Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's manuverable compared to the F-4 Phantom (IROC Camaro of fighters) but the game has changed significantly since then.

Most people don't really consider that "air-to-air."

Was the helicopter on the ground? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's manuverable compared to the F-4 Phantom (IROC Camaro of fighters) but the game has changed significantly since then.

Those people drive F-16s.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I guess, but I guarantee if a pointy-nosed jet had done it, they'd tout it as an air-to-air gun kill.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anytime an actual jet takes down a helicopter it's more of a seal clubbing than actual combat. The Atolls on Hinds and the Stingers on Apaches are wishful thinking more than anything else.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anytime an actual jet takes down a helicopter it's more of a seal clubbing than actual combat. The Atolls on Hinds and the Stingers on Apaches are wishful thinking more than anything else.

Wasn't there an exercise in the 70s that ended up with the Air Force recommending that fighters just try to avoid engaging low-flying helicopters at all?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I thought those were intended for use against other helicopters, not fixed wing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought those were intended for use against other helicopters, not fixed wing.

Technically you can use them against fixed wing but I doubt that there's any actual examples of combat kills involving helicopter armament against fixed wing unless you look at Iran-Iraq war, and to be honest a lot of those kills are sketchy/unconfirmed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vatek posted:

Was the helicopter on the ground? :colbert:

Nope in flight. The maverick wouldn't lock on so he blasted it with that big rear end cannon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hole Wolf posted:

Wasn't there an exercise in the 70s that ended up with the Air Force recommending that fighters just try to avoid engaging low-flying helicopters at all?

Yes, but radars are much better now for longer range engagements and look-down, and apparently the helicopters were doing a lot of camping in valleys waiting for jets they knew were coming. If they were out on real missions not waiting for some jet to roll in, they might not have done so well. I've watched a lot of force on force with jets and helicopters, and the jets pretty much dominate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

jaegerx posted:

Nope in flight. The maverick wouldn't lock on so he blasted it with that big rear end cannon.

And that's why the USAF holds the patent on helicopter puree.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

It also doesn't detail any air-to-air radar/missile details, so I'm inclined to read into that fact. Yes, it'll die.

Yuuuuuuup.

mlmp08 posted:

I guess, but I guarantee if a pointy-nosed jet had done it, they'd tout it as an air-to-air gun kill.

If the Mud Hen gets to claim the world's only GBU-10 air to air kill, the A-10 gets an air to air gun kill.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I still want to see a chart comparing the energy-maneuver curves of a Mi-24 and a F-16.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What is the EF-111A kill considered? Maneuvering? Is that even official? "Opponent sucked and crashed" IT STILL COUNTS

EF-111As rule(d), much like the EA-6B.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They absolutely got credit for that. "They tried to kill us, and died trying. We're still alive."
If anything, flying so well that an opponent was unable to help killing himself is the most baller way to claim an air-to-air victory.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I still want to see a chart comparing the energy-maneuver curves of a Mi-24 and a F-16.

That reminds me. IIRC, the F-16 that shot down the Iranian UAV over Iraq tried to use guns and failed miserably, forcing him to switch to an AIM-9.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was just sad when I read the details that it wasn't something extra cool like they blasted them with EMF and caused their systems to go haywire or hacked their altimeter like the assholes in Die Hard 2 did.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

priznat posted:

I was just sad when I read the details that it wasn't something extra cool like they blasted them with EMF and caused their systems to go haywire or hacked their altimeter like the assholes in Die Hard 2 did.

Cause of crash: Gave us the Raspberry

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cause of crash: Gave us the Raspberry

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

If anything, flying so well that an opponent was unable to help killing himself is the most baller way to claim an air-to-air victory.

It is best to win without fighting

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

That reminds me. IIRC, the F-16 that shot down the Iranian UAV over Iraq tried to use guns and failed miserably, forcing him to switch to an AIM-9.

You're military, right? The report into that incident is pretty interesting.

priznat posted:

Altimeter problems?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 22, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You're military, right? The report into that incident is pretty interesting.

I am, and I remember that incident having hilarious unintended consequences in real time while I was downrange.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not as much as landing a GBU on a rotary

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

"Opponent sucked and crashed" IT STILL COUNTS
Maneuver kills have counted since WW1

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maneuver kills have counted since WW1

...and in WW1 "maneuver" kills often included things like your opponent's totally inadequate oil system deciding to give up the ghost during a dogfight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

...and in WW1 "maneuver" kills often included things like your opponent's totally inadequate oil system deciding to give up the ghost during a dogfight.

"Well if he hadn't been coming after me his engine wouldn't have seized up, now would it?" :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

"Well if he hadn't been coming after me his engine wouldn't have seized up, now would it?" :colbert:
Yeah. That's the risk. As I mentioned, "he tried to kill me, he's dead now, I'm still alive" is all that really has to be said. No one really plays the knight-of-the-air fantasy anymore. Pilots kill and survive because they were cued by their controllers a few seconds earlier, or because they had a little more gas for afterburners left in the tanks, or because their wingman "kills this guy before he can take a shot at me".

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 23, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That is a great article.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Got some OK shots of the Blue Angels today. First air show since sequestration.

Need to dig through the rest to see what else came out.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

jaegerx posted:

That is a great article.
A quick Google search found at least part of the picture described in the article:

This is both amazing and terrifying, what an incredible picture :stare:

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

That's one stealthy airplane!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mortabis posted:

Heh, it's not that good in the rain.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Plinkey posted:

Got some OK shots of the Blue Angels today. First air show since sequestration.

Nope, that was El Centro. :smug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There was also this super cool (to me at least) P4Y-2 Privateer survivor on static display:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

Nope, that was El Centro. :smug:

:argh: NBC Nightly News failed me

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mortabis posted:

My father took me to this airshow at Langley AFB in the late 80s not too long after the F-117 had been declassified. The plane never made it to the airshow due to 'unforeseen circumstances,' but there was an spot in the static display area that was gated off by those metal fence sections.

The joke was that the F-117 *was* there...it was just too stealthy to be seen.

Other fun from that day - goading some Oceana F-14 and Langley F-15 pilots via questions I already knew the answer to into getting into a pissing contest which resulted in them inadvertently teaching an eight year old some fun new words. Organizer's fault for putting them so close together, I guess.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 25, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/wonder-womans-invisible-plane

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, you hear about US military personnel getting poo poo on, but no one really ever poo poo on their own soldiers (at least in the Western world) better than the Brits: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/0/20105140

Follow-up: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-17364359

The best thing? There's an existing precedent for compensating those injured in UK unconventional weapons tests, but they still told the above to gently caress off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Maddison#Second_inquest

I guess the life lesson to learn is that if you're forced to take part in unsafe testing under orders, have the good decency to die as a result of it. It's just neater for all involved.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there also a case where a Gurkha recipient of the VC was unable to enter the UK (or receive a UK pension, I can't remember which) a couple years back because he wasn't a UK citizen?