Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, my thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on my 2013 15" rMBP has issues sometimes. Tonight it wouldn't connect, and the port on my switch wouldn't show any lights. I tried rebooting the switch (it's a 5 port net gear switch). No dice. What fixed it was plugging the ethernet cable into a different port on the switch. Is there anyone in here who knows enough about switches and networking to explain how something like this could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

japtor posted:

Kinda confused by the part I bolded there since you mention an iTunes Library too. Do you just mean treating the NAS as dumb file share for whatever types/codecs ("managed and organized" by just manually moving stuff around on a computer) or as the storage for an iTunes Library managed by a computer? Cause the iPhone wouldn't be necessary in the latter case, but could still serve as a fancy smart remote.

If you mean the former then the iPhone 4 might be a bottleneck if you were just going straight from NAS->iPhone->ATV, depending on your files. Like if you had 1080P files, even with hardware decoding it's kinda pushing it with the A4, and for other codecs requiring software decoding I'm guessing 720P is out. That said if you have a computer that can be left on, you can get around that by the computer handling transcoding to whatever the iPhone can handle, i.e. NAS->computer->iPhone->ATV. I use StreamToMe but there's a crapload of apps for that type of thing.
Ya, it's a little weird. You're right, the point is to get a big dumbass file share containing a media, and have the iPhone use it as its media source for Home Sharing (I assume the library files would be stored on the iPhone, which would point at the NAS). Then the ATV would have a library to read (from the iPhone) since the ATV can only read Home Sharing libraries and cannot maintain its own.

Managing the library and adding/removing media would have to be done with a computer connected to the share, of course, but that's OK.

edit: Looking grim. Finally had a chance to see if I could get it to work, but the ATV can't find my iPhone as a home sharing source. Oh well, I guess it will be handy to have an older Mini to gently caress around with.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 22, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

echobucket posted:

So, my thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on my 2013 15" rMBP has issues sometimes. Tonight it wouldn't connect, and the port on my switch wouldn't show any lights. I tried rebooting the switch (it's a 5 port net gear switch). No dice. What fixed it was plugging the ethernet cable into a different port on the switch. Is there anyone in here who knows enough about switches and networking to explain how something like this could happen?

Uh, your switch has a bad port? Did you try plugging a different device into the port that had problems?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

echobucket posted:

Did you try rebooting your Mac? The tb adapter has been somewhat wonky for me at times but a restart fixes it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vas0line posted:

Ya, it's a little weird. You're right, the point is to get a big dumbass file share containing a media, and have the iPhone use it as its media source for Home Sharing (I assume the library files would be stored on the iPhone, which would point at the NAS). Then the ATV would have a library to read (from the iPhone) since the ATV can only read Home Sharing libraries and cannot maintain its own.

Managing the library and adding/removing media would have to be done with a computer connected to the share, of course, but that's OK.

edit: Looking grim. Finally had a chance to see if I could get it to work, but the ATV can't find my iPhone as a home sharing source. Oh well, I guess it will be handy to have an older Mini to gently caress around with.
Yeah you just found out iOS doesn't really do iTunes Library management. It has it's own local stuff and iCloud, you need a computer and iTunes running for what you're planning.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do Apple wireless routers not have an iTunes server in them for home sharing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

Do Apple wireless routers not have an iTunes server in them for home sharing?
Correct. As I said, they're meant to be backup destinations, not full-featured media-streaming NASes. It sucks that Apple doesn't expand the functionality of the Time Capsule, but them's the breaks.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Alright, so, I have a mid-2011 Macbook Air running Mavericks that is awesome. I tried to wake it up from sleep yesterday by opening the laptop, and I was greeted by a black screen with a mouse pointer. The mouse works, I can make the volume go up and down (hearing the clicks as the volume changes), I can turn up and down the keyboard backlight, but I can't see anything on the screen, it's completely black. Mouse works, multitouch seems to work.

When I restart, it goes through what seems to be a normal bootup (Apple logo, welcome noise) then cuts to a black screen with a mouse pointer -- same thing. I've Googled quite a bit and can't find anybody with the same problem. Any ideas?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Moogs posted:

Alright, so, I have a mid-2011 Macbook Air running Mavericks that is awesome. I tried to wake it up from sleep yesterday by opening the laptop, and I was greeted by a black screen with a mouse pointer. The mouse works, I can make the volume go up and down (hearing the clicks as the volume changes), I can turn up and down the keyboard backlight, but I can't see anything on the screen, it's completely black. Mouse works, multitouch seems to work.

When I restart, it goes through what seems to be a normal bootup (Apple logo, welcome noise) then cuts to a black screen with a mouse pointer -- same thing. I've Googled quite a bit and can't find anybody with the same problem. Any ideas?

I assume you've tried to turn up the regular backlight, not just the keyboard backlight?

Try booting into the recovery partition to see if it blackscreens there too. You could also try booting in safe mode.

Also, you might want to try a SMC reset.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

BobHoward posted:

I assume you've tried to turn up the regular backlight, not just the keyboard backlight?

Try booting into the recovery partition to see if it blackscreens there too. You could also try booting in safe mode.

Also, you might want to try a SMC reset.

Yep, regular backlight works too, goes up and down and blacks out and comes back on.

Was able to get into recovery partition, tried the Verify and Repair options in Disk Utility, didn't change anything. Is there anything else I can try in Recovery Partition?

E: Hmm, okay. SMC reset didn't seem to fix it, and it looks like I'm able to boot into safe mode (progress bar appears at the bottom) but then screen goes black and I get my mouse pointer again. Same thing as above.

Moogs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 23, 2014

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Moogs posted:

Yep, regular backlight works too, goes up and down and blacks out and comes back on.

Was able to get into recovery partition, tried the Verify and Repair options in Disk Utility, didn't change anything. Is there anything else I can try in Recovery Partition?

E: Hmm, okay. SMC reset didn't seem to fix it, and it looks like I'm able to boot into safe mode (progress bar appears at the bottom) but then screen goes black and I get my mouse pointer again. Same thing as above.

Boot into single user mode and then do this

mount -uw /
cd /Library/Preferences
rm com.apple.loginwindow.plist
reboot

This is a known issue with 10.9.2

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Moogs posted:

It's more important to know that you didn't get the blackout issue while booted into recovery.

Where video is concerned, OS X goes through two stages during boot. The first, during early boot, is not accelerated. Later in the boot process, the acceleration kernel extensions load. It isn't unknown for video cards to break such that they work fine without acceleration, but fail with it. I've seen this happen on my own hardware (thanks 8800GT!). I would be surprised to see that kind of failure mode on a 2011 MBA, but it isn't impossible and your symptoms suggested it.

Safe boot shouldn't load the accelerated drivers at all. I'm not totally sure on the recovery partition, it might not load them either. But since you got a blackout in safe boot and not recovery, regardless of which way recovery works it's evidence that my suspicions were groundless and your OS got hosed up somehow.

So... are you all backed up? Might be time to do an OS install. Doesn't have to be destructive, just performing a reinstall in place might be enough.

You could also do an experiment from the recovery partition: you can use its Disk Utility to (nondestructively) add a small new partition to your SSD, install a completely fresh OS onto it, and see if that OS install is affected. If you've never done that partitioning dance before, here's how. (you'll need as much space free on the resized partition as the size of the new one, of course)

1. select your SSD in Disk Utility and click "Partition"
2. click the partition you're going to resize to make room, and then the "+" button to add a new partition by splitting the selected one
3. Click the new partition, name it whatever, and set the size. 10GB should be enough for an experimental temporary OS install
4. click "Apply" and confirm. It will non-destructively resize your original partition and create the new one.

Later on you can get rid of the extra partition by selecting it in DU, clicking the "-" button, dragging the main partition's bottom right corner till it's back to its original size, and clicking "Apply".

fake edit: saw 1997's post while previewing this one, try that first

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

1997 posted:

Boot into single user mode and then do this

mount -uw /
cd /Library/Preferences
rm com.apple.loginwindow.plist
reboot

This is a known issue with 10.9.2

Amazing! Sure enough, this fixed it. Booted into a login screen.

Thank you both so much for your help -- first problem I've had with my first Mac, glad to know it wasn't too hard to fix :)

Any idea what causes this, so I can avoid it in the future?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Doubt it was anything you did, sounds like an Apple bug.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah, it's a 10.9.2 thing. Only happens if you have a login window. If you boot straight to desktop it won't happen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

1997 posted:

If you boot straight to desktop it won't happen.

which you should never do

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Pivo posted:

which you should never do
FileVault does this for you which is probably why I've never run into the bug.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
Can anyone with the latest model rMBP or MBA weigh in on how the battery life stacks up to Apple's claims? I'm deciding between the 8/256/13" models, and the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the rMBP is the longer battery life on the Air. Just wondering if the difference is really big enough to justify it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

kernel panic posted:

Can anyone with the latest model rMBP or MBA weigh in on how the battery life stacks up to Apple's claims? I'm deciding between the 8/256/13" models, and the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the rMBP is the longer battery life on the Air. Just wondering if the difference is really big enough to justify it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/how-to-choose-13-inch-macbook-air-vs-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro/2/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kernel panic posted:

My 2013 Air 13" goes 13-14 hours of Safari. My 2012 rMBP 13" would hit 8 without a problem. Haven't bought or used a 2013 rMBP 13", yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Keep in mind, in those tests to '13 rMBP is an i5 while the '13 MBA is an i7

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

kernel panic posted:

I have the 8/256 model, and at the moment doing some MacPorts/XCode/surfing on it, I get 8-11 hours on the battery, and only now after nearly four months has the battery capacity dipped below 99%. Yeah, it's shorter than the MBA but I appreciate the extra boost in screen redraw from the 5100, although YMMV. IMHO, the Retina screen makes the 3-4 hours less of battery life over the Air extremely more livable. Can't even look at a standard screen now, I'm so spoiled.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unscientific results from my rMBP (and previous Mac laptops and various reviews) are that Apple's battery claims are pretty accurate. My 15" Haswell i7/16GB/1TB rMBP gets ~9 hours while running lightweight Linux VMs or other basic software for development and ~11 hours while just surfing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is there a good place to buy used Apple products? Craigslist is full of morons who want 500+ for a 2008 macbook, and ebay isn't something I trust.

Or am I pretty much screwed?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Why wouldn't you trust eBay? That's pretty much THE place, boss.

Also: Apple computers hold resale value very well. Those people with Macbooks might not be morons.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regular macbooks shouldn't really be worth $500 still, though, unless they've been upgraded and are in great shape.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Eh, I am just going off the price of mac2sell.com Should I not be?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Things are only worth what people will pay for them, so I would go directly to the listings and just see what things are being sold for. SA Mart gets people selling Macs and you can do well by that.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, I am just going off the price of mac2sell.com Should I not be?

Amazon has a used market for basically everything Apple too. Amazon guarantees the product in the condition promised or your money back, even if its bought from a third party. Its basically identical to eBay's buyer protection.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Is there a good place to buy used Apple products? Craigslist is full of morons who want 500+ for a 2008 macbook, and ebay isn't something I trust.

Or am I pretty much screwed?

As mentioned, Apple products have a high resale value (assuming they're kept in good condition). Use completed/sold auctions on ebay to get an idea of the upper end of the price range for whatever model you're looking at (note condition, applecare, original box, accessories, etc) and then look on Craigslist for something under that. With craigslist you don't have to deal with shipping and paypal fees so the prices should be lower.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Guess now's a good time to plug my 2010 13" MBP for sale in the SA-Mart. I noticed there's 2008 13" for sale in there as well.

I had a hard time relying on eBay for accurate data, the prices varied so wildly. Not many of the 2010's being sold, it seems.

I ended up having an asking price of $800, which in retro is probably a little too high, but at least it's a starting point. I'm definitely open to offers.

Here's the link to mine:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3619289

Here's the link to the 2008:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618997

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 25, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

Why wouldn't you trust eBay? That's pretty much THE place, boss.

Also: Apple computers hold resale value very well. Those people with Macbooks might not be morons.

eBay prices are high. And it's easy to get scammed. Go local with CL or buy from a forum like SA-Mart or wherever you sling computer parts. [H], MacRumors, etc

decypher posted:

Guess now's a good time to plug my 2010 13" MBP for sale in the SA-Mart. I noticed there's 2008 13" for sale in there as well.

I had a hard time relying on eBay for accurate data, the prices varied so wildly. Not many of the 2010's being sold, it seems.

I ended up having an asking price of $800, which in retro is probably a little too high, but at least it's a starting point. I'm definitely open to offers.

I'm going to say that's about $300 too high.

If you hit the refurb store you can get a 2012 13" Pro for $999. A 13" Retina, 8GB/128GB is only $1059

Used you'd be looking at $850/$900 for that 2012 model. $700-ish for a 2011. 2010's go for about $500 and 2009's and unibody MacBooks go for $400-$450

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

eBay prices are high. And it's easy to get scammed.

It is? Buy from someone with feedback, use paypal, what's the problem? The prices aren't bad at all sometimes. When was the last time you used eBay?

It's not like I will send someone $300 for an old Mac mini and end up with a toaster oven covered in apple stickers. And if I did, paypal would fix the problem.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

eBay prices are high. And it's easy to get scammed. Go local with CL or buy from a forum like SA-Mart or wherever you sling computer parts. [H], MacRumors, etc

Not easy to get scammed in my experience. And prices aren't high, you just have to accept that it might take some time to find a price that you like.

I have sold MBPs and iPhones on eBay and never had a problem. People are generally more willing to pay for better shipping and insurance and stuff like that, which gives us both peace of mind. In general I have had no problems with eBay since becoming a member in 1999, as a buyer or a seller.

Their listing fees are a bit high these days, so if you can find a price that you like on Craigslist/Kijiji/whatever, go for it. On SA-Mart, at least back when I used it, people sort of expect a "goon discount"... Like "I can buy this cheaper on eBay!" Be my guest. Maybe now that SA is older and less insular, that is not the case. Also there is far less protection.

Regardless I have never been scammed on eBay, after hundreds of transactions both as buyer and seller.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

Regardless I have never been scammed on eBay, after hundreds of transactions both as buyer and seller.
Even if you don't get scammed you have to deal with non-paying bidders and such. gently caress eBay for commodity items.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Even if you don't get scammed you have to deal with non-paying bidders and such. gently caress eBay for commodity items.

Only had one of those once, guy that apologized profusely but said that things have changed between the time he made the bid and the auction ending. I simply offered it to the next-highest bidder, who accepted. Problem-free transaction, really.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

We are talking about buying here. In which case you are the one paying.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Finally got all the bureaucracy sorted out regarding getting a MacBook part-funded through my university. :woop:

I'm still wavering between the 8/256 and 8/512; the 256 is cheaper, but I'm concerned I won't have enough space if I install Boot Camp to play games. FWIW, my current (Windows) laptop is sitting at 175GB used, 50GB of which is my Steam folder. And that's on a laptop that can barely run CK2. :negative:

Should I go for the 512 to shield myself from having to get upgrades for a bit longer?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Should I go for the 512 to shield myself from having to get upgrades for a bit longer?

yes

you will always run out of space

always.

these things last a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

benisntfunny posted:

We are talking about buying here. In which case you are the one paying.

1. Buy camera part from seller with 11,000+ sales and 99.6% feedback
2. Item arrives 2 weeks later
3. Item installed, tested, doesn't work, 2-3 days
4. Contact seller about dud part, get promise of replacement from seller, 1 day
5. Ship dud back to seller, 1 week
6. Seller "received your item, should have replacement to ship to you within 5 business days", 1 week
7. Replacement item ships, 1 week
8. Install replacement item, same issue (quite possibly same dud part in new box).
9. Contact seller, no response
10. Attempt to leave bad feedback; 45 day feedback period expired
11. Attempt to get refund through Paypal; 45 day refund period expired, get hosed

Or:

1. Buy car part from seller with 5000+ sales and 99.8% feedback; car part includes core charge (standard, add'l charge refunded upon return of old part for rebuilding)
2. Item arrives 2 weeks later
3. Install part, works great, 2-3 days
4. Leave seller good feedback
5. Ship back old part (core) for refund, 1-2 weeks
6a. [Sales page states it takes 10-15 business days after core arrival for inspection & testing before core charge is refunded]
6b. Contact seller after 2 weeks to confirm they're processing the return, no response
7. Attempt to get refund through Paypal; 45 day refund period expired, get hosed

Both of these happened to me. Good seller feedback and lots of sales mean jack poo poo when a seller can screw you over simply by delaying issues until they pass the 45 day mark (which is easy, because legitimate[-seeming] attempts at correcting the problem like returning the item for a replacement can push you past that mark). Paypal/eBay won't do poo poo for you after that. I avoid eBay whenever possible, and put absolutely zero trust in seller feedback.