Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gullous posted:

I agree, I dialed it back after the first lap. I need more practice and endurance. Properly sized suspension would help too, I was rebounding pretty hard on some of the landings. I'm 215lbs and the previous owner weighed 180, sprung for trail riding.

It looked to me like you weren't using your throttle to lift your nose in the air. The nice thing w/ 4T bikes given their engine braking is that they tend to pitch nose down. I never got any good at hitting my rear brake in the air with a 2T bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

It looked to me like you weren't using your throttle to lift your nose in the air. The nice thing w/ 4T bikes given their engine braking is that they tend to pitch nose down. I never got any good at hitting my rear brake in the air with a 2T bike.

I need to practice using the rear brake to pitch down, I'm way to slow with it. But yeah, if you go nose low, you should be bouncing off the rev limiter trying to bring it back up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Accidentally killing the bike in the air and hoping you don't lawn dart isn't much fun. You guys should go out to the DOONZ and practice jumping. Probably the best place to practice being in the air with as minimal consequences possible.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

This all might be a bit of a foregone conclusion for most in this thread, but I found it and thought I'd post it for dissemination to the newbies.

http://www.seacoasttrailriders.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=38&Itemid=76

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. Even though I think I do most of these anyway seeing it and thinking about why you do it can't hurt, only help.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm feeling this one.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 24, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Video plz.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I watched Zool and friends ride yeterday. I didn't see his crash, but I got some random guy looping it out:

He walked away, eventually. The flagers were far away so I moved his bike. He reattached his exhaust, fender and kept riding the rest of the day.

Zool:

And the Pros:

Bar hump:

More

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 25, 2014

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Video plz.

Monster is going to call up with my pro contract any day now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbpIBAEr9_I

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

Brutal.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

If Monster falls through, maybe whoever makes Ibuprofen will be interested.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zool posted:

Goddamn.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wow, it didn't sound like you shut the throttle much off the jump. Did you seat bounce yourself accidentally or something?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Wow, it didn't sound like you shut the throttle much off the jump. Did you seat bounce yourself accidentally or something?

I must have, its an abrupt ramp so it really compresses the suspension. I ran out of revs real fast, probably should have shifted before the jump.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So sunday I went to my first race since May 5, 2013 where I broke my kneecap into many teeny pieces. They had a huge turnout. 82 folks in C250. I realized I had never kick started my bike (it has e-start), so after a few trials in the parking lot and nervousness about 82 people trying to get the hole shot, I decided not to compete for the start.

I chose to go after everyone else had, and in both motos I made my way from last to right dead nuts in the middle of the pack. I had great fun doing it too. The track was awesome, barely any rocks or roots.

The only video I can find is one of the man who very literally got last place, but you can see the woods and moto X track in the first 5 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wrX_5p0Gg

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Also, my knee really did not like me the days after the race. It's because of this I've decided to be a dumbass and race the longer, tougher, Spring Challenge on Sunday. I hope to not be such a spazz and bring my helmet cam this time.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

Also, my knee really did not like me the days after the race. It's because of this I've decided to be a dumbass and race the longer, tougher, Spring Challenge on Sunday. I hope to not be such a spazz and bring my helmet cam this time.

Racing counts as PT, right! Just don't crash.

The Desert 100 event is this weekend. I'm probably going to stick to the poker run on Saturday.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Not sure if this is the best thread or not but I have an XR400R with a Mikuni pumper and stage three hot cams that is giving me a hell of a time with starting. It's Street legal so these issues are especially annoying.

I've been able to start it cold OK but hot is hit or miss. It reeks of fuel on the pipe when it won't start. I clear it by holding the kill switch and the throttle wide open and giving it several kicks then repeat my process.

My process is only kick at TDC, full choke on first couple kicks then Choke off for a few more. I don't even touch throttle while kicking per the previous owners suggestion.

I plan to do a valve check this week now that it has left me stranded several miles from work or home. I walked it back from the gas station last week too.

I really don't want to give up on this thing because I love riding it. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it reeks of fuel try half choke, if you can.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

If it reeks of fuel try half choke, if you can.

I tried that as well though the choke is spring loaded and only likes to be fully on or off.

I was literally messing with it for 45 minutes after lunch. Near the end, the only sign of life would come immediately after I cleared the cylinder. A couple burps but no dice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Try holding the compression release (you have one of those, right?), kicking it quickly 3-4 times, then get it just past TDC and kick it smoothly and quickly through the range of motion. Don't stab at it, it should be a steady shove - you want to push firmly through the entire stroke to get the maximum amount of inertia into the motion. Try it with a little bit of throttle, every bike is a bit different on what it likes, and POs are all morons :v:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Try holding the compression release (you have one of those, right?), kicking it quickly 3-4 times, then get it just past TDC and kick it smoothly and quickly through the range of motion. Don't stab at it, it should be a steady shove - you want to push firmly through the entire stroke to get the maximum amount of inertia into the motion. Try it with a little bit of throttle, every bike is a bit different on what it likes, and POs are all morons :v:

No compression release. Removed when the cams were installed. I've thought about refitting it. I did get it running when I came back at 6 PM. Still had to clear it loving twice but once I got it running it rode home just fine. loving bike...

I've heard a valve adjustment is stupid easy. I'm going to try and do them ASAP.

I will totally try with a tiny bit of throttle next time it gives hell. Because why the hell not.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd refit the compression release and do the valves.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Did the problems occur after installing the cams and removing the compression release?

We rode the dunes this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKM86kDrT3w
We decided to take it easy and mess around at the dunes rather than ride in the Desert 100, but we mistakenly took the hard way up a ~2k foot mountain.

The final hillclimb was pretty intense, you have to cut sideways and zig-zag your way up until the hill flattened out.

Despite being braced, I crunched a radiator on the last hill climb.

GPS route map is cool:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2614502

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Forgot to mention I just bought this bike and the cams were done prior to purchase as well as the compression release removal. I've been looking on eBay for parts. I'll have to pick up a manual to see how it was originally set up.

What exactly is the compression release used for? Just assisting with starting by allowing piston movement without fighting compression?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous - I've used Myler's radiator repair many times. Give them a go.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Mylers is great, but ebay is looking cheaper in this case.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

XYLOPAGUS posted:

What exactly is the compression release used for? Just assisting with starting by allowing piston movement without fighting compression?
Yes. And I have a 600r that's the same way. Don't dare touch the throttle with it or I'm kicking for no reason. I've actually basically stopped riding it because of it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Did the valves yesterday. That was STUPID(ly) EASY. Didn't bother in checking if they were out of spec and just adjusted them. So far I'm 6 for 6! All one-kick starts and the thing doesn't want choke anymore.

Going to head to work on it every day I can this week.

Oh and I almost ran out of fuel again. Might have to find a bigger tank or at least fit up the speed sensor from my vapor cluster.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Did the valves yesterday. That was STUPID(ly) EASY. Didn't bother in checking if they were out of spec and just adjusted them. So far I'm 6 for 6! All one-kick starts and the thing doesn't want choke anymore.

Going to head to work on it every day I can this week.

Oh and I almost ran out of fuel again. Might have to find a bigger tank or at least fit up the speed sensor from my vapor cluster.

Been there done that. I hated the way my giant Clarke tank felt on the DRZ but that thing held like twice the stock capacity. It's hard to get great mileage when you're full throttle everywhere though it's totally worth it.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii
Hey guys, another WA rider checking in. I'm so happy that SA has a dirt thread! It's like thumpertalk, only with more punctuation and less name-calling/Obama-blaming. I'm in Kirkland, and mostly ride Tahuya in the winter, and add in Taneum and Capitol Forest once they're cleared up in the summer. Not a whole lot of track experience, but I definitely want to rectify that by checking out Straddleline sometime soon. Would love to go out and rip with some of you guys from the area.

I have an '05 200 EXC that I picked up about a year ago and have been having persistent issues with it since my 3rd ride on it. Sounded like a lean knock, so I tried going through the carb, putting in a new top end, getting the crank seal replaced, checking for air leaks, inspecting the reeds, sacrificing a goat to The Dark Lord, loving everything. I eventually gave up and gave it to a guy who rebuild race engines in his spare time up in Sultan, and he's checked all the electrical stuff out and a lot of the same stuff I did; equally stumped. So there's that, not sure what to do now.

But rider's gonn' ride, so I recently snagged an old 96 RM 250 from a buddy of mine (he now has a much saner KDX as a beginner bike).

Just needed a new kickstarter and a good carb cleaning/air screw adjustment, and it rips! That Moto Pro suspension is fantastic, and I'm actually having a hard time choosing which bike I like better. It's also got Applied Racing triple clamps, spark arrestor, and those awesome blingy excel rims. Perfect for a budget backup bike. I've got a few more odds and ends on the way: clutch lever, shifter, top end, and some shock bearings. It's my first bike with a linkage, and I've heard how fun those are. :v:

Anyways, my gf's stepdad just had an '88 Banshee restored, so we took our vintage equipment out to Tahuya on Sunday to see how they did. It was super busy, but that actually turned out quite lucky since I needed to go back to the truck to grab the tow rope and someone with a quad to help drag that sucker back, skip to the end for that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7O4Di2zkmk

Gullous posted:

We rode the dunes this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKM86kDrT3w
We decided to take it easy and mess around at the dunes rather than ride in the Desert 100, but we mistakenly took the hard way up a ~2k foot mountain.

The final hillclimb was pretty intense, you have to cut sideways and zig-zag your way up until the hill flattened out.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2614502

That looks so fun.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Awesome, more WA riders! I'm in Bothell with Spiffness/Zool and a few others in the general area. Zool and I have been trying to ride motocross lately, and more of us are up for trail riding as well.

Gold Star MX is the regional motocross series, with a race in Monroe this Sunday and a two day practice/race at Washougal on April 26/27. If Monroe gets rained out this week I'm down to ride trails, and you're more than welcomed to come battle for 3rd-to-last place on the track with us!

We went to the Mattawa area two weekends back, which was a blast. It's not much further than Tahuya with a refreshing change of terrain. My coworker clarified the location; we went to the Beverly Dunes and some goat trail up to the edge of Saddle Mountain. Apparently this is the ideal trail head:
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7735239,-119.884416,323m/data=!3m1!1e3

My coworker claims there is plenty of fun, but not overly technical, desert riding in this area. I'm eager to check it out sometime before Summer.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, lets dirt bike

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Gold Star MX is the regional motocross series, with a race in Monroe this Sunday

Oh yeah, I forgot that was this weekend. I'm going to try out a new race strategy where I don't ride over my head and hurt myself.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that was this weekend. I'm going to try out a new race strategy where I don't ride over my head and hurt myself.

A good plan!

According to EMXP's facebook, Sunday's race won't be impacted by the weather! If they're not running practice Saturday, I plan to head to the mini-monroe MX pit to get my bike sorted out.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii
I'd love to check out the track, not sure I'll be able to make it this weekend - we're getting ready to move (out of Kent to Kirkland, thank god). Would love to pick up at least one ride before the end of the month, but between work and packing it's gonna be tricky.

Is the Monroe track pretty easygoing for a complete track noob?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

PoopSok posted:

I'd love to check out the track, not sure I'll be able to make it this weekend - we're getting ready to move (out of Kent to Kirkland, thank god). Would love to pick up at least one ride before the end of the month, but between work and packing it's gonna be tricky.

I've only watched Monroe, but Zool has rode there. They have alternate lines for different skill levels; no do-or-die jumps. They've made changes this year to make it more noob-friendly, but I can't find any video showing the new stuff. I've seen people ride dual sports there and have fun, so I think you would enjoy it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PoopSok posted:

Yeah, it's pretty feature packed, so expect to get tired quickly, but nothing is that intense except for the two triples (which you don't have to go for).

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Race I participated in a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XPJuqNUWE

I've got a couple problems this season. First time on a modern four stroke for racing - the thing just doesn't start on the line.

Never have I ever come around less than 12th place in a NETRA event. I came around in 26th, then second lap in 25th. I could no longer handle the knee pain so I just pulled off.

Upon examining my laptimes, I was about 3 minutes off the leader pace on a 7 mile track, so I don't feel too bad. 3rd knee surgery is a week from Monday so I hope that can get me back into shape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

VTNewb posted:

Race I participated in a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XPJuqNUWE

I've got a couple problems this season. First time on a modern four stroke for racing - the thing just doesn't start on the line.

Never have I ever come around less than 12th place in a NETRA event. I came around in 26th, then second lap in 25th. I could no longer handle the knee pain so I just pulled off.

Upon examining my laptimes, I was about 3 minutes off the leader pace on a 7 mile track, so I don't feel too bad. 3rd knee surgery is a week from Monday so I hope that can get me back into shape!

That's an awesome video, looked like a ton of fun! Good luck with your knee surgery, hope it goes well