Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Imagine this think charging straight at you, hissing a spitting and ready to gently caress you the gently caress up:

Swans are big, nasty and extremely protective of their young. They can have a wingspan of up to 3 meters, and those wings can whip you like a mofo.

They've also got delicate, hollow bones and a long, easily grabbable neck. You're a primate who probably outweighs them by at least 1:5, most of that weight made up in dense muscle and heavy bone with highly developed and powerful grasping and pulling limbs.

The swan is all bluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LeJackal posted:

They've also got delicate, hollow bones and a long, easily grabbable neck. You're a primate who probably outweighs them by at least 1:5, most of that weight made up in dense muscle and heavy bone with highly developed and powerful grasping and pulling limbs.

The swan is all bluster.
Clearly this guy is a bird fighting expert, we know who to turn to when the cassowaries take over the world.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LeJackal posted:

The swan is all bluster.

:Insert fat goon joke here:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

hopterque posted:

Clearly this guy is a bird fighting expert, we know who to turn to when the cassowaries take over the world.

Cassowaries have a five-inch long talon on their giant, powerful feet and weigh nearly as much as we do. I'd suggest we ramp up our rear end-kicking game by bringing in our social skills (group tactics, highly sophisticated vocal communication) and tool using capabilities (pointy sticks, rocks, either hurled at high velocity) for those guys. Most critters have a hard time coping with troops of highly organized and well armed primates, just ask the sea mink. Or the eastern elk. Or the bluebuck. Or the atlas bear. Or the barbary lion. Or the honshu wolf. Or the formosan clouded leopard. Or the cape lion. Or the Caspian tiger.

Oh wait, you can't ask them anything. On account of them all being killed by a certain highly social tool-using bipedal ape.

Edit:

Solice Kirsk posted:

:Insert fat goon joke here:

A 300-pound fatty goon falling on 33-pound hollow-boned swan will end with a dead swan.

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Mar 24, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
More QEII: She was also an accomplished rider back in her day.

And still is.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Blistex posted:

More QEII: She was also an accomplished rider back in her day.

Riding that sort of lady saddle must suck , how do you even keep balance on that thing?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

LeJackal posted:

just ask the sea mink. Or the eastern elk. Or the bluebuck. Or the atlas bear. Or the barbary lion. Or the honshu wolf. Or the formosan clouded leopard. Or the cape lion. Or the Caspian tiger.

Or the Emu!

Oh, wait...

Major G.P.W. Meredith posted:

If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world...They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop.

Not even a machinegun allowed an army to equalize the capacity of violence so they were on par with an emu and its talons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edminster posted:

Not even a machinegun allowed an army to equalize the capacity of violence so they were on par with an emu and its talons.

On the other hand if they'd just stopped shooting and started whistling really loudly the emus would have all run round and round in a giant circle, bobbing up and down and looking really confused. They're not the smartest of animals.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
In a similar vein, the first thing to kill me in FarCry 3 was a cassowary. Those fuckers are no joke

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pigdog posted:

Riding that sort of lady saddle must suck , how do you even keep balance on that thing?

Kegel exercises.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kegel exercises.

and a strategically placed riding pommel.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TheBigAristotle posted:

In a similar vein, the first thing to kill me in FarCry 3 was a cassowary. Those fuckers are no joke

Just wait until you play FarCry 3: Blood Dragon and encounter cyborg Cassowaries.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

The swan is all bluster.

The swan doesn't have to be stronger as long as it wants to protect it's eggs more than you want to eat them.

Kind of like that goat that terrorized a town.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you encounter one of these angry fuckers on the golf course you play around.

They are fearless and the hissing and clicking noises they make will rattle your soul.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just wait until you play FarCry 3: Blood Dragon and encounter cyborg Cassowaries.

:aaaaa:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JoelJoel posted:

If you encounter one of these angry fuckers on the golf course you play around.

They are fearless and the hissing and clicking noises they make will rattle your soul.

It's because they're protected. If it were legal to kill geese, no goose in the world would go after someone wielding a 5-iron.

Animals *know*. I was out deer hunting once year, sitting down on a fallen tree, and I heard movement in the leaves behind me. I slowly turned around, and there was this fat doe walking towards me. She knew I was there, she made eye contact with me, and I knew exactly what she was thinking: "You have no antlerless stamp on your license, you can't shoot me, so get hosed and watch me forage." If I'd bought a doe stamp that year, no way she'd have acted that way.

Remove Canada geese from the Migratory Bird Act's protection, make it so that it's not illegal to club them to death with a sand wedge, and they'd surrender the "Terror of the Golf Course" title to the alligators in the water hazards.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Phanatic posted:

It's because they're protected. If it were legal to kill geese, no goose in the world would go after someone wielding a 5-iron.

Animals *know*. I was out deer hunting once year, sitting down on a fallen tree, and I heard movement in the leaves behind me. I slowly turned around, and there was this fat doe walking towards me. She knew I was there, she made eye contact with me, and I knew exactly what she was thinking: "You have no antlerless stamp on your license, you can't shoot me, so get hosed and watch me forage." If I'd bought a doe stamp that year, no way she'd have acted that way.

Remove Canada geese from the Migratory Bird Act's protection, make it so that it's not illegal to club them to death with a sand wedge, and they'd surrender the "Terror of the Golf Course" title to the alligators in the water hazards.

Thank you for this. I was unaware that Canada Geese consider Canadian Law when deciding how to protect their territory.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Yeah, um, it's one thing to believe that since the animals know from experience that acting aggressively towards humans does not result in the humans killing them, they have become more willing to display aggression towards humans - I think that's perfectly reasonable to expect - and quite another to think that a deer psychically understood the precise type of hunting license you purchased

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That would be because Phanatic is engaging in what people often refer to as a 'joke,' or 'hyperbole,' for rhetorical effect.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

That would be because Phanatic is engaging in what people often refer to as a 'joke,' or 'hyperbole,' for rhetorical effect.

Jokes? Not on MY internet!

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals
Just because geese are protected under the law, does not mean that they are above the law.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We'll miss you Dave.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Poor Dave Mitchell :(

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Poor Dave Mitchell :(

That's always so loving funny. Every single time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ariza posted:

That's always so loving funny. Every single time.

Sweet, we finally got the official stamp of approval. Go hog wild, everyone!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah, um, it's one thing to believe that since the animals know from experience that acting aggressively towards humans does not result in the humans killing them, they have become more willing to display aggression towards humans - I think that's perfectly reasonable to expect - and quite another to think that a deer psychically understood the precise type of hunting license you purchased

Pretty much, we get them migrating to UK in Autumn/Winter, they are not aggressive at all over here, mind I see them while cycling on canals and small water parks, unless it's a totally different goose

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I haven't seen this posted. By far one of the coolest images I have saved.

Not so cool? Here's another angle.

Gotta love BUFFs going below a flight deck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

InediblePenguin posted:

I think that's perfectly reasonable to expect - and quite another to think that a deer psychically understood the precise type of hunting license you purchased

Things deer know...

1. What manner of license you have (doe, fawn, buck).
2. The opening and closing days of each type of hunting season (rifle, bow, black powder).
3. The exact distance to stand next to a road so they cannot be shot at (300m)
4. When you've just packed up your rifle/bow.
5. How to stand directly between you and you buddy's deer-blind/stand.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

I haven't seen this posted. By far one of the coolest images I have saved.

Not so cool? Here's another angle.

Gotta love BUFFs going below a flight deck.

That is pretty awesome. Also reminds me of the crazy experiment in the 1960s, evaluating the C-130 for cargo delivery to aircraft carriers.

End result: you can do it, but probably not the best idea. They replaced it with a new plane half the size. But pretty badass accomplishment for the pilots that made a couple dozen landings that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The illegal killing and eating of annoying geese is becoming pretty common among people I know. They seem to really like to go after little kids and even the most hippyish of farmers isn't going to let that stand. Same thing with deer, which are so bad in places around here that they use loving swat snipers to thin out populations. Maryland needs to either rework it's game laws or start importing wolves and coyotes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

pigdog posted:

It is extremely hard and requires a surprising amount of strength. I knew a girl who rode that way and she tried to show me because I was curious and I couldn't manage it.

Speaking of horses.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Thank you for this. I was unaware that Canada Geese consider Canadian Law when deciding how to protect their territory.

After protecting their territory, they usually come over and apologize too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Salties are literal dinosaurs.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Welcome to Australia.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ignimbrite posted:

They would be insulted to be called dinosaurs. They're much older then those posers.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Ignimbrite posted:

Don't literal dinosaurs have their legs straight under their bodies?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

newreply.php posted:

Don't literal dinosaurs have their legs straight under their bodies?

Chickadees are literal dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Vultures, man. Vultures are literal dinosaurs.

• Locked thread