Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Eddie Izzard!
Or Garry Glitter...

drat, that's kind of prescient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was at the mall today and saw an ad for Noah, a Darren Aronofsky epic starring Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins that's going to come out this March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmj5mhDwJQ

Unsurprisingly, it's going to take a lot of liberties with the Biblical account, so we will have to see how religious people will take it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Pththya-lyi posted:

I was at the mall today and saw an ad for Noah, a Darren Aronofsky epic starring Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins that's going to come out this March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmj5mhDwJQ

Unsurprisingly, it's going to take a lot of liberties with the Biblical account, so we will have to see how religious people will take it.

If it goes half as batshit insane as the early draft one goon described in another thread, I will be giddy with excitement for this.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Hopefully it treats religion with the same sober, respectful tone that Pi did.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shanty posted:

If it goes half as batshit insane as the early draft one goon described in another thread, I will be giddy with excitement for this.

Link, please?

Unfortunately, according to the Wikipedia article on the film, the test audiences had "worrisome" reactions to the film, so the batshittery's probably going to be toned down in the final cut.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Pththya-lyi posted:

Link, please?

Unfortunately, according to the Wikipedia article on the film, the test audiences had "worrisome" reactions to the film, so the batshittery's probably going to be toned down in the final cut.

PriorMarcus describes it in a series of posts starting here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The other day I told some friends how much I wanted to see Noah if the studio didn't hack it to pieces. They were completely confused and then I explained to them what the movie was really like. Then their reaction was "We've got to see that!" Admittedly we're not the audience they're going to want for their 170 million dollar epic, but the marketing is turning off at least some people.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shanty posted:

PriorMarcus describes it in a series of posts starting here.

Thanks very much!

In return, I'd like to give the thread a link to Brian Godawa's blog post on the first draft: "Darren Aronofsky's Noah: Environmentalist Wacko." It is a well-reasoned critique, despite the inflammatory (though not unjustified, IMO) title. It sounds like the movie has changed quite a bit from that draft.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 13, 2014

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://www.flophousepodcast.com/2013/12/episode-141-last-ounce-of-courage/

My favorite bad movie podcast did an episode on the 'War on Christmas' movie Last Ounce of Courage.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Pththya-lyi posted:

Thanks very much!

In return, I'd like to give the thread a link to Brian Godawa's blog post on the first draft: "Darren Aronofsky's Noah: Environmentalist Wacko." It is a well-reasoned critique, despite the inflammatory (though not unjustified, IMO) title. It sounds like the movie has changed quite a bit from that draft.

quote:

First, let me say that no Christian that I am aware of believes that we should carelessly pollute the environment and kill animals without concern for the consequences of our actions. Those kind of accusations are straw man caricatures from ignorant anti-Christian bigotry.

Eh, I can come up with at least one well-known Christian who has said this exact thing and there are lots of people who hang on her every word, even within my own immediate family. It's not anti-christian bigotry, it's a real phenomenon which even moderate voices for environmentalism fight against all the time. Granted these people believe the world will end soon rather than the situation in the script where it seems nobody has any thoughts for the future, but the attitude is pretty much the same.

The article doesn't really work for me because it goes on assumptions of correct use of the story, and you've got more cause to criticize the new Hercules movie based on its misuse of the myth. The point of that film was supposedly to be entertaining, but it failed at that, apparently. It should have made better use of the many stories available about Hercules because that's what the audience would rather see. If Noah is meant to have an environmental message, and gets it across successfully, then its use of the myth is "correct" in that way, I'd guess. As for whether it does, we have to wait and see.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I allow that Godawa is using fallacies such as No True Scotsman. But religious people use fallacies all the time - and I'm including myself in that indictment even though I like to think of myself as a pretty rational person. ("What difference does it make if Christianity is a fairy tale? It makes me feel good and inspires me to be a better person!" As if Christianity is the only possible moral system that can make me happy and good.) I'm intentionally holding religious people to a lower standard. In this case, Godawa's claims about God's will (that humanity is called to be good stewards of the Earth) are supported by a straightforward, non-tortured reading of the Bible, so he meets my standards for a "rational" Christian. That's more than I can say for lots of Biblical "analysts." (For instance, the Bible puts a huge emphasis on charity towards the poor and not so much on sexual purity - but guess which one conservative Christians seem to care more about?)

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

I allow that Godawa is using fallacies such as No True Scotsman. But religious people use fallacies all the time - and I'm including myself in that indictment even though I like to think of myself as a pretty rational person. ("What difference does it make if Christianity is a fairy tale? It makes me feel good and inspires me to be a better person!" As if Christianity is the only possible moral system that can make me happy and good.) I'm intentionally holding religious people to a lower standard. In this case, Godawa's claims about God's will (that humanity is called to be good stewards of the Earth) are supported by a straightforward, non-tortured reading of the Bible, so he meets my standards for a "rational" Christian. That's more than I can say for lots of Biblical "analysts." (For instance, the Bible puts a huge emphasis on charity towards the poor and not so much on sexual purity - but guess which one conservative Christians seem to care more about?)

I agree that Coulter et al are wrong in their assumptions about what "stewardship" means in Genesis, I don't think there's an implication of ownership without responsibility. I was responding mainly to the idea that present-day Christians do not hold this belief, when a not insignificant number really do. He's talking about their response to this film, or rather how the film should be presenting itself to them, without acknowledging that to some in the religious audience would indeed respond with hostility to the idea of an environmentalist Noah, as though this is inherently wrong. He may feel the film is making all the wrong assumptions about him as a Christian, and it may be, but if it is, then maybe it's not criticizing him. He's got no reason to be offended if he is not the target of the message. I got the feeling the way he talked about "animal rights activists and radicals" that he is somewhat hostile to the idea himself, though.

I don't mean to say I'm on board with the message of the film, whatever it is. I haven't seen it so I can't say what I think about it, I just feel the article takes a defensive tone when it's not necessary. This doesn't seem to be a "bible" movie in the same way The Ten Commandments is, it's a fantasy based on ancient literature, more like Jason and the Argonauts.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hah, iTunes has the trailer up for a gem called Persecuted set for May 2014 that I haven't watched yet (at work right now, so it's going to remain unwatched for the time being), but check out this awesome blurb:

"Nationally acclaimed evangelist John Luther is the last obstacle in the way of sweeping religious reform in the States. When a U.S. Senator and Luther's own supporters abduct and frame him in the murder of an innocent teenage girl, an unprecedented era of persecution is unleashed. Out on personal recognizance, Luther escapes police surveillance in search of the truth. And suddenly, a once-normal life is targeted by a team of ex-military operatives who wage a relentless campaign to eliminate the incriminating evidence. As evangelist turned fugitive, Luther vows to expose anyone involved with or profiting from the girl's murder; a mission that brings him face-to-face with the coming storm of persecution that will threaten the entire Christian community in America."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why would his own supporters be part of this conspiracy?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Wizchine posted:

Hah, iTunes has the trailer up for a gem called Persecuted set for May 2014 that I haven't watched yet (at work right now, so it's going to remain unwatched for the time being), but check out this awesome blurb:

"Nationally acclaimed evangelist John Luther is the last obstacle in the way of sweeping religious reform in the States. When a U.S. Senator and Luther's own supporters abduct and frame him in the murder of an innocent teenage girl, an unprecedented era of persecution is unleashed. Out on personal recognizance, Luther escapes police surveillance in search of the truth. And suddenly, a once-normal life is targeted by a team of ex-military operatives who wage a relentless campaign to eliminate the incriminating evidence. As evangelist turned fugitive, Luther vows to expose anyone involved with or profiting from the girl's murder; a mission that brings him face-to-face with the coming storm of persecution that will threaten the entire Christian community in America."

It would be great if the Shamalanian twist was that he did accidentally kill the girl and is then taken off to spend time in the federal pen. But that isn't going to happen.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Young Freud posted:

Why would his own supporters be part of this conspiracy?

Must be liberal atheist sleeper agents who pretended to support him while biding their time. They even celebrated Christmas, the cads.... The conspiracy runs deep.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

How can you have this thread without this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PWFEeRApA

Remember that chain email you got from your religious crazy friend with the straw man professor?
Now it's back, in movie form.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

God's Not Dead a mess even by Christian film standards, , no surprise there. Isn't this basically that old email forward about the kid who challenges the evil professor who hates god and then everybody cheers?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Croisquessein posted:

God's Not Dead a mess even by Christian film standards, , no surprise there. Isn't this basically that old email forward about the kid who challenges the evil professor who hates god and then everybody cheers?

I can pretty much guarantee that the anecdote in that chain email never actually happened. That reeks of the kind of comeback one thinks of 30 minutes too late.

Also, despite what my fundie relatives believe, no college professor is going to get away with demanding his students publicly renounce their faith in order to receive a passing grade without serious repercussions.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Any chance to repost this.

quote:

A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.
p.s. close the borders

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Also, despite what my fundie relatives believe, no college professor is going to get away with demanding his students publicly renounce their faith in order to receive a passing grade without serious repercussions.
Ironically the only place someone would likely get away with reprising against someone for their personal beliefs would be a private fundamentalist college.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Croisquessein posted:

According to that, Dean Cain is just a businessman in the movie. I figured he was going to be Satan or some other demon based on the trailer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The one thing I keep noticing with most christian media is that it seems to lack any sort of understanding of the "Human condition", and when it does it seems to define a person with said understanding as "Sinful" and not of God.

Therefore it seems like a very flawed and very narrow line of thinking in quite a lot of their media.

It seems like they can't understand certain concepts all that well. Having been in a Christian School/Church environment for about 12 years of my life, it was very much that type of feel for me and a lot of other people I knew.

It's rather easy to show everything in black and white when you're in that nice little bubble of suburban christian life. "Why would someone do drugs? Why would someone be gay? Why would someone have pre marital sex? Why would someone have an abortion?". The answer is always, "The Devil".

Life is a lot more "gray" as it turns out (as you all know). I know I've developed quite a bit more empathy (ironically) being away from that environment, and have a great understanding as to why people act the way they do.

I honestly believe that's why these movies are generally terrible.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Aww man, they roped the Newsboys into this. I like those guys.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one thing I keep noticing with most christian media is that it seems to lack any sort of understanding of the "Human condition", and when it does it seems to define a person with said understanding as "Sinful" and not of God.

Therefore it seems like a very flawed and very narrow line of thinking in quite a lot of their media.

It seems like they can't understand certain concepts all that well. Having been in a Christian School/Church environment for about 12 years of my life, it was very much that type of feel for me and a lot of other people I knew.

It's rather easy to show everything in black and white when you're in that nice little bubble of suburban christian life. "Why would someone do drugs? Why would someone be gay? Why would someone have pre marital sex? Why would someone have an abortion?". The answer is always, "The Devil".

Life is a lot more "gray" as it turns out (as you all know). I know I've developed quite a bit more empathy (ironically) being away from that environment, and have a great understanding as to why people act the way they do.

I honestly believe that's why these movies are generally terrible.

Yeah, they're basically reassurance that the audience is right and the sinful outside world is wrong to claim that people make decisions for reasons that are their own, results of their circumstances and not of evil influences. When religious movies try to suggest that there's more than one right choice, that people can follow their faith in different ways, that god does not have such specific ideas about dress and behavior and entertainment as your pastor, they get rejected by the people who could most benefit from watching them. They make the faithful uncomfortable by expanding the space in which their faith can exist, rather than holding them snugly in place like your Fireproof, or your God's Not Dead. People who are scared don't want more freedom.

Regarding Fireproof, The Flop House Podcast does a great review of it.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 27, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The name of the main character is "Josh Wheaton". This is enjoyable to me.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Aww man, they roped the Newsboys into this. I like those guys.

Back in the 90s, they created a Christian movie that didn't suck. Newsboys Down Under the Big Top https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhBtwfYpx_8. Directed by Steve Taylor, who also directed the recent Blue Like Jazz movie.

hehateme
Jul 29, 2013

Kaneda! What do you see?
"You think you're smarter than me, Wheaton? In that classroom there is a god and he's my dad...because I'm Hercules!" *lightning bolt from the heavens*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Croisquessein posted:

The whole thing reminds me of An American Carol (didn't see it), which was basically a Michael Moore strawman being haunted by positive strawmen for the right (is there a word for that? Puppet?)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At least an American Carrol was a box office bomb. God's Not Dead is doing extremely well.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least an American Carrol was a box office bomb. God's Not Dead is doing extremely well.

Did this thing actually get a wide theatrical release?

Edit: They really just need to go all out and make A Big Dumb Christian Action Movie. Like the dumbest movie ever made, a film so stupid if it were a person it would have to wear a bicycle helmet every time it went to the bathroom.

Just have your average-every day God Fearing teenage boy that's the same kid in every loving one of these movies, Jason Jesusborne (and yes, you loving call him that. It's his title in the script and both his pastor, parents, and everyone refers to him as that), walking down the street to visit his girlfriend Chastity (which his her nickname, we never learn her real name but that's fine because as a Good Christian Woman she is subservient to the man and thus her real name is unimportant), to play her the new Amy Grant CD (Boom, TIE IN).

Then all of a sudden, all Hell Literally Breaks Loose, the local Church Volleyball team starts getting gay married in the convenience store, old couples start kissing in public, Muslims start voting, etc.

Then the archangel Micheal comes down and hands James a Flaming Sword, and que 86-minutes God-Approved, Ang-Lee Choreographed, Old-Testament Style Vengeance all to the tune of every Jars of Clay album.

At the end Jason, now the first of many of God's new army of Supersoilders, is standing over the vanquished and beaten College Liberal Professor, who's Blasphemous Occult Rituals summoned all this in the first place.

As he pierces his neck slowly, tenderly, almost erotical-wait scratch that last one, he leans in and whispers into the dying sinner's ear "God's not dead, but you are"

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 28, 2014

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hehateme posted:

"You think you're smarter than me, Wheaton? In that classroom there is a god and he's my dad...because I'm Hercules!" *lightning bolt from the heavens*

A++ Would Watch.

My wife, who is Christian, thought that movie looks like absolute poo poo. She grew up in the south and luckily didn't take on the fundie traits that most of her family and high school friends did. She has so many people on facebook talking about what an emotional and moving movie God's Not Dead is. Meanwhile, she would rather just chill and watch Cosmos.

I told her how Hercules was in this movie and she had no idea what I was talking about. I think it's time for a TV Hercules marathon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just saw Mike Huckabee speaking about this exact point on Fox News. (not voluntarily. TL;DR stuck with my folks until I can get a job).

About "Son of God", "Noah", "God's Not Dead", and "Duck Dynasty".

His insistence is that it was the reaction of the middle class/middle america wanting to see stuff that was more accepting of their values, and that hollywood's values were a "cesspool" (amongst other typical conservative talking points).

I'm a little lost as to why "Duck Dynasty's" popularity is because of their religious beliefs. Every person I've ever ran into liked the show because they like to make fun of (or if they're a "redneck"? Identify with) the characters. The "religious" aspect only seems to be touted by conservatives.

I don't understand the mindset that the majority of American DON'T want movies that have to do with Sex, Violence Drugs, and Swearing. If this was the case? Movies like Goodfellas, Scarface, Casino, The Terminator series, would have been collassal failures at the box office.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm a little lost as to why "Duck Dynasty's" popularity is because of their religious beliefs. Every person I've ever ran into liked the show because they like to make fun of (or if they're a "redneck"? Identify with) the characters. The "religious" aspect only seems to be touted by conservatives.

Cause one of those disgusting fucks was dropping homophobic f-bombs recently and proclaimed it his religious right or some horrible garbage rear end in a top hat poo poo.

gregday
May 23, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't understand the mindset that the majority of American DON'T want movies that have to do with Sex, Violence Drugs, and Swearing. If this was the case? Movies like Goodfellas, Scarface, Casino, The Terminator series, would have been collassal failures at the box office.

I don't even think it's so much that Americans want sex, drugs, and violence. It's not that simplistic. It's that reality contains those things, and they can be components of a good story.

hehateme
Jul 29, 2013

Kaneda! What do you see?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just saw Mike Huckabee speaking about this exact point on Fox News. (not voluntarily. TL;DR stuck with my folks until I can get a job).

About "Son of God", "Noah", "God's Not Dead", and "Duck Dynasty".

I wonder if Huckabee actually saw Noah before putting it in that group. My evangelical parents would hate Noah if they ever saw it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gregday posted:

I don't even think it's so much that Americans want sex, drugs, and violence. It's not that simplistic. It's that reality contains those things, and they can be components of a good story.

Absolutely.

I didn't mean that as a slam on any of those movies. Goodfella's is my favorite movie because the story keeps making you want to watch it over and over again. You are very much correct on this.

It's kind of a bizarre logic employed by Huckabee though. If the American viewing public was truly made up of all white, straight, evangelicals in "traditional" households and there were demands for the type of films he was describing? "God's Not Dead" would be getting a mainstream release, and have actors like Tom Hanks and Bryan Cranston in it. Not Kevin Sorbo.

We're not seeing that though, and we've not seen that well since...ever. There was never this "Golden Era" of "Family Values" these people like to pretend existed. It's always been this way. The difference is? You can't pretend it doesn't exist any more.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 28, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alan Smithee posted:

The whole thing reminds me of An American Carol (didn't see it), which was basically a Michael Moore strawman being haunted by positive strawmen for the right (is there a word for that? Puppet?)
Seemingly every one of these religious movies or right-wing pandering movies has a liberal strawman. Because their ideologies fail on a basic level without one.

There are two or three of these movies where atheists ruin everything for the Good Christian Soldiers (TM)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone should make "Gods aren't Dead" and have the entire point of the movie be to cram as many different religious figures in the movie as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydh4MEo2B0
Just what everyone wanted, a lovely movie based on a bullshit book.

• Locked thread