Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Here, have a picture of my cat -- I can guarantee he has a good life:
I want to pet that cat's paws. Look at how perfect they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

I want to pet that cat's paws. Look at how perfect they are.

Aw, I'll pet them for you today as a proxy. His little toes are black like little black jellybeans. :3: And he's a total sweetheart, one of the few cats I've known with no dark side.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Aw, I'll pet them for you today as a proxy. His little toes are black like little black jellybeans. :3: And he's a total sweetheart, one of the few cats I've known with no dark side.

... that you know of. :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

That just means he's a better actor than you think.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

You can't post this and not post the translation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JynBEX_kg8

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Otters, hm? Well, here's a tactical nuclear warhead of otter cuteness: Some elderly guy in rural Finland hanging out with his otter buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6Yl1QPGJY

Features close up footage of the otter eating frozen fish, complete with ridiculously adorable snuffly noises. :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_H5W7E5zag

Ever been jogging with a baby rhinoceros?

I got to pet one at the zoo once. It was a 40 year old female, which is geriatric in rhino years. She was so sweet and gentle, and liked being stroked and brushed.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPWkgrPyOI
Doggy clown-car

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Mar 25, 2014

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

pseudomonkey posted:

Maybe it's not cute and uplifting if someone is causing suffering for a photo op

If you feel that way then you probably should stop posting pictures of pugs! Breeding for those cute little pug faces guarantees a lifetime of health problems! Those funny bug eyes cause them all sorts of eye issues. Their squishy faces means they can't breathe properly or keep themselves cool. 64% of them will suffer from hip dysplasia. The wrinkles in their faces will get infected if they're not cleaned properly, etc. etc. And every time people coo over how adorable they are it's just encouraging the production of more of these poor freaks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Haha, that capy thinks it's a cat- nevermind.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

an overdue owl posted:

If you feel that way then you probably should stop posting pictures of pugs! Breeding for those cute little pug faces guarantees a lifetime of health problems! Those funny bug eyes cause them all sorts of eye issues. Their squishy faces means they can't breathe properly or keep themselves cool. 64% of them will suffer from hip dysplasia. The wrinkles in their faces will get infected if they're not cleaned properly, etc. etc. And every time people coo over how adorable they are it's just encouraging the production of more of these poor freaks.

Same with bulldogs. :smith:

At least Corgi's don't have a disproportionate amount of health issues related to their legs. :unsmith:

Also some pics of our very own Otto!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

umalt posted:

At least Corgi's don't have a disproportionate amount of health issues related to their legs. :unsmith:

Mostly because Corgis were bred old-style. They're working dogs. So short so they can duck under the feet of kicking cattle and sheep when they nip at them to get them to go the right way.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

umalt posted:

... Yeah they do.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

a life less posted:

... Yeah they do.

Their hips get hosed up bad. My vet told me to reduce the amount of stairs she can go up and down on. :(

Edit: Here's Eevee as a puppy and just a few weeks ago :3:

ARMBAR A COP has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Mar 25, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my god, I cannot get anything started today.

Are there any uplifting pictures that are also motivating?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
If it's any consolation to the disapointed elephant people I'm pretty sure I read about elephants "truly" painting a while back. Most of what they made was just blobs of colour with no discernable patterns, at least to human eyes. But half of modern art just looks like that to me anyway, so...

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Their hips get hosed up bad. My vet told me to reduce the amount of stairs she can go up and down on. :(

Edit: Here's Eevee as a puppy and just a few weeks ago :3:

I've always wanted a corgi, but is it true they bark at everything endlessly ? Like I heard if you move a chair they will bark at it for hours.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Writer Cath posted:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

I've always wanted a corgi, but is it true they bark at everything endlessly ? Like I heard if you move a chair they will bark at it for hours.

It's not quite that bad, but they're barky sure. How much they bark depends on the individual dog, the dog's lines, and your suckiness/adeptness as a trainer.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Kennel posted:

Writer Cath posted:

fake edit:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

drat it, I hate it when I talk out of my rear end without realizing it. :smith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

an overdue owl posted:

Breed things with pugs and you get awesome dogs though, from what I can tell. Health problems are easy to get rid of in offspring just by crossbreeding for a generation or two, but nobody wants mutts. :smith:

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Dewgy posted:

Breed things with pugs and you get awesome dogs though, from what I can tell. Health problems are easy to get rid of in offspring just by crossbreeding for a generation or two, but nobody wants mutts. :smith:

Yes, I do!

However, as more and more people are spaying and neutering their pets, the number of domestic "oops" litters has decreased drastically - along with the number of strays and otherwise improperly cared for animals, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong - and therefore, so has the number of mutts. This makes me sad because the best dog I ever had was a mutt shelter puppy from an "oops" litter, and I don't know if I'll ever find one like her again. Nobody wants to "breed" mutts because they don't know how to sell them, at least not without slapping idiotic names like "labradoodle" on them.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Dewgy posted:

... Not really! Some health issues caused by extreme physical features can be improved greatly, but there's plenty of other scary crap waiting underneath the surface in purebreds and mutts alike.

Sorry to poo poo on the thread. Here, have my puppy.

Fake edit: Here's my friend's border collie celebrating his birthday for good measure.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

a life less posted:

It's not quite that bad, but they're barky sure. How much they bark depends on the individual dog, the dog's lines, and your suckiness/adeptness as a trainer.

Like bark when your gone bark? Or just to alert you kinda bark.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Like bark when your gone bark? Or just to alert you kinda bark.

It depends. Either/or. Both. Neither. Hard to say.

I have a VERY barky dog. But she doesn't bark when I'm gone, and she doesn't alert bark much, but she doesn't shut up when she's excited.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Kind of wish I didn't read the Snopes article now, but I guess deep down I knew that would be the case. :smith:

Still, the bulldogs video more than made up for it. Now to stop thinking about why my life sucks.

If it makes you feel better - Wildlife Alliance in Phnom Tamao animal rescue center have taught elephants to paint using positive reinforcement only :)

http://www.elephantart.com/catalog/pnompenh.php

It's a little more abstract granted, but I visited there this year and they definitely aren't using harsh measures to train them. It was something they did to show that you could teach elephants to paint without using abuse. You can go there and have Lucky paint a t-shirt while you're wearing it :3:.

They have 5 elephants there - all rescued. The link has great pictures of Chhouk, who had part of his foot blown off in a landmine explosion, and his new prosthetic.

Edit: I visited there last Christmas and Chhouk is HUGE now compared to his pics in that link (although still just a baby compared to the adults). They showed us how they've trained him to present his leg so they can change the prosthetic and wash the stump and he's just so happy once he gets the prosthetic back on and and walk around again :3:

Seabhac has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 25, 2014

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

How about pug/corgi mixes?

a life less posted:

It depends. Either/or. Both. Neither. Hard to say.

I have a VERY barky dog. But she doesn't bark when I'm gone, and she doesn't alert bark much, but she doesn't shut up when she's excited.

I got lucky with my girl. She won't bark unless I tell her to :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

How about pug/corgi mixes?

Porgies are the Besst.

And yeah, I have a shih tzu with a lovely health problem caused by inbreeding (heart murmur) but she's my own sweetpea and is a few months past her 14th birthday and doing fine with the help of daily medication.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey! Stop bringing us down everyone, what do you think this is, Pet Island?

Also, I totally want to see those Pirogies all grown up. (Yes that's what I'm calling them.)

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Who's got a problem with mutts?

This is my doofy mutt Curry. He likes to sit on the top of the couch.

Post-haircut glamour shot:

So majestic:

Mr Executive has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Mar 26, 2014

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

umalt posted:

Same with bulldogs. :smith:

Also some pics of our very own Otto!

Is Otto the only acceptable name for a Corgi? I know at least two other people who have Corgis named Otto. Is it a reference that I don't get?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And here's another monkey-based video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAhPqsLHmo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr Executive posted:

Who's got a problem with mutts?

This is my doofy mutt Curry. He likes to sit on the top of the couch.

Post-haircut glamour shot:

So majestic:

This looks like my maltese if he got huge.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Pookah posted:

Porgies are the Besst.

And yeah, I have a shih tzu with a lovely health problem caused by inbreeding (heart murmur) but she's my own sweetpea and is a few months past her 14th birthday and doing fine with the help of daily medication.

OK is it just me or does that breed live for EVER EVER. Every shih tzu i know is like over 12 years old, and still sprightly as a puppy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That's good to know, as our shih tzu mix puppy's only 5 months presently :unsmith:

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
here are two cute mutts

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My parents had a Shih Tzu who lived to be about 16. They adopted him when he was about 12 (from some assholes who were divorcing and were going to put him down for no good reason :mad: ). His name was Oscar but I called him "The Enchanted Dustmop".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dino. posted:

OK is it just me or does that breed live for EVER EVER. Every shih tzu i know is like over 12 years old, and still sprightly as a puppy.

Small dogs live longer than big dogs. My parent's lil mop of a shih tzu lived til she was 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
This is Chandler. We got him from a shelter about a year ago.

This is Chandler playing with my friends dog Molly.

This is Chandler on the pontoon boat while on the lake.

Here is my brothers Westie destroying his shoe.

• Locked thread