Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
You could spend hours on youtube though just clicking through stuff like "loserds" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwTyoi1eRQ and this lady getting infinity owned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbY0V3Yiwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol:

Judge Mathis was always more entertaining anyway.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In terms of sheer :effort: when it comes to court show knockoffs I have an odd respect for Street Court, which couldn't even bother putting together a set and an audience and instead just did cases literally standing on the street because gently caress it that poo poo costs money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6P2yTztjI

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Judge Judy is awesome. Every other courtroom show is garbage.

(But they do all exist seemingly solely to perpetuate the myth of the welfare queen.)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

gently caress the people, just start smashing their cameras.

Kanye West keeps doing this, and keeps getting sued.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I actually learn stuff from court shows: never tip if you are dissatisfied with the service in case you decide to sue them later, never pay in full before a contract is fulfilled, some states don't allow you to record conversations without the other party agreeing, documentation is the key when moving in/out of a house or when you are in a car accident. And never talk so much you argue your way out of a victory.

I reference these examples on a weekly basis, but am always rather embarrassed by the source.

And I always hated Judge Joe Brown. gently caress that guy.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I came here months ago and mentioned that I was finally going to watch Lost as I'd fallen out of it the first time around. I gotta say that watching it all these years later, knowing very few spoilers (somehow avoiding The Big spoiler) and reading along with the Lost megathread was awesome. I'd set up the DVD, watch an episode and then spend the next hour reading through everyone's comments and reactions to it. Glad threads like that exist, made the whole viewing experience (of an old show) so much better. So, yeah, thanks for that! Won't go into any more than that as per DON'T DISCUSS THE ENDING rules (Hurley rocks.)

Unrelatedly though, where'd the Mad Men thread go? New series is starting up soon and I'm surprised there's no hype on the board. Didn't even know it was due to start so soon (April 13th) until yesterday. I miss that show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I can't imagine ever getting "hyped" for Mad Men. Flippantly attuned, maybe.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So I hadn't seen Aimee Teagarden since FNL. She's unrecognizable, so weird.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I have fond nostalgia for The People's Court. When I was staying with my grandma in the summertime as a kid, we'd watch that a whole bunch, since Price is Right came on after it anyways. Part of the fun was debating with her which side had the more bullshit story. :unsmith:

Also when they replaced the judge, the new one kept reminding me of Jane Kaczmarek.

raditts posted:

We should have a thread about the different bizarre TV show trends over the years. The primetime game show boom following Millionaire in '99, the trashy talk show following Springer in the early '90s, the judge / jury show crazy of the mid-late 90s, those are just off the top of my head so I'm sure there are plenty more I'm not thinking of.

I could go for this.

E: To add to the thread suggestion, the "bloopers" specials of the late 90's/early 2000's. They weren't a regular thing but at one point you could count on one appearing every couple of months.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We should have a thread where we watch through the original The Mole series, especially for people who don't know what it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you care, 24 expires on 4/1 on Netflix streaming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AV Club did another one of their "Expert Witness" articles where they talk to someone about how things work behind the scenes on a TV show. This time they talk to Nicholas Lowry of Antiques Roadshow.

Its an interesting piece, talking about how and why something gets on the air.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

It's ok I'll just open a socket.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

zoux posted:

So you're saying I have to watch one season per day before it expires, then.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol:

Judge Mathis was always more entertaining anyway.

Yeah, I hated most daytime court shows but Judge Mathis was just such a funny dude that I couldn't help stopping to watch him when I'd be flipping through channels.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I just saw the trailer for "Super Duper Man". What are the chances of it being picked up by Fox? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCau4oo1FI

I'm thinking 90%, but it might get cancelled early because the special effects are just so good that it'll be too expensive to be produced.

precision posted:

We should have a thread where we watch through the original The Mole series, especially for people who don't know what it is.

I looked this up. It sounds like an adult version of Legends of the Hidden Temple. I'd be willing to watch it.

Kraps posted:

You could spend hours on youtube though just clicking through stuff like "loserds" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwTyoi1eRQ.

Perhaps she is making a portmanteau between their state of popularity and their reptilian appearance.

"Hey, did you see that creepy man with the gecko face?"
"You mean that loserd?"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's the best episode for me to introduce a friend to the greatest show on television, bob's burgers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From Season 1? The Caipoera one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm rather fond of Art Crawl, it's the first episode where everything seems to click in the right place for me. How can you go wrong with anuses?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm rather fond of Art Crawl, it's the first episode where everything seems to click in the right place for me. How can you go wrong with anuses?

Ah, you mean the Butthole One.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

hope and vaseline posted:

Haha, oh right. That one is fantastic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Cactus posted:

Good job no-one has epilepsy...

Anyway, what's Resurrection been like so far? Does it hold a candle to Les Revenants? Normally I'd assume no but there have been a number of US remakes in recent years that have held their own or surpassed their source material (mostly thinking Shameless here). Although, given the source material, I'm expecting a mawkish focus on religion to be brought to the foreground as many US shows have a tendency to do.

In case I'm not too late here, but Resurrection is based on a book by Jason Motts.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I would do Season 3's "Full Bars" - the Halloween episode, as an introductory episode.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shageletic posted:

In case I'm not too late here, but Resurrection is based on a book by Jason Motts.

So it is. I must have been confusing it with they came back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

I looked [The Mole] up. It sounds like an adult version of Legends of the Hidden Temple. I'd be willing to watch it.

All of season 1 is on YouTube, I highly suggest it. It's one of the most entertaining reality shows ever, and Anderson Cooper as host is just aces.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

precision posted:

All of season 1 is on YouTube, I highly suggest it. It's one of the most entertaining reality shows ever, and Anderson Cooper as host is just aces.

One of the few shows where the audience could "play at home". Season 2 I thought was just as good. Although the finale's "clue reveals" were very very :what:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daredevil shooting starts in July. How are we gonna handle that, one thread for all five shows or one for pre release and then individual threads for each shows on release?

quote:

In an interview with HitFix, Marvel Studios TV head Jeph Loeb got a little more specific. He confirmed that Daredevil will begin filming in July and that Jessica Jones will be next up, followed by Iron Fist and then Luke Cage before culminating in The Defenders. Jessica Jones already has a showrunner in Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight), and Daredevil will be created by Drew Goddard (The Cabin in

Loeb do not gently caress this up please.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Daredevil shooting starts in July. How are we gonna handle that, one thread for all five shows or one for pre release and then individual threads for each shows on release?

Loeb do not gently caress this up please.

Kind of weird that they announced when its going to start shooting before we know who is going to play Daredevil. Also funny that they're going to be making a show with Daredevil set in NYC when the character just moved to San Francisco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird that they announced when its going to start shooting before we know who is going to play Daredevil. Also funny that they're going to be making a show with Daredevil set in NYC when the character just moved to San Francisco.

Yeah, but I'm sure this is going to be DD origin and anyways, Daredevil is synonymous with Hell's Kitchen in the MCU. It would be weird if it wasn't set in NYC.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

Separate threads please, combo threads are the worst. They always become a jumbled, incoherent mess. It's not like this forum is overflowing with threads or anything anyway.

The other day I wanted to post a genius insight about Trophy Wife, but couldn't because it has a combo thread and I boycott those. Now that insight is lost to the world forever. Tragic.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Although the finale's "clue reveals" were very very :what:

"Play the entire episode backwards while standing on your head and dancing the Macarena and the Mole's mother's maiden name will pop up in the corner of the screen!"

Joramun fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 25, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Joramun posted:

The other day I wanted to post a genius insight about Trophy Wife, but couldn't because it has a combo thread and I boycott those. Now that insight is lost to the world forever. Tragic.

Why do they call it Trophy Wife when the real trophy is Bert?

Deep thoughts, people.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
HBO is entering True Detective into the Drama category at the Emmys, rather than Mini-series. Which is a pretty ballsy move that could turn out to be really, really dumb.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GraPar posted:

HBO is entering True Detective into the Drama category at the Emmys, rather than Mini-series. Which is a pretty ballsy move that could turn out to be really, really dumb.

So it's going up against Breaking Bad's last season then?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GraPar posted:

But it is a drama series?

Just because American Horror Story enters into the mini-series category (which, lets be honest, is the only way it would ever get nominated) doesn't mean True Detective should as well.

Also, it's not that ballsy and will probably pay-off, unless they want to reward Mad Men for both parts of its final season.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Guessing it'll now come down to Breaking Bad vs. True Detective in pretty much all those categories, which should be pretty interesting. Although McConnaughey is pretty much a lock for Best Actor just because Emmy voters really love Hollywood actors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, but man Cranston's performance was sickkkk.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

So it's going up against Breaking Bad's last season then?

And Mad Men's.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Joramun posted:

And Mad Men's.

Not really. Mad Men's final season won't have ended until the 2016 Emmy's, right?

And hasn't Breaking Bad already had it's final Emmy chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GraPar posted:

Guessing it'll now come down to Breaking Bad vs. True Detective in pretty much all those categories, which should be pretty interesting. Although McConnaughey is pretty much a lock for Best Actor just because Emmy voters really love Hollywood actors.

Cranston was so good he became a Hollywood actor.

• Locked thread