Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Frannie was a loving terrible character and I pretty much skip the parts of The Stand where she plays a big role.

Honestly the only parts I seem to go back and read are Flagg's, Harold after he turns and Trashcan Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Frannie was a loving terrible character and I pretty much skip the parts of The Stand where she plays a big role.

Honestly the only parts I seem to go back and read are Flagg's, Harold after he turns and Trashcan Man.

The first quarter, minus the Frannie chapters, is my favorite part of the book. No great loss...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

No great loss...

Since they're planning to split The Stand into two or three movies, I thought it'd be perfect if they start the first movie with a HUGE cast. I mean, every character that's mentioned in the "No great loss" chapter gets introduced as if a possible main character, with recognizable actors in the roles. Then by the end of the first movie, half of the characters are eliminated. By halfway through the second movie, everyone but the main characters are gone. It would make the idea of death become heavier if the audience (minus those who've read the book) don't know who's gonna stay and who's gonna go. I think it would really drive home the point that just because you survive the plague doesn't mean you'll survive.

It's the only way I can think of the "No great loss" chapter being in the movie and having any gravity. Plus, the scene with the child falling in the well would be a gut punch to the audience and the scene with the woman getting locked in the freezer could be darkly funny.

That said, I would love to see a new movie of The Stand, but I don't think it can match anyone's expectations. I think it'll be like the Watchmen movie: a good director filming a dense source material that has a huge following, only to disappoint the fans, confuse the audience, and miss what makes the source material so great.

I hope I'm wrong about that, though. I think it should just be an HBO mini-series or something similar. Give it enough time to spread out the story and explore the characters more. Make 12 one hour episodes instead of 9 hours cut in three. I mean, I don't think the general audience would embrace a scene with Nadine getting raped by dragon-demon Flagg in theaters, but in an HBO series that takes more time to embrace the weird aspects of the story, it could work better. The weird supernatural things don't start happening until halfway through the story when people start seeing the dreams. And I don't think Hollywood execs. would be down with the Hand of God ending.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If they remake the Stand, it is critical that they get Matt Frewer back for Trashcan Man.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I always thought The Stand was a bit weird about ages. Harold's some kind of supergenius wilderness survival man that the Boulder Free Zone all admire and want on the committee despite being a 16 year old nerd. Fran is a giggling schoolgirl idiot despite being 22, Larry Underwood's having a midlife crisis at 25 and Stu is 30 but is viewed as some kind of wise old man. A bit odd.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I finally finished Doctor Sleep. I really liked it but man the True Knot really sucked.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If they remake the Stand, it is critical that they get Matt Frewer back for Trashcan Man.

My life for you.

I'd love to see The Stand as a miniseries but it probably won't happen, or it would happen like with Under the Dome where they say "miniseries" and then it gets okay ratings so they immediately decide to milk it for all they can.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

In "It", It obviously sent the switchblade to Henry Bowers, but did the name it used ever show up in any of the other books?

I was reading that they are making a movie of "The Ten O'Clock People". While I liked that story, I always thought it seemed like a giant ripoff of "They Live". I would imagine they are going to have to change the movie fairly significantly to avoid the comparison.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You mean bob gray?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

oldpainless posted:

You mean bob gray?

I honestly don't remember, and I could be remembering it wrong.

As I recall, Henry got the switchblade in a package in the mail, complete with a return address. I don't remember what the name was and Google is failing me, but I wasn't sure if it was a name that showed up in any of the other books.

Edit: I found it. Robert Grey was indeed the name. Did that name get used in any of his other books (I know Mr. Gray is the alien in Dreamcatcher).

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I looked it up and he does sign it Mr Robert gray but I'm not seeing the name used in other books. Closest I find is Mr. Gray the alien from dream catcher but that's probably more a reference to gray aliens.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

oldpainless posted:

I looked it up and he does sign it Mr Robert gray but I'm not seeing the name used in other books. Closest I find is Mr. Gray the alien from dream catcher but that's probably more a reference to gray aliens.

There's actually a line in Dreamcatcher that has the alien-in-your-head say "Just call me Mr. Gray. It's a name with a long history around here", or something like that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That plus the "Pennywise Lives" graffiti leads me to suspect that the poster who told me that Dreamcatcher is the spiritual sequel to IT was probably on to something.

Part of me is curious... but then I notice that every time someone mentions Dreamcatcher they inevitably bring up "poo poo weasels" and I'm not sure if I really need to find out what that is a reference to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://www.theweeklings.com/wp-content/uploads/Dreamcatcher-worm-alien.jpg

In the movies, this comes out of a persons rear end.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of IT's "Robert Gray" name, when Bev goes back to her old house that was one of the best slow reveals/horror moments I have ever read. I don't know what it is, but it just flows incredibly well, starting as a completely normal and expected situation just becoming increasingly wrong and off-putting until that one moment where the name comes up, at which point it all climaxes and goes to poo poo.
(Spoiled for those that haven't read it or haven't gotten that far yet.)

I've never been that thrilled before reading a book, literally in the sense that my heart was beating, the adrenaline was pumping and I was actually sort of terrified.

Dreamcatcher might be the next book of his I'm going to read, and luckily I still have a whole lot to get through.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
Pet Semetary. I read it waiting, and waiting for the scary parts that never came. It was draggy and boring. The premise of the story is pretty interesting by itself, but the way it was written was not very engaging to me.

IT and The Stand were the best.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BlueChocolate posted:

Pet Semetary. I read it waiting, and waiting for the scary parts that never came. It was draggy and boring. The premise of the story is pretty interesting by itself, but the way it was written was not very engaging to me.

I'm pretty sure you're going to get a lot of disagreement about this from others in this thread, including me. Pet Semetary is still one of my favourite King books and while for me it's not his scariest, I do think it's his most dreadful book. I posted about this several times already in this thread, each time pretty much repeating myself, so I'll just quote myself here:

Taeke posted:

I've said this before, but for me the scariest bit part about Pet Sematary was the fact that you know exactly what's going to happen. It's like a cheesy horror flick where the one kid goes down to the basement on his own while a slasher demon is out trying to get them. You know exactly what's going to happen, and why it's a bad idea. When reading Pet Sematary, though, it's constantly in the back of your mind that if you were in the same position, even if you knew beforehand your kid is probably going to come back as some undead demon if at all, you'd probably still take chance because what if he's the exception and does come back 'normally'?

I don't even have kids, but still the overwhelming grief and resultant insanity, that tiny spark of hope and the horrific events and outcomes scare the crap out of me because I feel I would probably do the exact same things.

I'll add that the slow evolving of the plot only adds to that sense of dread. If you never had that sense of dread in the first place, it's a slog to get through because it's just about this father reanimating his son which comes back all evil and boo, things predictably go wrong. Which is a lot less direct than his other works. It does rely on the fact that you can emphasize with the father character to a great extent, which doesn't really work unless it does, I guess. I can see how, if you're looking for a more universal terror or a more complex story, it doesn't work for you.

If you don't have children (or a young niece or nephew or something) yet, I'd suggest you give it a try again once they reach that age. Maybe you'll get an entirely different experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Been doing some writing and had a phrase in a story that after rereading it I think I may have plagarized from King. Can anyone tell me if there's a line in one of his books something along the lines of "And so John Doe walked away, into whatever fates await the John Does of the world".

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It's from The Stand. Specifically, it's in the chapter where Larry remembers a fight he had with Rudy Sparks (I think it's just after his mother dies but before he meets Rita Blakemoore).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

With what we know about both It and the aliens from Dreamcatcher, it seems like King's idea of aliens tend to be more beings from another dimension as opposed to just deep space. Its pretty clear that, although It fell to earth similarly to a meteor, its origins are of a different universe all together(King called it the macroverse). I'm not certain, but I don't think there's anything in the descriptions of the aliens in Dreamcatcher that would contradict that interpretation.

The poo poo weasels are also pretty typical of something that would hang around in Todash space, they look like they should be in The Mist.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

3Romeo posted:

It's from The Stand. Specifically, it's in the chapter where Larry remembers a fight he had with Rudy Sparks (I think it's just after his mother dies but before he meets Rita Blakemoore).

gently caress, figured as much. Such a good line.

Thanks.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

regulargonzalez posted:

gently caress, figured as much. Such a good line.

Thanks.

No problem. Remember, though: even if you can't use the exact line, you can still use the sentiment behind it and your response to it, and make it your own.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 26, 2014

Ultimates2
Mar 3, 2009

Get your popcorn ready

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If they started casting The Stand today is there any doubt that Matthew Mcconaughey would be Stu Redman?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any doubt that Jonah Hill would be Harold?

I actually thought of Clark Duke as Harold during my first time reading The Stand.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think Jonah Hill would a better choice, although I haven't seen Clark Duke play any really unlikable characters yet. I think Jonah could pull off the disgusting/creepy vibe really well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While that's true, Clark Duke looks much younger, and I'd realy like to see him act in a more serious role.

Jonah Hill, so far, is the better actor, but he looks every bit of late 20's early 30's now

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

While that's true, Clark Duke looks much younger, and I'd realy like to see him act in a more serious role.

Jonah Hill, so far, is the better actor, but he looks every bit of late 20's early 30's now

Bradley cooper as Stu Redmond, Ed Helms as Larry Underwood, and Zach Galifinakis as Tom Cullen.

Justin Bartha as Nick, I guess.

Ken Jeong as Harold.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Franchescanado posted:

Casting Parker Lewis Can't Lose as Harold in the mini-series was awful.

Also I agree Matthew Mcconaughey was born to play Texan Stu Redman.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as the Walkin' Dude? :v:

Ultimates2
Mar 3, 2009

Get your popcorn ready
Robin Thicke as Larry Underwood.

Baby Can You Dig Your Man becomes the new Blurred Lines, is played non stop at bars for the next 5 years.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taeke posted:

If you don't have children (or a young niece or nephew or something) yet, I'd suggest you give it a try again once they reach that age. Maybe you'll get an entirely different experience.

I'd second this for Pet Semetary. I read it at 14 and while it was scary, I found the playground scene in The Shining much scarier (those moving hedge animals and whatever was at the other end of the tunnel :gonk:)

I read Pet Semetary again recently, with the 6-year old niece sleeping in the next room and the part at which King describes how Gabe's life could have played out, and then slams the reader back into brutal reality paralyzed me. The grinding, bleak inevitability of it all as it leads up to the climax is masterful. It's as much a tragedy as it is a horror novel, and all the more powerful because of it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Oh, are we casting our imaginary The Stand miniseries/movie now?

As long as Brian Cranston gets to be Flagg, I don't care if someone draws a face on a paper plate in crayon, staples it to a mop, and casts it as Stu.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Oh, are we casting our imaginary The Stand miniseries/movie now?

As long as Brian Cranston gets to be Flagg, I don't care if someone draws a face on a paper plate in crayon, staples it to a mop, and casts it as Stu.

Not saying this is a bad idea, per se, but it seems like lazy typecasting in that everyone wants him as their favorite villain.

He could just as we'll play a father of small children in a remake of Pet Semetary. If you want someone who looks sinister in jeans maybe see if Mitt Romney is up to anything much during the summer.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I'm pretty sure Cranston's schedule is booked solid for the next 10 years.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

syscall girl posted:

Not saying this is a bad idea, per se, but it seems like lazy typecasting in that everyone wants him as their favorite villain.

I can't imagine anyone else who could pull off the cheerful hatefulness of Flagg, except maybe Robert Duvall and he's too old for it now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
How old is Flagg supposed to appear in The Stand? That effects what generation of actors I'd be looking at to cast. If it has to be a guy under 50 that does limit the options.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I honestly thought Jamey Sheridan was one of the few really inspired casting choices for The Stand miniseries. As it has been said before, Stephen King said he wanted that sort hunky-looking guy you'd see on the cover of some cheap trashy romance novel, and Sheridan was like exactly that. And for being an unknown actor who was cast as the big iconic role in a production like that, I thought he did a helluva job especially when so many other well-known actors just mailed it in. Him and Miguel Ferrer were so much more charismatic and likable than most of the good guys that it was almost absurd.

And I would want them to just get Ruby Dee to play Mother Abigail again I mean 20 years later she's even older at freaking 92, still acting (!), still perfect.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 26, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Irisi posted:

whatever was at the other end of the tunnel :gonk:)

That's still the creepiest/scariest part of any book I have read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Call me crazy, but I've always thought of Jack Nicholson as Randall Flagg.