Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you know which caste you should marry? Everyone hates me cause my woman is WRONG SOMEHOW, SHE LOOKED FINE

Edit: Unrelated question, has there been a mod in the past that gives you pop ups when you can go on a hunt/hold a feast/etc? I hate missing those, and i do 9 out of 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

^^^ I think you're just supposed to marry within your own caste.

More achievement shenanigans: I got Saint Thomas's Dream for ruling an Indian kingdom/Empire and converting all its provinces to Christianity within ten minutes of starting a game as the Buddhist duke of Sri Lanka. Not a single Christian character in India, much less province.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dongattack posted:

How do you know which caste you should marry? Everyone hates me cause my woman is WRONG SOMEHOW, SHE LOOKED FINE

You want a Kshatriya. Brahmins might do too, I haven't tried it yet. Basically, Brahmin = Priests, Kshatriya = Warriors, Vaishya = wealthy Peasants, and they're ranked top to bottom in that order.

EDIT: What WGS said.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I started playing as the Mongols from the 1220 start date and I can't reform. The icon in the top left hand corner of the religion screen that allows me to reform simply isn't there anymore and I can't find anything else (as a note I'm also at 50% religious authority). Was there something in the patch notes I wasn't aware of or is this a bug?

Could someone else quickly fire up a Mongol game to see if this is the case with anyone else as well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I did'nt have a caste, but thats cause i used the ruler designer i guess.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I did'nt have a caste, but thats cause i used the ruler designer i guess.

I think that makes you an Untouchable, at which point shouldn't you get mad prestige for marrying anyone who isn't an Untouchable? That said, no one should want to marry you.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
There we go, massive CK2 sale.

No Sons of Abraham sale though :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Major Isoor posted:

:allears: Hang on, so did he kill it, and not just wound it?

Yeah he killed it. To be fair to Eleazar he not only killed the elephant, but also a bunch of dudes in order to get to the elephant (radical jews in antiquity were just as good at killing people as they are today). It's kind of a ridiculous show of bravery/stupidity, cause what did he think was going to happen after he ran underneath the elephant and killed it?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm kind of upset that Outer Mongolia of all places is considered a wasteland and the Mongols don't have control of it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm kind of upset that Outer Mongolia of all places is considered a wasteland and the Mongols don't have control of it.

I really hope CK3 has a whole world map, people coming from offscreen spawning troops out of nowhere is always going to be awkward.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Any one else notice the game is god aweful slow in ironman mode now with the auto save each month?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Stevefin posted:

Speaking of Zoroastrians, how does one survive the starting old gods date as them. the longest I got was about 40 years before every Sunni holly wared me

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

You'll probably need to rollback to 2.0.4 to make it work, but this is by far the best way of playing a Zoro ruler.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

This is fantastic, thank you. Ordered.

Any codes for Sons of Abraham or know somewhere that has it on sale? GMG/Gamersgate don't seem to have that particular DLC on sale unfortunately. Usually whenever Paradox releases DLC's there's a massive sale for previous DLC, I guess have to wait until RoI official release to find out.

The code was generic and you might have been able to buy them together. Dunno if it'll work now though. It has a $10 minimum and might be one time use.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Thrasophius posted:

Any one else notice the game is god aweful slow in ironman mode now with the auto save each month?

Save compression is turned on by default now, IIRC. It should be possible to turn it off and get the old save performance, although it is probably a bit slower in either case because of the increased save size due to the expansion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what is the size difference between compressed and uncompressed saves?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what is the size difference between compressed and uncompressed saves?

My estimate would be that compression can reduce sizes by 75%, given how much those saves compress when you compress them through other means.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How bad has performance been impacted due to the expansion?

I'm just wondering if this is going to require a laptop with better specs now. (It certainly dies on my three-year old Acer but I think that is mainly due to the crappy graphics card in it.)

Also, what are they using to compress saves - is it just a zip/rar/7z?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

monster on a stick posted:

How bad has performance been impacted due to the expansion?

I'm just wondering if this is going to require a laptop with better specs now. (It certainly dies on my three-year old Acer but I think that is mainly due to the crappy graphics card in it.)

Also, what are they using to compress saves - is it just a zip/rar/7z?

I'm on a 5 year old Macbook Pro and generally get... okayish performance if I run it in windowed. I've yet to play since the patch/get the expansion, but apparently they made some "major optimization improvements."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marktheando posted:

I really hope CK3 has a whole world map, people coming from offscreen spawning troops out of nowhere is always going to be awkward.

Well a map of all of Eurasia would be great and maybe all of Africa. I don't think nearly enough is known about what was going on in the Americas in this time period for it to be possible to set part of CK2 there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some new tactics were added:

Crushing Charge can trigger in the center during the skirmish phase for war elephants or knights, and changes the phase to melee, giving knights 5 offensive, and elephants 10. If at all possible, put all your elephants/knights into the center, because this is a ridiculous multiplier. Having at least 5% elephants and a 12 martial leader will make this 20x more likely to fire. If you have 40% knights and an 18! martial leader it'll be 8x more likely, but that's not going to happen all too often.

Gray Wall can fire in skirmish for war elephants and gives a bunch of defense to all troop types. Useful, but not amazing. Should never fire because your elephants should be in the center.

Force Back can fire in melee for elephants, or at least 25% heavy infantry or pikemen, and increases their offense while lowering the offense of all other troop types. It can happen on the flanks, but isn't all that useful. Probably won't come up all too much, unless you're heavily using Norse/Irish/Scottish/Italian retinues.

None of these require cultural leaders, they are purely based upon troop type. I'm absolutely salivating over that Crushing Charge tactic, that is going to be amazing when it fires off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SeaTard posted:

Crushing Charge can trigger in the center during the skirmish phase for war elephants or knights, and changes the phase to melee, giving knights 5 offensive, and elephants 10. If at all possible, put all your elephants/knights into the center, because this is a ridiculous multiplier. Having at least 5% elephants and a 12 martial leader will make this 20x more likely to fire. If you have 40% knights and an 18! martial leader it'll be 8x more likely, but that's not going to happen all too often.

Well, here comes THE tactic to deal with the Mongols. Both Cataphract and Knight retinue fulfill the 40% heavy cavalry requirement, and gone are the days that the Mongols can keep the battle in the skirmish phase forever.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Honestly I'm not sure what the definitive "end date" for the CK2 time period would have to be. CK2's feudal mechanics continue to be pretty relevant for a large part of EU4's history. There's the burgundian inheritance, the Ottoman conquest of the Mamluks, a bunch of Habsburg inheritances, Cortéz's insinuation into Aztec royalty, the hundred years' war, the various kings of France pacifying their nobles through consolidation at Versailles, the Sengoku Jidai and the ensuing Tokugawa shogunate, the establishment of the Qing dynasty, Timur's legacy, etc. that all would benefit from CK2's interpersonal mechanics system.

Torrannor posted:

Well, here comes THE tactic to deal with the Mongols. Both Cataphract and Knight retinue fulfill the 40% heavy cavalry requirement, and gone are the days that the Mongols can keep the battle in the skirmish phase forever.
This seems silly; there's no way heavily armored knights or war elephants would be able to catch mongol horsemen with any kind of reliability.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dibujante posted:

Honestly I'm not sure what the definitive "end date" for the CK2 time period would have to be. CK2's feudal mechanics continue to be pretty relevant for a large part of EU4's history. There's the burgundian inheritance, the Ottoman conquest of the Mamluks, a bunch of Habsburg inheritances, Cortéz's insinuation into Aztec royalty, the hundred years' war, the various kings of France pacifying their nobles through consolidation at Versailles, the Sengoku Jidai and the ensuing Tokugawa shogunate, the establishment of the Qing dynasty, Timur's legacy, etc. that all would benefit from CK2's interpersonal mechanics system.

This seems silly; there's no way heavily armored knights or war elephants would be able to catch mongol horsemen with any kind of reliability.

I guess the idea was to simulate cavalry getting a flanking charge on foot archers and running them down. But I won't complain about any new tactics to beat the mongols, for sure.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dibujante posted:

I would say a good hundred years could be added to it and it would still be fun. Maybe even into the Reformation. However past a certain point there'd be little point in playing as a count or duke as authority became more centralized and there'd be far less to do if you weren't leading an entire country.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Have any bugs/quirks been discovered so far?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Drone posted:

I've yet to play since the patch/get the expansion, but apparently they made some "major optimization improvements."

They also added a shitload of provinces so despite the engine improvements the game should run at the same speed or a bit slower than before, if I read the release notes right.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It can trigger with only 20% knights, but unless you also have that 18 martial leader, 40% won't help. The main boost to chance is if you can get some war elephants in there, because you only need 5% and 12 martial for that. Unfortunately you only get 30 per retinue, which pretty much means your center will be pure cultural retinues.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Have any bugs/quirks been discovered so far?

I played about an hour and a half or so and the only bugs I had were the random free achievement I posted about earlier and a tiger hunt where I opted to attack the tiger myself and got a failure event where the tiger ran off into the jungle and escaped, costing me prestige, followed immediately by an event where I killed the tiger and everyone thought I was super cool. Not a follow-up event where I chased the tiger or anything, just that attacking the tiger had a chance of success or failure and I got the event for both. Nothing major like the constantly revolting vassals turning every kingdom into elective from SoA.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Steam is absolutely making GBS threads the bed. :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So 2 out of the 3 new Indian religions completely negate the caste system?

Also what are the branches like for religions?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fellblade posted:

Steam is absolutely making GBS threads the bed. :(

Yeah same, I was wondering if it was just me. It took me about half an hour to buy the DLC on sale, then it didn't show up in my library so I decided to restart and now it's not even launching :geno:

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
"Man, wounded is pretty broken in the ruler designer, -15 points for a trait that goes away on its own and leaves behind another decent trait."

*Dies of infected wound within a year.*

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Rajas of India is the top seller on steam right now!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Earwicker posted:

Well a map of all of Eurasia would be great and maybe all of Africa. I don't think nearly enough is known about what was going on in the Americas in this time period for it to be possible to set part of CK2 there.

It's unfortunate, because yeah, we know very little about American history at that point, there'd have to be an obscene amount of straight up made up characters/dynasties etc. but the CK II model focusing on interpersonal relationships would work so well with the Altepetl citystates of Mesoamerica.

I'd also love to see a mod or expansion to Southeast Asia, for the same reason with their 'Mandala' political system.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

So 2 out of the 3 new Indian religions completely negate the caste system?

Also what are the branches like for religions?

Here's my quick rundown on the new Indian religions:

Caste system only matters for Hindus.
All of them get Subjugation CBs for a huge Piety cost (-500) on neighbors in India.
All can designate heirs.
Jains don't get Holy War CBs. Buddhists get limited Holy Wars, Hindus get normal Holy War CBs.
Buddhists get +4 Learning as their special bonus. Jains get +30 opinion with all their vassals and lower chance of province revolts.

As far as the different branches, there are 4 for Hinduism and Buddhism and 2 for Jains. Stuff like +5 Vassal Opinion, +1 Health, + a small amount of prestige/piety, +1 Learning at the cost of worsened relations with characters with opposing traits to yours.

Edit: as far as I can tell by tooltips, the Jain revolt risk seems to only apply to other religions and not to different culture. For example, Hindu provinces held by a Jain ruler don't get a revolt risk for being the wrong religion.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 25, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

It would honestly be pretty funny to play as a hindu and have literally the entire world outside of India as a valid holy war target.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

All of them get Subjugation CBs for a huge Piety cost (-500) on neighbors in India.

Worth noting that this only applies to rulers in the same culture group as you.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Any recommended starting points to learn the ropes in Rajas? I had some basic knowledge of European history to fall back on for the rest of the map but this is all new to me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The tooltips say that it's very difficult (for Buddhists? didn't try any others) to change province religions in India since they're all so similar.

Also there was no way to designate my heir despite being a Buddhist king and the Buddhism tooltip saying that should be a thing I can do but whatever, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Glokta posted:

Any recommended starting points to learn the ropes in Rajas? I had some basic knowledge of European history to fall back on for the rest of the map but this is all new to me.

Well, you have three good-sized kingdoms for each religion: Pratihara (Hindu), Rashtakutra (Jain), and Pala (Buddhist). They all get war elephants and the same cultural buildings and retinues, the main differences are religion and starting position. Hindus will expand the fastest because they can Holy War, Buddhists will tech quickly and Jains have a harder time expanding due to lack of Holy Wars but will be very stable.

Edit:

Sheep posted:

The tooltips say that it's very difficult (for Buddhists? didn't try any others) to change province religions in India since they're all so similar.

Also there was no way to designate my heir despite being a Buddhist king and the Buddhism tooltip saying that should be a thing I can do but whatever, go figure.

I think it's just very hard for the three Indian religions to convert each other, just like unreformed Pagans get a penalty. That's one reason being Jain is nice because it reduces province revolt risk for being off-religion and gives opinion bonuses to help keep Hindu vassals happy.

I think you probably need Primogeniture to designate heirs, it doesn't appear to work with Gavelkind anyway. I haven't gotten that far yet, I suppose I could test in console. Gimme a couple.

Edit2: I think Primogeniture succession might be straight broken, at least for Indian religions. I used the allow_laws console command to try to tinker with the different options and see how they worked with the designate heir mechanic, but I'm unable to switch to Primogeniture even though the option is available. I don't see a way to designate heirs with Gavelkind or Ultimogeniture, the only other two options.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 25, 2014

• Locked thread