Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This was an amazing match, and it's the opener for an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yokozuna was seriously underrated. At least before his weight got ridiculous.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo, Men On A Mission! :neckbeard:

all American wrestling and WWF Mania were basically jobber shows, right?
Yeah, Mania was a recap show and All American was usually a mix of that week's matches from Superstars and Challenge, and maybe an exclusive match or two. If I remember right, it was the same matches from the syndicated shows, but with different commentary.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 24, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

HBK next week tomorrow! :neckbeard:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't know about you but I'm rooting for Brawler. He's a go-getter.

CHIIIIIIPS?!!?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Holy crap, Heenan is really laying it on thick here. :lol:

Kid wrestling fans are awesome! And I think Hughes is a dead man walking.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2014

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I love how long it takes Mr. Hughes to read Undertaker's card. Like, what else did he think it was going to be?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Alright, more MOM! RIP Mabel.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

David Arquette posing with a replica Big Gold Belt in the Summerslam 2012 crowd :laffo:

By the way, the few times I've read this thread I've seen people talking about something completely different than what was happening on my stream. I'm in Europe, and it looks like the streaming schedule adjusts what it's showing based on what my local time is. Since Europe isn't officially supported, the Network thinks the time is 7:20 PM Eastern when it's actually 7:20 PM GMT+2 and as a result I'm watching Summerslam 2012 on the stream.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

OH NO MAN posted:

David Arquette posing with a replica Big Gold Belt in the Summerslam 2012 crowd :laffo:

By the way, the few times I've read this thread I've seen people talking about something completely different than what was happening on my stream. I'm in Europe, and it looks like the streaming schedule adjusts what it's showing based on what my local time is. Since Europe isn't officially supported, the Network thinks the time is 7:20 PM Eastern when it's actually 7:20 PM GMT+2 and as a result I'm watching Summerslam 2012 on the stream.

UK here and my feed seems to synch up with the US, seeing as shows like RAW backstage pass and the first showings of WM Rewind etc seem to happen at the same time as everyone else. Maybe the times when people were talking about something you weren't seeing live were cases of people talking about things they were watching on demand? Summerslam 2012 is on now for me (and time is displayed as US eastern)

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

OH NO MAN posted:

... I'm watching Summerslam 2012 on the stream.

I'm in the Eastern US. That's what's playing here, too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Right, I was just getting confused then. I doubt it would even be technically possible for the stream to be showing different stuff for different time zones, but I figured something must be up because I was never seeing what the thread was talking about. :downs:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Jeez, Cena was big here, but it's glaring how much he didn't have the body type of Brock Samson yet.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Canada here and I'm watching what the Americans seem to be watching, we were talking about Rock/Cena I a page or two back which is what I was watching at the time.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

WCW did an event in North Korea? What? There was just an ad for it during Bash at the Beach '95.

quote:

Collision in Korea was the largest professional wrestling pay-per-view event ever that was jointly produced by World Championship Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling. ... The event was the first PPV from a North American wrestling promotion to be held in North Korea, and holds the current record for the largest attendance for a wrestling event with a total of 340,000 people in attendance.

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 24, 2014

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

RetroHelix posted:

WCW did an event in North Korea? What?

It was a Kim Jong Il production in collaboration with Antonio Inoki that WCW sent a few guys over for and filmed. It was two shows, each with attendance of over 100,000, and I'm sure some of those people went willingly.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

Well that's unfortunate.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
This may be the worst cage match I've ever seen.

Also, this may be one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

TL posted:

It was a Kim Jong Il production in collaboration with Antonio Inoki that WCW sent a few guys over for and filmed. It was two shows, each with attendance of over 100,000, and I'm sure some of those people went willingly.

I think Flair was the only WCW guy, there were more ECW guys there technically I think.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TL posted:

Yeah, Inoki had some crazy idea (and lord knows he's full of them) about peace in the region by having a wrestling show over there. WCW sent some people over there (Bischoff went) to work with Inoki's crew.

This was before Dubya's "Axis of Evil" speech which was where North Korea went batshit insane so back in the 90s they were still in a post-Soviet deep famine with Kim Jong Il trying to solidify his power after his dad died a year or two previous. So it was a surreal and bizarre idea (and not the first time a sporting event was held in a dictator's country) but it was not held while nukes were pointed at South Korea with Kim's finger on the button.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By the way, the NK show is really bad almost top to bottom, though there is a Japanese women's match that IIRC is the highlight of the show.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
You'd think Kim Jong-The Illest would've added some of those wild pageantry aspects to it that glorify the Bestest Korea and its glorious leader.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'd love to see the NK shows without all the fake crowd noise. It must be surreal to wrestle to a silent crowd of 100,000+

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

They showed the North Korea show? That must have been something.

TL posted:

This may be the worst cage match I've ever seen.

Also, this may be one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

You know what it needs? Foley sound effects, a dramatic soundtrack and Pamela Anderson going :ohdear:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nah the North Korea show isn't on the network. It's a New Japan show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I imagine Hogan made that face whenever someone told him he couldn't do something.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Aww, no one want's to go to Paul's house.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Flair had a story in his book about Muhammad Ali being there for that show, sitting around with his head drooped. Then he raised it, said "That's why we hate you fuckers" and lowered his head again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

See, it only takes attempted murder to turn Savage face.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh poo poo, that casket wasn't gimmicked? :ohdear:

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
The Warrior survived! He's okay people!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"You'll be okay if I fan you with these papers!"

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Watching Mick Foley's doc on the network now. Vader still looks great! Vader vs. Sting for Summerslam!

Vader: "I always said I didn't rip his ear off, it was the ropes, but then I saw this video where I rip his ear off..."

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 25, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

SO the Lex Express was a cross country tour to get Yokozouna to give him a title shot?

Edit: Who the gently caress was that?

Edit; How is that guy a real person and not something Vince just thought up? :psyduck:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 25, 2014

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
I don't know why Tiny Tim is on Monday Night Raw, but what the hell, you take what you can get for musical acts.

That was incredibly surreal. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about that segment?

BigRed0427 posted:

How is that guy a real person and not something Vince just thought up? :psyduck:

He was on Laugh-In a few times and his rendition of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is distinctly memorable. I do not know why Vince McMahon decided that he needed the guy on Raw.

sunsweet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 25, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

sunsweet posted:

I don't know why Tiny Tim is on Monday Night Raw, but what the hell, you take what you can get for musical acts.

That was incredibly surreal. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about that segment?

Even though I have the guy's wikipedia page pulled up, I refuse to believe that Tiny Tim wasn't just another dumb idea Vince came up with. It was Weird Al without any dignity.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

BigRed0427 posted:

Even though I have the guy's wikipedia page pulled up, I refuse to believe that Tiny Tim wasn't just another dumb idea Vince came up with. It was Weird Al without any dignity.

He's like the strangest one hit wonder that ever lived.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerry Lawler's house has a room full of Coca-Cola memorabilia and another room with a Gone With the Wind theme, and his fridge is full of all sorts of crap of dubious origin. I think the King might be a goon.

fake edit: Christmas lights in the bedroom :stonklol:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

OH NO MAN posted:

Jerry Lawler's house has a room full of Coca-Cola memorabilia and another room with a Gone With the Wind theme, and his fridge is full of all sorts of crap of dubious origin. I think the King might be a goon.

Reminder: Jerry Lawler owns a Batmobile

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

OH NO MAN posted:

His back-up career plan was "comic book artist."

• Locked thread