Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

doogle posted:

Yeah they are fixing it. The insurance estimate is $8900 using used parts, I'm insisting on new parts including new wheels as I do track the car and really don't want something to go wrong at 120+. I bought the car new, looks like I'll just keep it forever now.

Get the quote for new parts, take the money and don't put the car in the shop yet. Buy 1M fenders and bumpers. Take it to a good shop to have them painted and the wide rear arches fabricated.

There are multiple people on 1addicts who have done this. One guy estimated the cost for his conversion was between $10k and 15k, so it looks like you're right in that range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Guess what $8500 in damage looks like?

Guess whose insurance still didn't total their car? :woop:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe you would have avoided the accident if those large fuzzy dice (hanging like testicles from your rear view mirror) weren't blocking your view :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Maybe you would have avoided the accident if those large fuzzy dice (hanging like testicles from your rear view mirror) weren't blocking your view :v:

Is that not illegal in most states? Can insurance use that against you on a claim?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Man, it's been a bad week for goon cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You guys stop breaking BMW's. I was going to take out the M3 but now I'm more scared some dip poo poo is going to run into me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Since my 325iS is in the shop I'm stuck driving my POS 318iS and I forgot how fun it is to drive, even though it looks terrible. I haven't driven this thing since September.

The Ground Controls on the 318iS are much better than the soft as hell H&R coils on the 325iS.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

Since my 325iS is in the shop I'm stuck driving my POS 318iS and I forgot how fun it is to drive, even though it looks terrible. I haven't driven this thing since September.

The Ground Controls on the 318iS are much better than the soft as hell H&R coils on the 325iS.

I need to get some ground controls for my 325is, as eibach springs are just too drat soft. The lighter front on my M42 powered cars makes it handle just a bit differently.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My buddy who is doing an e36 clutch job just rounded off, then broke an easy out in one of the Allen head bolts that hold the guide tube on. :negative:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

My buddy who is doing an e36 clutch job just rounded off, then broke an easy out in one of the Allen head bolts that hold the guide tube on. :negative:

A good pair of vice grips - clamp the gently caress out of it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
No dice, its an auto swapped with a zf320. The inner supports in the bellhousing preclude even using 10mm bolts to hold the sleeve in so there's no room for vice grips. I still don't understand why they couldn't have used torx. Ugh.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
So the head broke off, and then the EZ-out in the shank? Yeah, he's pretty hosed there. Maybe try a machine shop and see if they can do anything fancy? Not gonna lie, I'd probably just use 3 bolts and JB weld :v:

ZF320s aren't too expensive IF you can find one nearby. Usually only 300 bucks or less.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Goddamnit, I'm buying an E30.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

So the head broke off, and then the EZ-out in the shank? Yeah, he's pretty hosed there. Maybe try a machine shop and see if they can do anything fancy? Not gonna lie, I'd probably just use 3 bolts and JB weld :v:

ZF320s aren't too expensive IF you can find one nearby. Usually only 300 bucks or less.

The grizzled old dude whose shop we're borrowing came to the same conclusion. He also agreed that leaving it alone would be okay since the bolts obviously aren't moving with any sane amount of torque. The car will be getting some sort of engine swap before another clutch job so fingers crossed. :gibs:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I heard this was the place for wrecked BMW's. Brother's car, quick look and I think we'll be able to get it back on the road. Low speed and the radiator/bumper took most of the force.

Convenient he bought a parts car the other week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sucks man, that looks like it will cost quite a bit to weld in a better crossmember.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Started on my e46 front shocks again today, ended up redoing the side I had already done, as the old strut top bearing had some play in it.

Had a absolute nightmare getting it back together as my spring compressors wouldn't shorten the spring enough to get it in. Once I get it done I realise not only is there still play in the strut top bearing, but I've also forgotten to fit the bumpstops. And my Allen key broke off in the top of the strut.

So;
A) is a bit if moment in the strut too bearing normal?
B) Can I run without a bump stop for a week / forever.

loving raging, going to go get drunk!

doogle
May 24, 2003

As a result of that dude hitting my car I will now have a full M3 suspension minus the rear lower camber links. They also gave me the option of M3 or solid bushings, I went with aluminum for the differential and M3 for the subframe.

The entire left side of the suspension was damaged due to it sliding into the curb. Both front and rear subframes are being replaced and every suspension component as well. They are still seeing if they will be able to get me an entire new set of wheels instead of just 3.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Aluminum bushings sound awful--are you really sure you want to do that?

doogle
May 24, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Aluminum bushings sound awful--are you really sure you want to do that?

For the diff it doesn't really increase NVH, aluminum subframe bushings make the car unbearable on the street though which is why I went with the M3 bushings. The reason I went with aluminum bushings for the diff because it helps reduce wheelhop.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

doogle posted:

For the diff it doesn't really increase NVH, aluminum subframe bushings make the car unbearable on the street though which is why I went with the M3 bushings. The reason I went with aluminum bushings for the diff because it helps reduce wheelhop.

I have aluminium diff bushings in my M3, with OE subframe bushings and I get a LOT more diff whine noise transmitted into the cabin. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with OE diff bushings, but it's not nearly annoying enough to undo now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SlapActionJackson posted:

I have aluminium diff bushings in my M3, with OE subframe bushings and I get a LOT more diff whine noise transmitted into the cabin. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with OE diff bushings, but it's not nearly annoying enough to undo now.

Yeah, solid diff bushings are known to be brutal for whine. This is exactly why I went poly subframe bushings and OE diff bushings. Everything in the driveline I try to keep OE or near OE so I don't drive myself crazy with noise and vibration.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Just snagged a ZF320, driveshaft, and 3.23 LSD from an e36 at a local junkyard for $165. Trading the 3.23 LSD for an e30 3.25 LSD.

Traded my damaged S62b50 for $600 + an M52b28 with an M50 manifold, e34 oil pan, e28 motor mounts, and a brand new rebuilt head along with a full e36 M3 exhaust adapted to e30 fitment with OBD2 stainless manifolds, the ecu + harness, a UUC Evo 3 short shifter, and poly engine mounts.

The brown e30 still has GC coilovers and camber plates, Treehouse FCABs, new control arms, poly RTABs, AKG +12mm poly subframe bushings, a walbro 255 fuel pump, and a Bride Zeta III fixed bucket seat.

Since I've got the 135i as a DD, it's time to turn that brown fucker into a track car. Out comes the sunroof cassette and interior!

All I need now is a clutch and flywheel and a pair of axles to have a running car. Picking up the motor this coming weekend.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Please tell me what a horrible idea it would be to sell my 2004 E55 with 70k miles and buy an 08 M5 6-speed with 65K miles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cyrezar posted:

Please tell me what a horrible idea it would be to sell my 2004 E55 with 70k miles and buy an 08 M5 6-speed with 65K miles.

Looking forward to pictures of your new M5.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cyrezar posted:

You came to the wrong place.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cyrezar posted:

Guinness posted:

You came to the wrong place.

Get a Benz. There is a that objective enough?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Is a battery adaptation/reset/whatever required for a battery change in an E90 M3?

If so, what are the DIY electronic options? I've seen the Bavarian Technic, but also the generic INPA cables and software...

If I need to buy something, it'd be nice to get something that's compatible with the E90 and my new E39.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Cyrezar posted:

This pleases mein Führer. Need more stats though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

meatpimp posted:

Is a battery adaptation/reset/whatever required for a battery change in an E90 M3?

If so, what are the DIY electronic options? I've seen the Bavarian Technic, but also the generic INPA cables and software...

If I need to buy something, it'd be nice to get something that's compatible with the E90 and my new E39.

I think it's only required if you switch to a battery with significantly different specs, like going from a non-AGM to an AGM but I could be wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I think it's only required if you switch to a battery with significantly different specs, like going from a non-AGM to an AGM but I could be wrong.

It's required if you go from old battery to new battery. The BMW engineers were kind of smart in that they made it so the car realizes the battery is losing voltage over time so the car turns of certain things and adjusts for different voltage over time. The stupid part is they didn't put a reset into the onboard computer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4390581824.html
If I could get this for $2k would it be worth it as a DD after throwing the AC poo poo back into it, fixing the seats, and doing suspension?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I don't know my BMW pedigree, but I need a dd by the end of april and this 318is is the right price http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2-days-only-W0QQAdIdZ577537659

Can I make a 318is racecar, or is the modding community more focused on the full size models?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

TWSS posted:

I don't know my BMW pedigree, but I need a dd by the end of april and this 318is is the right price http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2-days-only-W0QQAdIdZ577537659

Can I make a 318is racecar, or is the modding community more focused on the full size models?

the 318 hatch is kind of a mix of a e36 sedan front and a e30 rear. Between those things you could make it a super fun bang-around car, but I don't think it would be worth the cost and effort to make it into a track car.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

televiper posted:

the 318 hatch is kind of a mix of a e36 sedan front and a e30 rear. Between those things you could make it a super fun thing to bang around in, but I don't think the cost of making the real effort to make it a track car would be worth it.

Alright, I'm going to go check it out tonight and see how it drives. This will be the 3rd vehicle I've test driven this week along with a 1987 golf and a 1989 4runner. Both of those had horrific rod knocks, so here's to hoping this one doesn't idle like a jackhammer!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

TWSS posted:

They're slow. Really slow. Other than that I think they're good cars and that sounds like a good price. Be prepared for that driver's seat to be hosed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Back in 2008 there was some blonde chick at a BMWCCA day at Thunderhill in Norcal that had some tweaked out 318 hatch and was insanely fast, she must have had some sort of S5x E36 M3 engine swapped into it.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 26, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

televiper posted:

the 318 hatch is kind of a mix of a e36 sedan front and a e30 rear. Between those things you could make it a super fun bang-around car, but I don't think it would be worth the cost and effort to make it into a track car.

But that one isn't a hatch? That is a coupe and it will have the Z-link rear suspension, not the e30 style semi-trailing arm.

You could make a racercar (all the aftermarket e36 parts are interchangeable) but the M44 is a turd. Start with a 325 or 328.

At that price do not expect a street legal car, (if ontario has safety inspections). I can already see typical rear quarter panel rot so you will want to thoroughly inspect underneath.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shady Seller Dude posted:

Has to be gone by Wednesday night, as is, needs work, runs great, new windshield, brakes, HID headlights.

No questions, email to see it, first with cash drives it away.

Uh did no one read the description? Either this car is full of cocaine residue and bodily fluids or this car is on it's last leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I rode the bus out to his place and he already sold it :argh: