Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Might as well ask- is there any such thing as a good steampunk RPG for the PC? The only one I can think of is Arcanum, and I've played that to pieces. I've also had a bit of fun with Van Helsing and even Skyborn, so you can probably guess my standards aren't very high :v:

Chaos Engine is fairly steampunk but also quite old. The remake is good though.

Sudeki and Torchlight 2 have a lot of steam punk technology, but magic is also prevalent in their settings.

Also for the PSX JRPGs: Star Ocean 2. It's honestly the only great game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

San Andreas? Grab a BMX, head out to the mountainside, take it easy.

I already do that, and Bully. I was hoping there'd be something like ets2 but for bikes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anyone have recommendations for a game like Lands of Lore 1? My wife is a huge Lands of Lore fan and is looking for more games like it - first-person, gridded, party-based RPGs with strong guidance (i.e. you always know where to go next, no "here's the whole world, the next plot point is out there somewhere, good luck") and relatively simple mechanics. I thought Ishar might be what she's looking for, but it's a bit less directed and a lot more complicated mechanically. Might & Magic and Legend of Grimrock have both been suggested as possibilities elsewhere, but we haven't had a chance to try them yet. Any other suggestions?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What's a PC Game similar to the Harvest Moon series? I know there's one indev but it's been indev since the beginning of time because one person runs it. Is there anything that's out now?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Spaced God posted:

What's a PC Game similar to the Harvest Moon series? I know there's one indev but it's been indev since the beginning of time because one person runs it. Is there anything that's out now?

I think Stardew is the only thing even remotely similar.

Unless this thread can prove me wrong... I hope they can :smith:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've been thinking about buying Blockland, because I've been wanting a construction game in the vein of Lego Creator, and it look like a mix between that and Garry's Mod. Is it worth picking up?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a game like Lands of Lore 1? My wife is a huge Lands of Lore fan and is looking for more games like it - first-person, gridded, party-based RPGs with strong guidance (i.e. you always know where to go next, no "here's the whole world, the next plot point is out there somewhere, good luck") and relatively simple mechanics. I thought Ishar might be what she's looking for, but it's a bit less directed and a lot more complicated mechanically. Might & Magic and Legend of Grimrock have both been suggested as possibilities elsewhere, but we haven't had a chance to try them yet. Any other suggestions?

Not Might and Magic, that's for sure. That series is pretty much the definition of "here's the whole world, the next plot point is out there somewhere, good luck." Grimrock is a good suggestion since it's pretty straightforward, though easy to make a bad party build.

It's older and not party-based, but Anvil of Dawn might fit the bill. It has very simple mechanics and is first-person, gridded, and is usually fairly obvious what you have to do next. Even older is the Eye of the Beholder series, which probably fits your criteria better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Going back to the originals with dungeon master (and DM2) isn't a bad idea either. There's a remake version designed to work on windows. They may be a bit more puzzle / less story oriented than she wants though. They have story, but they're basically dungeon crawlers.

You really should get Legend of Grimrock though. It is fantastic and a great example of how to do a new game in an old style.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
What is the first game you would recommend for PS4? Best graphics, gameplay, etc...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Black Shadow posted:

What is the first game you would recommend for PS4? Best graphics, gameplay, etc...

Waiting a year or 3 for there to actually be some decent exclusives.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW

dis astranagant posted:

Waiting a year or 3 for there to actually be some decent exclusives.

343i should sign with PS4.

I can already see it. "Halo 5, PS4 exclusive!"

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Max Wilco posted:

I've been thinking about buying Blockland, because I've been wanting a construction game in the vein of Lego Creator, and it look like a mix between that and Garry's Mod. Is it worth picking up?

I can't say I totally got into it, but I picked it up years ago and found it to be pretty nice at the time. It's extremely cheap in this bundle for the next day, by the way:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fusion-bundle/

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Spaced God posted:

Try Shepard's Crossing for the PSP and NDS. Sorry, I think Stardew is the only one for PC. I guess you could always use an emulator, though.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 24, 2014

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Here's a strange request! My computer is out of commission for a week or so and I have an urge to play an RPG. I don't own any consoles and I can't really afford to get a new game for my DS...

So whats left? My phone and my kindle! I have a bunch of kairosoft games but they're not quite what I want. I'd love a nice simple roguelike or rpg that I can just pick up and play with, and I'm willing to pay for an app as long as I don't have to deal with "wait to play, pay to not wait" type stuff. My phone is an android so anything I can install on that would rule. I somehow doubt there are many RPGs on the amazon app store for my kindle, but if there are then I'll give it a shot too!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

Here's a strange request! My computer is out of commission for a week or so and I have an urge to play an RPG. I don't own any consoles and I can't really afford to get a new game for my DS...

So whats left? My phone and my kindle! I have a bunch of kairosoft games but they're not quite what I want. I'd love a nice simple roguelike or rpg that I can just pick up and play with, and I'm willing to pay for an app as long as I don't have to deal with "wait to play, pay to not wait" type stuff. My phone is an android so anything I can install on that would rule. I somehow doubt there are many RPGs on the amazon app store for my kindle, but if there are then I'll give it a shot too!

Thats not such a hard request! Emulation will be your friend, i'm not exactly sure how the amazon kindle app store works but you could grab a gameboy/gba emulator and have a fairly big chunk of quality RPGs to play, JRPGs are your friend with a touch device since anything action orientated is drat near impossible. Consider finding out how to sideoad apps onto your kindle since there are more than a few decent android rpgs, if you want something oldschool Avadon the black fortress is on android and should run on a lower powered device. Basically emulation is your best bet for a variety of quality rpgs.

Edit: Assuming you have a kindle fire the sideloading process is super easy so you shouldn't have a problem, Aptoide is a decent alternative store BUT some of the apps on there are certainly classed as files since some seem to have licensing removed, on top of that of course its unofficial so watch out what you download.

Kea fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
PC games I can play without a keyboard, preferably beyond casual time-wasters?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Invisible Ted posted:

FTL?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Invisible Ted posted:

any 3rd person shooter/action game? 360 controller support is standard these days.

Or do you mean with just a mouse

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Jackie D posted:

any 3rd person shooter/action game? 360 controller support is standard these days.

Or do you mean with just a mouse

Just a mouse. My keyboard is borked, so I'm using a mouse and an on-screen keyboard.

I can sort of play it, but once I'm in I can't access the menu, so I can't save. I might be able to rebind pause to the mouse, but otherwise I can't pause either.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 25, 2014

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Invisible Ted posted:

XCOM is fine with just the mouse, I guess. Generally I'd look into strategy 'map games' like Crusader Kings 2 or RPGs with isometric/overhead view (as long as you don't have to type a character's name :v:) like Shadowrun and maybe Dragon Age.

Jagged Alliance 2, Civilization series?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

If your mouse has enough buttons an ARPG like Path of Exile or Diablo 3 might be doable.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It seems far easier to just go to your nearest store and fork over $8 for the cheapest keyboard they have.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
What are some good 2 player coop games for the wii? Just got a wii for my house and want some fun poo poo to play with the roommate

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

smokyprogg posted:

What are some good 2 player coop games for the wii? Just got a wii for my house and want some fun poo poo to play with the roommate

Kirby Return to Dreamland, or Epic Yarn if you wanna give that a shot, it's kiddie but actually a pretty fun game.

Also DKC:R the ~*~best game of the generation~*~

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Invisible Ted posted:

A whole bunch of point and click adventures if that's your thing.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Uncle Ulty posted:

Here's maybe a weird one. I love me some collecting. I'm looking for some games that have a good chunk of unique things to collect, perhaps in a grid or checklist that can be filled out. Maybe they are useful in-game items displayed in a grid like in a Zelda style game, or a large collection of weapons like in a Dynasty Warriors, or even characters to recruit like in Suikoden. Even better is if these collectables can be upgraded like in Ratchet & Clank. if I've got some sort of graphical representation showing me how many Things I have left to collect that I get to fill in as the game progresses, then my OCD is happy.

Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2. Collecting and combining and teching andfishing and photographing and golfing and building and and and

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Dark Cloud 2 was awesome. Rogue Galaxy was great for the same reason, just so many minigames and things to find, do, create, and collect.

On a related note, one mini game I got hooked on was the Archaeology profession in World of Warcraft. I loved the idea of traveling around the world collecting bits that you would assemble into unique artifacts. Useful or not, just finding stuff to assemble was such a huge timesink for me and I loved every minute. What might be out there that feels like WoW Archeology?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm after something with puzzles and mazes where you can feel although your going in circles for ages. I guess something like antichamber or even Ocarina of time (especially the water temple.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tea Bone posted:

I'm after something with puzzles and mazes where you can feel although your going in circles for ages. I guess something like antichamber or even Ocarina of time (especially the water temple.)

The Rhem games, maybe? Hard to find a copy these days, though.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I'm looking for an RPG or strategy game in which you can win at, well, everything.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and the like, but only being able to max out some of the trees annoys me. I don't particularly like having to replay a game to experience all of it, as invariably you have to replay some content which is a little tiresome. I'd like something where you can, given time, max out everything.

I suspect an RPG would fit this best, but only because they tend to have skill trees. Something like a strategy game where you build up an army, and can try to get top level units of all different types, would also suit. I am however open to almost any genre (aside from racing games - although I am aware that something like filling out a garage in Gran Turismo would sound like a good fit). No objection at all to grinding on the way up, indeed I'm looking for an absorbing time-sink.

Minor preference for something with a cheerful colour palette (green over sandy brown), but that's entirely secondary.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

boatiemathmo posted:

I'm looking for an RPG or strategy game in which you can win at, well, everything.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and the like, but only being able to max out some of the trees annoys me. I don't particularly like having to replay a game to experience all of it, as invariably you have to replay some content which is a little tiresome. I'd like something where you can, given time, max out everything.

I suspect an RPG would fit this best, but only because they tend to have skill trees. Something like a strategy game where you build up an army, and can try to get top level units of all different types, would also suit. I am however open to almost any genre (aside from racing games - although I am aware that something like filling out a garage in Gran Turismo would sound like a good fit). No objection at all to grinding on the way up, indeed I'm looking for an absorbing time-sink.

Minor preference for something with a cheerful colour palette (green over sandy brown), but that's entirely secondary.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I, too, have an obsession with not just becoming high level but becoming absurdly high level to the point of godhood. Obviously the first suggestion would be to replay Skryim with some leveling mod that lets you pick enough perks per level to get them all. Among RPGs that let you max out everything: Any Bethesda game with a good leveling mod works. Morrowind/Oblivion didn't have the perk system and let you max out all your skills at 100. Play with a leveling mod and go even further beyond. Fallout New Vegas (+/- Fallout 3 using the Tales of Two Wastelands mod) can be played with mods to max out your perks or uncap your level. The Fable series lets you max out all 3 paths, fighter, rogue, wizard. Maybe the Assassins Creed games for rewarding collectathons that give you good endgame rewards?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does anyone know if a game in the vein of Lords of Magic has ever been made since then? I really loved that game. It had a nice mix of turn based strategy and tactical battles, but what I really miss is a game with that kind of theme and flavor. There was so much charm and the myriad faiths all with their own distinctive styles was really cool. It's just that nowadays it's really hard to play a game that dated, especially because the AI in it is very basic and strategy mechanics have come so far since then that playing it now feels really klunky.

Is there anything like it that I just haven't heard of?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a, for lack of a better term, 'starvation' game, where you are scrimping for resources or very slowly bleeding out. Too many games have you die very quickly when you gently caress up, or you can 'win' them by gathering really well. For example, Don't Starve and Minecraft allow you to farm much faster than you need to eat and survival falls by the wayside, and then you might as well be playing creative mode.

Any sort of game will do. Half-Life 2 fits, as you are very durable even on hard, but you're always scraping the landscape to keep yourself armed and healthy. Banished doesn't work, since it's easy to keep everyone fed and starvation pretty much self-corrects. Dwarf Fortress fits very well, since once you start losing it can (sometimes) take a long time to actually lose. Dark Souls doesn't work, as you're always dying. FTL is perfect.

So basically:
1) "You" are very durable,
2) "You" are bleeding out and are in constant peril of death/losing.

VV No WiiU :(
Dead Space fits pretty well and I enjoyed the first two a good bit. I heard DS3 pretty much went full-action so I've skipped it.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a, for lack of a better term, 'starvation' game, where you are scrimping for resources or very slowly bleeding out. Too many games have you die very quickly when you gently caress up, or you can 'win' them by gathering really well. For example, Don't Starve and Minecraft allow you to farm much faster than you need to eat and survival falls by the wayside, and then you might as well be playing creative mode.

Any sort of game will do. Half-Life 2 fits, as you are very durable even on hard, but you're always scraping the landscape to keep yourself armed and healthy. Banished doesn't work, since it's easy to keep everyone fed and starvation pretty much self-corrects. Dwarf Fortress fits very well, since once you start losing it can (sometimes) take a long time to actually lose. Dark Souls doesn't work, as you're always dying. FTL is perfect.

So basically:

If you have a WiiU, get ZombiU. You generally have very little ammo ( having around fifteen rounds for any gun means you're doing well), and you don't play one survivor but a string of them. Each time you get killed by a zombie, you respawn at the safehouse as a newly "found/rescued" randomly-generated character by the guy running the safehouse. And if you want your stuff back, you'll have to go kill the wandering zombie version of your last guy back where you left them. Occasionally you can also run into zombified versions of other player's characters and loot their stuff. It's just a copy, so it's not like it's a rush to recover your last guy's stuff before it gets stolen or anything. Dead Space is another option if you play through on the hardest difficulty. It gets really loving terrifying when you have so little ammo and a horde of Necromorphs on the other side of a door in zero-G.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

boatiemathmo posted:

Cantorsdust posted:

I, too, have an obsession with not just becoming high level but becoming absurdly high level to the point of godhood.

The Disgaea games basically dare you to break them over your knee. PS2, PS3 and PSP, I think.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a, for lack of a better term, 'starvation' game, where you are scrimping for resources or very slowly bleeding out.

You are not really durable, but Pathologic has that feeling of racing against the clock for resources. While you have an overal objective, your main worry each moment is to keep yourself fed, awake, healthy and disease-free. It's quite old and very Russian, though. The next game of the same company, Void, is prettier and with a better UI, but every bit as weird.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a, for lack of a better term, 'starvation' game, where you are scrimping for resources or very slowly bleeding out.

UnReal World is a survival roguelike where dying from starvation or thirst take a long time. It's easy to set up an end-game though, especially if you build a strong character and get a cabin and trap fence set up, but if you get around that you'll have persistent peril. It's really tense spending days stalking a herd of deer while starving and hoping the 4 stone arrows you have in your possession don't miss and/or break because you already ripped apart your clothes to make cord.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

So basically:

Dead Space fits pretty well and I enjoyed the first two a good bit. I heard DS3 pretty much went full-action so I've skipped it.

It's pretty old, but if you haven't played System Shock 2, that does a great job of making you feel like you have barely enough stuff to get by. Moreso than HL2, in my experience. The scarier atmosphere kind of helps promote that feeling, too. If you liked Dead Space you'd probably love SS2.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Supraluminal posted:

It's pretty old, but if you haven't played System Shock 2, that does a great job of making you feel like you have barely enough stuff to get by. Moreso than HL2, in my experience. The scarier atmosphere kind of helps promote that feeling, too. If you liked Dead Space you'd probably love SS2.

Came here to post SS2. I can't think of any other game that so effectively uses scarcity as a design element.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

So basically:

If you have a PS3, The Last of Us maybe? It's more in the HL-2 vein of things, especially if you play it on hard. You'll constantly find yourself in situations where you're half dead, have one hit left on your melee weapon and three bullets to your name, an entire level full of zombies in front of you, and only your wits and scrounging skills to keep you from getting your throat chomped. It's well balanced and not at all like the constant death spiral of Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

boatiemathmo posted:

Any ideas/suggestions?

I recommend Fable. It's not very long but your character definitely kicks all kinds of rear end. I'm not sure if you can max out everything but I don't think theres very many RPGs that let you do that. They definitely portray you as the most awesome motherfucker in the world.