Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."

crime fighting hog posted:

Infinity bottles of beer on the wall, infinity bottles of beeeeeeer

WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Exrandu posted:

Some Void Engineer with a sense of humor.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Demons also get Pun Magic. One day I will write a character whose sole purpose is to irritate the rest of the party by making terrible puns a part of reality.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
The only thing I want to know with that is if you can do it your own puns or if it has to be someone else's?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
http://theonyxpath.com/the-shadow-and-the-asp/ new bloodline up for blood and smoke

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Exrandu posted:

Great Marco Polo too. "ARE YA READY KIDS?"

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Aaa, this has me sweating that the Khaibit revision was an open call submission and it's too late to submit something now and and and. Out of curiosity, did anyone in this thread submit material and hear anything back?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Johnnie5 posted:

Twoooooooooooo Biiiiiiiiiiiiiits!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I am an IRL toon.

With Devils Advocate you can also get people with the "rabbit season" style-trick from the same scene.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why the gently caress is Music From the Succubus Club selling for upwards of $60 online?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Same reason I'm convinced that in a year or two I can flip a QE Mage20 for twice initial cost. White Wolf fans can be loving insane. I should know.

Actually, I still have to pay out the nose sometime to buy those German-only supplements. They actually sound fairly interesting: Aachen by Night (cheap PDF available, yay) for VtDA, Frankfurt by Night (can't get a PDF), Vienna by Night (PDF available, and I've actually translated the first ~30 pages using google translate. Very rough and almost certainly losing some of the nuance, but sufficient for my purposes) and Trolls, Dreams and Deep Woods. It'll be really interesting to see that last one since it actually looks at German folklore and fairy myths in the Changeling framework and apparently deviated a great deal from the American version.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kellsterik posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone in this thread submit material and hear anything back?

Yes and no, in that order. I suspect this means they're not interested. :sigh:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

Aaa, this has me sweating that the Khaibit revision was an open call submission and it's too late to submit something now and and and. Out of curiosity, did anyone in this thread submit material and hear anything back?

No, it wasn't done for the open call.

Each developer has access to the submissions for the open call; when we've got a book that we think someone who submitted would be good for, we'll reach out to them. We can't give a flat "no" to any submission — what is wrong for one line/developer might be great for another. I know I've got three or four writers from the open call that I'm going to use for the next Apocalypse book, but haven't got in touch with them yet since the book is barely more than a pitch and a title at this point.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
That was good timing. A player in the B&S game I'm in just statted up a Khaibit this session after his Architect bought it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The bloodline writeup is disappointing not because the Devotions aren't cool (they are) (it's weird that a single Devotion lets you see into all forms of Twilight when the GMC corebook sets Twilight up as a "dozen ships passing in the night" potentially-infinite series of different wavelengths as opposed to a single universal insubstantiality state) but because the Devotions are necessarily cool because Obtenebration is no longer an actual Discipline because it remains true that joining a Bloodline that doesn't just straight-up give you a fourth in-clan Discipline is for chumps and losers.

If I was, in specific, a Khaibit fan I'd be very glad that becoming a Khaibit basically meant getting Vigor for free, since otherwise it would be dumb compared to becoming a Bruja or whatever. But we've still got a situation where not joining a bloodline is just dumb.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Khaibit background is cool, Obtenebration is cool, and hey, now let's give you some Devotions also. It just gets better.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Smoking Crow posted:

Why the gently caress is Music From the Succubus Club selling for upwards of $60 online?

Actually online, or Amazon pricing algorithm-online? Game prices tend to be a crapshoot because RPG collectors are tightwads and vendor fortunes have dropped so fast over the last decade that there's lots and lots of unused stock, though that doesn't apply to these direct sales only books. V20 recently sold on Ebay for $300 so there's that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Music From the Succubus Club is also a 14 year old label comp with RPG branding. There weren't that many copies made originally, and it hasn't been available new for over a decade.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Actually online, or Amazon pricing algorithm-online? Game prices tend to be a crapshoot because RPG collectors are tightwads and vendor fortunes have dropped so fast over the last decade that there's lots and lots of unused stock, though that doesn't apply to these direct sales only books. V20 recently sold on Ebay for $300 so there's that.

Yeah, this. I sold my RPG collection last year and had a mini-heart attack because someone priced Mirrors for a couple grand and I had been using it to split buds on. Tried to sell it for fifty bucks but no one bought it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Yeah, this. I sold my RPG collection last year and had a mini-heart attack because someone priced Mirrors for a couple grand and I had been using it to split buds on. Tried to sell it for fifty bucks but no one bought it.

I think the ready availability of PDFs has all but killed the old market for old books. Try getting the $70 you used to be able to get for Shadow Player's Guide, for example.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Most of the RPG books that are listed for $27,392.76 are actually available for much less, or from the original publisher, or POD from somewhere. I think the most legitimately expensive RPG book I've seen was Costikyan's Price of Freedom at over $600.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I think the ready availability of PDFs has all but killed the old market for old books. Try getting the $70 you used to be able to get for Shadow Player's Guide, for example.

Even before this you had deep discounters who would buy used games and after-90 day stock by *weight* for resale. I know they were hated for their downward pressure on pricing back in the middle of the last decade. I wonder if any of those guys are still around.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Music From the Succubus Club is also a 14 year old label comp with RPG branding. There weren't that many copies made originally, and it hasn't been available new for over a decade.

I thought the Mission track on that was hilarious. Oh Wayne, is there anything you won't do for attention?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I thought the Mission track on that was hilarious. Oh Wayne, is there anything you won't do for attention?

One of my favorite things about that guy is that the Sisters of Mercy's biggest song is basically just 10 minutes of highly literate ways of saying "gently caress Wayne Hussey".

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Halloween Jack posted:

Most of the RPG books that are listed for $27,392.76 are actually available for much less, or from the original publisher, or POD from somewhere. I think the most legitimately expensive RPG book I've seen was Costikyan's Price of Freedom at over $600.

I suddenly regret throwing this away last year.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pope Guilty posted:

There is nothing more maddening than the neo-grognards that poo poo on newer systems because they've 'devalued their investment ' of a book they bought when gas was under two dollars.

e: also RPS and flat-ten card draw in TYOOL 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gerund posted:

There is nothing more maddening than the neo-grognards that poo poo on newer systems because they've 'devalued their investment ' of a book they bought when gas was under two dollars.

e: also RPS and flat-ten card draw in TYOOL 2014

It was surprising that there wasn't more "My stack of Laws of the Night books from a decade and a half are being invalidated by the By Night Studios book!" crying. I guess that's just how loving good the BNS book is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PantsOptional posted:

I suddenly regret throwing this away last year.
Actually, I just managed to find a copy for sale for $55, so that's a goof on my part. Sorry for the derail, but I didn't want anyone banging their head on their desk.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's okay, I remembered what it was like when I read it and suddenly I stopped regretting tossing it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's really frustrating is the handful of assholes that saw one copy of the Players Guide to High Clans or Dark Ages Fae go for a hundred bucks six years ago so that's what it costs now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I remember being able to buy pretty much every WoD novel for something like five cents each off Amazon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

It was also pretty bad. Even around 2000, when I was in high school and pretty crazy about WoD, I thought it was cringe worthy. It's mostly synthy, early to mid 90's goth music.

Before DTRPG started releasing POD Mind's Eye Theater books, the Sabbat book would go for around $100 on eBay and Amazon. Now you can get it for $15 from DTRPG and it probably has substantially better print quality and binding. MET books would generally fall apart after a year or two of solid regular use too, even with the best treatment.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's mostly synthy, early to mid 90's goth music.

I don't see the problem. :confused:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Yeah, that came along just as I was getting into that sort of thing. And if you are into that sort of thing, back when they were putting out music still, Dancing Ferret had a great lineup. The record label in the between-chapter fiction in Laws of the Wild is a thinly veiled Dancing Ferret, also.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nobody appearing on that album was putting their very best tracks on it, y'know? But I was pleased to see Sunshine Blind.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

I always considered the soundtrack of Bloodlines to be more in line with Vampire, which is much harder. Then again, I was listening to Ministry and Tool while I was reading OWoD books. Ministry appears on that soundtrack for those that don't know. The Cruxshadows were also kind of a joke in my area too which didn't help how I felt about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 26, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I don't care what any of y'all say, the soundtrack to Clanbook: Malkavian is Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese. On repeat.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

moths posted:

What's really frustrating is the handful of assholes that saw one copy of the Players Guide to High Clans or Dark Ages Fae go for a hundred bucks six years ago so that's what it costs now.

Really? They're both PODable now and it's not like the originals were in colour or anything. The amount of stuff you can get in print now is a hell of a thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, that came along just as I was getting into that sort of thing. And if you are into that sort of thing, back when they were putting out music still, Dancing Ferret had a great lineup. The record label in the between-chapter fiction in Laws of the Wild is a thinly veiled Dancing Ferret, also.

Dancing/Digital Ferret changed their publishing branch's name to Isotank around 10 years ago, and they're still around. The tickets/promotion/brick & mortar store is still Digital Ferret, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Dancing/Digital Ferret changed their publishing branch's name to Isotank around 10 years ago, and they're still around. The tickets/promotion/brick & mortar store is still Digital Ferret, though.

As far as I'm aware Isotank is just an online store and not a label, which is the part that I miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
So hopefully this is the right place to ask this, but I'm trying to get my head around some of the WoD settings and keep coming up blanks on some of them. Can anyone give me a brief outline, or point me in the right direction, as to who/what the basis and conflict is for each setting? Feel free to just clip me upside the head instead though.

From what I gather so far:

Werewolf: Protecting against ecological destruction and the influence of Wyrm-tainted creatures.

Vampire: Kept a secret from humanity with the Masquerade, but no idea who/what the conflict is? Presumably you can easily slot human Hunters in, but what else?

Mummy: ?

Changeling: ?

Demon: ?

Geist: ???

Hunter: Pretty sure it's obvious to me - humans hunting the monsters.

Mage: ????

Promethean: ?

Wraith: ?

• Locked thread