Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

mirarant posted:

Whenever I ran a support mage pawn I never worried about debuffs because it's usually more efficient to just kill stuff at lower levels. I suppose a utilitarian inclination would increase the chances of your pawn casting debuffs but I'm not sure if the encampment vendor is selling those for you yet.

I just ran over there and he sure is. So I'm supposed to take the potions in reverse order, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I just ran over there and he sure is. So I'm supposed to take the potions in reverse order, right?

Can't really remember anymore, the OP has instructions about this which you've probably read already. Just make sure that you don't touch your d-pad after taking the inclination potions.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
I added a couple low level XBOX pawns to the list. They are kind of eccentric, so not a single person has hired either yet. Well I think 'Dad' looks pretty cool actually, but I guess being a man is an automatic disadvantage. The other one is what the name says...

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Crono S. Magnum posted:

First time you take an Inclination potion, said inclination becomes the secondary. Take another one when it is secondary, and it will be switched with the old primary.
Keep in mind that some Inclinations will tend to naturally overtake the ones you set as Secondary with potions, so keep an eye out on your pawn's Profile and go to a nearby Knowledge Chair to reset your Secondary Inclination to the one you desire: eg. my Sorcerer pawn has Utilitarian as Primary, Challenger as Secondary and Acquisitor as the next highest inclination, so after a while that I play (depending on how much loot I come across) Acquisitor will take over Challenger, forcing me to either take a Challenger potion to push back Acquisitor, or sit at a Knowledge Chair.

As for debuffs, the two I think are the most useful are Blearing (Mage/Sorcerer) and Lassitude(Sorcerer only), mainly because Silentium is very situational, Miasma helps but doesn't do all that much damage, and any enemy dangerous enough to warrant Petrifaction is immune to it. High Blearing and High Lassitude work on pretty much everything with one or two cast of it, but with all debuffs I think you'll need to teach your Pawn to use them, and even then they will tend to stick to damage spells if they don't have the Utilitarian inclination.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2014

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

radintorov posted:

... so after a while that I play (depending on how much loot I come across) Acquisitor will take over Challenger, forcing me to either take a Challenger potion to push back Acquisitor, or sit at a Knowledge Chair.

Unless things have changed a lot since the last time I played, your pawn is more likely to switch to Acquisitor if you pick up loot and open chests during battle. Mine never gained Acquisitor except when I was purposefully ignoring combat, which I was doing while trying to figure out why my pawns would not use bowfire at all.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

titties posted:

Unless things have changed a lot since the last time I played, your pawn is more likely to switch to Acquisitor if you pick up loot and open chests during battle.
Yes, that is indeed because I occasionally loot stuff while the game still considers me in combat. That and my pawn started with Aquisitor as its secondary inclination after I botched the initial questionnaire and didn't bother redoing everything up to that, so it doesn't take much to nudge it back up from tertiary inclination.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I finally remembered to add my pawn to the spreadsheet. Hope someone finds him useful.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Right now I have her rocking mostly de-buffs, anodyne, halidom and I think the advanced fireball thing but she never really seems to use the de-buffs. What inclination am I supposed to give her to get that stuff to stick?

My pawn currently uses Anodyne, Halidom, Blearing, Grapnel, Spellscreen and Thunder Affinity. Absolutely zero attack spells since I'm using Legion's Might to make him an immortal healer. I've got him set up as Medicant (heal arisen), Nexus (heal pawns) and Utilitarian (buff/debuff) in that order.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I have now double-platted this game. :stare:

Playing it as SwordGuy is definitely harder than going straight magic user, though it can be a lot more viscerally fun when things are actually capable of killing you just by virtue of being within range of their attacks. Plus, chopping evil eyes in half with Arc of Obliteration never gets old.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
I'm finding the Magick Archer pretty fun myself. Only just unlocked it after 3 or 4 levels as a Sorcerer and it's pretty amazing to target every single wolf forever with a single attack!

Edit: Added myself to the bottom of the Spreadsheet! Feel free to rent my pawn, guys.

Crono S. Magnum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 9, 2014

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Thundarr posted:

Playing it as SwordGuy is definitely harder than going straight magic user, though it can be a lot more viscerally fun when things are actually capable of killing you just by virtue of being within range of their attacks. Plus, chopping evil eyes in half with Arc of Obliteration never gets old.

Arc of Deliverance is a beautiful, beautiful attack. Massive, unwieldy and I'm sure it's pretty inefficient for its payoff but if that motherfucker catches the goat head on a Chimaera it's almost a guaranteed kill.

There's something super-satisfying about landing a good hit and watching multiple health bars dissolve as a result.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Enallyniv posted:

Arc of Deliverance is a beautiful, beautiful attack. Massive, unwieldy and I'm sure it's pretty inefficient for its payoff but if that motherfucker catches the goat head on a Chimaera it's almost a guaranteed kill.

There's something super-satisfying about landing a good hit and watching multiple health bars dissolve as a result.

The Arc of Deliverance allows Warriors to act like they're Sorcerers with their long charge up time and really tense moments where they're left open.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I was going to replay this soon anyway and my best mate started up again with a new guy and nudged me to do the same.

I never did import my original Dragma save, it should still be on the cloud. I was wondering if I'd be able to import it, then make a new character and get me my eternal ferrystone and such?

If not I suppose I could dig out my original Dogma disc and make a new character, then import them.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You'll have to delete your existing DA save from your hard drive manually but yes, that would work.

Awesome, thanks. Since the save would be overwritten anyway it makes no diff, thanks for the heads up.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 13, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

TehGherkin posted:

I never did import my original Dragma save, it should still be on the cloud. I was wondering if I'd be able to import it, then make a new character and get me my eternal ferrystone and such?

You'll have to delete your existing DA save from your hard drive manually but yes, that would work.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've considered it for a while and decided that this game has the most incredible, meta video game ending of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

No matter how many times you do it.

why yes this is a game, and clearly you are the only person with any choice, everyone else is pre-programmed. by the way now that you won and are God and done with this crap, your custom-created video game side kick, is now the only one with any choice. ad infinitum.

The ending is extra loopy since it acknowledges the lack of depth to that point, and actually tries to explain it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Speaking of the end game, does starting a new game+ have any effect on my progress on Bitterblack Isle? As awesome as it is killing the big monsters in the Everfall, the rest of the world is loving depressing. I'd like to see the sun again.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

Speaking of the end game, does starting a new game+ have any effect on my progress on Bitterblack Isle?

It's a full reset.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mailer posted:

It's a full reset.
Oh well.

Holy poo poo, Vortex Trail is hilarious. :lol:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Has there been any news about possible next gen sequels to this game?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
If I'm rolling as an Assassin, do I want a buff Conan two-hander guy or a healer mage as my main pawn?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cometa Rossa posted:

If I'm rolling as an Assassin, do I want a buff Conan two-hander guy or a healer mage as my main pawn?

It doesn't matter that much. You'll probably want to get a mage though, seeing as you can then decide what spells you want on your main support.

At some point you'll be tossing your pawns into the ocean to get the Autonomy buffs anyway.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So a silly question for someone completely ignorant on the main pawn's inclinations and all: He's a Mage. Gonna be doing magic casting with a staff as Sorc or Mage his whole time minus maybe a few levels to bolster his HP via cross-vocationing to up some stats at levelup. What would I want to stick on a Mage pawn to get him to... Uh, do well, I guess?

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
There's not much point to raising a mage pawn's hit points. Pawns do not take any extra damage on hard mode and ranged pawns avoid confrontation to the point that they are often rendered useless, by perpetually running away! Just stick him in sorcerer and leave it at that.

For inclinations, utilitarian is a good primary as it encourages the pawn to use their buffing spells, which will quickly become their only real contribution to the cause. Challenger as a secondary encourages pawns to confront stronger monsters rather than being preoccupied running away from small fry. Scather is usually recommended as a tertiary inclination--anything that encourages your pawn to attack and *do something* is welcome. Be warned that no matter what you set their inclination to, or how much monster knowledge you get for them, pawns participate in fights mostly as observers. So don't sweat it and remember that 99% of the rear end-kicking is all on you.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

heh

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That reminds me: someone posted a long time ago about how he had a pawn that grappled to a Chimera that fell off a cliff somewhere into the coast and it yelled "Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen" before vanishing. I still wish there was a video of that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

That is awesome.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I've started playing this again recently to finally check out the BBI content, loving it so far. I could really use some Rift Crystals, so if anyone wants to use my pawn that'd be great. A couple people might remember using some of my other pawns like Ser Gabriel and that, my 360 GT is still the same; IllGarrett. I've got a decent level 63 Ranger / Strider (but most of the time Ranger) called Imahlia with me these days. Helps out with the Garms quite a lot.

I've tried fighting the Gore Cyclops I found twice but each time I ran out of curatives and decided to just die, not wakestone, and call it a day. Brilliant though, worth every penny.

Also if anyone has pawns in the level 40-70 range that need using and are on 360 let me know. I mostly need support mages and fighters / warriors at the moment, I'm an assassin and my main pawn's a strider/ranger so we've got shooting arrows covered quite well, for now. I might go back to fighter or (lord forbid) even Warrior for a bit at some point, I loved Warrior as a class, two-shotting a cockatrice, one-shotting a cyclops, smashing groups of enemies back and forth with a giant mace and stuff, but having only 3 skills and little mobility sounds like suicide on BBI, even if it's fine in the Everfall.

Also, whoever Zangief's owner is, he's in my BBI gang at the moment. If any of you guys were the ones who sent me Heaven's Key thank you a ton, that was exactly what I needed right now; better daggers, and the holy enchant is icing on the cake.

Mad Dragon posted:

Enjoy your shiny new Heaven's Key.

edit: Is there any way to change the intro music back to the original?

Thanks so much mate, that is legit what I needed in my life, I can't wait to dragonforge those bad boys.

Vis-a-vis the intro music, as far as I'm aware there isn't, just put it on your harddrive or something so you can enjoy FLYING INTO FREEE-EEEEE. I, too, miss INTO THE CLOUDS AGAIN.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 4, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Enjoy your shiny new Heaven's Key.

edit: Is there any way to change the intro music back to the original?

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 4, 2014

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

I've started playing this again recently to finally check out the BBI content, loving it so far. I could really use some Rift Crystals, so if anyone wants to use my pawn that'd be great. A couple people might remember using some of my other pawns like Ser Gabriel and that, my 360 GT is still the same; IllGarrett. I've got a decent level 63 Ranger / Strider (but most of the time Ranger) called Imahlia with me these days. Helps out with the Garms quite a lot.

I used her with all my characters except the lowest leveled one (and I sent a friend request with that one). I have no idea how much RC you'll get for the random stuff I did, though.

EDIT: drat it, I nearly killed the online Ur Dragon with your pawn, but the last heart was too tough...

ChaoticGood fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 5, 2014

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I'm working on doing all the pre-planned quests for the trophy and I screwed up Quina's one by letting the flower wilt. Is that quest now impossible to complete? Will it reset after some days if I let it fail, or is there another way to get the flower back?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gabby_Jay posted:

I'm working on doing all the pre-planned quests for the trophy and I screwed up Quina's one by letting the flower wilt. Is that quest now impossible to complete? Will it reset after some days if I let it fail, or is there another way to get the flower back?

As far as I can tell from doing some searching, you're hosed. You can get another player to give you one and you should still be able to give that away for the quest though (you can make duplicates of it at the Black Cat too).

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

jonjonaug posted:

As far as I can tell from doing some searching, you're hosed. You can get another player to give you one and you should still be able to give that away for the quest though (you can make duplicates of it at the Black Cat too).

Aww hell. If anyone here has one they can spare and don't mind sending it, I'd be eternally grateful.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
If anyone's still playing, I'm really hurting for rift crystals for purification and would really appreciate it if someone hired my pawn. Name's Dephtrias on PSN. Pawn name is Xin, a lv81 sorceror with utilitarian and scather and geared towards wrecking poo poo up. Seriously.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

ChaoticGood posted:

I used her with all my characters except the lowest leveled one (and I sent a friend request with that one). I have no idea how much RC you'll get for the random stuff I did, though.

EDIT: drat it, I nearly killed the online Ur Dragon with your pawn, but the last heart was too tough...

Thanks man I appreciate it, I'm planning to hop on later tonight to get a few levels and such, I'll let you know how much I get. Maybe if I get enough levels you'll be able to nail that Ur next time :v:

Gabby_Jay posted:

Aww hell. If anyone here has one they can spare and don't mind sending it, I'd be eternally grateful.

What's the specific item name and are you on 360? If I have one, it's yours.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

TehGherkin posted:

What's the specific item name and are you on 360? If I have one, it's yours.
I'm on PS3, thanks for the offer though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
How early is that quest? I'm in the midst of the wyrm hunts so I might be able to grab it for you.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

kirbysuperstar posted:

How early is that quest? I'm in the midst of the wyrm hunts so I might be able to grab it for you.

Thanks, but it's not an issue anymore, I just looped the game again and powered straight towards that quest (it comes up after being allowed into the king's court). Having a nice net of warp crystals spread about the landscape meant it only took me a couple of hours to do the story quests and get back to the point I needed to be at. Got my platinum trophy and I can finally put the game to rest.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So that's what they're going on about.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I know I'm about two years late to the party because I just picked this up, but my Dragon's Dogma Moment so far is the time I killed a harpy by throwing another harpy at it

Having a blast with this game, if anyone still plays and wants to hire a level 17-and-growing hulking Gandalf-looking Mage motherfucker, my GT is Gulag Boy and my guy's name is Voss.

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Cometa Rossa posted:

I know I'm about two years late to the party because I just picked this up, but my Dragon's Dogma Moment so far is the time I killed a harpy by throwing another harpy at it

Having a blast with this game, if anyone still plays and wants to hire a level 17-and-growing hulking Gandalf-looking Mage motherfucker, my GT is Gulag Boy and my guy's name is Voss.

You may want to change him to something other than Acquisitor, but I hired him a couple of times.

• Locked thread