Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KoRMaK posted:

Just tell them to use chrome and change all IE shortcuts to launch Chrome.

Done!

"Why does my internet look different?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Renegret posted:

"Why does my internet look different?"
It's IE 11.1

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KoRMaK posted:

It's IE 11.1

I'm used to IE 5 can't you just make it work?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

GreenNight posted:

Have you tried to run the website in IE Compatibility Mode?
Doesn't even give me the option

nexxai posted:

It's an HTTPS site - have you checked the time/timezone? Can you see if the certificate is missing one of the certs in the chain?
I compared his certs to the ones on my workstation, he was missing 3 of the 5 certificates present for that issuing authority. I removed his, rebooted the PC, with no change, then imported the ones I exported from mine, rebooted, still no change. It's getting a good time/zone from the domain. He's not in today, so I'm doing all of this with my administrator account. Would it make a difference to do it from his login?

KoRMaK posted:

Just tell them to use chrome and change all IE shortcuts to launch Chrome.

Done!
I wish. That was my solution last week (but just for this site) and he didn't like it. Accounting department. :suicide:

Great Beer posted:

Is it just that site or is it all HTTPS sites? I had a machine that couldn't access HTTPS sites a while back and it ended up being due to a DLL file that hadn't registered properly.

I ended up copying all of the files listed at http://www.techsupportall.com/solved-cannot-access-secure-sites-https-websites-not-opening-view/ into a batch file and running that and it worked.

TBH I don't know if we've tried other HTTPS sites. This looks promising, doing it after I get some lunch.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 24, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Is it just that site or is it all HTTPS sites? I had a machine that couldn't access HTTPS sites a while back and it ended up being due to a DLL file that hadn't registered properly.

I ended up copying all of the files listed at http://www.techsupportall.com/solved-cannot-access-secure-sites-https-websites-not-opening-view/ into a batch file and running that and it worked.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27 posted:

CEO decided that our cell phone bill was too high and wants to replace almost everyone's work-provided smartphones with a $30 stipend. I managed to talk her into exempting me as well, but this isn't going to go over well with everyone else.

Well, this became official this morning. Going from 44 lines to 4. $30 stipend for smartphones, $20 for dumbphones.

What's worse is I work in mental health, so all our phones are for therapists and foster care workers. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with having to give their personal numbers to clients. Oh, but we let them take their number, so they're free to pay for a whole second line if they want. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow, gently caress that. Awesome way to make everyone hate the company.

I bet she will get millions for a bonus for "saving money".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

wa27 posted:

Well, this became official this morning. Going from 44 lines to 4. $30 stipend for smartphones, $20 for dumbphones.

What's worse is I work in mental health, so all our phones are for therapists and foster care workers. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with having to give their personal numbers to clients. Oh, but we let them take their number, so they're free to pay for a whole second line if they want. :suicide:

Wait, this is healthcare? Won't that cause legal issues when people are taking healthcare-related calls with possibly confidential information on their personal phones?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Wow, gently caress that. Awesome way to make everyone hate the company.

I bet she will get millions for a bonus for "saving money".

I presented an option to cut the bill by about 1/4 that involved an optional stipend where only a handful of people would need to take it, but this plan will cut the costs by 1/2 so of course we'll do that! Luckily it will be a very slow rollout (as people's contracts expire to avoid paying ETFs), so maybe they'll realize what a bad idea it is sooner rather than later.

President Ark posted:

Wait, this is healthcare? Won't that cause legal issues when people are taking healthcare-related calls with possibly confidential information on their personal phones?
Good point, I'll try to bring that up. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

.. not to mention putting the phone purchasing decisions in the hands of users will force you to start supporting every piece of poo poo phone you've never dreamed of having to deal with. What do you mean this Nokia Lumia 510 doesn't support BBM? welp, I'm stuck with it for two years now!

Edit : Disclaimer : I just pulled 2 products out of my rear end. I don't know if the Lumia 510 supports BBM or not.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 24, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also what do you do if someone leaves? Customers keep calling them? Gonna take their personal number back?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

President Ark posted:

Not to mention the obvious great idea it is to give your phone number to people who need mental health work. I don't know what kind of therapy your folks do, but this seems like a recipe for instant lawsuits when someone gets harassed by phone by some guy with paranoid schizophrenia.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jedi425 posted:

Not to mention the obvious great idea it is to give your phone number to people who need mental health work. I don't know what kind of therapy your folks do, but this seems like a recipe for instant lawsuits when someone gets harassed by phone by some guy with paranoid schizophrenia.

I mean it shouldn't even get to that point, why would people allow their personal number to be given to clients period?

And even if you're so goddamn spineless that you'd let this happen, at least get a drat Google Voice number and give them that.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

"Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" error for only a single site, only in IE, and only on this one computer, for all user accounts on that computer. I'm kindof at a loss on what else to do and am looking for suggestions. This is a new deployment of our Windows 7 base image and this is the only one having issues.

I have:
Reset IE too many times to count
Cleared the DNS resolver cache
Verified the HOSTS file isn't doing anything stupid
Safe Booted the machine
Downgraded IE9->IE8
Cleared the SSL state
Added the website to the Trusted Sites list
Run NSLookup on the site and tried to load it by IP.
Shut off everything non-MS in msconfig.
Compared GPEdit on affected and nonaffected machines to make sure there's no fuckery there.
Done a regedit search for the IP and website to make sure there's no fuckery there.

I can't for the life of me think what else to do other than reimage it, but since we don't have an MDT server at my site and our connection blows, I have to kidnap the workstation for the day and go down to the main office to image it. I'd like to avoid doing that if at all possible since I can't get any other work done. It's just loving weird. Doesn't matter who's logged into the machine, same error. Same user logs in on another machine, no problems. Website opens fine in Chrome and Firefox on the affected machine.

https://westonproject.net if that helps.

I can tell you what the problem most likely is.

Any time that you cannot get to a secure website, and ONLY a secure website, you need to follow Method 4 from this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

FireSight posted:

I can tell you what the problem most likely is.

Any time that you cannot get to a secure website, and ONLY a secure website, you need to follow Method 4 from this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444

Did this after lunch, still nothing. And it's only this specific website, I pulled up a dozen other https sites just fine. I'm just going to give him the option of keeping on using Chrome for this website and IE for everything else, or me kidnapping his machine the next time he's off during the week and reimaging it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in, nobody at the site that the Sr resubnetted can get onto the wireless

After finding the IP for the WAP which he didn't document, it took me a while to log in. From what I can tell, he logged in to change the management password and the password to connect to the wireless, but didn't update any DNS information on the switch itself. So if someone could connect, it wouldn't work.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

Did this after lunch, still nothing. And it's only this specific website, I pulled up a dozen other https sites just fine. I'm just going to give him the option of keeping on using Chrome for this website and IE for everything else, or me kidnapping his machine the next time he's off during the week and reimaging it.

Just a specific secure website, and it's only him? Ok, I'm stumped then. Usually when the secure website dll bug kicks in, people only NOTICE it on one page (because most people rarely visit secure websites).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

President Ark posted:

Note that this isn't actually a HIPAA violation.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

evol262 posted:

But does the HR person know that?

Probably :suicide:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

FireSight posted:

Just a specific secure website, and it's only him? Ok, I'm stumped then. Usually when the secure website dll bug kicks in, people only NOTICE it on one page (because most people rarely visit secure websites).

Yeah, it's weird as hell. And it's not just him, it's any user account on his workstation, so I can't just blow away his profile either. :(

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CommanderApaul posted:

Yeah, it's weird as hell. And it's not just him, it's any user account on his workstation, so I can't just blow away his profile either. :(

does he have a hosts file that breaks that domain only? Malware infestation?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

evol262 posted:

Wouldn't it be if someone left you a voicemail? Also, emails probably would be; even if the email service itself is encrypted, you could probably get dinged if your phone is unlocked and not able to be remotely wiped if it's stolen.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Yeah, it could easily become a HIPAA violation if you can't control what kinds of phones are used and what features are on the phone.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Oh, man, today has been serendipitous pain in the rear end. We've been waiting for a few months for our chance at jumping on a recently offered fiber internet connection. A few weeks ago, the techs finally go around to running our fiber lines and installing all our equipment, and the only thing preventing us from moving from 50/2.5 to a sweet 100/100 connection has been waiting on their business department to issue us an IP address.

Earlier today, our cable internet connection died when a building caught fire and partially collapsed on the lines a few blocks down the road. No time frame on when it will be back up and operational ("could be a few hours or a few days, depending on what's wrong"). Our entire operation, meanwhile, is now riding on a single lovely backup DSL connection. We are hobbling along and barely functioning.

Lo and behold, I get an email from the fiber people saying that they will be contacting me in about an hour with our IP information for the new connection :neckbeard:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ursine Asylum posted:

Wouldn't it be if someone left you a voicemail? Also, emails probably would be; even if the email service itself is encrypted, you could probably get dinged if your phone is unlocked and not able to be remotely wiped if it's stolen.

A voicemail probably isn't a violation (patients are free to share their information with whoever). Providers are generally not stupid enough to leave voicemails with identifying information even on business phones.

Email security is just as much a violation on their company-issued cellphones, basically. You're free to say "enroll in our MDM if you want work email, otherwise we'll give you a soft token and you can log into OWA".

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

CommanderApaul posted:

Check that SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 is checked in advanced options. Also that protected mode is turned off the zone the website is in. There's an issue with IE and sites that use TLS where protected mode rejects the cert if certain options aren't set in Apache. I really wish IE would give some indicator it did this rather than just doing it silently so the server throws 403.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"I think there's something wrong with my dev environment."

code:
$ gcc hworld.c
hworld.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

wa27 posted:

I presented an option to cut the bill by about 1/4 that involved an optional stipend where only a handful of people would need to take it, but this plan will cut the costs by 1/2 so of course we'll do that! Luckily it will be a very slow rollout (as people's contracts expire to avoid paying ETFs), so maybe they'll realize what a bad idea it is sooner rather than later.

Good point, I'll try to bring that up. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before.

"I don't have a phone. No, no cell phone. No land line. Sorry."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

sfwarlock posted:

"I think there's something wrong with my dev environment."

code:
$ gcc hworld.c
hworld.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.

Sr developer? Possibly brought in on a work visa?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

"I don't have a phone. No, no cell phone. No land line. Sorry."
This is basically what I said regarding email when I was told that the only option for getting mobile email in the company was to use a blackberry.

"Welp, then I'll be reading email between 9 and 5 when I'm in the office, and I'll take a real phone thanks."

e: We don't even have OWA. The only non-BB method to access email from outside the office is Outlook via citrix, which only works on company imaged laptops.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 25, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FireSight posted:

Oh god, only now do I discover this thread exists. So...

I used to be one of the 3 dudes doing tech support for Ubiquiti (I think there are 5 or 6 now), and also doing all the RMA intake and sorting. You have NO CLUE how many complaints we had over the airvision software, because of the lovely planning behind it. The software used to outright loose video because the software and firmware didn't interface properly. We had dozens of complaints from IT/security guys trying to find specific sections of video for theft investigations, and it just wasn't THERE. And we had to constantly make excuses, knowing full well that it wasn't a functional product, because instead of holding off on selling the drat thing and making apollogies and waiting for a fixed version, they just wrote it off and started working on a completely different design with a dedicated NVR machine instead of a NVR that could be installed on an existing computer.

As a note, unless they made any MAJOR changes to the NVR software that runs on a PC in the past 18 months, if you are running it on a PC, get rid of the entire loving system. Now. The legal headaches that will occur if it's used in a business and you suddenly NEED footage is just... argh.

This matches up quite nicely with my vision of how Ubiquiti operated. Fix glaring issues with hardware? gently caress it, new shiny thing to focus on.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Caged posted:

This matches up quite nicely with my vision of how Ubiquiti operated. Fix glaring issues with hardware? gently caress it, new shiny thing to focus on.

The real problem is that tech support, QA, RMA and sales have no say in anything. The company is "run by the engineers". We couldn't even make suggestions of things to add or of types of products that we see a lot of requests for. So when something is seriously broken, like the AirCam stuff? The engineers would rather scrap it entirely than fix it, because it would be easier and more interesting to build a new product than to fix the old one. It didn't help that the software guys were in San Jose while the hardware team were in Lithuania, and they not only didn't communicate well, they never ever LOOKED at existing security camera poo poo to see exactly what they needed it to do. The system worked on a small scale, even on large scale over a short period. The issues became apparent when we had customers emailing in with 10+ cameras connecting to one NVR, and had them running for more than a few weeks.

They basically came out as really good on the network side of things, decent on the access point side of things (the poo poo worked, and worked well, but it had documentation issues and features that were announced that the engineers PLANNED to add and... never did...), and pretty terrible on anything else.

And holy hell was the tech support/RMA team understaffed. The backlog of unanswered tickets was over 600 when I came onboard, and even answering 100-150 tickets a day, with one other dude doing email support and the third guy answering voicemails, we could NOT get the ticket queue under control, which meant that the RMA poo poo ended up being put into a massive pile that we would occasionally try to get rid of... but this meant that people could be waiting up to 2 months to get replacements shipped out.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sr developer? Possibly brought in on a work visa?

To be fair, if your dev environment is missing stdio.h, two things are pretty much guaranteed:
1. Your dev environment is hosed, and
2. Most devs aren't going to necessarily know how to deal with that, especially if you're in a company that doesn't give out local-admin access.

If I hit something like that on a machine I was deving on, my typical debug steps would be:
- Log onto a machine that has stdio.h, see where it's located by default
- Check that directory on my machine, see if it exists, and if a bunch of poo poo is missing
- Backup my homedir, wipe my machine, and find a better dev image to put on it

And I have to do my own build engineering, so I'm probably more OS-minded than a lot of Visual Studio-trained developers.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

NZAmoeba posted:

Nope!

:yotj:

I've been promoted to the Team Lead of Production. I've never had authority over other human beings before so I'm a little freaked out. They're gonna send me on some management courses so I can not be utterly hopeless though! It also means I have to move from a city I really love, Wellington, to a city I used to bag all the time, Auckland.

But career wise it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm also going to hire the new team we're creating up there.

Figure out the immigration process and start importing goons for a better life.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

To be fair, if your dev environment is missing stdio.h, two things are pretty much guaranteed:
1. Your dev environment is hosed, and
2. Most devs aren't going to necessarily know how to deal with that, especially if you're in a company that doesn't give out local-admin access.

Better!

Someone installed Linux on that machine, did a "which gcc", and called it good because gcc was already installed.

Except that it didn't work out of the box. I recreated using a livecd:

code:
mint@mint ~ $ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
mint@mint ~ $ cat > test.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main () { 
  return 0;
}
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
test.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
mint@mint ~ $ 
The cure was to install, not gcc, but g++:

code:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install gcc
  (snip)
gcc is already the newest version.
  (snip)
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
test.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install g++
  (snip)
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
mint@mint ~ $ ./a.out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
apt-get install build-essential

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

apt-get install build-essential

That works too. Probably because:

code:
(snip)
The following extra packages will be installed:
  dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.8 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libstdc++-4.8-dev
(snip)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

sfwarlock posted:

That works too. Probably because:

code:
(snip)
The following extra packages will be installed:
  dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.8 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libstdc++-4.8-dev
(snip)

Yeah it's a meta-package which I always use when I need to build software on a fresh system. :)
Saves a bunch of typing.

For Red Hat I use yum groupinstall "Development tools" but that one is more comprehensive, it includes things like bison, flex, m4 etc...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
e: wrong thread. I need a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

nitrogen posted:

e: wrong thread. I need a nap.

I missed the original post so I'm assuming it was about Gwar. We're all sad about it, there's no wrong thread to express that.

No tickets came in as I start week 13 of beating my head against the unemployment wall. I really must be doing something wrong.

• Locked thread