from Afghanistan lands in Ottawa on Tuesday. It's the end of an era.

e: and it was a Reservist / DND Computer guy that stabbed the Russian Diplomat, then ran around naked.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/kevin-martin-appears-in-court-for-stabbing-of-russian-diplomat-in-ottawa-1.2574060

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 16, 2014

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
If you didn't want to be aircrew before:

Still not looking great on an apparently not fat dude. Maybe size down.

These are the best looking flying jackets, but, loving Nazis:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was gonna post something snarky like 'how many obese pilots and FEs do we have that there's a need for XXXL jackets' but then I remembered :canada:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Same. My OT is taking forever.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of releasing vs a transfer?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

One major benefit is that you're not in the military anymore. But there are only so many in-house tranfers, the rest are new hires. But in the drawdown state right now theres not much money floating around for new hires.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

No guarantee you'll get back in, possible loss of rank and/or seniority, pension dickery off the top of my head. With budgets what they are I wouldn't expect things to move quickly either way.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

No guarantee you'll get back in, possible loss of rank and/or seniority, pension dickery off the top of my head. With budgets what they are I wouldn't expect things to move quickly either way.

The two most important words you'll read on the internet today. Broken service is a pain in the dick. Do not break your service if you can at all help it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

The two most important words you'll read on the internet today. Broken service is a pain in the dick. Do not break your service if you can at all help it.

Theres not too much dickery. You gotta buy back in and the person doing my release said if you option not to take any of the money and leave it your rrsps theres no loving around at all, should you chose to get back in.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ahh, that could be the critical mistake that the four or five people I know who broke their service made. So don't do that, I guess :)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ditto, all part of the "FPR'd, got back in, passed go and collected $200" crowd.

Mystery solved :downs:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Frosted Flake posted:

This is based off my experience with a CT into a trade that was VOT only in the Regforce, so it may be different situation to situation but the reason it was so difficult for me is I know that OTs will always be pushed to the top because basically, budget wise, their wages have already been accounted for the entirety of their contract. If you're joining off the street, those slots are the ones left over from VOT, and it means new money taken off the budget. So, basically, they would rather just transfer guys into the trade they want rather than have to pay for a "new" position.

Again, I am pulling this completely out of my biased experience, so its more than likely coming out of my rear end. I don't know the actual VOT/CT process or how they generate those slots, but it seems to make sense to me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Theres a finite amount of spots for transfers. A majority of them are reserved for new hires, this is from my bpso when I was looking for a switch.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Theres a finite amount of spots for transfers. A majority of them are reserved for new hires, this is from my bpso when I was looking for a switch.

This is my understanding as well. They also take in to account the health of your current trade - if you're trying to VOT out of a red trade I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ub posted:

This is my understanding as well. They also take in to account the health of your current trade - if you're trying to VOT out of a red trade I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Ya that was my problem. Artillery was a red trade and the bpso said I could submit a package but there'd be no chance in hell of getting it

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Ya that was my problem. Artillery was a red trade and the bpso said I could submit a package but there'd be no chance in hell of getting it

That's because arty is a big trade and (probably) popular to escape from. Red doesn't mean closed out, just very limited out - which is why you were allowed to submit, but you just have to be desirable enough to be included in the outcap. PSO was being a dick, incidentally, it's not his or her job to select anyone. Submit away, who knows what the board might think...

To play devil's advocate for the PSO, I'm sure 95% of their day is dealing with the functionally retarded who want to OT into an "easy" job. So they become jaded.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

compressioncut posted:

That's because arty is a big trade and (probably) popular to escape from.

Truth.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

From my experience they seem to post people who VOT to those places that no one wanna go mainly because you owe them time once you VOT and they know you can't use the "I will release" card if you don't like your posting.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Anyone else here posted to Alberta? Let's talk about hemorrhaging troops to oil field where any Johnny Fucknuts the unskilled labourer can make 100 grand a year and blow it all on strippers and coke.

Seriously though I'm a qualified heavy equipment operator why am I still in the army. :downs:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

Anyone else here posted to Alberta? Let's talk about hemorrhaging troops to oil field where any Johnny Fucknuts the unskilled labourer can make 100 grand a year and blow it all on strippers and coke.

Seriously though I'm a qualified heavy equipment operator why am I still in the army. :downs:

Heavy equipment operator jobs are hard to come by apparently. The market is flooded, as they say.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Samu posted:

...why am I still in the army. :downs:

That point still stands though.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Maybe that's true, but I just happen to live with a foreman for a heavy equipment company and I run a dump for them nights and weekends around Edmonton. He tells me that Suncor honors military quals and has preferential hiring for ex-army dudes. If you're willing to work there's lots of work out here. A retired warrant from my unit posted on our facebook page trying to poach operators for gently caress sakes.

Plus the army got me my class 1 license so I don't think I'd have any issue getting work, I just happen to still like my job and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've got from it. 99% of combat engineers are hosed once they get out though, I mean we have a guy in my squadron who works part time as a line cook at Hooters because he's not qualified to do anything else. Combat Arms trades are a good time, but if you're not a lifer you're probably coming out of it with no prospects outside of unskilled labour.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If they had preferential hiring I would've had a job out West long ago.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do the companies out west honour military surveying experience? Like Arty Recce Techs, or whatever Combat Engineers do survey stuff?
Because holy gently caress $150k to do more simple surveys than I already do at work sounds good to me.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I have a friend who just got out within the last month and that's the route he's taking. The way it works for the most part is you tell the company about your surveying experience and they hire you on as a semi-skilled labourer to see what you can do. If you're competent, professional and a good worker with a good head on your soldiers like most guys I know they either pay for you to challenge the certification or pay to put you on a short refresher type course. You start off paid as a labourer but you can be a certified surveyor within the year running a survey crew.

I don't know what kind of surveying you do in Arty, but i imagine it's not that far off and likely more advanced than what we do. You first learn surveying on your 5's as part of doing bridge Recces and I did a fair amount on my heavy equipment course as part of road construction.

The companies out here love army guys, they really do. They look at ex-military as people who are going to be reliable and less likely to get caught up in the rig pig lifestyle. Even if the demand for trades dried up there's still a lot of money to be made starting out as a leasehand and working your way up that way. Lots of ways to make money out here, you just need to be proactive about it.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
a friend of mine from my time in a recce platoon ended up doing exactly that when he got out. Now he works for a precious minerals company in the Yukon. They'll drop him and few others guys by helicopter in the wilderness with 10 days worth of supplies. they'll survey the land and take soil samples, prep an LZ for pickup and return to base camp. He's making a fortune doing pretty much what he used to do in battalion.

the job listing specified "must know how to use a rifle and be calm in the face of large wildlife, namely bears".

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Anyone hear anything about the civvy dress military service pins that are apparently coming down the pipe province-by-province?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

There's a guy who came down to 1Sv last fall looking for all sort of people qualified to work in a mine somewhere between Edmonton and Red Deer. Pay is something like 33$Hr for scrapper all the way to 37$ for grader operators. 4 on 4 off 12 hours shift. Benefits, vacations and pension plan.

I can give you his email if you like.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anyone hear anything about the civvy dress military service pins that are apparently coming down the pipe province-by-province?

Haven't heard of anyplace other than Saskatchewan doing that. Not sure I'd wear it either way.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Frog 1.0 posted:

There's a guy who came down to 1Sv last fall looking for all sort of people qualified to work in a mine somewhere between Edmonton and Red Deer. Pay is something like 33$Hr for scrapper all the way to 37$ for grader operators. 4 on 4 off 12 hours shift. Benefits, vacations and pension plan.

I can give you his email if you like.

I think as it stands now there's 6 ex-members of my troop who work there. It's a pretty good go seeing as how there's that many ex-engineers there. Good money for being close to Edmonton.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Every now and then some jobs do come up, rarely though. I remember in BC, a company that does slope stabilization was looking for guys to be trained on steep slop stabilization, so I know lots of guys (obviously mostly Reservists) with BMO applied to be slope stabilizers or get trained in rope rescue/first aid.

But again, most combat arms means very little jobs related unless you work like half the reserve infantry guys do in BC as bouncers at night clubs.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

compressioncut posted:

If you didn't want to be aircrew before:

Holy poo poo its the Fonz!

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So is there any optimism about the new fiscal year, or are we looking at another decade of darkness?