Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah they do it with retired aircraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Boeing_727_crash_experiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sinjang posted:

I'm not so certain everyone would be so keen to pounce on the fact that they'd sent a "no survivors" message by SMS (disregarding the fact that it was absolutely the responsible thing to do) if the narrative of Malaysian incompetence hadn't been pursued so doggedly over the last two weeks.

I'm looking more at the possible pilot being a terrorist or committing suicide angle the media was drumming up as opposed to the search and public relations.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Bolivar posted:

I.e. the fights between pilot and co-pilot and other interesting stuff is all deleted. I wonder if our civilization will some day advance to a point where we can record more than two hours of voice data.

I'm sure the tech would be easy to upgrade, getting it certified would be a pain (you can't just put in a bigger hard drive etc and expect it to be approved, everything would have tested which costs stupid amounts). Throw in no one expected a plane to keep flying for so long after "catastrophic event" and it makes sense why the recorders are relatively limited. I expect better tracking of planes in the air will be the future but probably no upgrades to the black boxes till they locate these ones (if they ever find them).

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bottom line is we need to encourage pilots with simulators to crash their planes to get more data.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Guys, its gone.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
Restart Steam, its gone

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If the plane thinks its going to crash they should just eject the black box with a parachute.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Have there been any serious breakthroughs in aviation safety? because it seems be it now or 30 years ago, when a plane crashes you still have the exact same chances of dying a horrible death. I guess there is not much you can do when flying in a tin can.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

myshl0ng posted:

Have there been any serious breakthroughs in aviation safety? because it seems be it now or 30 years ago, when a plane crashes you still have the exact same chances of dying a horrible death. I guess there is not much you can do when flying in a tin can.

True, but it's much less likely for a plane to crash than it was 30 years ago.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

myshl0ng posted:

I guess there is not much you can do when flying in a tin can.

You will be pleasantly surprised when we break the news to you that modern aeroplanes are not made of tin but a combination of aluminum alloy and carbon composites in some cases.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

demonR6 posted:

You will be pleasantly surprised when we break the news to you that modern aeroplanes are not made of tin but a combination of aluminum alloy and carbon composites in some cases.

Dying in style.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

demonR6 posted:

It makes that horrible death much more pleasant :mcnabb:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Sinjang posted:

What incompetence are you referring to?

Not even Inmarsat had thought of this method of locating the plane before a few days ago.

Obviously the plane was always going to be very hard if not impossible to find, but the Malaysian government has rewritten the events surrounding the disappearance how many times? It's the fact that they can't get the story straight that has everybody on their case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sir Cornelius posted:

True, but it's much less likely for a plane to crash than it was 30 years ago.

And it's still the safest way to travel, by far. Yeah, it probably sucks when everything goes wrong and you're involved in a fatal crash, but it's still orders of magnitude more likely to happen to you in a car (I'm guessing that fiery death isn't much more pleasant).

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Great AV, I should check back into D&D.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So I was reading the Wiki entry for Flight 370, and I think I found the problem:

"the aircraft was carrying 3 to 4 tonnes of mangosteens"

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

And it's still the safest way to travel, by far. Yeah, it probably sucks when everything goes wrong and you're involved in a fatal crash, but it's still orders of magnitude more likely to happen to you in a car (I'm guessing that fiery death isn't much more pleasant).

To be a nit-picky bastard, that often repeated statistic is comparing total averages, and totally meaningless. There is no average person.

For instance, I live New Orleans. I (almost) never have to deal with icy conditions, and I only have to drive on surface streets with a speed limit of 35 mph. Most streets are divided into one ways, so head on collisions are nearly unheard of. I don't drink and drive. My risk of death when I get behind the wheel is minuscule compared to the "average," which by definition takes into account a bunch of drivers who do have to deal with those things, in all different kinds of vehicles that have no bearing on my risk. I have a better chance of catching a stray bullet walking down the street than I do dying while driving (not a joke). I wouldn't be surprised if you crunched the numbers that I have a better chance of dying while flying than driving too.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I wonder if it was SMS or MMS??

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

mstrkrft posted:

Sometimes it's 45+ days, really depends on the circumstances. Given how loving dumb this whole situation has been, I'd say it's already dead or has been eaten by a whale.

Are we honestly not advanced enough to make a battery that lasts more than 30 days sending a beep every few minutes?

Why do we even need a black box. Why isn't all data live streamed right up until the last possible second? Is it hard drive space? It's probably ok to delete a week after the plane has landed.

Anything being able to turn the transponder off is a joke. If anything there should only be a snooze option for when they need to quiet it for some reason.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

urseus posted:

Are we honestly not advanced enough to make a battery that lasts more than 30 days sending a beep every few minutes?

There are a lot of physical limits on the amount of energy density in a battery. Clearly we want a magic black box that sends infinite data to a magic computer all the time but there are limits on how long a high power beacon can last on a battery in a small crash proof box. In any case, how many times do we actually need a black box to last more than 30 days? I can count one so far. How much are you willing to pay to be able to not bring people back from the dead on the one accident ever that necessitated this magic black box?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bolivar posted:

Also a pretty loving good point on previous page about the Formula 1, the GP of Kuala Lumpur is next weekend so they wanted to close this poo poo and move on stuff that's more fun and alive.

I wonder if they'll have a big tribute for the plane with the national anthem etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNKhr_o5wUA

"My country
The land where my blood has spilt
The people living united and progressive
May God bestow blessing and happiness
May our King have a successful reign
May God bestow blessing and happiness
May our King have a successful reign"

urseus posted:

Our technological capacity is a few centuries ahead of our ethical ability.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you're out of mobile tower range or capability then you are relying on satellites to get your message back. Satellite comm time is expensive, partly because a whole bunch of satellites have crappy data storage and comms abilities and to replace them means new satellites. Which are expensive.

It doesn't make sense eating up all that data bandwidth with a bunch of planes going I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine etc.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

urseus posted:

Why do we even need a black box. Why isn't all data live streamed right up until the last possible second? Is it hard drive space? It's probably ok to delete a week after the plane has landed.

As with any good idea that has been sadly underutilized the answer is "Who is going to pay for it?" Certainly not Malaysia Airlines who weren't prepared to pay for a similar engine monitoring service from Rolls Royce.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Zogo posted:

Our technological capacity is a few centuries ahead of our ethical ability.

This is amazingly succinct, thank you for this

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dusseldorf posted:

There are a lot of physical limits on the amount of energy density in a battery. Clearly we want a magic black box that sends infinite data to a magic computer all the time but there are limits on how long a high power beacon can last on a battery in a small crash proof box. In any case, how many times do we actually need a black box to last more than 30 days? I can count one so far. How much are you willing to pay to be able to not bring people back from the dead on the one accident ever that necessitated this magic black box?

All of this is true, as well as the fact that increasing the battery capacity usually means increasing the size as well, which in turn means the "black box" ends up being larger and more likely to be damaged in a crash. Another stumbling block is that everything on an airliner has to be FAA (and a million other orgs) approved. This takes massive amounts of time and money. When you're talking about something like a black box you can pretty much quadruple the amount of time and money required to get something passed. Slightly altering a cargo hatch to allow an extra 1" of clearance when loading and unloading can cost millions, in testing and paperwork. A black box alteration might take a decade, which is why you see such a delay in the adoption of technology that doesn't instantly equal extra money for the airlines. Boeing is willing to drop a few hundred million on developing a new wingtip that gives them 3% better fuel efficiency, but spending a fraction of that on a better black box that will even be an issue once a decade isn't likely.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did they find the plane yet?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

redshirt posted:

There was no plane, Pamela Ewing just dreamed the whole thing up.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Its gone. Really.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

redshirt posted:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i hope they find some gnarly old corpses

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Hey, in the Langoliers, did they ever figure out why that time rift happened in the first place?

People always blame these missing planes on the Pac-Man janitors and not the big holes in reality that cause the problems to begin with.

E: It just seems unfair, is what I'm saying.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 26, 2014

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So what're the odds in the plane pool of "Got eaten by giant shark?"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

redshirt posted:

Seeing it took two years to find the Air France flight that crashed into the Atlantic in 2009; it'll be a while.

Especially since this is in the southern Indian Ocean which means unless a wing or something is found floating (to approximate where to look) they probably will never find it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Godscock posted:

Seeing it took two years to find the Air France flight that crashed into the Atlantic in 2009; it'll be a while.

Especially since this is in the southern Indian Ocean which means unless a wing or something is found floating (to approximate where to look) they probably will never find it.

why's that? what's so special about ur precious indian ocean

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

Ratjaculation posted:

Its why it was called Malaya.. the Malaysia is because Singapore became part of the country... and then left.

It was the Federation of Malaya to begin with which then turned into Malaysia after Singapore, Sarawak and North Borneo joined in. Singapore was then expelled from Malaysia because of idealogical differences which included the ethnic Chinese majority in Singapore not being on board with the pro-Bumiputera thing that the Malays from peninsular Malaysia were pushing (Bumiputera translates to "son of the soil" and pro-Bumiputera policies essentially encompassed the idea that the Malays should have rights and privileges above other races in the country).

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Obviously the plane was always going to be very hard if not impossible to find, but the Malaysian government has rewritten the events surrounding the disappearance how many times? It's the fact that they can't get the story straight that has everybody on their case.

By rewritten, do you mean the way that they changed the parameters of the search as new, verifiable information came up? Or are you referring to other elements such as the investigation of the crew of which most of the reporting has come from "a source close to the investigation"?

Honestly, I think that there have been some significant elements playing against the Malaysian authorities from the outset here - their lack of experience and internal resources for dealing with this sort of event and the politics within the region i.e. there are a shitload of territorial disputes in the South China Sea which I think has translated to the countries in the area being hesitant about sharing data as well as a general inability to work together. I don't deny that there have been gently caress ups by the Malaysian authorities (e.g. why they didn't bother to investigate an unidentified aircraft passing over peninsular Malaysia) but as far as the search and investigation goes, I think people have been too quick to jump on the ":lol: incompetent South-East Asians boat" without considering how complex the operation as a whole is.

The Malaysian government's efforts at PR management for this has been absolutely dismal but I guess that's not really surprising since they're used to having to only deal with media outlets that are run by their own cronies. I mean, how hard would it have been to get someone to keep an eye what gets reported and have them immediately debunk things that are being reported wrongly on an official Twitter or Facebook page?

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
Airplanes, how do they work?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Two theories that will be the only answers we will ever get:

. Hijacking gone wrong/stopped
. Pilot had a psychotic episode

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grayly Squirrel posted:

To be a nit-picky bastard, that often repeated statistic is comparing total averages, and totally meaningless. There is no average person.

For instance, I live New Orleans. I (almost) never have to deal with icy conditions, and I only have to drive on surface streets with a speed limit of 35 mph. Most streets are divided into one ways, so head on collisions are nearly unheard of. I don't drink and drive. My risk of death when I get behind the wheel is minuscule compared to the "average," which by definition takes into account a bunch of drivers who do have to deal with those things, in all different kinds of vehicles that have no bearing on my risk. I have a better chance of catching a stray bullet walking down the street than I do dying while driving (not a joke). I wouldn't be surprised if you crunched the numbers that I have a better chance of dying while flying than driving too.

You probably have at least an equal chance of dying after being hit by a car, in that case. There's been quite a few people hit and killed by cars in my own moderately-sized city this winter. Compared to the multitude of people who fly, without incident, every single day, I'm guessing the risk is about the same. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I mean, there was a person who slipped, fell, hit their head and died a little while ago in a nearby city, to say nothing of people who break bones or something.

If you want to take into account fatality/serious injury rate per distance travelled, airplanes seem even safer.

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

Boner Medicine posted:

Some guy on Fox News says it's probably pilot suicide

Quoted from page 2. Long live the truth telling prophets of Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Orkin Mang posted:

i hope they find some gnarly old corpses

:(

• Locked thread