Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Heavy metal oh man I loving love artifacts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

Heavy metal oh man I loving love artifacts...

Isn't there a Wrath, but for Artifacts in one of those sets..?

Also I'm pretty excited to play All Ravnica (plus Shadowmoor and Eventide..?) again!

Was there anything worth big bucks in Odyssey Block?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

Also I'm pretty excited to play All Ravnica (plus Shadowmoor and Eventide..?) again!

Creeping Corrosion was in Mirrodin Beseiged but technically it's a Day of Judgment for Artifacts :eng101:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
:lol: at the Core Crazy one. Predict exactly 0 players will enter that over the others.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems you don't know what format you are playing until after you enter the event.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Entomb, Burning Wish, Cabal therapy, and Genesis are all over 10 bucks on http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz Mtgo prices are probably somewhat the same. Cabal Coffers, Ichorid, Mirari's Wake and Cunning Wish are all decent for money as well.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Can you bestow Herald of Torment on Baneslayer Angel? I have no idea if you're supposed to consider it as a demon after you've chosen to cast it as an aura (since it isn't a creature at that point, I think?).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Can you bestow Herald of Torment on Baneslayer Angel? I have no idea if you're supposed to consider it as a demon after you've chosen to cast it as an aura (since it isn't a creature at that point, I think?).

It's an aura when you cast for bestow.

So yeeeesss?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boy of Joy posted:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems you don't know what format you are playing until after you enter the event.

Yeah reading it again it sounds like you're right, which stinks but I guess is in keeping with the "oh man WACKY april fools" theme. No one wants to draft all coresets though when those other sweet options are available :\

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

From what I understand from the comprehensive rules, first you choose which mode of a spell you're using, then you choose targets. So because you choose to cast it as a aura first, it doesn't have a creature type at the point that you choose targets, so Baneslayer won't be an invalid target.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

It's an aura when you cast for bestow.

So yeeeesss?

Yeah, I think this is right. When it's an Aura it's not a creature, and Demon is a creature type. This stuff is why the Tribal supertype was needed to put creature types on other type cards.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

And if it drops off the enchanted creature when it dies, and becomes a creature, it's not 'entering the battlefield' as a creature correct? So for example, Champion of the Parish would never get the +1 for a bestowed Nyxborn Shieldmate?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
MTGO thinks it isn't allowed, I just have no idea if that's a bug or if it's supposed to work that way.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Wanna play dem Slivers. Wanna get all sliver loving crazy all day.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mezzanon posted:

Wanna play dem Slivers. Wanna get all sliver loving crazy all day.

You have a one in eight chance to get dose crazy slivers.

And a one in eight chance for EIGHT CORESETS. :barf:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Chainsawdomy posted:

And if it drops off the enchanted creature when it dies, and becomes a creature, it's not 'entering the battlefield' as a creature correct? So for example, Champion of the Parish would never get the +1 for a bestowed Nyxborn Shieldmate?

Yeah, it always was on the battlefield, it just changes types. Which is also why it can attack immediately, assuming it's been on the battlefield for a turn already.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

bhsman posted:

Here's Aatrek's posts on the deck:

-Burrito Primer w/Mimeoplasm win condition

-Burrito Primer with Underworld Cerberus win condition

I link both because while the Cerberus WC is the newer and theoretically 'better' option, Spirit of the Labyrinth has cast some doubt and made some people head back to the original Mimeoplasm win con (which is the one I prefer).

Regarding the Spirit of the Labyrinth problem, can't you just do everything else, play the Maniac, and cycle Street Wraith in the next upkeep? Or are there enough Slaughter Pacts out there that you can't rely on that?

On a similar point, is Firedrinker Satyr good in a way I don't understand? Because it seems to be a 2/1 for 1 with pretty serious downside and an overcosted firebreathing, and I just can't see how you get value from it, yet it seems to be somewhat sought after, people want to use it.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 26, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Reading MaRo's newest article on how Heliod got designed and there are several designs in there that would have see a lot more play I think than what we ended up with. My personal favs:

quote:

Heliod (version 11)
3W
Legendary Enchantment Creature – God
7/5
Vigilance
Heliod is indestructible.
Your opponents' permanents enter the battlefield tapped, and their creatures don't untap as normal during the uptap step. At the beginning an opponent's upkeep, he or she may pay 1 per creature to untap those creatures.
As long as your devotion to white is 5 or less, Heliod isn't a creature.

Heliod (version 12)
3W
7/5
Vigilance
Heliod is indestructible.
As long as your devotion to white is five or less, Heliod isn't a creature.
Each creature your opponents control has "At the beginning of your upkeep, tap this creature unless you pay 1."

Heliod (version 16)
2W
5/6
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to white is less than five, Heliod isn't a creature.
Attacking creatures you control have first strike.
3W: Put a 1/1 white [Disciple] enchantment creature token onto the battlefield.
Heliod + Sphere of Safety softlock becomes tier 1, forever changing the course of W/x decks; Move over Thassa we've got another god in town, hilariously creating yet another good-to-great white 3-drop.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Regarding the Spirit of the Labyrinth problem, can't you just do everything else, play the Maniac, and cycle Street Wraith in the next upkeep? Or are there enough Slaughter Pacts out there that you can't rely on that?

On a similar point, is Firedrinker Satyr good in a way I don't understand? Because it seems to be a 2/1 for 1 with pretty serious downside and an overcosted firebreathing, and I just can't see how you get value from it, yet it seems to be somewhat sought after, people want to use it.

It is overcosted, but just the fact that it can bust through Sylvan Caryatids makes it reasonable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I do find it humorous that the Zeus of Theros isn't as good as some random shitfuck who just attained Godhood.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
He's not even as good as a bunch of rats standing next to another bunch of rats.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

He's not even as good as a bunch of rats standing next to another bunch of rats.

Then again the single most powerful object in all of Magic is apparently a flower.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Myriad Truths posted:

It is overcosted, but just the fact that it can bust through Sylvan Caryatids makes it reasonable.

I think at just R for firebreathing, even with the drawback, Firedrinker would be way too good. That card is crazy aggressive.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BizarroAzrael posted:

\

Decks that are interested in it don't give a poo poo about the downside.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Emrakul trades with 21 birds in combat.

edit: or 10 flying pack rats.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

kizudarake posted:

What's your lists?

MURDERFARM: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murderfarm-
I've picked up One more Hero's Downfall for the list since this, so I'd actually run three and move one ratchet bomb to the side. Right now, the Downfall's and Ultimate prices are in...

bUG: http://deckstats.net/deck-3845551-e25dfc0be3660117d791258f92cf5a97.html
Do you want a god damned poo poo ton of rear end loving on board interactions? Do you want hard to kill creatures? Do you like Kiora? Build this fucker and INTERACT WITH EVERYTHING

Mono U: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/77570-mono-blue
Pretty standard list.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

vOv posted:

Then again the single most powerful object in all of Magic is apparently a flower.

A mechanical flower.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mulletstation posted:

Emrakul trades with 21 birds in combat.

edit: or 10 flying pack rats.

4 flying pack rats and the 6 swamps they came from :ssh:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm selling most of the older version of this deck in the trading/buying thread in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I haven't tried drafting in the MTGO beta client in forever. Is it normal for the tournament page to show all matches including yours as 0-0 even after you've won the round and are just waiting on the other games?
And for it to say "Waiting for more players to join the queue" at the bottom of the tournament page after you've finished your round 1 games?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Entropic posted:

I haven't tried drafting in the MTGO beta client in forever. Is it normal for the tournament page to show all matches including yours as 0-0 even after you've won the round and are just waiting on the other games?
And for it to say "Waiting for more players to join the queue" at the bottom of the tournament page after you've finished your round 1 games?

Yes and yes.

Also, I kind of want to do the Sliver event, if only to go all in on the Necrotic Sliver deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

a dozen swans posted:

Yes and yes.

gently caress, this is the shiny new client they've been pushing for how long, and this garbage is normal? Is there any way to see the current status of the other matches?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

gently caress, this is the shiny new client they've been pushing for how long, and this garbage is normal?

Welcome to MTGO! Removing features and making the game less stable over time since 2003!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah the new MTGO client is a piece of poo poo for completely different reasons than the current client is a piece of poo poo.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
At least the new client's UI isn't obviously from before years started with "2".

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry but I think it's fair to say part of the problem is people who think the client sucks still pay for it, giving WOTC no incentive to improve or make it better since they are continuing to get your money :eng101:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

After playing Hearthstone and having the client run really smoothly without taking a ton of resources for no reason or randomly crashing for no reason I somehow hate the wide beta client even more than I ever thought I could.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

morning wood posted:

Sorry but I think it's fair to say part of the problem is people who think the client sucks still pay for it, giving WOTC no incentive to improve or make it better since they are continuing to get your money :eng101:

What they aren't continuing to get is even more money. When the Mike Jordan's of your game are tweeting about how lovely your product is, that becomes real incentive to improve.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

After playing Hearthstone and having the client run really smoothly without taking a ton of resources for no reason or randomly crashing for no reason I somehow hate the wide beta client even more than I ever thought I could.

I've never played MTGO but all of what you mention couldn't make up for Hearthstone being boring as hell. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I only ever use MTGO to occasionally draft (then sell the cards to fund future drafts) or the odd Momir game. I can't imagine investing in Standard or Modern on it.

It's nice to be able to draft DGR again on a whim, cause where the hell else am I going to do that? But every time I use it I'm reminded of why I use it so infrequently.

• Locked thread