Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
go to the libary to pick up some supplememts with rules for aminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i actually play 2e and try to cannibalize the redeemable parts of the setting and system (more than people think on the former, less than what people think on the latter). the abyssal game i'm in is actually pretty decent and the players/GM are goons who are really good at what they do!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
what's 2.5e combat like anyway

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

also, which halloween monster does your abyssal character most closely resemble

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

also, which halloween monster does your abyssal character most closely resemble

Dio Brando

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My exalted dude is Mozgus, from Berzerk.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

what's 2.5e combat like anyway

i actually want to hear this. i assume ticks, flurries, onslaught penalties, etc make it take real long but how balanced or degenerate does it feel? since the final version of the 2.5 rules made things involve fewer perfects in general right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

well, perfects got hella nerfed and take more motes but iirc ticks take the same and the gameplay is still rocket tag (unless you have monstro soak) that means trying to economize dodge/parry charms and keep blasting the enemy. my guy is a thrown-based fighter who just flies around and does potshots from afar but he's not that good at combat since i'm one of the "party faces" who do diplo poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

like spaghetti and milk.

that is basically what fettuccine alfredo is tho

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Ferrinus posted:

i actually want to hear this. i assume ticks, flurries, onslaught penalties, etc make it take real long but how balanced or degenerate does it feel? since the final version of the 2.5 rules made things involve fewer perfects in general right

It actually doesn't have to take really long with a small number of participants because, with static defenses and soak being made a lot more relevant and perfects being expensive, it's typically more optimal to try and focus someone down with big attacks they must do something about than trying to ping them down. Most combat characters, PC and NPC, will either have high persistent dodge/parry where you need to use excellencies or perfect attacks to hit them or have a shitload of soak and health levels. Possibly both. This makes using flurries either really expensive or counterproductive. With the decrease in artifact armor cost, Superheavy Plate is a lot more common, and Hardness can easily get to the point where some characters need to increase base damage to make their attacks do anything.

Big fights can still be a pain, because everyone has so many options for their action and so many dice are being rolled. An automated die roller really, really helps though.

Probably the time when the core system degenerates most is during high-level play; At that point, characters are going to have (A) a mechanism for hitting virtually anyone for high damage and (B) a perfect defense. Unless the GM gets creative, a group of 5 characters can attrition down most boss fights by making the boss perfect until he or she runs out of motes, and if they cannot do this, they don't really have ways of winning the fight unless they can invoke the boss's flaw of invulnerability, and most of the flaws as-written are pretty bad in the sense that they don't come up a lot. A skilled GM can potentially get around it by making new flaws of invulnerability, giving bosses custom defenses that are very strong but not perfect, or countless other methods, but at that point you're straight up building custom content to mitigate the flaws of the core system.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wanna play a kung fu wizard

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

there's a good chance that the chargen rules will be owod tier and that there'll be goofy sex magick lying around in some supplememts somewhere

Are the supplements going to be actual splats you can elect not to use, or are they going to make the core book crippleware with information missing, White Wolf style

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
my favorite thing was DMs disallowing complete warrior or complete scoundrel and the like because those books made those non-casters actually almost playable

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

especially damning was disallowing tome of battle

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LSTB posted:

Are the supplements going to be actual splats you can elect not to use, or are they going to make the core book crippleware with information missing, White Wolf style

exalted has both; there are hardbacks which are essentially the corebooks for different game lines within the same setting (your Lunars, your DBs, etc) and also just regular supplements that'll contain new content that expands or outclasses existing material like d&d's insatiable hunger for feats

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

book of nine swords was hella trill

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

this troper posted:

my favorite thing was DMs disallowing complete warrior or complete scoundrel and the like because those books made those non-casters actually almost playable

I played in a 3.5 game where tome of battle and complete warrior were banned. I was a radiant servant of pelor with divine metamagic

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

I played in a 3.5 game where tome of battle and complete warrior were banned. I was a radiant servant of pelor with divine metamagic

this was usually the case.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

D&D is implied setting! *names ur gods 4 u*

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

LSTB posted:

D&D is implied setting! *names ur gods 4 u*

Implied, LSTB... or implode?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

this troper posted:

Look man not everyone can have as much fun as the wizard. Theres only so much fun to go around.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

LSTB posted:

supposedly the corebook has enough information to allow you to run all the other major exalted types as like broadly sketched npc antagonists etc. i DON'T expect "this faction is secretly controlled by this other faction that's only detailed to any degree in the next supplement" owodisms

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

was that a thing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

remember when the sabbath was divided between the black hand and the TRUE black hand

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i love having a thing and then the TRUE thing

Dec 26, 2012

this troper posted:

especially damning was disallowing tome of battle

yeah i kinda feel like if you care enough to dive headfirst into 3.5 splat horseshit but dont use tome of battle then you kinda suck

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

serioustalk i loved VtM and it was the rpg i played the most during my teen years but looking back holy poo poo the plot is retarded

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

i love having a thing and then the TRUE thing

I'm a true brujah

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

this troper posted:

I think it's legit hilarious that 90% of all Pathfinder errata is them nerfing what few things they give non-casters once they realize they accidentally let something effective slip by.

Dec 26, 2012

i was genuinely annoyed to hear they nerfed crane wing because i legitimately liked that feat chain, due to being actually useful. not sure what else got hit

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think it's legit hilarious that 90% of all Pathfinder errata is them nerfing what few things they give non-casters once they realize they accidentally let something effective slip by.

Well how else will a cleric be able to compete with a martial?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ferrinus posted:

supposedly the corebook has enough information to allow you to run all the other major exalted types as like broadly sketched npc antagonists etc. i DON'T expect "this faction is secretly controlled by this other faction that's only detailed to any degree in the next supplement" owodisms

Can you play as other Exalted in the core or are you stuck with the boring shitlords that are the Solar?

Only cool Exalted are Dragonblood and Alchemicals. Sidereals are at least Not-poo poo. The others belong in the trash.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Attorney at Funk posted:

Our high school game I was in ended at lvl 23, I was a RSOP plus some other poo poo I can't remember and with divine metamagic was able to cast a 24 hour long timestop.

good times.

I'm not digging out his sheet if I even have it anymore but I think my 2 epic feats were permanent aura spells from the book of exalted deeds and lolllllllllllllllll

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Ferrinus posted:

from all appearances, it will ship with functioning systems for both combat and social interaction, making it possible for the first time to actually play exalted rather than hypothesize about playing exalted
I'll believe this when I loving see it. Exalted has always been a hot mess. I don't know why people think this time is going to be any different.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

I'll believe this when I loving see it. Exalted has always been a hot mess. I don't know why people think this time is going to be any different.

"This guy is far more organized than what we gave credit for"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i don't know which system is more playable, exalted or big eyes small mouth

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

"Mike Mearls is far more organized than what we gave credit for"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my uni d&d 3.5 group bans the players handbook classes, so no wizard, cleric or druid (or fighter)

it's still poo poo but they're not willing to try 4e so i can't really hold it against them for trying to fix a broken system

(i don't play d&d with them tho, no gaming > bad gaming)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ungulateman posted:

my uni d&d 3.5 group bans the players handbook classes, so no wizard, cleric or druid (or fighter)

it's still poo poo but they're not willing to try 4e so i can't really hold it against them for trying to fix a broken system

(i don't play d&d with them tho, no gaming > bad gaming)

talk them into playing a good system for cool people like dungeon world instead of polishing a turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i don't play games ever since i moved to a lovely wasteland

• Locked thread