Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Toaster Ding posted:

Would they not eat zombie meat and only living human meat?

Would you eat any meat that had been rotting for 3+ years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shoot person in the head so they don't reanimate, then cut them up?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Max Awfuls posted:

I suppose eating a dead person's meat would carry the risk of killing you much the same way as a bite, so they'd keep them alive while they carved them up. At least that's how they went about it in the cannibal story in the vídeo game and that makes sense if you factor what we know about the vírus up until now.
Also, it's icky.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
How much meat can one person produce, I wonder? Like, how much is needed to support this (possibly not real) cannibal society? Given how much time has passed, I'm still flabbergasted that this could be a viable source of food production.

Someone earlier in the thread noted the ease of access to this place. That seems key, but maybe not as a cannibalist trap. Even cannibals wouldn't be dumb enough to have zero protection against a potential zombie horde, no? So what is it that makes this place safe if not its actual walls?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Maybe they are Muslim Cannibals.
You can't properly halal prepare a zombie as no blood drains out when throat slit upside down.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Naet posted:

How much meat can one person produce, I wonder? Like, how much is needed to support this (possibly not real) cannibal society? Given how much time has passed, I'm still flabbergasted that this could be a viable source of food production.

Someone earlier in the thread noted the ease of access to this place. That seems key, but maybe not as a cannibalist trap. Even cannibals wouldn't be dumb enough to have zero protection against a potential zombie horde, no? So what is it that makes this place safe if not its actual walls?

Perhaps they're breeding the people like cows or something? It's greusome and disgusting but plausable.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Would you eat any meat that had been rotting for 3+ years?

No, but I wouldn't eat a person either. I just figure, if we're going to go full cannibal, and everyone in the universe is already all infected anyways - is there really _that_ much of a difference?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I wonder if primates could reanimate. I want to see a zombie gorilla

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Toaster Ding posted:

No, but I wouldn't eat a person either. I just figure, if we're going to go full cannibal, and everyone in the universe is already all infected anyways - is there really _that_ much of a difference?

No human being could stomach 3 year old rotting meat, you literally could not stomach it, you'd just throw it up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Toaster Ding posted:

Maybe you're not in extra danger from the zombie virus, but what about all the normal reasons why we don't rotten meat?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
It is really disturbing how many of you are hoping for cannibalism when there has been next to no evidence of that is what they are walking into. Something is really wrong with you people.

Why is there no hope that Terminus is a parallel of Sanctuary from the comic? They keep calling Terminus a sanctuary for all survivors after all.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JEEVES420 posted:

It is really disturbing how many of you are hoping for cannibalism when there has been next to no evidence of that is what they are walking into. Something is really wrong with you people.

Why is there no hope that Terminus is a parallel of Sanctuary from the comic? They keep calling Terminus a sanctuary for all survivors after all.

Have you not read cormac mccarthys the road

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
You are too trusting. You will be eaten first

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What the heck does "hope" have to do with anything? I just thought the Terminus/Mary's introduction was winking "cannibal" at us. And it gives sense to the Beth-napping, if that's connected.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Austrian mook posted:

Perhaps they're breeding the people like cows or something? It's greusome and disgusting but plausable.

Lol what? So they're growing all that food to feed the pregnant sows so they can eat their young every 9 months?

Actually that sounds like kirkman.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

JEEVES420 posted:

I don't want it to be cannibalism because I think that's incredibly stupid.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I really don't think its stupider than anything else that can possibly happen on a popcorn zombie show.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
If you work off the assumption that it's cannibalism a lot of stuff leading up to the reveal makes "sense". The trap house, the parallels to rick describing how traps work and Daryl's group's leader talking about how there are no good people left, "I'll make you a plate" with big honkin slabs of meat, etc.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's all a red herring but, welp.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Putting signs that tell the food to come to you is easier and safer than going out to find the food.

And as a bonus, the food brings all their best supplies and weapons.

One of the more suspicious things about Terminus is how desolate it is. For all the signs and radio broadcasts, you'd expect more than one weird lady and her BBQ.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Have you not read cormac mccarthys the road

I have and I have seen the movie. Both are really hosed up in that aspect. However that story is based off a nuclear apocalypse where in animals or farming is impossible. Food was much more scarce in that scenario. In a zombie apocalypse animals, food, scavenging is still very viable so quickly turning to cannibalism makes much less sense. Where, in a world where you are trying your hardest to not be eaten by the walking dead, do you stop and see someone getting eaten and think "you know that looks pretty drat good"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Terminus just kind of sounds like an ominous name. Like oh lets head to Slaughterville or Smashskullsburg for sanctuary

Or the writers are just loving with us

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JEEVES420 posted:

I have and I have seen the movie. Both are really hosed up in that aspect. However that story is based off a nuclear apocalypse where in animals or farming is impossible. Food was much more scarce in that scenario. In a zombie apocalypse animals, food, scavenging is still very viable so quickly turning to cannibalism makes much less sense. Where, in a world where you are trying your hardest to not be eaten by the walking dead, do you stop and see someone getting eaten and think "you know that looks pretty drat good"

People have turned to cannibalism in wartime and under duress many times in history you don't need a freakin nuclear winter what are you talking about humans can't eat grass and poo poo you idiot

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Or the writers are just loving with us

pretty sure they've been doing this for a while

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Austrian mook posted:

pretty sure they've been doing this for a while

I'll believe it's deliberate when they kill Daryl :twisted:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JEEVES420 posted:

I feel like we're edging closer to a discussion on how one would behave in a "real" zombie apocalypse. I only recently started posting in this thread after a break from watching the show for a couple years, so I don't know how often that happens.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

People have turned to cannibalism in wartime and under duress many times in history you don't need a freakin nuclear winter what are you talking about humans can't eat grass and poo poo you idiot

In those situations they were trapped in a limited area with no rations. Most cases have reported that all manor of creatures had been exhausted before they turned to cannibalism. It has always been a last resort that is not considered lightly. Except for the hosed up people who do it for ritual or because they are just psychotic.

you make it sound like at the first sign of a collapse of civilization conversations across the globe go something like this.

"Hey I found all these canned goods"
"I dont like peas, pass me that femur"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JEEVES420 posted:

In those situations they were trapped in a limited area with no rations. Most cases have reported that all manor of creatures had been exhausted before they turned to cannibalism. It has always been a last resort that is not considered lightly. Except for the hosed up people who do it for ritual or because they are just psychotic.

you make it sound like at the first sign of a collapse of civilization conversations across the globe go something like this.

"Hey I found all these canned goods"
"I dont like peas, pass me that femur"

The survivors are in an area that has been stripped clean by zombies and other survivors with total collapse of infrastructure. It looks like the zombies are eating the animals too, as they have done multiple times throughout the series. It's been a year, nobody is alive to plant and harvest crops or store them in a safe place. It's like a big war that has decimated the land. Yeah, people could conceivably eat each other, as they have done in the past under lesser circumstances

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Also, it's been about a year...most food stores would probably be giving out soon?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The survivors are in an area that has been stripped clean by zombies and other survivors with total collapse of infrastructure. It looks like the zombies are eating the animals too, as they have done multiple times throughout the series. It's been a year, nobody is alive to plant and harvest crops or store them in a safe place. It's like a big war that has decimated the land. Yeah, people could conceivably eat each other, as they have done in the past under lesser circumstances

This show has shown us time and time again that they are finding deer, rabbits, squirrel, snakes, canned goods, fruits and vegetables, abandoned farms, and that they even started their own farm. There is no reason from what we have seen that people should or would turn to cannibalism due to desperation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Austrian mook posted:

Predatory cannibalism in the sense of capturing people and immediately harvesting them just barely makes sense if preserved food becomes scarce and space/movement constraints prevent normal cultivation and animal livestock. Actually keeping people as livestock would just be ridiculously inefficient. I mean what's the ratio of water/feed per unit of beef, plus you've got to content with "livestock" that can hold a grudge and plot against you instead of just placidly getting corralled into a pen. I'd much rather a chicken coop. Omeletes and chicken breast as an occasional treat, and I just have to throw out some seed every now and then. Less space. Less risk of escape, and if they do get out they're not going to grab a pistol and blow my head off because I ate their spouse.

I mean I'll forgive it if it's well written, but actually keeping people as livestock only makes sense if you are really in it for the sake of the cannibalism as an ends to itself. Otherwise just kill people right away, salt their meat into people jerky, and you can keep all the water and food you would need to feed them for yourself.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JEEVES420 posted:

This show has shown us time and time again that they are finding deer, rabbits, squirrel, snakes, canned goods, fruits and vegetables, abandoned farms, and that they even started their own farm. There is no reason from what we have seen that people should or would turn to cannibalism due to desperation.

Food sources are finite. Animals are hard to catch, unless you're Daryl

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Is everyone going to eat each other, no, but could some backwoods Georgia people decide that strangers they don't care about could be a good extra protein source? Maybe

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Food sources are finite. Animals are hard to catch, unless you're Daryl

natural food sources replenish, Animals are easier to catch than people. Are you trying to argue cannibalism due to convenience?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

JEEVES420 posted:

natural food sources replenish, Animals are easier to catch than people. Are you trying to argue cannibalism due to convenience?

You will be first

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

You will be first

but I have all this food to share, please dont eat me.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Haven't people made the connection between Terminus Lady and the house where Michonne found the room full of dead children because she looks like the portrait in said house? Having to kill your entire brood might disturb someone enough to throw off their dietary habits during the zombie apocalypse, even if she doesn't have to.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There was also the country club with the "rich bitch" lady class warfare stuff. Wonder if that fits into this somehow. Something bad happened in the general area not that long ago

There's also that giant loving herd that the writers seem to have forgotten about. I wonder when that will show up again

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The guy that got killed for messing with daryl, is it me or were his questions about losing a woman really pointed and fairly specific, did anyone else notice that? It just seemed a little odd.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crankit posted:

The guy that got killed for messing with daryl, is it me or were his questions about losing a woman really pointed and fairly specific, did anyone else notice that? It just seemed a little odd.

Guy was probably fishing and figured by one of Daryl's responses that he was right (ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Emily Kinney, who plays Beth, showed up in yesterdays episode of the Following and got promptly killed by the end of it. If she ends up being killed in the season finale of this, particularly if she dies twice because they have to kill her again after she turns zombie, somebody should create some Sean Bean Award For Outstanding Actor of the Week and send it to her. Make it a trophy with Sean Bean being Ned Starked or something.

• Locked thread