Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My roommate showed me these today. They don't seem to have much resell value on eBay since they are just brass. Still cool nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Took a half day at work today so I was able to go to my local coin shop before it closed. Picked up my first 2 ever Franklin halves. By far my favorite 90% numi. Both are 1963's and I plan on completing a roll of 20.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Franklin Halves can be fun coins, I think it's a nice design

If you're just buying them as bullion I can't imagine the premium over spot is terribly much

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My LCS charges $9 + tax. The cheapest I can find on eBay are like $11 shipped.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've started making some videos about the coins I have. I'm a newbie, so this stuff should be old hat to most of you. Interesting to me, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebZcUoG5Jk

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I have to say that I didn't know that about shell casings being recycled for use in minting lincoln cents, great idea though

I could tell you everything about US paper money and some things about ancient coins, but my numismatic knowledge of US coins is lacking a bit

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Stopped by my LCS today and picked up another 8 Franklin halves to make a half roll.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
Franklin half's are great coins. I feel they are under priced in high grades, and have been for a few years. Its really a coin that doesn't have a huge following yet, and i think the meta will change over the next 10 years or so, when walking liberty's get priced out of the average collectors hands.

Alot of the coins are condition rarity's, and a cherry picker with an eagle eye that can spot a mint state with full bell line will find value to follow.

Another coin i really like is the 1996-w Roosevelt dime. It was only issued with the mint set that year, and at a mintage of just 1,457,000 coins it represents the lowest production of all the Roosevelt dimes. You can pick them up for $15-20 each, and have a huge upside potential. Build you a roll, and put it away for your kids.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.

Al Harrington posted:

Franklin Halves can be fun coins, I think it's a nice design

If you're just buying them as bullion I can't imagine the premium over spot is terribly much

Franklin Half was the first set I completed. A very nice coin, and easy one to complete too. They cut minting short I believe to quickly do Kennedy halves.

One of my best finds was going to the bank, asking for a roll of halves to go thru, and they bring out this ancient looking double-long roll. Entirely full of Franklins.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah I love Franklins. I'm not sure if it's how they produced the planchets or whatever, but mint state Franklin half dollars are absolutely booming with luster.

They also tone up very nicely:

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 19, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Wow is that one with the green bean yours? Lovely toning

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I wish! I do have a couple of rainbow toned Franklins, but they're nowhere near as nice as that one.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Awesome! An auction ended that I forgot I bid on. Slabbed 1996-W (West Point) Roosevelt dime for $26. MS67. It may be a little expensive, but I've wanted one of these for a while. They posted that it was graded by ANACS, but you can see the slab well enough to see its NGC

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Are you ready for another intensely boring video in which I talk about coins? I think you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2jwl9wpS8

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Finally completed a pound of copper pennies (3 rolls). I have a habit of looking through all my friends and family's spare change all the time now. While replacing what I take of course.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here's a few random coins my dad gave me, they are mostly non-US and some are pretty beaten up. He was curious if they are worth anything, I told him not to expect much, but any info would be much appreciated.

1. France, 5 francs, 1834. Looks like it was stabbed with an ice pick.
2. England (I assume), 1861, Half penny
3. Nicaragua, 1939, 50 centavos, apparently used for drill press practice
4. Germany, 1937, 2 Reichsmarks. Brought back by my grandfather in ww2.
5. Italy, 1939, 10 something or other
6. Belgium, 1905, 10 cents
7. Germany, 1918, 10 pfennig
8. Syria, no date in English, 1 piastre
9. USA, 1863, maybe a penny, or a souvenir, can't tell. Reads: "The flag of our union. If anybody attempts to tear it down, shoot him on the spot", and "DIX"

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 25, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Don't you hate when people poke holes in coins for necklaces?

Also is anyone here interested in foreign coins and paper money? I have some coins and cash from Aruba, the Bahamas, Portugal and other random countries that I'm not interested in keeping. If anyone is curious I could snap some pictures of them tomorrow and post them here.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I could be interested in the paper, will need to see what's there

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have some Iraqi paper money with Hussein on them. Hilarious.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking it looked like, but it seems like they would have wanted the coin straight. :shrug:

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Snowy posted:

Here's a few random coins my dad gave me, they are mostly non-US and some are pretty beaten up. He was curious if they are worth anything, I told him not to expect much, but any info would be much appreciated.

1. France, 5 francs, 1834. Looks like it was stabbed with an ice pick.
2. England (I assume), 1861, Half penny
3. Nicaragua, 1939, 50 centavos, apparently used for drill press practice
4. Germany, 1937, 2 Reichsmarks. Brought back by my grandfather in ww2.
5. Italy, 1939, 10 something or other
6. Belgium, 1905, 10 cents
7. Germany, 1918, 10 pfennig
8. Syria, no date in English, 1 piastre
9. USA, 1863, maybe a penny, or a souvenir, can't tell. Reads: "The flag of our union. If anybody attempts to tear it down, shoot him on the spot", and "DIX"

1. This coin has 14-15 dollars worth of silver in it, so it's worth at least that. Unfortunately, it's so beat up you might not be able to get much more than that. The max value on this coin is about 20 dollars, with you being able to get 14-15 all day.
2. This coin appears to be the common type worth 2-3 dollars. There are some rare varieties, which could make it worth as much as 20 bucks.
3.If this didn't have holes, it could be worth a couple bucks. It's essentially worthless with the holes.
4. Common date nazi 2 reichsmark. About 3 dollars worth of silver, but it could still sell for ~6 dollars on eBay. Much nicer ones can be had for 8 dollars.
5. 10 Centime. Not really worth anything. <25 cents
6. 25 cents.
7. Koblenz WWI notgeld. That coin isn't in that bad of shape given the fact that I believe it's made of iron. It's one of the more common notgeld coins you see. I have one in similar condition and would be happy if I could get 3 bucks for it.
8. I don't know arabic dates either.
9. Token collectors are their own breed, and I unfortunately am not one of them. I've never had a valuable token before, but they supposedly exist. You would likely spend far more money in time trying to figure out what it is, than what it's worth.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Also is anyone here interested in foreign coins and paper money? I have some coins and cash from Aruba, the Bahamas, Portugal and other random countries that I'm not interested in keeping. If anyone is curious I could snap some pictures of them tomorrow and post them here.

I like foreign coins since I collect almost exclusively european coins. What type of stuff are we talking about? They'd have to be pretty nice to justify shipping.

Here's one of my American coins. They just finished revising the eastern leg of the Bay Bridge last year. Here's the coin that commemorated its opening in 1936:

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 25, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

The Syrian coin is brass WWII Emergency Coinage, No Date (circa 1942)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'll jump into this.

Received a few dollars of quarters as a tip recently. Five of them range from 1954-1964.

They're not in great shape, so I figure they're worth more as scrap. What's a real world value for them, and the best way to sell them?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jimmy James posted:

1. This coin has 14-15 dollars worth of silver in it, so it's worth at least that. Unfortunately, it's so beat up you might not be able to get much more than that. The max value on this coin is about 20 dollars, with you being able to get 14-15 all day.
2. This coin appears to be the common type worth 2-3 dollars. There are some rare varieties, which could make it worth as much as 20 bucks.
3.If this didn't have holes, it could be worth a couple bucks. It's essentially worthless with the holes.
4. Common date nazi 2 reichsmark. About 3 dollars worth of silver, but it could still sell for ~6 dollars on eBay. Much nicer ones can be had for 8 dollars.
5. 10 Centime. Not really worth anything. <25 cents
6. 25 cents.
7. Koblenz WWI notgeld. That coin isn't in that bad of shape given the fact that I believe it's made of iron. It's one of the more common notgeld coins you see. I have one in similar condition and would be happy if I could get 3 bucks for it.
8. I don't know arabic dates either.
9. Token collectors are their own breed, and I unfortunately am not one of them. I've never had a valuable token before, but they supposedly exist. You would likely spend far more money in time trying to figure out what it is, than what it's worth.

Al Harrington posted:

The Syrian coin is brass WWII Emergency Coinage, No Date (circa 1942)

Thank you both!! My dad is going to be happy to learn that.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

some texas redneck posted:

I'll jump into this.

Received a few dollars of quarters as a tip recently. Five of them range from 1954-1964.

They're not in great shape, so I figure they're worth more as scrap. What's a real world value for them, and the best way to sell them?

You might have the best luck selling them as a lot on Ebay. Just scope out what other successful sellers are dumping them for. I'm a rookie at this stuff but even for a rough silver quarter you could probably snag $4-5 - melt value right now is around $3.50, which is what you'd get if you went to a coin shop I suppose.

The silver quarters are popular because they're both a considerable amount of silver and also a well portioned amount. Perfect for people who imagine themselves as silver kings during the next great depression.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

I'll jump into this.

Check out this website: http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

It gives you an up to date price on the melt value of silver coins as the price of silver changes throughout the day. Right now they are worth about $3.62 a piece in silver but they sell for higher on eBay (of course you need to factor in fees and shipping). Coin shops will probably only pay you melt value so if you need to throw $18 into your gas tank or something one day stop by one. If not, just store them away and forget about them for a decade. :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

I like foreign coins since I collect almost exclusively european coins. What type of stuff are we talking about? They'd have to be pretty nice to justify shipping.

I ended up throwing it all up together on eBay starting at 99 cents + shipping.

On that note, I got paid today and since the POS dropped about a dollar in the past couple weeks I was able score another five 1963 Franklin Halves for 50 cents cheaper a piece than last time. Only need 5 more to complete my roll.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Snowy posted:

Thank you both!! My dad is going to be happy to learn that.

Out of curiousity, I went and tried googling you token. It appears to be a fairly well known civil war era token. I checked eBay, and they do appear to sell for actual money. Yours is pretty worn so it isn't going to be worth as much as others, but it could still be worth something in the 5 dollar range.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sold.

Anyone up for some trading?

I have two Engelhard Prospectors that were bought from APMEX that I'm looking to trade. The 1982 has the E reverse and the 1985 has the Eagle reverse. I'm looking to trade for five Franklin Half Dollars (preferably all 1963) and $.75 FV in 90% US coinage (your choice) or $12 via PayPal.

They will be shipped in plastic sleeves in a padded envelope via USPS. I will only add tracking if you do as well. Unfortunately I only have access to my cellphone camera so excuse the poor quality photos. I can take additional pictures if needed. PM me with any questions. Thanks!

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 27, 2014

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I think the value of these is pretty well set, but I'm pretty happy to have gotten this for $5 today at a garage sale.

For content: what should I be looking to spend for a common date 2 cent piece with good details? Ebay is all over the place.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Holy poo poo that's a good deal. I got started stacking this winter so I am super excited to go to tag sales this Spring/Summer.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Shere posted:

For content: what should I be looking to spend for a common date 2 cent piece with good details? Ebay is all over the place.

The price varies wildly with the grade, so what counts as a fair price varies wildly per coin.

Use this to estimate what condition the coin is in: http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/TwoCent/Grades

Then use a price guide or eBay history on certified coins to determine what the approximate price will be (knowing that coins usually sell below price guide values).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

On a visit to my parents last week, my dad gave me the foreign and oddity coins from his/his father's collection. Still sorting thru 'em (nothing's mounted), there's a weird bit of everything from 1937 swastika-festooned pfennigs to Missouri sales tax coins. Anyone need a whole roll of 1944 farthings, or parking tokens for various cities in Pennsylvania? :catstare:

Anyways, this guy's got me stumped:

A free Homestead, PA Chamber of Commerce parking token for the numisgoon who IDs this! :P

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On a visit to my parents last week, my dad gave me the foreign and oddity coins from his/his father's collection. Still sorting thru 'em (nothing's mounted), there's a weird bit of everything from 1937 swastika-festooned pfennigs to Missouri sales tax coins. Anyone need a whole roll of 1944 farthings, or parking tokens for various cities in Pennsylvania? :catstare:

Anyways, this guy's got me stumped:

A free Homestead, PA Chamber of Commerce parking token for the numisgoon who IDs this! :P

Netherlands 1 cent coin

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=7210

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thank you! :tipshat: (and I was serious on that offer; PM me with your address and I'll send you a coin for your collection if you're interested)

Edit: heck, while I'm scanning and slapping these up on Imgur, I'll put 'em here for y'all, too. Nothing too special, but maybe interesting for the coin enthusiasts itt.

Tokens:

Old school Francs/centimes:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thank you! :tipshat: (and I was serious on that offer; PM me with your address and I'll send you a coin for your collection if you're interested)

Edit: heck, while I'm scanning and slapping these up on Imgur, I'll put 'em here for y'all, too. Nothing too special, but maybe interesting for the coin enthusiasts itt.

As a Californian, I think that Los Angeles railway token is fun. A cool little piece of LA history.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

As a Californian, I think that Los Angeles railway token is fun. A cool little piece of LA history.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for transit tokens myself, so I love those. That's kinda how I actually came into this collection; I mentioned buying a Newport News token at the flea market, and my dad said "oh I have a bunch of old tokens and coins, lemme get those out of the basement for you". Score!

Here's the aforementioned German coins:

edit: crap, I know, I always forget to flip at least one coin in all these group pics

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I have a small Connecticut railroad token that is just collecting dust. First one to PM me their address can have it for free.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy James posted:

Here's one of my American coins. They just finished revising the eastern leg of the Bay Bridge last year. Here's the coin that commemorated its opening in 1936:

That, the san diego and the pan pacific coins are probably amongst my favorite US commems. That looks likes real nice one too.

• Locked thread