Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
While we're on this topic, since I'm really pushing myself to actually do some performing with this gear - anybody have any experience using a pedalboard for gear like mine? Most of the time I'll probably run a simplified setup that terminates with a stereo output from my A10, but it's still a lot of RCA, 1/4", MIDI and AC cables to deal with and I hate being 'that guy' pulling/plugging cables in the middle of some poor sap's DJ set. I've noticed a lot of these pedalboards come with power outlets, and frankly the ease of having everything in the same place and wired ready-to-go is hell of appealing to me. I'd need to find a pedalboard big enough, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I bought this while I was on vacation about two weeks ago now.

http://imgur.com/3PaRGB7

It's used and has a few dings and scratches but man does it sound wonderful. It's the most comfortable guitar I own right now, and it kicks the poo poo out of my crappy little Squire Bullet and my warped neck ESP.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 26, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Agreed posted:

So many control surfaces surely you could spare just one to a pauper who can only seem to get a shitload of pedals at will right? I have two feet what am I going to do here

I only see one control surface in that picture, in the form of an APC40. The rest are a drum machine, bass synth, dj mixer and kaoss pad. I suppose the Traktor control is also a control surface, albeit one with nothing but buttons.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Mister Speaker posted:

While we're on this topic, since I'm really pushing myself to actually do some performing with this gear - anybody have any experience using a pedalboard for gear like mine? Most of the time I'll probably run a simplified setup that terminates with a stereo output from my A10, but it's still a lot of RCA, 1/4", MIDI and AC cables to deal with and I hate being 'that guy' pulling/plugging cables in the middle of some poor sap's DJ set. I've noticed a lot of these pedalboards come with power outlets, and frankly the ease of having everything in the same place and wired ready-to-go is hell of appealing to me. I'd need to find a pedalboard big enough, though.

While I haven't used a pedalboard for this, I've had a few as a guitarist. I've had everything from homemade to store bought. For how big you would need would either be hard to find or really expensive (depends on what in your photo you'd put on the board). You may be better off building something, and having it set up so you can just plug your audio out and power in and you're good to go. Though it really depends on how big you're talking. Also, some pedalboards are often raised in the back a bit and are slanted, in case that's something you don't want.

e: Also most pedalboard power is 9V and tends to come in guitar-pedal sized barrels for power, so if your machines run off something different a pedalboard with power may not be that useful either.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking about doing some carpentry, yeah. Thanks for the insight! I guess the important thing is to buy some male/female Velcro and just stick the gear to it that way?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking about doing some carpentry, yeah. Thanks for the insight! I guess the important thing is to buy some male/female Velcro and just stick the gear to it that way?

Yep. Good timing, I was just putting velcro on two pedals I built to put them on my board.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

no dad im not gay! posted:

Gonna have to get a new jack. Sorry.

If you have no experience soldering on PCB take it to a professional. Lifted pads or burnt traces are no fun to jump.

A decent tech should be able to sort it for $20-30 and an hour at most.

I figured as much. Thanks!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I got an EP booster in the mail today thanks to Iostream. It's awesome, it honestly completes my sound:

I also bought a couple snakes to clean up the rack in my studio, it's hard to tell but it's much more organized back there now:

Front shot, including my recently acquired RME Fireface 800:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EP Boosters are so nice. It took me a few days to understand it but now it's an always on pedal. Those things are magic. Don't forget to open it up and check out the internal switches!

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Guess what I'm (sloppily) making!

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

EP Boosters are so nice. It took me a few days to understand it but now it's an always on pedal. Those things are magic. Don't forget to open it up and check out the internal switches!

Absolutely. Feels like I've lifted a blanket off my AC30 when it's on.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Absolutely. Feels like I've lifted a blanket off my AC30 when it's on.

I normally hate describing sound in silly terms like depth!!! and sparkle!!! but that's exactly what comes to mind. It's like there's a tiny little sound gnome in the pedal finely adjusting your tone until it sounds beautifully complex without losing any focus, actually enhancing the punchiness. I can leave it at noon and everything sounds better, clean to pure fuzz.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I was intrigued by the discussion of these pedals so I looked them up on Ebay. Found one that will ship to me for $40!

No chance it's counterfeit, right? :v:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Trig Discipline posted:

I was intrigued by the discussion of these pedals so I looked them up on Ebay. Found one that will ship to me for $40!

No chance it's counterfeit, right? :v:

Seems legit

On the reals though, there really is no reason to turn it off. The way mine came set tames some of the harshness that Tele -> Princeton is pretty susceptible to.

I'm thinking I need to move the Algal Bloom first in line though, I'm not sure it's supposed to be getting hit with a low impedance signal.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
In 2012 at Sled Island I caught Black Mastiff opening for Boris and took a look at Bob's pedal configuration. This thing caught my eye:

I finally ordered one and it came in a couple days ago. Into my Garnet Pro 200 Super it sounds like absolute rear end. I can't figure out what the deal is with that amp; it's got a great distortion tone on its own but if you try to augment it with anything else it just turns to poo poo.

Then I tried it through my Ampeg V3 and HOLY poo poo does it ever haul. It's the most musical fuzz I've ever played. Thumbs way the hell up for sure. Anyone else have any of the other Way Huge pedals they can offer an opinion of? Because I'd really be interested in hearing how the rest of their line stacks up in comparison to this one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Green Rhino is absolutely vicious and can cover a ton of various ODs but with the GR crunch keeping it distinct as it's own sound. One of the few dirt pedals that works well with my OR15 too. It's similarly picky.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I normally hate describing sound in silly terms like depth!!! and sparkle!!! but that's exactly what comes to mind. It's like there's a tiny little sound gnome in the pedal finely adjusting your tone until it sounds beautifully complex without losing any focus, actually enhancing the punchiness. I can leave it at noon and everything sounds better, clean to pure fuzz.

Absolutely. For a long time I was adverse to having an "on all the time" pedal because I spent so long trying to get an AC30 and found one that was not only ideal (AC30TB model), but also had the right speakers (Celstion Alnico Blues) and NOS tubes (Yugoslavian Ei power and preamp tubes throughout) in it already. Why should I need to use an effect to affect such a perfect clean tone? But no, the EP booster just pushes even more of a low-mid grunt to compliment the midrange jangle. It makes it sound bigger and more complex, as you said.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Absolutely. For a long time I was adverse to having an "on all the time" pedal because I spent so long trying to get an AC30 and found one that was not only ideal (AC30TB model), but also had the right speakers (Celstion Alnico Blues) and NOS tubes (Yugoslavian Ei power and preamp tubes throughout) in it already. Why should I need to use an effect to affect such a perfect clean tone? But no, the EP booster just pushes even more of a low-mid grunt to compliment the midrange jangle. It makes it sound bigger and more complex, as you said.

I always thought of a good booster like cornstarch. You add it to a thin soup and suddenly, you're eating stew.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

uncle spero posted:

I always thought of a good booster like cornstarch. You add it to a thin soup and suddenly, you're eating stew.

That's one way to do it. I've used distortion pedals as boosts by dumping the gain and cranking up the volume and it makes it tighter, more compressed, and cuts through the mix better than just adding dBs

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Best pedal I've ever bought. Expensive, but worth it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Volca Keys. It's awesome

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

JustAwful posted:

Best pedal I've ever bought. Expensive, but worth it.

I love my little boost as well. :)

Picked up this custom order pedal box, two Planet Waves solderless kits, and a Boss DD6 for $200 today. The pedal box is completely lined with velco and the front and top come off. Custom ordered from Penn Fabrication

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just won two Peavey PVM 480 supercardioid condensers with cases, keys for the locks, windscreens, and XLR cables, on eBay, for a whopping $41 each. The price these things go for is criminal.

I haven't been happy in my current recording setup with what I've been getting from top/bottom snare so that's where they're about to find themselves.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Handen posted:

In 2012 at Sled Island I caught Black Mastiff opening for Boris and took a look at Bob's pedal configuration. This thing caught my eye:

I finally ordered one and it came in a couple days ago. Into my Garnet Pro 200 Super it sounds like absolute rear end. I can't figure out what the deal is with that amp; it's got a great distortion tone on its own but if you try to augment it with anything else it just turns to poo poo.

Then I tried it through my Ampeg V3 and HOLY poo poo does it ever haul. It's the most musical fuzz I've ever played. Thumbs way the hell up for sure. Anyone else have any of the other Way Huge pedals they can offer an opinion of? Because I'd really be interested in hearing how the rest of their line stacks up in comparison to this one.
Similar to what people were saying about the EP Booster, there are some further knobs inside the pedal for tweaking, in case you didn't know.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

I need to stop buying guitars. Though I feel like I'm set now.

A local guy wanted to trade his Classic Vibes Jazzmaster for $100 and one of my SHO clones. I checked it out, and jumped on the deal. Bridge buzzes a bit (it is a JM, I'm replacing it) and the original owner never even took the plastic off of the pickguard, and thought that is just looked weird.

I'm seriously debating a tort pickguard for it

And the family of electrics (I swear I'm done I feel the GAS fading)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

booshi posted:

A local guy wanted to trade his Classic Vibes Jazzmaster for $100 and one of my SHO clones. I checked it out, and jumped on the deal. Bridge buzzes a bit (it is a JM, I'm replacing it) and the original owner never even took the plastic off of the pickguard, and thought that is just looked weird.

I'm seriously debating a tort pickguard for it

And the family of electrics (I swear I'm done I feel the GAS fading)

If you put a faux-tort pickguard on that, god will punish you and continue for ten generations. You will be forever unclean.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dude, there's a reason "Needs more tort" is the most repeated phrase on the OSG forums.

That said, sonic blue looks cooler with a goldguard than tort

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Okay okay, no tort, but I really would like a pickguard that isn't white (but I do like the white on the Agile LP and the Tele)

e: I also need to stop posing my guitars in front of a naked baby photo.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Agreed posted:

If you put a faux-tort pickguard on that, god will punish you and continue for ten generations. You will be forever unclean.
He left the pickguard and poker chip on his LP. This one is already lost to us.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Tort gets a bad rap because of the poo poo that Fender uses these days, even on $4k custom shop guitars. There's a big difference between this and this:

There's one guy who makes realistic-looking ones (Spitfire) but they cost more than booshi paid for that guitar.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

iostream.h posted:

He left the pickguard and poker chip on his LP. This one is already lost to us.

I've been planning on flipping the poker chip at least, since the writing looks dumb. I had them off when I was swapping the pickups and electronics and it looked kind of goofy to me. Then again, it shows more of the finish that I like.

Gold looks like a good option for the JM pickguard though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gold anodized is a pro pickguard choice.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just some inspiration:

Just a word of caution, the Squier J Mascis goldguard is a vibrant looking goldguard it looks kinda like the one in the first picture so just letting you know. That said, most other ones should look more like the second or last picture, so if you like a certain colour better than the other just be careful.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

I like the non-mirror looking gold, almost like a brushed look I think I've seen.

e: Maybe something like this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

booshi posted:

I like the non-mirror looking gold, almost like a brushed look I think I've seen.

e: Maybe something like this

Yeah, that's an anodized pickguard. They cost a bit more but they don't show fingerprints and tend to be indestructable

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Been looking for a cheapass guitar to mess around with for a while and recently won this on eBay from a shop in Nashville:

It's a "customized" Teisco Tulip; new paint (well, not original anyway, it's seen some wear), Lace P90 pickups, new bridge and tailpiece/tremolo. The pickguard, as you can kinda see in the pic, was roughly cut to fit and the edges aren't even finished or sanded down; I've already got a replacement on the way (a genuine one, actually, with the floral scrollwork). Taking it to a shop tomorrow to be set up and given a once-over for any major problems.

The neck isn't original, though, and I'm not sure what it's from. Anyone recognize it? I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut the original headstock into a different shape and slapped their shop logo on there.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Going to be the dissenting voice and say that light blue JMs look best with white pick guards

I've never seen a light blue on with a black pick guard though...

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

booshi posted:

Heyy, same guitar buddies. If yours looks anything like mine in person (i.e way more green than pale blue) then a heavy mint green might look pretty cool.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Mint green on sonic blue is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard

I'm too broke to actually keep it. Plus I can't seem to bond with LP's. Got it new for $1299. I'll probably be lazy and sell it fast for a lovely profit.