Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gotta try and spin the Valefor around to tail swipe my party before they kill it on Atomos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I wasn't planning on pre-ordering Wildstar. A 25% off coupon from GMG changed my mind. If you receive GMG offers, check your email. The codes are unique and they were sent four days ago. After the coupon and $10 bonus cash from my last purchase, I got the deluxe edition for $46.25.

The pre-order incentives are above the line, the deluxe edition incentives are below it:
Exclusive rocket house
Access to beta weekends (three remaining closed beta weekends)
3-day head start (after open beta)
Exclusive housing trophy
In-game storage bag
Pre-order title
Player name reservation
--------------------------
Eldan Hoverboard
Eldan Augmentation Costume
Eldan Title
Eldan Dye

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 24, 2014

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

IRSmurf posted:

I wasn't planning on pre-ordering Wildstar. A 25% off coupon from GMG changed my mind. If you receive GMG offers, check your email. The codes are unique and they were sent four days ago. After the coupon and $10 bonus cash from my last purchase, I got the deluxe edition for $46.25.

The pre-order incentives are above the line, the deluxe edition incentives are below it:
Exclusive rocket house
Exclusive housing trophy
In-game storage bag
Pre-order title
Player name reservation
Eldan Hoverboard
Eldan Title
Eldan Dye

Just found this one online and it worked for me PLOCVS-G2T5YX-DATY6M

48$ for the standard edition.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

IRSmurf posted:

Exclusive rocket house
Exclusive housing trophy
In-game storage bag
Pre-order title
Player name reservation
Eldan Hoverboard
Eldan Title
Eldan Dye

This is the Augmentation Costume aka Omni-Plasmic.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Why would anyone want to look like a robo-hobo?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slashrat posted:

Why would anyone want to look like a robo-hobo?

Why would anyone ever not?

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Perhaps with dyes, the mask could be used as a Godot from Phoenix Wright tribute.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I really wish Carbine was a bit more transparent with their development process. Right now as a 50 whose seen most of the non-raid content except for the crimson isle quests, I've got no incentive to log in except for looking at balance/content changes. I know bug/engine/balance fixes are almost certainly the priority, but is there poo poo on the way?

Mayostard posted:

Perhaps with dyes, the mask could be used as a Godot from Phoenix Wright tribute.

If the chest part could go over other armor, it'd be pretty cool, but as is, I'm glad I got the regular edition. Also I hope to hell you can dye it, because I'll be sick of that shade of green a month or so after launch.

Deki fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 24, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lemon King posted:

This is the Augmentation Costume aka Omni-Plasmic.

Is it as ridiculously skimpy on female characters? It's depressing, but they'll probably make a few sales if some creeper can drill a few holes into their aurin and implant that crap. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 24, 2014

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

IRSmurf posted:

Exclusive rocket house
Exclusive housing trophy
In-game storage bag
Pre-order title
Player name reservation
Eldan Hoverboard
Eldan Title
Eldan Dye

I've tried to convince myself a long time that I won't buy it too soon, but my will wasn't strong. The GMG deal was nice, even though they force GBP on the whole Europe.

Anyway, I am sure I remember reading somewhere that pre-order people will also have 3 codes of (7?) days trial for friends after the game is released. Or it was for all orders not just pre-orders? Or I dreamt it.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Merope posted:

I've tried to convince myself a long time that I won't buy it too soon, but my will wasn't strong. The GMG deal was nice, even though they force GBP on the whole Europe.

Anyway, I am sure I remember reading somewhere that pre-order people will also have 3 codes of (7?) days trial for friends after the game is released. Or it was for all orders not just pre-orders? Or I dreamt it.

It's not a pre-order thing. Everyone will get the codes.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:
I don't know why, but I was getting strong Ratchet and Clank vibes from the Rocket House commercial. Maybe it was the art style combined with a similar sense of humor.

Unless I can find a good VPN for playing from China I'm going to have to miss out on this launch, sadly.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

IRSmurf posted:

This reminds how Wildstar, TESO, and every other new MMO these days is $60 and I do not understand why. Square had the perfect idea with the $30 retail price (now $20 or lower almost everywhere) at ARR launch, since the aim of MMOs, P2P or F2P, is to get as many folks hooked on your game for many months as possible. There should be a low barrier of entry in price, since the vast majority of revenue comes from subscription fees, not the initial copy. Now I guess if NCSoft and Zenimax and other publishers don't see their games succeeding past the first month or two, then that's a different story... but then why are they bothering to release their games? This is a rhetorical question and I know exactly why, so don't bother explaining the obvious to me.

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

Killer Queen posted:

This reminds how Wildstar, TESO, and every other new MMO these days is $60 and I do not understand why. Square had the perfect idea with the $30 retail price (now $20 or lower almost everywhere) at ARR launch, since the aim of MMOs, P2P or F2P, is to get as many folks hooked on your game for many months as possible. There should be a low barrier of entry in price, since the vast majority of revenue comes from subscription fees, not the initial copy. Now I guess if NCSoft and Zenimax and other publishers don't see their games succeeding past the first month or two, then that's a different story... but then why are they bothering to release their games? This is a rhetorical question and I know exactly why, so don't bother explaining the obvious to me.

My only guess is that someone actually did the research and this price point will maximize their profits.

This remark isn't facetious, there are other reasons why some games (console in particular) are set around $60. It is basically because the game will have to take up space in a brick-and-mortar store. This is why you have a ton more variation in price for games that are digitally distributed.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Killer Queen posted:

The asnwer , as you alluded to, is that they make most of their money on box sales. People are willing to pay more for a box than they are for a second month's worth of game time simply because they quit and the sub has no value. More money and more of it up front. I'm guessing that preorders haven't gone well since Carbine/NCSoft have been quiet, but we'll have to see.

Comparing the 2.0 patch of a tried-and-failed MMO to a new AAA release is a bit unfair as well.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

ItBurns posted:

The asnwer , as you alluded to, is that they make most of their money on box sales. People are willing to pay more for a box than they are for a second month's worth of game time simply because they quit and the sub has no value. More money and more of it up front. I'm guessing that preorders haven't gone well since Carbine/NCSoft have been quiet, but we'll have to see.

Comparing the 2.0 patch of a tried-and-failed MMO to a new AAA release is a bit unfair as well.

Have any devs released pre-order numbers prior to release? Also it's been 6 days since we've been able to pre-order.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I wonder how a big-budget hyped up MMO from a major publisher with no purchase price, a generous 10 day or whatever free trial, and a standard $15/month subscription would go. You're probably all correct that marketing departments have crunched the numbers and seen the metrics tell the story of how an inflated box price beats the revenue gained without the required additional subscribers to make up for it.

Still, I'm convinced more revenue models than simply F2P and P2P would work and haven't been explored in real life settings, as seen with GW2's success. The problem is the degree of the risk means it'll never happen.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

FoolishLobster posted:

Have any devs released pre-order numbers prior to release? Also it's been 6 days since we've been able to pre-order.

In recent memory, Anet released theirs for GW2. Carbine have also been using every single metric available up to this point to hype the game. I seriously doubt that they're not keeping track of sales and it hasn't been taboo to brag thus far if that's what you're implying.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
My theory for the price being so high on the official store is that they probably don't want to really compete with third party sites for sales as they need them to promote the game.

So by having a high official price they allow other retailers to sell at a more competitive price (for instance in the guise of generous rebates ala GMG so you think you're getting a good deal) while still having a good enough margin to make them want to promote the game.

At the same time they will still get some people paying a premium by purchasing directly on the official site without realizing its cheaper elsewhere.

Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Killer Queen posted:

I wonder how a big-budget hyped up MMO from a major publisher with no purchase price, a generous 10 day or whatever free trial, and a standard $15/month subscription would go.

I think a non-trivial purchase price means a non-trivial sunk cost on day 1. The Sunk Cost Fallacy is a big part of keeping MMO players hooked from what I've read.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Archonex posted:

Is it as ridiculously skimpy on female characters? It's depressing, but they'll probably make a few sales if some creeper can drill a few holes into their aurin and implant that crap. :stare:

The underwear should still show, unless you're a fembot.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

ItBurns posted:

In recent memory, Anet released theirs for GW2. Carbine have also been using every single metric available up to this point to hype the game. I seriously doubt that they're not keeping track of sales and it hasn't been taboo to brag thus far if that's what you're implying.

I was thinking about GW2 as well and I had forgotten if they released pre-order numbers. All I remember from GW2 is their beta signups hitting 1 million and them counting down to it. Carbine is definitely keeping track, in fact Gaffney mentioned on a Reddit thread about the pre-order ticker going up and that they were excited by the numbers they were seeing. Not sure about their stance on releasing preorder numbers so soon and maybe they're waiting for a certain date or until a certain amount have been pre-ordered. And they'd have to tally the amount from brick and mortar stores I guess, not sure how long that takes them.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
I still have a regular edition available to sell for $48. I bought it from GMG, but I had some wife aggro for buying it without talking with her first. Someone help a man out and buy it off me via paypal.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!

Lemon King posted:

A robot that has had cyborg augmentations.

A robot that's been made more robot.

That's amazing.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Okay, but what's it look like on a bunnygirl? Or a hamster?

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

Wet Fifty posted:

I still have a regular edition available to sell for $48. I bought it from GMG, but I had some wife aggro for buying it without talking with her first. Someone help a man out and buy it off me via paypal.

whywecannothave40manraids.txt

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I like that over an entire beta weekend this thread got like 14 posts.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I'd like to think that people who enjoyed the game probably didn't come to post about it lest they be told what a dumb idiot they are for participating in such a terrible gametm

:ohdear:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

kafziel posted:

Okay, but what's it look like on a bunnygirl? Or a hamster?

I didn't make characters of those races.

e: Have some other stuff I found
http://imgur.com/a/avfde
http://imgur.com/a/1aEka

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 24, 2014

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lemon King posted:

I hadn't seen the full raid sets (even internally) until you posted them. The bot faces in the Engineer armor is just so perfect for me. Definitely sticking to Engi for launch.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Pryce posted:

I hadn't seen the full raid sets (even internally) until you posted them. The bot faces in the Engineer armor is just so perfect for me. Definitely sticking to Engi for launch.
The bot face engi armor 002A isn't attached to a raid set. :smith:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

It's because most of the people who want to have played the game already have so it's already out of our system and all the people who like it shut up and all the people that don't said whatever they didn't like and stopped playing. The beta weekends at this point gave everyone with any sort of enthusiasm a lot of opportunities to try it before this weekend so yeah vOv

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lemon King posted:

The bot face engi armor 002A isn't attached to a raid set. :smith:

Just cause you don't know what it's for doesn't mean I don't. :D

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Pryce posted:

Just cause you don't know what it's for doesn't mean I don't. :D
Now thats a proper tease. :yayclod:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lemon King posted:

drat, the engineer armor looks sweet as hell, though I think the stripper wizard look of the spellslinger would be fun too.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

I really like these Esper sets, reminds me of a space wizard from the Metroid series.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2014

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
The green and black medic set looks sweet. I don't like any of the spellslinger sets, though.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

Lemon King posted:

space wizard from the Metroid series.

Well thanks, now I can't unsee the fusion suit. The one on the left looks pretty sweet, though

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Well that sucks, seems like most the warrior sets look like hell :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Shath Hole posted:

Well that sucks, seems like most the warrior sets look like hell :(

I'm pretty sure you can still costume them out though.

I quite like those armor designs have been quite underwhelmed by the armors (only made it to level 21)

• Locked thread