Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Troll Bridgington posted:

Did the Indian ocean try to rape the plane?

Plape. But seriously, the press has to run out of steam eventually. How will Malaysian Airlines recover from this? Their stock is like 0.20 cents now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Herv posted:

From a friend that flies for NorthWest:
Yeah okay, but:

quote:

In fact, a 2009 report from the Airplane Owners and Pilots Association said even newer ELTs successfully activate only about 82 percent of the time. The original generation of ELTs, which came out in 1973, had an activation rate of 25 percent, but that has improved over the decades.
"If the airplane had crashed on land and survived the impact, then there’s a probability that the actual ELT would still be working," former National Transportation Safety Board investigator Greg Feith said on TODAY on Saturday. "But when it goes into the water, it’s a whole different story."
"You won’t get that signal above water, over the top of the water, using an airplane trying to find a signal,” Feith told TODAY.

So, big ocean + sunken plane = good loving luck.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

back in the day they made planes that would float so you could land in the ocean, but then they went away for some reaosn. I'm thinking it was so the airlines can save money when plane crashes are all swallowed by the watery abyss and they don't have to pay anyone's medical bills. on land a crashing plane just explodes into flames straight away, but that wouldn't work in the ocean so the airline industry has to disappear their accidents by some other method.

that's my theory anyway

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It works for garbage disposal companies.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Yeah, water is pretty much opaque to radio, so really any radio beacon is useless, even if it's waterproofed or whatever. That's why the black boxes have sound emitters, but those obviously have limited range.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

on land a crashing plane just explodes into flames straight away, but that wouldn't work in the ocean so the airline industry has to disappear their accidents by some other method.

if i recall correctly, they 'recently' changed the formula of jet fuel so it's more gel-like than a liquid, so it doesn't splash all over the place in case of a crash (assuming the pilots dump it).
richard branson just invented jet fuel with half the carbon emission; who knows what that crazy billionare will get into next?

hopefully withing our lifetimes our generous feudal capitalist lords will give us the non-crashing plane.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The likely scenario is that there was an on board fire, the pilots turned the plane southwest to head back to Malaysia, and then the pilots became incapacitated and the plane just kept flying on
Still waiting for the tv dingbats to exhaust all other possibilities before they arrive at the obvious conclusion.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

omgmofohomolol posted:

if i recall correctly, they 'recently' changed the formula of jet fuel so it's more gel-like than a liquid, so it doesn't splash all over the place in case of a crash (assuming the pilots dump it).

That's indeed the case, the formula was tested by NASA when they crashed a 720 in the 80s. It didn't really work then (took an hour for them to put out the flames) but it worked pretty well when Discovery crashed a 727 into Mexico in 2012. So well in fact that even with the entire cockpit sheared off the engines were still running fine until they killed it with some water from a fire truck into the intake.

Zogo posted:

How much damage would be done compared to that of a nuclear power plant meltdown as recently happened in Japan?

I have to wonder how long a plane could fly with nuclear power without making a pit stop.

Nuclear jets were so risky that even the Russians didn't bother with them. Nuclear rockets (NERVA) on the other hand were pretty dang viable and the only reason why there wasn't manned Mars missions in the 80s is Nixon didn't want to pay for it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Herv posted:

Watched news of the Malaysia Air disappearance .... Has anyone considered the ELT's being activated?

Nah... I'm sure all the agencies and airlines ever look at are the things that are talked about on TV and nothing else, that's the only logical conclusion. They couldn't possibly follow some kind of protocol and look at the most obvious things first.

So I was wondering about this: In GTA San Andreas, it's possible to just exit the jet plane in flight. Is that possibly what happened?

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

flavor posted:

So I was wondering about this: In GTA San Andreas, it's possible to just exit the jet plane in flight. Is that possibly what happened?

Quick autopilot + not approx. 50-200 people on board to pry you off the door? ? ?

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.
777s have doors that open by pivoting out and towards the nose of the plane. So even if you somehow don't have the differential pressure between the cabin and the outside of the plane sealing the door shut, I doubt anyone would have the strength required to open the door and DB Cooper their way off the plane.

Prof.Snugglesworth fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 25, 2014

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Party Plane Jones posted:

...the 80s...
...in 2012...

I don't want to be flippant , or "SJW" as the kids say, 'cause I'm totally ignorant: but after reading a little about it do airlines really only have "crash-test dummy" tests every two decades or so? If true, if cars apparently have to go through them every year I'll be hoping for a new Ralph Nader Unsafe at Any Speed for our futuristic age.

ETA: hopefully not the actual Nader because that guy's a dick.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

Herv posted:

If the transponder is under deep enough water you have to be directly on top of it to receive anything, deeper still and you may only get it by boat or sub. It only lasts for a month from what I remember.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

omgmofohomolol posted:

richard branson just invented jet fuel with half the carbon emission; who knows what that crazy billionare will get into next?

Maybe he will find the plane!

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

FADEtoBLACK posted:

If the transponder is under deep enough water you have to be directly on top of it to receive anything, deeper still and you may only get it by boat or sub. It only lasts for a month from what I remember.

Sometimes it's 45+ days, really depends on the circumstances. Given how loving dumb this whole situation has been, I'd say it's already dead or has been eaten by a whale.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
This was a warning from Branson. switch to my new super fuel...or else

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
was Kareem Abdul Jabar flying the airplane ? if he was i hope they didn't serve the fish

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's an entirely different kind of flying altogether.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Its an entirely different kind of flying.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Elphiem posted:

The biggest mystery is why they went to the southern Indian ocean. What was the motive in going there?

Maybe they were looking for that secret island in Dazed and Confused and kept going: http://imgur.com/zcnZGHt,ohhxe80,P6YhV5W#2

Because there is no other drat reason to go there. It doesn't matter how nutty a hijacker is, they just wouldn't head there.
I was curious about what secret island you meant so I found a neat comparison.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

mstrkrft posted:

Sometimes it's 45+ days, really depends on the circumstances. Given how loving dumb this whole situation has been, I'd say it's already dead or has been eaten by a whale.

I figure an electric eel probably fried the memory chips in the depths of the ocean.

Mmm....deep fried memory chips... *drool*

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

One of the many pathetic things about this is that even if the black/orange box is found, there will only be the last two hours of voice communication because the system only keeps the last the hours of voice data. I.e. the fights between pilot and co-pilot and other interesting stuff is all deleted. I wonder if our civilization will some day advance to a point where we can record more than two hours of voice data.

Also a pretty loving good point on previous page about the Formula 1, the GP of Kuala Lumpur is next weekend so they wanted to close this poo poo and move on stuff that's more fun and alive.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bolivar posted:

I wonder if our civilization will some day advance to a point where we can record more than two hours of voice data.

Pretty sure the NSA has solved this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Herv posted:

Your friend is a moron! When you say, "flies for NorthWest" do you mean Kim and Kanye's kid?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herv posted:

Nah dude they totally haven't tried to see if the locator thing that activates on a crash got activated. Wicked sick idea.

Could you tell me what route he flies, by the way?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My friend's an astronaut, and he brought up a GREAT idea last night - have they considered looking for pieces of metal? Apparently when things crash they make a lot of those.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland posted:

Like the history channel would spend money on this.

They'll have alien guy talk for an hour or two and just film a boat in a lake pretending it is the Indian ocean.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the news this morning mentioned that the black box the plane would have only 2 more weeks of batter power left.

they use volatile memory in the black boxes???

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
The anger at Malaysia is unfair and frankly smells a bit racist. They were as unprepared for a major and complicated disaster as most countries would be, and they weren't in control of the data sources which appear to have solved the mystery. They did the right thing with the SMS to the relatives even though everyone including the media is keen to feed that into the bumbling Southeast Asian bureaucrats narrative. It was pretty disappointing that ABC Australia did that on their front page without bothering to mention that the officials did face to face and telephone briefings with all of the relatives they could contact before sending the SMS out. There are about 1000 relatives.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ If this was Lufthansa or United airlines the media would be singing a totally different (non racist) tune.

FogHelmut posted:

the news this morning mentioned that the black box the plane would have only 2 more weeks of batter power left.

Nope, the Air France black box was retrieved 2 years after the crash and they were able to get all the data off it. (flight data, cockpit recordings, etc.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't just be mocking general 3rd world incompetence, gotta be racism. What race are Malaysians, anyway? Chinese, or Japanese?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FogHelmut posted:

They meant for the distress beacon.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
What incompetence are you referring to?

Not even Inmarsat had thought of this method of locating the plane before a few days ago.

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 25, 2014

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sinjang posted:

The anger at Malaysia is unfair and frankly smells a bit racist.

Go cry about it to someone who cares, bitch.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Blistex posted:

/\ If this was Lufthansa or United airlines the media would be singing a totally different (non racist) tune.

I'm not so certain everyone would be so keen to pounce on the fact that they'd sent a "no survivors" message by SMS (disregarding the fact that it was absolutely the responsible thing to do) if the narrative of Malaysian incompetence hadn't been pursued so doggedly over the last two weeks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fallom posted:

Can't just be mocking general 3rd world incompetence, gotta be racism. What race are Malaysians, anyway? Chinese, or Japanese?

Malay is a race. What the gently caress, that's why it's called MALAYsia

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gotta love the media circus. It's been a loving shamble since the get-go.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

So is that Chinese? Or Japanese?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Its why it was called Malaya.. the Malaysia is because Singapore became part of the country... and then left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

omgmofohomolol posted:

I don't want to be flippant , or "SJW" as the kids say, 'cause I'm totally ignorant: but after reading a little about it do airlines really only have "crash-test dummy" tests every two decades or so? If true, if cars apparently have to go through them every year I'll be hoping for a new Ralph Nader Unsafe at Any Speed for our futuristic age.

ETA: hopefully not the actual Nader because that guy's a dick.

No airlines do crash-test dummy tests with actual airplanes, they usually just do mockups of cabin sections with dummies to measure g-forces. You could probably do it now that some airframes aren't worth poo poo (the going rate for a MD-80 airframe that Allegiant pays is apparently $4 mil) but the ones used for testing so far are usually planes already out of service or years and years old. It's pretty expensive and takes years to setup and additional years to study the data.

If anybody is actually positioned to attempt it regularly it's probably AMARC but they already have plenty of crash data on most of their planes (especially the C-5, hah) and the civilian planes (or nearest equivalent) they have are probably the 707 bed, which is pretty much 50 years old.

• Locked thread