Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I know when I went to Qui here in Austin, I asked my server a million times what sucked, so I didn't get screwed on a poo poo dish at a great restaurant.

You probably just don't get how much your 'wrong dish' comment is a loving smash in the nuts to us who do this as an art/trade/craft.
For what it's worth, the lunch buffet at Lotus is a loving joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So are most buffets, though breakfast at the ones at bellagio and Rio aren't bad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, I was mainly saying that asking what to avoid at a restaurant with a New Jersey Turnpike-level lunch buffet isn't a "smash in the nuts" to all cooks everywhere

And, full disclosure, I was really disappointed by the garlic prawns, I have no idea why that dish has such a rep

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 22, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The Riviera Hotel might be the worst I have ever stayed in. The shower head is at chin level and seems to only want to blast high pressure cold water at me. Its ok though, the little sliver of soap refuses to lather so I am only under the cold blast for a few seconds.

There is also a loving sign in the bathroom asking guests to be responsible when they dispose of used needles.

I found a taco place to head to for lunch so breakfast is coffee, bloody marys, and quarter slots.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
There is a pretty decent Indian place in the Riviera. I'm assuming the taco place you are talking about is Tacos El Gordo, I've heard nothing but good things but haven't made my way over yet. The one in North Las Vegas has been "opening" for awhile now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

The Riviera Hotel might be the worst I have ever stayed in. The shower head is at chin level and seems to only want to blast high pressure cold water at me. Its ok though, the little sliver of soap refuses to lather so I am only under the cold blast for a few seconds.

There is also a loving sign in the bathroom asking guests to be responsible when they dispose of used needles.

I found a taco place to head to for lunch so breakfast is coffee, bloody marys, and quarter slots.

Sounds classy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cenen posted:

There is a pretty decent Indian place in the Riviera. I'm assuming the taco place you are talking about is Tacos El Gordo, I've heard nothing but good things but haven't made my way over yet. The one in North Las Vegas has been "opening" for awhile now.

Yep, but the line was down the block so I went to some Korean place instead. The food I saw coming out of Gordo looked great and any place that offers brain tacos can't be all bad. I will make it back during the week when hopefully it is less crowded.

I am $5 up in video poker and was so excited by this I went and got a room upgrade so now for the princely sum of $15 a night I have a shower with head level hot water and a view of something other then the back of the marquee.

My coworkers land at 2 so once I am clear of any social obligations I am heading over to Circus Circus to get a frozen margarita the size of my head. I have decided to embrace the trashiness and wallow in it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Try not to drown in a scorpion bowl.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Back in october I moved into a small flat. It was single room, Ikea-furnished and overall kinda shoddy, but I loved it nevertheless. It was the first place I could call my own. No parents, no landlords, no roommates. The only blemish on it I saw was having to deal with an electric stove, which I considered a minor annoyance well worth the other benefits.

Oh, how wrong I was. These loving things kept gradually sucking the joy out of cooking. This piece of poo poo is an abyss taking away my ability to feel human. It's gotten so bad, this month I've finally reverted to instant ramen-level of nutrition. Dear goons, since I'm stuck here for at least three more months, please tell me about coping with electric ovens and staying sane despite their shittiness before I go even more broke then usual by eating out all the time.

PS. It's only got two burners, so even shuffling between burners set to different temperatures you need is tricky at times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

Back in october I moved into a small flat. It was single room, Ikea-furnished and overall kinda shoddy, but I loved it nevertheless. It was the first place I could call my own. No parents, no landlords, no roommates. The only blemish on it I saw was having to deal with an electric stove, which I considered a minor annoyance well worth the other benefits.

Oh, how wrong I was. These loving things kept gradually sucking the joy out of cooking. This piece of poo poo is an abyss taking away my ability to feel human. It's gotten so bad, this month I've finally reverted to instant ramen-level of nutrition. Dear goons, since I'm stuck here for at least three more months, please tell me about coping with electric ovens and staying sane despite their shittiness before I go even more broke then usual by eating out all the time.

PS. It's only got two burners, so even shuffling between burners set to different temperatures you need is tricky at times.
Buy an induction cooktop, cook stuff on low in the oven and pan-sear (or just cook in the pan entirely)

I have a total crap electric oven in my apt as well and it doesn't really matter as I never really broil

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh, I think the word I was looking for is actually an electric stove. This sort of thing, to avoid any further cross-language confusion.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

Oh, I think the word I was looking for is actually an electric stove. This sort of thing, to avoid any further cross-language confusion.

Is that a hot plate?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, just mine is non-mobile.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, just mine is non-mobile.

For some reason, we call that a range. I grew up cooking on electric stove-tops, and even now my preference for gas is slight... in my experience it's not that big of a difference?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

As No Wave said you can buy induction hot plates pretty cheap to add control / capacity.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
It's not that bad. Keep a trivet next to the range and if you need to get the temp down quickly, take the pot off, put it on the trivet, and turn down the burner. Wait a little bit and then put it back on. It really is not so hard that you have to stop eating real food or some poo poo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe it's a really lovely electric stove. Gas has probably less quality variance: does gas come out at the right volume and catch fire? Yes? Good. Electric stoves can vary wildly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Dad has cancer, and his company is firing him due to some FMLA bullshit due to him having back surgery last year. I'm a wreck.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dad has cancer, and his company is firing him due to some FMLA bullshit due to him having back surgery last year. I'm a wreck.

Jesus. That's really awful. I'm sorry.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

What the gently caress. That's terrible to hear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That really sucks :-\

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Sorry to hear that, CdC. :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Forever gently caress our lack of proper social safety nets. Neverminding that issue, I hope your dad ends up okay.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Thanks guys. I'm exploring legal options now, may be able to pressure them with the ADA, we're consulting with a lawyer later today.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Jesus christ, dude. I hope you can find some legal recourse for your dad because that is some bullshit.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Good luck, CDC. That's going to be a long-term pain in the rear end. I hope it all works out for you both.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

drat those basterds...hope this can be solved quickly so you can all focus on him getting better.
Good luck to you and your family

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Not much I can add, but :sympathy:, CDC.

Maybe you can get a laugh out of 10 Copycat Recipes for Your Restaurant Faves. It cropped up as a typically click-bait-ey link on a sidebar of some recipe site I was looking at and I thought "oh, huh, that might be interesting - let's see how those high-end fellas do their thang!"

Apparently, this site's idea of a restaurant is...well, just look.

As far as I can tell there is no hint of sarcasm here. I actually scrolled back up to the top to check that the post date wasn't April 1st.

Well at least they put all 10 clickthroughs on one page for once! :downsbravo:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Finally, a recipe for Wendy's chili! You are a true hero, franco.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Guesses at what's on the list:
Cheddar Biscuits from Red Lobster
Cinnabons
Olive Garden Fettucini Alfredo
and Wendy's Chili which I got beaten to posting.

EDIT: loving lol.

Chipotle’s Famous Barbacoa is the Mexican barbecue of my dreams. Seared beef is slow-cooked in a spectacular spicy adobo sauce and combination of flavors that create the perfect moist and tender Mexican shredded beef that I have ever eaten. Prepared in the crockpot it’s simple and deliciou

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 25, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The red lobster biscuits used to be REALLY popular when I was younger, but I never thought they were all that great. They were greasy and kinda salty, which is always tasty, but I don't know. I guess it's because they were free or something. :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They're salty as hell

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think that writer uses "perfect" or "perfectly" in 8/10 descriptions.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Me in Reverse posted:

Cheddar Biscuits from Red Lobster
Cinnabons
Olive Garden Fettucini Alfredo
and Wendy's Chili which I got beaten to posting.

EDIT: loving lol.

Chipotle’s Famous Barbacoa is the Mexican barbecue of my dreams. Seared beef is slow-cooked in a spectacular spicy adobo sauce and combination of flavors that create the perfect moist and tender Mexican shredded beef that I have ever eaten. Prepared in the crockpot it’s simple and deliciou

Hahahaha I love that you weren't wrong about a single one. That being said though, I really don't have a problem with stuff like this existing! :shrug: Olive Garden and Red Lobster are both major guilty pleasures that I never go to unless the majority of the people I'm with want to, and when you make cheddar bay biscuits at home (And I'm even LAZIER than the recipe posted, I just use bisquick) you control the salt, and thus, the universe.

edit: I also want to add that I learned how to make cheddar bay biscuits from a "le me" reddit strip or whatever the heck those stupid meme strips are. As it should be trashy and hickish to learn how to make them.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2014

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

Clavietika posted:

Hahahaha I love that you weren't wrong about a single one.

If you pinky-swear that you didn't look before you made your guesses, that's loving hilarious!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

I think that writer uses "perfect" or "perfectly" in 8/10 descriptions.

SEO BRAH

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aaahhh. I had to look up the acronym but that makes sense.

drat, I love Band Of Brothers. It's so drat good.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

drat, I love Band Of Brothers. It's so drat good.

It really is so drat good acceptable excellent exceptional favorable great marvelous positive satisfactory satisfying superb valuable wonderful ace boss bully capital choice crack nice pleasing prime rad sound spanking sterling super superior welcome worthy admirable agreeable commendable congenial deluxe first-class first-rate gnarly gratifying honorable neat precious recherché reputable select shipshape splendid stupendous super-eminent super-excellent tip-top up to snuff

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

it's really annoying, I have to do it for my company's website, and I just feel all sorts of moral turpitude doing it.

the results are ridiculous effective though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
gently caress, no recipe for Panda Express sweet & sour sauce. I can never get the day-glo colour to look authentic, and it just loving ruins my reproduction of their twice-lacquered pork.