Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I ask the so-called Inclusionists: What is Empire? Why have proud Roman sons gone and fought and died, if not uplift and transform the conquered? You dishonor them, and every person you claim to protect! Tolerance is not inclusion: that implies a melding of cultures, one that would result in a single Roman nation. "Tolerance" is the path of a simpering nanny: only to appease children, not raise them up in the way they should go. We cannot maintain the barriers that existed before conquest! Those you "tolerate" will resent our rule, despise our cowardice, and then you will let them drive us out!

You are cowards, traitors, and fools! You are not brave enough to challenge the heathens and monsters of the world. You are not loyal enough, to the Empire or God, to rightfully convert the masses. And, you are foolish enough to believe you can do this with a minimum of debate! What are you? Your decadence is without question, but you are too embarrassed to call yourselves Komnenians, yes? Whatever you are, you are unworthy of this Senate and Empire! Go, found a philosophers' colony in the Aegean: only there will your idiotic fantasies ever come close to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Luhood posted:

New Byzantines / Phanariotes

Arshak I Qutuzid

I applaud the Basilleus, the Senate, and the Byzantine Empire itself for holding so dear the values of my departed father - Tolerance, Enlightenment, and Protection - and for restoring my belief in our Empire, its legislative Senate, and its glorious Basilleus. Thank you.

:golfclap:

##Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
##Sponsor the Varangian Reward Act

TheMcD posted:

If so, the Inclusionists AKA hippies? are the party for you! We simply ask two questions: "Can't we all just be friends?" and "Don't we have enough already?"

Well, I don't know, that sounds like some wishy-washy hippie bullshit a drunken philosopher would say. Or my dad.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You are cowards, traitors, and fools! You are not brave enough to challenge the heathens and monsters of the world. You are not loyal enough, to the Empire or God, to rightfully convert the masses. And, you are foolish enough to believe you can do this with a minimum of debate! What are you? Your decadence is without question, but you are too embarrassed to call yourselves Komnenians, yes? Whatever you are, you are unworthy of this Senate and Empire! Go, found a philosophers' colony in the Aegean: only there will your idiotic fantasies ever come close to reality.

:argh:

When you fill out the paperwork, Senator MacDonald, please put Senator Iouliana Ratoslov at the top of the list.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

TheMcD posted:

6) Any sort of aggressive intrigue is to be cancelled immediately, and a terrible institution such as this hypothetical Black Chamber should not even come close to existing. Defensive intrigue to support the stability of the realm is permitted.

Dear Senator, perhaps you'd like to support the Paint it White bill, which supports this aim.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rejected Fate posted:

Dear Senator, perhaps you'd like to support the Paint it White bill, which supports this aim.

My paperwork isn't properly filled out (read: Since I'm technically already leaving the TRAITORS to eventually open this party, I currently consider myself unaffiliated and am therefore unable to support a bill). Rest assured, the next time we have a session, I'll be sure to support your bill.

Also, to Senator Cyrahzax - I need not justify my position to the likes of you. Although I would implore you to continue rambling, as it seems you ranting against my platform is already securing like-minded senators for the party. By all means, keep going, and we'll probably outnumber your platform before the party is even officially founded!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I ask the so-called Inclusionists: What is Empire? Why have proud Roman sons gone and fought and died, if not uplift and transform the conquered? You dishonor them, and every person you claim to protect! Tolerance is not inclusion: that implies a melding of cultures, one that would result in a single Roman nation. "Tolerance" is the path of a simpering nanny: only to appease children, not raise them up in the way they should go. We cannot maintain the barriers that existed before conquest! Those you "tolerate" will resent our rule, despise our cowardice, and then you will let them drive us out!

You're wrong, Senator Cyrahzax. Tolerance IS the melding of cultures. By showing that every culture is equal we can have them meld with one another, not to one large whole but to many smaller similes. Should they rise against the Empire they will be dealt with, no matter their tongue and religion.

The only fool here is you, Cyrahzax, delirious in your belief that every non-believing barbarian is out to get you.
The only coward here is you, afraid to meet someone different from you and see them eye to eye as equals.
The only traitor here is you, who wish to cast out and condemn loyal citizen of the empire because of the language they speak and the way they worship their gods. Or for that matter, what about your fellow Unitas, Senator Prince? I seem to remember him condemning Basilissa Valeria, may she rest in peace, just for the sake of being born a woman? Is that not a much more direct form of treachery?
And decadent you say? Do we not work and struggle every day to bring food to our tables? Do we not do our best to see to the well-being of our neighbours and friends? To the citizen of the empire?

The fervour of belief you seem to put in your own paranoid insanity is worrying, Senator. Perhaps it is time to step down, and let the next generation take over? Hopefully they, with a fresh mind and hopefully pure spirit, can do a better job at leading a party than either you or Senator Prince can do.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Senator Prince is not a member of Unitas, and misuses our banner. He remains the most critical of the Komnenians.

In any case, you have not been paying attention to recent developments in Unitas. We desire one thing: a single Roman culture, built from conquerors and conquered. My sons have even taken Turk brides! You say I am afraid to meet heathens? It is true. I fear for their souls, which they will surely lose, even as you watch. I fear for their lives, which they will throw away in revolt, unconvinced by our cowardly tolerance to accept Christ. Tolerance is fool's virtue: it is only segregation. They will never be us, but that is what I want: an empire of brothers. I don't preach persecution, but total integration! A society without barriers!

As for the decadent, it is not the conquered I speak of, but the Inclusionists. They would turn Rome into a caste society, with each man in his appointed place, separated from all that is different from him. They would sit on top, devouring the fruits of the state while risking nothing. Our society would no longer be worth spreading to the world!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hopefully, some day in the future, it will become practical for the Empire to reduce its focus on conquest and begin to look inward. Perhaps that will be the path to keeping the Empire from collapsing, as the Western Empire did those centuries ago. But today is not that day. Today, we must focus our efforts on actively reclaiming the lands that belong to the Empire by rights. To spreading the true faith. There will be casualties in our pursuit of this, of course, but as the saying goes, you can't make σουτζουκάκια without smashing a few tomatoes.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

JT Jag posted:

Hopefully, some day in the future, it will become practical for the Empire to reduce its focus on conquest and begin to look inward. Perhaps that will be the path to keeping the Empire from collapsing, as the Western Empire did those centuries ago. But today is not that day. Today, we must focus our efforts on actively reclaiming the lands that belong to the Empire by rights. To spreading the true faith. There will be casualties in our pursuit of this, of course, but as the saying goes, you can't make σουτζουκάκια without smashing a few tomatoes.

Senator, what on earth is a "tomato"?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
OOC: Dammit this is what I get for looking up traditional greek dishes and not Byzantine ones.

Pretend that's just the traditional omelettes quote, apparently that's time-appropriate.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

j00rBuDdY posted:

Senator, what on earth is a "tomato"?

Uh, er, ye-yes, what on Earth is this fancy-smancy tomatoe? We here in 1285 have never heard of such a thing.

Goddammit, stay in character, you're going to ruin it for the kids!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

YF-23 posted:

As Senator Mirdini pointed out, your act is little more than a New Marian proposal, and trying to weasel your way around to paint it Milvian is more indirect than the double entendres myself and your mother exchanged last night. And it is a great misfortune that your deception is not the only cause of my exasperation, for I am equally if not more mad at the rest of my fellow Milvians for not speaking out against this blatant abuse of power!

To my Milvian colleagues I pose this question: what is the point of our party? What are our priorities? Are they to expand the army? To neglect the moral and spiritual affairs of our Empire in favour of supporting a greater imperial retinue? Do we want to be remembered for our support of the army or the clergy? Are we to permit anyone to wear Milvian garb and erdoe our values like that? Let me make this clear, if the rest of the Milvian party finds it prudent to give up everything that makes us Milvian then I shall find it prudent to withdraw my support towards it.

As the esteemed Senator YF-23 has pointed out, the Military Expansion Act is hardly befitting a Milvian. Then again, the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act is hardly befitting an Old Roman, either. In the spirit of our coalition however, that the Old Romans might propose an act the Milvians support en masse, and that the Milvians might propose an act that supports Old Roman amibition - is this not the finest way for two allies in the Senate to act? Each looking after one another's interests, in this way knowing firmly that the alliance that allows us our power in the Senate will not be undone at a moment's notice?

Ghetto Prince posted:

I remind my colleague that his supposed goals will come at great cost to our Empire. As my friends in the Milvian party are expecting to receiveth , I think it's only fair that they should be expected to giveth, and as they seem to think money just falls from the sky I ##Propose the Mana From Heaven Act An immediate tax increase on the clergy to pay for their bloody wars , to support our veterans and their widows and orphans, and to cover the cost of evangelizing to the survivors.
:colbert:

What manner of man are you! You call yourself a Komnenian? The clergy, who are ever-loyal and ever-present at the side of your beloved Komnenids have more than merited a tax break, unlike the faithless douxes who take every opportunity to seize their throne from under them! The idea of punishing the clergy for giving good and loyal service to the Empire is obscene! Senator Prince, perhaps you are merely drunk, in which case your blasphemy is compounded, but once you are sober even you must recognize this idea as foolishness!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

He may be drunk, Senator, but you are a greedy fool, and in the morning he will be sober! Do you think we produce the coin needed to fund these campaigns, and the public works projects that keep our empire running, by some form of magic or divine providence? Being asked to pay taxes and contribute some of the church's wealth for the good of the realm is no punishment, but a reasonable request for the service you owe your Emperor anyway.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The notion that the Empire has a need to pillage the churches to maintain solvency is an insult to its greatness-- our wealth is already the envy of the world. If you would propose a tax hike, aim it at those whom can afford it best and need their money least-- the unworthy douxes.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

The notion that the Empire has a need to pillage the churches to maintain solvency is an insult to its greatness-- our wealth is already the envy of the world. If you would propose a tax hike, aim it at those whom can afford it best and need their money least-- the unworthy douxes.

I'm pretty sure that Somalia's wealth is the envy the world, but I guess we're quite rich, too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
We're making around 50 ducats a month, depending on how much our vassals hate us.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Flesnolk posted:

He may be drunk, Senator, but you are a greedy fool, and in the morning he will be sober!

Like, I seriously doubt that. Maybe late afternoon, tops. He's been knocking back the ouzo all day. Dude should probably start drinking water like a camel in a furnace and eat a greasy meal. Get something on his stomach before he faints.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

On behalf of myself and the various shenators passed out in the corner, I hereby announce that we have no choice but to abstain from voting. Not only has the world's lamest ruling coalition refused to propose anything remotely interesting or appealing, but I must protest the continued exclusion of the Komnenian party from the decision making process. You all get what you want -- more wars for the Romans, more power for the Milvians, even the drat byzhintines are probabably gonna get a forum or soemthing... And don't get me started on the Phana... phanarana... those fuckers with the lamps. Ooh, look at us! We've got a cool banner and like education psssh! What'd education ever do for anyone? I went to the best schools in the empire and all I got was a rude nickname and a bruised bottom. Besides, we already have a party for patting ourselves on the backs and saying how modern and enlightened we all are. They're called the newb byzantines and every one hates them. Just once I'd like to see you rat bastards propose something a real Komnenian would care about, like maybe we could rename September to Komnember or build a bitching statue of the emperor riding a lion, or, and I'm just spitballing here, massive tax breaks for the beverage industry so that the common people can finally afford their God given right to get plastered. That's the kinda senate i could believe in! Not this chickin pickin rassafrassa dolmadamned shitshow why I... why I... I need to go lie down.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Duckbag posted:

Just once I'd like to see you rat bastards propose something a real Komnenian would care about, like maybe we could rename September to Komnember or build a bitching statue of the emperor riding a lion, or, and I'm just spitballing here, massive tax breaks for the beverage industry so that the common people can finally afford their God given right to get plastered.

*pats on back* There, there. I'll tell you what, we'll name the new library at the university after Anna Komnene, how about? We'll have a tasteful statue and a garden and a plaque and everything, it'll be sweet. You really should lay down. Can we get a towel over here? Like now?

Dude, not my sandals. Oh, gross.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Rincewind posted:

We're making around 50 ducats a month, depending on how much our vassals hate us.

Remove some titles, see if they come around.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Duckbag posted:

On behalf of myself and the various shenators passed out in the corner, I hereby announce that we have no choice but to abstain from voting. Not only has the world's lamest ruling coalition refused to propose anything remotely interesting or appealing, but I must protest the continued exclusion of the Komnenian party from the decision making process. You all get what you want -- more wars for the Romans, more power for the Milvians, even the drat byzhintines are probabably gonna get a forum or soemthing... And don't get me started on the Phana... phanarana... those fuckers with the lamps. Ooh, look at us! We've got a cool banner and like education psssh! What'd education ever do for anyone? I went to the best schools in the empire and all I got was a rude nickname and a bruised bottom. Besides, we already have a party for patting ourselves on the backs and saying how modern and enlightened we all are. They're called the newb byzantines and every one hates them. Just once I'd like to see you rat bastards propose something a real Komnenian would care about, like maybe we could rename September to Komnember or build a bitching statue of the emperor riding a lion, or, and I'm just spitballing here, massive tax breaks for the beverage industry so that the common people can finally afford their God given right to get plastered. That's the kinda senate i could believe in! Not this chickin pickin rassafrassa dolmadamned shitshow why I... why I... I need to go lie down.

I shecond th' motion! Can't you rear end'oles talk 'bout anythin' 'esides where t' invade next?

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

(?)

##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
##Sponsor Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
##Sponsor the Varangian Reward Act

To be honest, I'm feeling deeply apathetic this session; perhaps it's time for me to pass my seat to another... Or maybe I just need a vacation. I should go see Rome, maybe. Well, regardless, I think we have enough expansion ideas at the moment, so I'll be voting for a few things looking at what to do with the land we'd be getting, and ways to improve the empire! In truth, that's a matter that weighs heavily on me; I've had sons die in arms for this empire, and as time's gone on, I've wished we had better (not more -- that is what they died for, and, well, we certainly have gotten it, and will get it -- but of a greater quality) to have had at their back, and for them to have died hoping to return to. That what our young soldiers fight for, that what our workers toil for, that what our citizens pledge loyalty for, is not a monster, but a shining jewel.

I'll think about the Inclusionists. I'm not 100% anti-war, but I'm with their platform elsewhere, and believe they have a place in our Senate. Again, I'm feeling rather apathetic. Well, it'll only really matter next realignment, and I'll see what comes of it then.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

GoatLord posted:

I shecond th' motion! Can't you rear end'oles talk 'bout anythin' 'esides where t' invade next?

In a move that will surprise absolutely no one, the Komnenians have decided to finally took a long hard look at their party platform of 1) come to the Senate, 2) vote on bills, and 3) drink heavily, and decided to just cut out step two and get on with it.

It's alright, gentlemen, ramble away-- we'll be happy to make policy while you stumble about.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

In a move that will surprise absolutely no one, the Komnenians have decided to finally took a long hard look at their party platform of 1) come to the Senate, 2) vote on bills, and 3) drink heavily, and decided to just cut out step two and get on with it.

It's alright, gentlemen, ramble away-- we'll be happy to make policy while you stumble about.

Hopefully soon they'll drop all pretenses and cut out step one as well. Maybe then my Senate garb will no longer smell of an unholy amalgam of booze, vomit, and piss.

Anyway, to voting:

When I heard an Old Roman-Milvian coalition was appointed to head the Senate I feared we would soon be drowning in a waterfall of edicts and decrees of conquest, but to my surprise when I looked at the laws already on the books there wasn't anymore room for wars and annexations. With that in mind, I:

##Sponsor the Imperial Army Act.
Centralizing the military will only cut down on unnecessary casualties amongst the civilians and peasants in our glorious Empire, as well as acting as a phenomenal curb upon the power of the Douxes. We must take every measure to weaken those who so often throw our Empire into chaos.

##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
We must do everything in our power to welcome and accept the various and sundry ethnic groups in our Empire.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I must protest against the so-called Cosmopolitan Empire Act! It is a fool's errand, and will do nothing but encourage rebellion. None of you seem to understand the nature of conquest: it is proclamation of right, authority, and superiority over lesser states and men. That is not to say all men aren't equal: they are born with equal potential, but the Romans appear to be the best at unlocking it. Now, with their inferiority proved by conquest, what do we do? We tolerate them. It is the greatest insult imaginable. It says we are so sure of our superiority, of their inferiority, that we don't even need to fear rebellion. That they could never overcome us. That that unworthy to be anything but lesser and segregated subjects! Who could not resent this? What could be more arrogant? More base?

Instead we must encourage cultural melding! While Rome is great, we can learn. As Scipio Africanus did not field legionaries, Caesar did not field cataphracts. Therefore, we should not maintain the petty boundaries of culture. Instead, we should work to incorporate all the people of the Empire into a single Roman culture, one built from conquers and conquered. We must build a great Roman family, where a Georgian can rightfully called an Italian's brother, and both can be called Romans! We must strive for true unity, not the mockery that is "tolerance"!

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

## Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
## Sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
## Sponsor the Evangelism Act

First and formost, it is an absolute pleasure to see my brothers in the Milvian party ascendant, but I do have to echo some of the concerns that have been raised by other senators in the august chamber.

As to the goals of some of my Milvian brothers to promote an expansion of the Imperial army, I can understand your belief that a strong force of arms is all that is needed rebuild the Pentarchy but we must not fall under that delusion. Your zealousness is earnest, and in the past I too have fallen for the folly that we can restore our faith to its rightful place solely through the Imperial strength of arms. But we must not become so reliant on the workings of the Empire that we merely become its lapdogs. If we are so determined to create an army of the faith, perhaps an order of holy men may be formed to take up arms, thus satisfying both the expansion of available forces and the complaint that the Church has not contributed as fully to Imperial endeavors.

Secondly, what need have we of wars against fellow Christians? I see no benefit to spending men and material on goals that do nothing for the spiritual health of our Empire, and this focus away from our true goals of retaking the Holy Land is a dangerous distraction. The gains of such an endeavor are few, and I would state that we already have sufficient options in growing the faith and the Church's power by rebuilding the Pentarchy. Surely no Christian man, woman, or child would deny the supremacy of the Pentarchy, and the Catholics would become irrelevant.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
OLD ROMAN PARTIES: 24

Old Romans: 22
Samuel
Horsebanger
Skyfinder
Ubern00b
Charlie Mopps
nothing to seehere
GenHavoc
NewMars
Flesnolk
Gnooble
RagnarokZ
DivineCoffeeBinge
StrifeHira
Pyroi
Semquais
JT Jag
Grim reaper
Third Murderer
BwenGun
AdventFalls
Alexey
Yvonmukluk

Unitas: 2
EightDeer
Lord Cyrahzax

NEW BYZANTINE PARTIES: 24

New Byzantines: 20
j00rBuDdY
Lynneth
Caustic Soda
Aeromancia
cokerpilot
D3m3
OddObserver
Freudian
Ratoslov
Luhood
General Antares
ChrisAsmadi
Frozen_flame
Lost Season
Sleep of Bronze
Mirdini
Clayren
Bart Roberts III
sheep-dodger
beefart

Steppes and Republics: 1
Blackunknown

Loyalists

Centrists:1
Raserys

Pragmatists: 2
Meinberg
Archaeology Hat

MILVIAN PARTIES: 10

Milvians: 7
occipitallobe
YF-23
AJ_Impy
Vander
Sindai
Adept Nightingale
WilliamAnderson

Fraternalists: 3
Rejected Fate
Jimmy4400nav
mageofthesands

KOMNENIAN PARTIES: 10

Komnenians: 9
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
Ghetto Prince
Deceitful Penguin
GoatLord
theblastizard
Duckbag
Patter Song
MacRomanGuy

Hellenic Restoration: 1
ThatBasqueGuy

DISCORDIAN PARTIES: 7

Discordians: 1
Ghostwoods

Guiding Light: 3
Sampatrick
TheFlyingLlama
Talas

True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife: 2
Ofaloaf
TheMcD

The People: 1
JGBeagle

CROSS-PARTY FACTIONS

New Marians
AJ_Impy

Expansionists
nothing to seehere
EightDeer
AJ_Impy
DivineCoffeeBinge
Lord Cyrahzax
Adept Nightingale

Phanariotes
occipitallobe
j00rBuDdY
Lynneth
Caustic Soda
Ghetto Prince
YF-23
Rejected Fate
Aeromancia
NewMars
AJ_Impy
Jimmy4400nav
D3m3
Lord Cyrahzax
OddObserver
Ratoslov
Luhood
Meinberg
GoatLord
TheMcD
JGBeagle
TheFlyingLlama
Ghostwoods
Pyroi
Lost Season
Third Murderer
AdventFalls
sheep-dodger
Yvonmukluk

Old Romans
Heraclius Act(Liberate Armenia, Syria, Palestine, and Egypt. Repeal Pilgrimage Protection Act)
Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys

Illyrian Reconquest Act (Fix our hideous northern border by conquering Serbia and Croatia.)
Skyfinder
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia
--Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys

Expansion of Orthodoxy Act (Look for claimants to Catholic thrones, invite them, convert them, and then press their claims)
JT Jag
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Adept Nightingale
--NewMars
--StrifeHira
--occipitallobe
--AJ_Impy
--Samuel
--YF-23
--Ghostwoods
--Alexey
--Freudian
--Aeromancia
--Skyfinder
--MacRomanGuy
--Lynneth
--Vander
--Raserys

Next Stop, Africa Act (Put Alexandria and Tunis on the chopping block after Italy and the Holy Land)
DivineCoffeeBinge
--StrifeHira
--occipitallobe
--JT Jag
--Horsebanger
--Ubern00b
--Ghostwoods
--Third Murderer
--Lynneth
--Vander
--Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys
--Unwise_Cashew

Assimilate the Theme of Genoa (Conquer the smoking ruins of the former Republic of Genoa from the Bulgarians mercenaries squatting in the ashes)
Samuel
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Meinberg
--Flesnolk
--Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys

Amended Nomenclature Act (Rename all provinces in Greek or Latin. Rebrand Old Romans as Populares and probably get some sort of related EU4 idea or event or something if it lasts until 1444.)
Ubern00b
--Skyfinder
--Ghetto Prince
--Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys

Cosmopolitan Empire Act (Promote cultural tolerance within borders and work with other powers even if they're different cultures)
Third Murderer
--AdventFalls
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Flesnolk
--Ghetto Prince
--Luhood
--Raserys
--Ratoslov
--D3m3
--Lost Season

Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act (Build up holdings to optimize income)
Third Murderer
--Meinberg
--Flesnolk
--Luhood
--Raserys
--Ratoslov

Jewish Reward Act (Establish an independent Jewish state in Iberia or Africa)
AdventFalls
--ThatBasqueGuy
--Ghostwoods
--Meinberg
--Necroskowitz
--Raserys
--JGBeagle

Naval Reforms Act (Advance in naval technology, finally upgrade our ports, etc.)
AdventFalls
--Ghetto Prince
--Mirdini
--Raserys

Franco-Roman Alliance Act (Try to ally with France again)
Flesnolk
--Ofaloaf
--JGBeagle

Divided As One Act (Meld the empire into one... somehow?)
Lord Cyrahzax
--Blackunknown
--Raserys

Milvians
The Imperial Army Act (Put our money towards increasing retinues (i.e., +retinue size buildings, etc.)
Adept Nightingale
--Ratoslov
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--NewMars
--j00rBuDdY
--StrifeHira
--JT Jag
--AJ_Impy
--Samuel
--Ubern00b
--Ghostwoods
--Freudian
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia
--Skyfinder
--MacRomanGuy
--Lynneth
--Meinberg
--Luhood
--Raserys
--Lost Season

Church Tax Break (Lower Church taxes with whatever goofy thing PB named that realm law)
occipitallobe
--YF-23
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Raserys

The Varangian Reward Act (Give Jerusalem to the Varangians when/if we get our filthy paws on it)
WilliamAnderson
--Samuel
--YF-23
--ThatBasqueGuy
--Mirdini
--Luhood
--Raserys
--JGBeagle
--Ratoslov
--D3m3

Evangelism Act (Court Chaplain should always be trying to convert largest pagan state in range, except in cases of heresy or heathenism in our pentarchies)
AJ_Impy
--j00rBuDdY
--YF-23
--OddObserver
--Alexey
--Frozen_flame
--Caustic Soda
--Meinberg
--Raserys
--Unwise_Cashew

Church Inauguration Act (All newly-built holdings must be churches.)
YF-23
--Raserys

Merchant Levant Act (Establish a merchant republic in the Levant)
Rejected Fate
--Third Murderer
--YF-23
--Raserys
--JGBeagle

No Pally of the Somali Act (Embargo Somalia)
Rejected Fate
--Lord Cyrahzax
--Raserys

Phanariotes
Tri-Lingual Literacy Act (Make Greek, Latin, and Arabic co-equal as the languages of science and scholarship. Get a cool national idea based on this in EU4!)
Ratoslov
--Bart Roberts III
--NewMars
--j00rBuDdY
--occipitallobe
--YF-23
--Ghostwoods
--Alexey
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia
--TheFlyingLlama
--Skyfinder
--AdventFalls
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Caustic Soda
--Lynneth
--Meinberg
--Ghetto Prince
--Mirdini
--Luhood
--Raserys
--JGBeagle
--D3m3
--Lost Season
--Unwise_Cashew

Ducal Education Act (The Emperor, his heir, or an appropriate courtier should educate child douxes whenever possible)
AJ_Impy
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Flesnolk
--Raserys

Imperial Wisdom Act (All Born in the Purple children must receive an ecclesiastical education)
YF-23
--Ofaloaf
--Raserys

Paint it White Act (Ban the Black Chamber, which totally exists and is not a fake conspiracy theory)
Rejected Fate
--Ghetto Prince
--YF-23
--Raserys

Meaningless Procedural Business (No votes required)
--New Marians dissolve! Sorry guys, maybe you'll be back when we're playing a game where we can actually meaningfully affect the overall composition of our military. :v:
--Italy now to be conquered in a totally Old Roman way.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

## Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
## Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
## Sponsor the Evangelism Act
## Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I am glad to see that at least some other fellow Milvians share my concerns! There is yet hope for this chamber.

That said, I recognise that a significant segment of our party prioritises the reconquest of the Holy Land and the restoration of the patriarchates of Jerusalem and Alexandria. I also recognise that, though I consider it sufficient, the Imperial Army would have to face uncertain odds to accomplish those reconquests. Do I think it wise to ensure a greater military strength before we embark on such a crusade? I do. And yet I must still oppose the Imperial Army Act on the grounds of it being an attempt to strengthen a beast that already is at its limits, and most importantly I must oppose it on the grounds of it being inherently un-Milvian. I shall not repeat my accusations of the act being a New Marian takeover of the Milvian proposal. You have all heard me talk of that at length already and I do not wish to bore you.

What I shall make, however, is a counter-proposal. One that addresses the issue the Imperial Army Act is purported to address more efficiently, and one which I think has the benefit of being actually Milvian.

##Propose the Valerian Order Establishment Act
This bill would demand that the Emperor sees to establish a new military Holy Order, dedicated to Empress Valeria the Apostle, to protect Christendom against its foes and offer its support in the campaigns to liberate the Holy Land and the Patriarchate of Alexandria.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

##Support the Valerian Order Establishment Act

Quite frankly, holy orders are quite Frankish and I am, as always, in favor of moving ourselves closer to a Latin model of governance and warfare.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

YF-23 posted:

##Propose the Valerian Order Establishment Act
This bill would demand that the Emperor sees to establish a new military Holy Order, dedicated to Empress Valeria the Apostle, to protect Christendom against its foes and offer its support in the campaigns to liberate the Holy Land and the Patriarchate of Alexandria.

(OOC talk)

This would be an awesome idea if there were any way at all to actually do it in-game, but without editing the mod or something it's not a thing CK2 is set up to do. That's not to say it's not worth discussion - but I think there's a degree of practicality that needs to be addressed. We can only work within the framework that the game itself provides, no?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(OOC talk)

This would be an awesome idea if there were any way at all to actually do it in-game, but without editing the mod or something it's not a thing CK2 is set up to do. That's not to say it's not worth discussion - but I think there's a degree of practicality that needs to be addressed. We can only work within the framework that the game itself provides, no?

(OOC)

I talked this with Rince, there's no issue with doing some modding for this. And it wouldn't put us in any ridiculous strategical advantage anyway since non-Catholics get gently caress-all when it comes to Holy Orders.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Yeah, this is sufficiently cool I'd mod it in (especially since we literally don't have access to any Holy Orders right now, since you need to hold Jerusalem to get the only Orthodox one in-game).

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, this is sufficiently cool I'd mod it in (especially since we literally don't have access to any Holy Orders right now, since you need to hold Jerusalem to get the only Orthodox one in-game).

Does that mean we can get it without a vote?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

AdventFalls posted:

Does that mean we can get it without a vote?

No, you'll still need to vote it in.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Maybe we could even give them Cyprus or something for EU4.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Support the Valerian Order Establishment Act

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2014

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

YF-23 posted:

I am glad to see that at least some other fellow Milvians share my concerns! There is yet hope for this chamber.

That said, I recognise that a significant segment of our party prioritises the reconquest of the Holy Land and the restoration of the patriarchates of Jerusalem and Alexandria. I also recognise that, though I consider it sufficient, the Imperial Army would have to face uncertain odds to accomplish those reconquests. Do I think it wise to ensure a greater military strength before we embark on such a crusade? I do. And yet I must still oppose the Imperial Army Act on the grounds of it being an attempt to strengthen a beast that already is at its limits, and most importantly I must oppose it on the grounds of it being inherently un-Milvian. I shall not repeat my accusations of the act being a New Marian takeover of the Milvian proposal. You have all heard me talk of that at length already and I do not wish to bore you.

What I shall make, however, is a counter-proposal. One that addresses the issue the Imperial Army Act is purported to address more efficiently, and one which I think has the benefit of being actually Milvian.

It says everything I could possibly need to that the papist heretics have jumped on to support your bill with such fervor, senator. I trust everyone else will take note.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

It says everything I could possibly need to that the papist heretics have jumped on to support your bill with such fervor, senator. I trust everyone else will take note.

In his defense, I used the wrong icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

##Sponser The Valerian Order Establishment Act

• Locked thread