Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mister Speaker posted:

I was playing a bunch of deep house (not my usual bag) at my last gig, and a girl came up all flirty and specifically asked for some "sexy hip-hop", so I searched through by tempo and found a Wiz Khalifa track that was somewhere around 122BPM, spun-back and mixed from there. So yeah, it's good to have a bag of stuff that's organized by tempo that you can use to switch out of your 'deep head' poo poo. Bonus points if you're on point with a looper/other DJ effects and can get right back into a steady mixing tempo while making the crowd go 'whoa'.

Yah this is basically what I want to do. I want to also mix Usher's "Climax" in somewhere in there. If anyone knows a good housey rendition of that track, bonus points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

an skeleton posted:

Yah this is basically what I want to do. I want to also mix Usher's "Climax" in somewhere in there. If anyone knows a good housey rendition of that track, bonus points.

I got your back.

http://soundcloud.com/justkiddin/usher-climax-just-kiddin-remix

Although the original is so good - and mixable - that I went through a long phase of playing it in otherwise fairly underground sets.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Anae posted:

I got your back.

http://soundcloud.com/justkiddin/usher-climax-just-kiddin-remix

Although the original is so good - and mixable - that I went through a long phase of playing it in otherwise fairly underground sets.

Sweet-- that dude has lots of other good tunes as well. Gonna have a time deciding between that and the original.

What's y'alls personal rules for playing multiple songs by the same artist? Never? Sometimes?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

an skeleton posted:

What's y'alls personal rules for playing multiple songs by the same artist?

Just throw some other poo poo in between.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Harley C posted:

This is a crosspost but I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys too!

So I just bought a macbook and I was wondering if there is a way to have a automatic folder sync through local wifi between my music folder on my pc and my music folder on the mac laptop. I intend to use the macbook solely for uni and djing but I still use my main computer to download music so I was looking to minimize the hassle of this. I've been scouring the internet for a few hours but I haven't really found anything that looks promising, just a whole lot of cloud services which I'm not interested in.
Thanks!

Unison? http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ Going between two OSes and different file system types may make it challenging.

Personally I'd just use Dropbox, but...

edit: or rsync. Both of these options require some degree of geek skills.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

an skeleton posted:

Sweet-- that dude has lots of other good tunes as well. Gonna have a time deciding between that and the original.

What's y'alls personal rules for playing multiple songs by the same artist? Never? Sometimes?

Never play a song by the same artist right after another. Generally at least 2-3 songs as filler.

Strong avoid following an artist's song with a remix by them, but remixes make things fuzzy and it can work both with (BT remix) -> BT song and BT song -> BT song (Armin remix). That's a super special case though and I ordinarily avoid this too.

Try to avoid playing more than 2-3 songs by one artist in an hour including remixes; it starts feeling like you're just playing an album by them.

I bend these rules all the time of course, like very occasionally it's fun to drop the same song but a different remix on top of itself, or two songs by the same artist which sound nothing alike to effect a genre transition. Know what the rules are, know when you're breaking them, and have a specific reason to do so.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

fordan posted:

Unison? http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ Going between two OSes and different file system types may make it challenging.

Personally I'd just use Dropbox, but...

edit: or rsync. Both of these options require some degree of geek skills.
Thanks for your help!

In the macbook thread someone posted a really good program that does similar stuff called bit torrent sync, so if anyone else has this problem I'd suggest using that!

Also to the same song question, only if the two songs are different versions of trapped in the closet by r kelly.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So here's kind of a potentially stupid question, from someone just trying to learn DJing for the first time. I've been watching a lot of tutorials and such, and messing around some to try and wrap my head around it. I can see how a lot of electronic music and such can be mixed fairly easily, with how well they break down into discrete parts.

Like, when I'm not messing around with this stuff, I often end up listening to metal and its ilk. And that certainly doesn't mix as...Cleanly, I guess you could say, as some of the other stuff out there, from what little I've experimented. Any advice on trying to mix metal, or other genres that you don't usually see mixed, or am I just trying to get blood out of a stone here?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Nowadays most music is recorded to click tracks, so you are going to get better results from newer songs than older songs. Not metal, but look for something Z-Trip and Cut Chemist did live at the Future Primitive, it's a sort of rock/rap/turntablism thing and might give you ideas.

My friend would juggle two copies of a metal record when trying to get everyone to leave at the end of the night.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bad day posted:

Not metal, but look for something Z-Trip and Cut Chemist did live at the Future Primitive, it's a sort of rock/rap/turntablism thing and might give you ideas.
That's "Live at the Future Primitive Sound Session vol 2" with him and DJ radar and it is impressive but it's also two incredible DJs on 4 turntables who practiced together a lot so your results may vary. Z-Trip did some other interesting stuff, look at "Rockstar" and "Rockstar II" he did for Return of the DJ compilations which are more metal-oriented and the "Uneasy Listening" and "Best Friends" mixtapes, [both from before mashups were really A Thing].

Sidenote: Even if you're not that into turntablism I think stuff like the Return of the DJ or Deep Concentration compilations can be great for ideas [or jacking beats].

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah my bad, I used to have two Live at the Future Primitive CDs. One was Z-Trip & Radar, the other was Cut Chemist, I think. Great stuff though. It's worth digging around for remixes by Z-Trip, he utilized sampling in really clever ways and uses a lot of old hip-hop sounds in his remix work.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

an skeleton posted:

anytime i've ever dropped the flosstradamus remix of climax, the bumpin' n grindin level goes from normal to almost daggering mode because the girls get so into it. basically everyone will have sex on the dance floor, i know its not house tempo but man do they love it.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

baltimoron posted:

anytime i've ever dropped the flosstradamus remix of climax, the bumpin' n grindin level goes from normal to almost daggering mode because the girls get so into it. basically everyone will have sex on the dance floor, i know its not house tempo but man do they love it.

That's awesome. I'm trying to put together a list of good trap music, because I really can't tolerate the whole...

1) Cheesy rap beat.
2) High pass filter gets applied to cheesy rap beat, until you can't hear it anymore.
3) Inception style bass boom.
4) WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMPWOMPWOMPWOMPWOMPWOMP BOOOOOOOMMMMM wamp... wamp... wamp... wamp... wamp... wamp... wamp... *BOOOOOMMMMMMM*

Danny Brown's music is somewhere on the fence between rap and trap, which I really like.

Smokin n Drinkin
Dip

If anyone has any trap to add, I'd appreciate it. I really hope that genre can "get it together" so it can be something more than bros/bass bunnys, PLUR crap and the ketamine krowd.

Yalborap posted:

So here's kind of a potentially stupid question, from someone just trying to learn DJing for the first time. I've been watching a lot of tutorials and such, and messing around some to try and wrap my head around it. I can see how a lot of electronic music and such can be mixed fairly easily, with how well they break down into discrete parts.

Like, when I'm not messing around with this stuff, I often end up listening to metal and its ilk. And that certainly doesn't mix as...Cleanly, I guess you could say, as some of the other stuff out there, from what little I've experimented. Any advice on trying to mix metal, or other genres that you don't usually see mixed, or am I just trying to get blood out of a stone here?

What type of metal? Any examples? I feel like it really depends on the drummer(s). Amon Amarth songs have a relatively distinguishable tempo. I was able to somewhat match up Death in Fire and Pursuit of Vikings through two YouTube browser tabs.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 24, 2014

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

baltimoron posted:

What kind of scene is this goin down in? I cant possibly imagine this tune working for any crowd ive ever played for. Ive been wrong before though.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

oredun posted:

What kind of scene is this goin down in? I cant possibly imagine this tune working for any crowd ive ever played for. Ive been wrong before though.

Kids who like EDM stuff but also like rap music that isn't young thug. But gently caress them I still play young thug.

Champ Baldoon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 24, 2014

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

baltimoron posted:

Kids who like EDM stuff but also like rap music that isn't young thug. But gently caress them I still play young thug.

This is me. Young thug all day

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

baltimoron posted:

What are you talking about, I live in Australia and people drop 2 cups stuffed regularly at trap events.

To start off with trap look on /r/trap (yeah reddit but this sub is decent and has massive compilation lists/downloads) and also trap compilations by ministry of sound, ect.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Harley C posted:

What are you talking about, I live in Australia and people drop 2 cups stuffed regularly at trap events.

To start off with trap look on /r/trap (yeah reddit but this sub is decent and has massive compilation lists/downloads) and also trap compilations by ministry of sound, ect.

I think he is saying that his particular group of kids doesn't like Young Thug, but like most other EDM/Rap. I can easily imagine this being the case, but FTPYT (gently caress Them Play Young Thug)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The best trap artists are UZ & CRNKN.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

bad day posted:

Best 100~ bpm twerk artists maybe (so yes)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It seems to me that trap, dubstep, twerk, and jersey club are essentially the same kind of music with some basic structural differences. Most artists who do one dabble in another, and they are generally in the same bpm range.

For example I really like everything I've heard from CRNKN but their Adventure Time remix is dubstep, their Major Lazer remix is Trap, and their ep with Must Die! is like hyperdub anime music. All of them mix well with the same styles. I want to find more from that guy/guys but I can only seem to find/buy about seven tracks, all of them great.

Yellow Claw is another one like that. Lots of twerk, a few trap songs, a buncha dubstep.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I refuse to accept that 'Twerk' is a genre. It's just 'Trap' to me.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

bad day posted:

It seems to me that trap, dubstep, twerk, and jersey club are essentially the same kind of music with some basic structural differences. Most artists who do one dabble in another, and they are generally in the same bpm range.

Yeah but that is like calling all rap music, rap. You can do it and it is logical but your crates would suck for utility.

Also this guy is whats up https://soundcloud.com/ianmunro

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I gotta admit, I forgot how good Reddit is (strictly) for music.

bad day posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for this.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

cname posted:

I gotta admit, I forgot how good Reddit is (strictly) for music.

This reminds me. If any of you on here are into proper headsy house music, /r/truehouse is an unbelievably amazing resource of absolute gold.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

bad day posted:

Unless you're me and mix dubstep in with trance at 140bpm. Dubstep is a pretty broad genre.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Mister Speaker posted:

I refuse to accept that 'Twerk' is a genre. It's just 'Trap' to me.

Most of the time it's just NOLA bounce which is 25 years old at this point. More or less. If it has those fast claps and a few drum fills at least.

It certainly isn't trap though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You say potato, I say potato. What's great about the subjectivity of some of these genres is it feeds spontaneity and creativity - no two DJs have the same mixing style and I think how they treat their playlists and naming conventions lends heavily to that. I try to juggle as few names for genres in my head, 'cause what happens when the fad dies and I'm left with less than a dozen 'Twerkstep' tracks that get lost in the shuffle and never played again? For me it adds to the enjoyment (and how well I actually memorize my library beyond 'search by genre') to simplify things organizationally. To each his own; it's still Trap to me though.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

an skeleton posted:

One of my more popular mixes has one in four tracks touched by the same guy (healthy mixture of remixes and originals). It works well sometimes, so I don't think you should put up any barriers against it, but definitely stay cautious, especially if the tracks sound extremely similar.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
It is time for headphone recommendations. I've been using Pioneer HDJ1000's for over a year and they both cracked and broke at the same place on both sides. What do you guys use?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I still love my (cracked, glued and taped) HDJ2000s but my go-to cans are now V-Moda Crossfade LPs. Loads of bass, and they cup completely over your ears which I find not only better for isolation but much more comfortable for long periods of time - like the kind of cans you'd wear sitting in a beanbag chair listening to Dark Side of the Moon. Plus they come with a nice softshell case and two braided cables (one with a mic and volume control), and you can get them in different colours, or with your own logo on them, if you're a douchebag. My only gripe is that wearing around my neck, they tend to irritate my collarbone a bit - but when I'm not monitoring they're on my hat so that's not an issue.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

The HDJ-2000 is expensive (it's Pioneer stuff so what do you expect) but they're worth every penny IMO

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Gonna toss out a big recommendation for Traktor DJ for iPhone. It has every function one would ever need for testing out music and dicking around without a real setup. It's really great for when you're listening to music on your phone and think "Awww, this would mix really well with that! I wish I could fiddle around and see how they sound together!"

Auto sync sounds fantastic and the looping function is amazing.

Features
-4 Hot cues per deck (2 decks, no more/no less)
-Delay, Flanger, Gater, Reverb effects (that I never really use)
-Low, Mid, High EQ levels
-High/Low pass filter

In looking at screenshots for the iPad app, I'm pretty sure they have the same functions. The iPad app has more robust views and a bit better of a look, however I'm not seeing much difference.

I've tried every DJ app in the app store. The rest are pretty much throwaway toys for people who wanna scratch on their phone, then realize scratching isn't that easy, delete.

I'm happy to have spent $2 on this. Despite having my full setup at home, it's great being able to experiment with music when I have free time on public transit or I'm waiting for someone.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 26, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
AlgoRiddim's DJay app isn't bad for testing transitions (even on an iPhone), but you pretty much have to ignore its tempo analysis and sync feature, and use the +/- bend.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Crunchtime posted:

It is time for headphone recommendations. I've been using Pioneer HDJ1000's for over a year and they both cracked and broke at the same place on both sides. What do you guys use?

In ears mainly because of them having the best isolation for cueing tracks. Also means I don't need to have them cranked as much as regular 'phones.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

88h88 posted:

In ears mainly because of them having the best isolation for cueing tracks. Also means I don't need to have them cranked as much as regular 'phones.

What are some good in ears?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

an skeleton posted:

What are some good in ears?

Etymotic ER-4s

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

dj bobby bieber posted:

Etymotic ER-4s

I have an Etymotic headset and can confirm that it is awesome. Don't use it for DJing though

Worthwhile to get the custom molded tips if you choose to go that route

e: http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 28, 2014

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Yalborap posted:

I used to play EBM at a goth club and spent a lot of time in metal and goth clubs as a teen and the first guy to teach me how to mix that style of alternative music literally said 'leave the crossfader in the middle and move the volume of your channels up and down as needed'. He would even burn his music to two CDs ('left' and 'right') so he could play a set without switching CDs at any point. Most metal / goth / punk DJs in my local scene are content to let the first song play almost to the end and bring up the second song as they take the volume down on the first. I'm sure there are people who lovingly craft intricate mixes and sets out of the most disagreeable Dragonforce style tunes but most metalheads just want to hear the music they like and don't care how you get it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I was listening to vanilla slimfast's Beta set yesterday and it inspired me to find out ways I can live stream my practice sessions/performances. I thought this would be a lot more well documented online, but I can't seem to find too much in the way of broadcasting with Serato on a Mac.

I know there's that site Mixify which is a nice all-in-one package (though for most features you need to pay) but I'm wondering what possibilities are out there for relaying a stream to a server and having people tune in from there. I could use something like Icecast but I'd prefer if listeners connected to someplace rather than my home network. Doing it over Twitch would be ideal. Most of Twitch's tutorials take you through setting up live streaming of games though.