Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

starbarry clock posted:

im pretty sure at one point there was a mono-green control deck that ran this but there are have been control decks that use green for sure
the sickest e: i also want to say that control decks are really good and anybody who complains about them being unfun would never understand why fun cards like winter orb exist

I remember coming along the same thought process as a friend with mono-G control. This was back during Urza's block legality. We dubbed it 'Type 1 Green' as it did a lot of degenerate things, and it was fun to call things much better counterparts.

It ran:

Fallow Earth (Green Time Walk!)
Plow Under
Winter's Grasp
Yavimaya Elder (Green Ancestral)
Rofellos and other Mana dorks
And usually a Masticore of Child of Gaea as the kill cards.

It was fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Boseiju is actually main and I didn't regret it once yesterday. It's so nice to drop a Primetime game 1 which they let resolve because they can deal with a single creature, only to pull out Boseiju and drop an uncounterable win on their next turn. :science:

Unexpected bonus: Urabrask is pretty good against Twin.

Did you never have a problem getting forests in opening hands running boseiju main? I'm running 20 land and 5 of those consist of 4 nykthos and a kessig wolf run. I was worried about dropping lower than that. Also did you ever find a good chance to play a fat banefire? I contemplated trying that too.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I am biting the bullet and trading all my spare standard stuff for breakfast burrito parts, people who pilot this deck, please tell me this is the right thing to do.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Samael posted:

So I am biting the bullet and trading all my spare standard stuff for breakfast burrito parts, people who pilot this deck, please tell me this is the right thing to do.

Here's Aatrek's posts on the deck:

-Burrito Primer w/Mimeoplasm win condition

-Burrito Primer with Underworld Cerberus win condition

I link both because while the Cerberus WC is the newer and theoretically 'better' option, Spirit of the Labyrinth has cast some doubt and made some people head back to the original Mimeoplasm win con (which is the one I prefer).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

I link both because while the Cerberus WC is the newer and theoretically 'better' option, Spirit of the Labyrinth has cast some doubt and made some people head back to the original Mimeoplasm win con (which is the one I prefer).

It's AATREK CURES KIDS, lets not confuse him with the actual Aatrek who is a permabanned child rapist.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

It's AATREK CURES KIDS, lets not confuse him with the actual Aatrek who is a permabanned child rapist.

That explains a lot, actually. :v: I should have just said Chamale (unless that is also the wrong person and potentially a rapist, potentially of the child variety; I sincerely hope not, though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Samael posted:

If you need to dump money into Legacy staples, be sure to pick up the pieces for Charbelcher and the alternate wincons of Burrito as well. Both decks can be used in a variety of situations and levels of competition and have a lot of overlap.

In other news, Brad Nelson is stealing my heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc-2KxBn9wY

:swoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfvvAku5h8

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

bhsman posted:

I got the rituals/spirit guides/moxes/petals/LoE/1 cabal therapy/2 summoner's pacts for 2 of my elspeths+ some temples and some money. Does it need grim monolith to work? That's the main obstacle thats facing me finishing this deck now.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Samael posted:

I got the rituals/spirit guides/moxes/petals/LoE/1 cabal therapy/2 summoner's pacts for 2 of my elspeths+ some temples and some money. Does it need grim monolith to work? That's the main obstacle thats facing me finishing this deck now.

Monolith is like twenty bucks. You want them.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
MURDERFARM

bhsman posted:

Hey, I'm happy with how it worked out: I got to play a fun, divergent, and competitive list for a few months and got to turn it around to fuel a Modern deck.

I've largely moved away from it as well, but it's more that I played it enough that I warped the meta into expecting it at my LGS. Then again, I usually have 2-3 reasonably competitive standard decks built or partially built at any given time.

Right now I've got Mono Blue and a bUG list pretty much fully ready to go. The Farm is still mostly put together, but I have to move cards from bUG if I'm going to play it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Samael posted:

Pretty sure the common knowledge is that you can run Tinder Walls instead of Grim Monolith in the meantime, but yes, you do need to buy Grim Monolith.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I've felt like a kid on Christmas this week. I've been getting a steady stream of cards in the mail pretty much daily to finish of my deck and my gf's deck :D

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

morning wood posted:

I've felt like a kid on Christmas this week. I've been getting a steady stream of cards in the mail pretty much daily to finish of my deck and my gf's deck :D

I hate whenever I finish a project; the biggest let-down was the anticlimactic arrival of my cube's final card. Once I'm not expecting cards in the mail anymore, I'm disappointed before I even go to my mailbox....since I know with no cards on the way I'll only find bills again :smith:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Pretty sure the common knowledge is that you can run Tinder Walls instead of Grim Monolith in the meantime, but yes, you do need to buy Grim Monolith.

Noted. UK goons (I know there are some out there) are there legacy tournaments near you?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I would recommend trading for legacy staples you can use in several decks instead of focusing one deck, since that is likely to be way more useful in the long run. Especially if you would like to play a good deck sometime in the future.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

MrBling posted:

I would recommend trading for legacy staples you can use in several decks instead of focusing one deck, since that is likely to be way more useful in the long run. Especially if you would like to play a good deck sometime in the future.

Yeah, of course. Though trying to trade standard cards for legacy staples like FoW is like trying to trade potatoes for caviar.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Get Aether Vials then!

There's a card that gets played in multiple formats!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

MURDERFARM

I've largely moved away from it as well, but it's more that I played it enough that I warped the meta into expecting it at my LGS. Then again, I usually have 2-3 reasonably competitive standard decks built or partially built at any given time.

Right now I've got Mono Blue and a bUG list pretty much fully ready to go. The Farm is still mostly put together, but I have to move cards from bUG if I'm going to play it.

What's your lists?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I actually want to thank you, personally, for encouraging me to build the deck. If you hadn't taken the time to assemble, play, and give feedback on the deck (not to mention leave it in the OP), I might not have built it myself. Thanks. :)

This means, of course, that a new card in Journey Into Nyx will come out and make MURDER[thing] a tier 1 deck. :suicide:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'd like to interject with how much I love cube. Even the lovely MTGO cube. I love doing insanely degenerate things.....

I wish I'd taken a screenshot of this last game. I drafted basically mono green ramp with a splash of black for Liliana (tutor) and some removal. Game 3 was just insane (makes me sorta glad I punted game 2...was supposed to hold up green with my Scavenging Ooze to take care of his Woodfall Primus persist trigger).

Turn 1: Forest, Elvish Mystic.

Turn 2: Gaea's Cradle, Strangleroot Geist, attack for 3.

Turn 3: Opponent is Simic colors, just passed the last turn, gotta have a counter for my Natural Order (he knows 4-5 mana is my sweet spot for going off). Forest, Deranged Hermit, gets countered by Miscalculation as expected (even if it resolved, it was a sick spell to have stick with Gaea's Cradle out...win-win.

Turn 4: He's tapped out after playing out Edric. Swamp, Natural Order, sacrifice Strangleroot Geist for the undying trigger, play Terastodon. Blow up ALL THREE of my basic lands for Elephants. Tap Gaea's Cradle for six, play Eternal Witness and get back Deranged Hermit. Cast the last card in my hand, Borderland Ranger, fetch up a Swamp. GG.

In other crazy game summary news, game 3 of an 8-man standard earlier this morning was pretty hilarious. I'm playing Bant Control, he's playing Mono Black (yawn):

Opening 7: 3 scry lands, 3 basics, Azorius Charm. Got all my colors. Why the hell not, I will see 7 cards before turn 4, I'll hit something and keep that something safe from Thoughtseize in my deck. KEEP!

Sure enough.....

My Turn 1: Scry land. See Selesnya Charm on top, leave it there. Any spell is good, and I can kill a Pack Rat with a surprise blocker (half the reason I run charms in my side for this matchup...the other half is exiling demons and Erebos).

His Turn 1: Duress. Take the Azorius Charm. Whatever dude.

My Turn 2: Play a Temple Garden untapped so I can play my Charm if there's another Duress.

His Turn 2: What do you know, it's another Duress! Cast charm in response, get a 2/2. Pass....wait pass? Yeah, no land. He kept a 1-lander with Duresses.

My turn 3: Play a Hallowed Fountain untapped. I drew land, but maybe I can bait another spell....

His turn 3: Thoughtseize! Hand-full-o-land, take 2 more. Still no land.

My turn 4: Drew land again, this time I chose to Scry because surely he's out of spells and I need to dig. Scry a Revelation, KEEP!

His turn 4: Still no land, but THOUGHTSEIZE! Take 2 more.

My turn 5: Draw rev, shock myself, keep swinging with the Knight, got him down to 10 already thanks to his Thoughtseizes.....

His turn 5: LAND AT LAST! Cast Pack Rat. Clearly his master plan for that hand was "draw two land in my first 3, play rat, discard the poo poo I can't cast". I Rev in response (while I was tapping mana he was ranting about the bullshit that was the counterspell I was about to play).

My turn 6: Drew a D-Sphere for turn, drop that and an untapped island to hold up Dissolve. I have a spare D-Sphere anyway.

His turn 6: Third land! Casts Nightveil Specter....no Dissolve, I'll detain it, save Dissolve for something like Underworld Connections that can get him out of this.

My turn 7: Drew Revelation for turn. Play Jace, minus to find another Dissolve and 2 land. He puts Dissolve by itself, I take the lands since I need to keep making land drops with this other Rev waiting.

His turn 7: Another Nightveil Attempt. This one I Dissolve, he concedes.

Of all the times for someone to keep a 1-lander with 4 hand destruction spells, that was the greatest coincidence I've ever had. The only thing more satisfying was that time I was still playing Selesnya and kept 5 lands and 2 Loxodon Smiters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Of all the times for someone to keep a 1-lander with 4 hand destruction spells, that was the greatest coincidence I've ever had. The only thing more satisfying was that time I was still playing Selesnya and kept 5 lands and 2 Loxodon Smiters.

Still doesn't beat when my friend running GW Aggro kept a hand with 3 lands and 4 loxodon smiters because "I know he's playing monoblack."

And sure enough, turn 1 Thoughtseize. Pay 2, 4/4 for your opponent on turn 0.

Also, could I perhaps see your Bant Control list? I've been loving Prophet Bant but I feel like it's missing something.

Edit: So uh, would Hellkite Tyrant be secret tech potential for Pod against Affinity?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 25, 2014

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

Still doesn't beat when my friend running GW Aggro kept a hand with 3 lands and 4 loxodon smiters because "I know he's playing monoblack."

Also, could I perhaps see your Bant Control list? I've been loving Prophet Bant but I feel like it's missing something.

I know it's a powerful play, but I still love when Modern Jund decks Lava Axe themselves to Thoughtseize an opponent on turn 1. I guess the only way it gets better is if it also puts a 4/4 into play for your opponent.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: So uh, would Hellkite Tyrant be secret tech potential for Pod against Affinity?

My list: http://deckbox.org/sets/605228

To be fair, 3 lands 4 Smiters is a snap keep in any matchup. I've been playing Selesnya as well, lately, since Lifebane Zombie has fallen out a bit in my local meta.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
This seems like a particularly bad ReConstructed article.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/rc/292

To me, he completely missed the point of the original deckbuilder (actually casting enormous threats) and just shoehorned in a terrible manabase and Through the Breach. I doubt anyone editing the deck would keep Urban Evolution, but at least it's on-point with what the deck is trying to do.

And edited poorly:

As I mentioned earlier, a version that also has an aggressive plan with Tarmogoyf, Lotus Cobra, and maybe something is something you could consider for a two-pronged attack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Did you never have a problem getting forests in opening hands running boseiju main? I'm running 20 land and 5 of those consist of 4 nykthos and a kessig wolf run. I was worried about dropping lower than that. Also did you ever find a good chance to play a fat banefire? I contemplated trying that too.

I have I think 22 lands, including the 3 or 4 spare green fetches I have, so I actually have one more green than you. I usually don't have a problem with getting green. I had way too many mana screw and color screw games with only 20 lands. To be fair, I'm pretty well known for just never having the lands I need unless I have all of them, so YMMV. And of course sometimes I keep a 5 card hand with Nykthos and only draw 2 more Nykthoses, but :shrug:

I had a Banefire for 12 set up for my turn in my last game when he was at 12, but I drew a Burning Tree which let me kill a guy with a Wolf Runned up Arbor Elf and honestly, you're not not going to do that if it comes up. He was tapped out, which is why I didn't just Banefire to be safe. My idea for Banefire is if they side in any sort of land hate, or know to find a Tec Edge/Ghost Quarter to deal with Boseiju, I can still throw an uncounterable win out game 2 and 3.

Every time I used it, it was to burn a dude to death, and I was always happy to see it, especially in the last match where turn 1 Delver, turn 2 flip happened every game but the one, where it was turn 1 Serum Visions, turn 2 Delver, turn 3 flip.

I'm pretty sure I need a Terastadon main. I don't really care about giving them some 3/3s, and I have no way to stop something like Ensnaring Bridge, which is why I lost game 1 of my 3rd round. I literally Waved my whole deck out on turn 5 hoping a I had a maindeck answer to 2 Ensnaring Bridges at 0 that I just forgot about. I didn't so I chose death by Elvish Visionary.

I still want to fit Greater Good in so bad, but I think that's getting pretty greedy. It would help me dig for the win, save Urabrask from Path, and would work especially well with Wolf Run. Plus in a pinch I could dump Emrakul for an instant Feldon's Cane.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Recess Rapist posted:

To me, he completely missed the point of the original deckbuilder (actually casting enormous threats) and just shoehorned in a terrible manabase and Through the Breach. I doubt anyone editing the deck would keep Urban Evolution, but at least it's on-point with what the deck is trying to do.
I knew before I clicked it would be Gavin Verhey. He's the guy who took someone's DC Green pox deck, took out all the pox stuff, splashed red and dropped some goyfs, bobs bolts and lilis in there.

Basically, "You know what would make this deck better? If it was Jund. Happy brewing, everyone!"

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I run two seal of primordium in the sideboard so I can wave them out and deal with stuff like ensnaring bridge. Im also trying to get some fracturing gusts for my sideboard. I thought about greater good but I run two regal forces and they work awesome with wave or hardcast. There have been times where I waved and put them in graveyard so I wouldn't deck myself. I also run 3 harmonize which have worked well and are easy to cast t2/3. Stuff like bridge or other combo decks is why I was considering multiple beast withins for sideboard, even if I wave them to graveyard eternal witness will get them back.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

I knew before I clicked it would be Gavin Verhey. He's the guy who took someone's DC Green pox deck, took out all the pox stuff, splashed red and dropped some goyfs, bobs bolts and lilis in there.

Basically, "You know what would make this deck better? If it was Jund. Happy brewing, everyone!"

So he gave some of the best deckbuilding advice anyone has ever given. I don't see why this is a problem.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Recess Rapist posted:

And edited poorly:

As I mentioned earlier, a version that also has an aggressive plan with Tarmogoyf, Lotus Cobra, and maybe something is something you could consider for a two-pronged attack.
The only thing I liked in that entire article is... "It's hard to believe, but in two short weeks we'll be kicking off Journey into Nyx previews!"

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Wasn't there a tweet someone dug up last thread where he literally said 'yes, any deck is better if you make it Jund'? Maybe that was someone else but I doubt it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg_daily_other_032542014_aprilphools

Wizards is doing a bunch of grabbag set phantom sealed events for April 1 with Odyssey block packs as prizes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

"It's hard to believe, but in two short weeks we'll be kicking off Journey into Nyx previews!"

Spoiler Season?!

SPOILER SEASON!
SPOILER SEASON!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Spoiler Season?!

SPOILER SEASON!
SPOILER SEASON!

Nicknames:
SPOILER SEASON!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

Wasn't there a tweet someone dug up last thread where he literally said 'yes, any deck is better if you make it Jund'? Maybe that was someone else but I doubt it.

It was me. I sent the tweet, and got the reply of "LOL, well Jund is a good deck!"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 25, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Recess Rapist posted:

Cast Emrakul turn 3
Cast Emrakul turn 3!
Cast Emrakul turn 3!!!

Hmph. Call me when you can hardcast Emrakul on turn 2, chump. :colbert:

I only need to draw the perfect 7 cards plus a green land and one of the 8 one cost mana producers
I've totally done it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MrBling posted:

Drew Levin over on SCG actually had a really good string of articles about how to build a Legacy collection that was built around advice like this. It was Premium but it should all be free to view now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

It was me. I sent the tweet, and got the reply of "LOL, well Jund is a good deck!"

Well, he's right.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chorocojo posted:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg_daily_other_032542014_aprilphools

Wizards is doing a bunch of grabbag set phantom sealed events for April 1 with Odyssey block packs as prizes.

For those that don't feel like clicking all the links at the bottom:

quote:

Heavy Metal

Urza's Saga
Urza's Legacy
Mirrodin
Darksteel
Fifth Dawn
Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Besieged
New Phyrexia

The Weatherlight Saga
Weatherlight
Invasion
Planeshift
Apocalypse
Mercadian Masques Block pack
Tempest
Stronghold
Exodus

Wooo Berg!

Ravnica: City of Guilds
Guildpact
Dissension
Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze
Shadowmoor
Eventide

Core Crazy
Magic 2014
Magic 2013
Magic 2012
Magic 2011
Magic 2010
Magic Tenth Edition
Magic Ninth Edition
Magic Eighth Edition

Tribal
Lorwyn
Morningtide
Onslaught
Legions
Scourge
Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored

Erik Lauer Experience
Magic 2010
Magic 2011
Mirrodin Besieged
Innistrad
Return to Ravnica
Theros
Modern Masters
Modern Masters

Cycling Time!

Onslaught
Legions
Scourge
Urza's Legacy
Urza's Saga
Shards of Alara
Conflux
Alara Reborn

Sliver Farm
Magic 2014
Magic 2014
Tempest
Stronghold
Exodus
Time Spiral
Planar Chaos
Future Sight

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Alright I'll bite, who's Eric Lauer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Alright I'll bite, who's Eric Lauer?

He's Magic's current Head Developer. Those are sets whose development he led.

• Locked thread