Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

PopRocks posted:

I honestly don't understand how David's Bridal stays in business. Literally every bride I've talked to has had only negative experiences with their customer service, and they basically only sell out-of-style strapless dresses that look totally 90s and tacky.

When your entire business hinges on what is not planned to be repeat business, and you're big enough that a lack of word of mouth wont hurt you..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

quote:

Destiny’s sister, Bliss Esposito, read a poem she had written, called “They Won a Wedding,” which ribbed the couple for their protracted courtship. “So today here we stand, too late to falter, with Kenny and Des finally at the altar,” Bliss read. “They’re surrounded by loved ones, some close to tears, and, oh, did I mention the fifteen hundred conventioneers?”
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/04/21/030421fa_fact_mead?currentPage=all

This kind of poetry should be illegal.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

PopRocks posted:

I honestly don't understand how David's Bridal stays in business. Literally every bride I've talked to has had only negative experiences with their customer service, and they basically only sell out-of-style strapless dresses that look totally 90s and tacky.

I like the concept of David's Bridal since not everyone can or wants to spend $1000+ on a dress to wear once, but their execution is horrible. I went into one once thinking I'd get bridesmaids dresses from them since my bridesmaids were spread out across the country but they could all get to a DB. I was harassed for my contact information from the second I stepped in the door, and when I finally gave in to hopefully make them leave me alone to browse they sold it to quite possibly literally every wedding vendor on the planet.

Their dresses are also on par quality-wise with those cheap-rear end prom stores that pop up in malls every spring. DB seriously has no redeeming value except for cheap dresses but you get what you pay for.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I have to ask my wife and some of our friends about dirt on David's Bridal. She and them used to work for them at their corporate headquarters. I remember going over there for lunch with my wife a couple times (company cafeteria) and there were a bunch of models constantly walking around in dresses.

My wife worked there because she has been working for a small photography service as an event coordinator, when it was bought up by DB to try and roll out a national photography service from their stores. They bought maybe a 20 person firm, and they got totally slammed. The closed it all down maybe 2 years after the fact.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Does anyone have any experience with doamore.com? My significant other and I have been looking into them a little bit recently for getting an engagement ring. They seem like they're a decent company, with some nice designs and willingness to customize (and substitute moissanite in for diamonds, which is good for us), plus they evidently use some of their profits to help drill water wells in the developing world.

Seems like they're pretty new, though, so the reviews out there are fairly limited (albeit universally positive, from what I've been able to tell).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PopRocks posted:

I've had friends who had an OK experience with David's. I think if you're the kind of bride who isn't super excited about the dress and just want to get it over with at a reasonable cost and with a minimum of shopping days, it works out OK, although I imagine now just ordering something off the internet serves that demographic better. Whenever I went in there there also seemed to be a lot of very young brides (i.e. recent prom dress customers).

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit: sorry, this was a pointless comment to make which is not worth wasting more words on. I apologize]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 26, 2014

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009
^Ouch.
I actually got my dress at Davids, and it was a pretty good experience. You just can't ever go on a weekend, at which point it turns into some kind of rodeo. But Davids was so much better than the bridal salon I went to, I was able to get a dress in my price range and not feel looked down upon for not being a size 2. The salon I went to effectively ignored me as soon as they heard my budget, despite the fact that I specifically chose a salon that stocked the lower end designer whose dresses I liked. I was stuck alone in a dressing room with dresses that were 4 sizes too small, not at all the style I asked about, and my consultant completely vanished. I felt like a whale and cut the whole appointment short, worst wedding related experience I've had so far.

I'm sure the quality varies greatly by store for Davids, but I had a wonderful consultant who helped a ton with my indecisiveness. She even came in on her day off when I came in the second time, since she knew I was coming in from out of town. It's not for everyone, but if you have a low budget, are uncomfortable buying clothes online, or are not a size 6, Davids isn't the worst choice.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I didn't want to spend more than $500 on a dress and didn't want it to be a months-long ordeal, so I rolled in there on a weekday and after exhausting all the expensive or the cheap and unflattering choices the "consultant" suggested, I made an appointment to come back. I had a different person who actually understood what would look okay on me. That's when I finally found a dress I actually liked from flipping through some lookbook for the hell of it. Now I get to go back to there to get ripped off on alterations that I'm sure I could have done elsewhere for less.

Honestly though, I am probably just a bitchy customer. No big poofy dresses, nothing that felt "heavy" or was hard to walk in, no train. I have small boobs so I flat out refused strapless dresses, didn't even want the little mesh straps they could add on. So there went 90% of their stock, especially stuff in my price range. Then I was pissed to discover that the gowns I liked on the website were actually really cheap and crappy in person.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 26, 2014

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

EvilElmo posted:

I'm going to Singapore and Taiwan at the end of the year and plan to drop on my knee.

Of those two locations, any ideas on which would be the better place to go ring shopping? Prices in Australia are a bit over the top. Or are we best to just stick to online?

I'd encourage you to buy in Australia. You'll need a jeweler in the future for service, and if you buy in Asia there won't be any deals. Jewelers tend to go for the jugular when they smell a tourist.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

I'd encourage you to buy in Australia. You'll need a jeweler in the future for service, and if you buy in Asia there won't be any deals. Jewelers tend to go for the jugular when they smell a tourist.

"Service"?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

"Service"?

Probably a reference to polishing, replating, and resizing if needed. Most white gold rings today have a rhodium plating to make them whiter. It eventually wears away and needs to be replated. Usually it's a pretty small cost.

Platinum and palladium usually aren't plated, and just need to be polished from time to time assuming you don't like a well-worn look.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

burnsep posted:

Found an old New Yorker article I though you all might find interesting http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/04/21/030421fa_fact_mead?currentPage=all
This is the most depressing thing. :smith: I wonder how things have changed in the 10 years since this was written.

Come on, though, David's is not the devil, and it's crazy rude and unhelpful to say all their customers are stupids. I considered a dress from there, so here's my take on them. the pros are:

You can get a dress quickly
You can try on a dress in your size!! If they don't have it in their store they will ship it for free.
Wide price range, goes very low
Convenient cause they're open a lot
They carry lots of different style dresses- there's knock-off "on-trend" dresses, along with their plethora of cheap strapless ones.
Their higher end designs are higher quality than lower end salon brands like Alfred Angelo or Mori Lee, imo.
Convenient if you wanna coordinate a large or spread out wedding party
You can try on more dresses in an appointment because they let you dress yourself (seriously, it went sooo much faster there)
** You can get a short dress! And have a few options! **

I made appointments on weekday nights and didn't have a problem. The salespeople were young girls who were positive and attentive and clearly had some customer service training. I knew they were trying to sell me a dress, but it wasn't stressful. They gave me 2 follow up calls, which I thought was ok.

But dear mother of God, do NOT give them your real email or address!!! A thousand times, THIS:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was harassed for my contact information from the second I stepped in the door, and when I finally gave in to hopefully make them leave me alone to browse they sold it to quite possibly literally every wedding vendor on the planet.

For comparison, I ended up buying a dress from a local salon that got some good reviews online. It was typical of all the other salons I visited. I'm a street size 4 and all their samples were 10-12, so they required those massive chip bag clips to keep the dresses on me. I absolutely wanted a short dress with straps. This completely doesn't exist in any salon in my area. The consultants kept trying to talk me out of it and sell one of their boring long, mostly strapless stock styles.

Those chip clips can cinch in waists, but they aren't going to help you determine how a dress will fit your bust and shoulders. I suspect strapless dresses sell so well just because that's what looks the best when clipped in the back. In the end, I had to order a sample for a $50 fee. It was was hard to get an appointment, since they are closed sunday and monday and only open past 5 one day a week.

In general, I felt like the employees- the same type of middle aged ladies mentioned in the new yorker article :)- were alternatively fawning over me and telling me I looked like a princess and rude and dismissive to me, telling me I'd look like I "was on vacation" in a short dress, acting like I was inconveniencing them by wanting something they didn't carry and wandering away to answer the phone or help other customers for long periods of time while I stood there in a ridiculous poofy dress waiting for them to take it off me already!

The owner definitely applied negative sales pressure that stressed me out- imposing a timeline I needed to decide by, saying I could only try on the dress a certain amount of times, I should have made up my mind by now, ect. She was defensive about questions I asked and played on my anxiety/naivete to some degree. For example, I asked if we should order a size smaller than the one she suggested and she responded with an exasperated "Are you a wedding professional? No? I am, I've been doing this for 20 years....blah blah blah" I would totally take the 2 follow up calls from David's salesgirls over that.

So I'd say traditional salons have some obvious problems and there's a large segment of women for whom David's is a good choice for various reasons. Just know what you're getting into and omg I can't say this enough- DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR CONTACT INFO.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I bought my wedding dress from David's and I totally love it. The price was right and the quality is fine for a dress I'll wear for eight hours on one day of my life. Looks awesome on me, too, and my experiences with the consultants were all perfectly pleasant, to varying degrees.

It was also important to us that DB be an option for our bridal party, because for some of them cost is definitely an issue and DB has some perfectly nice dresses for well under $100. We were able to find an exact match for our color in some higher end lines as well, so we basically sent all of the info to our girls and told them to get what they were comfortable with.

Saying that we're stupid because the service that DB offers fits our needs is just ridiculous.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

So I came here to ask a question and got really distracted writing that post :)

Alterations- the salon I bought my dress from said they'd charge $150 to adjust the straps which are embellished and way too big. Everything else about the dress is fine. They say they usually charge $300 if they have to do a hem. Does $150 sound right or should I try to find a seamstress/tailor who will charge me less? $150 seems crazy steep, but I know nothing about this and I think the fix might be complicated because the straps need to be cut down a lot and that involves removing and redoing beadwork. I thought I'd try to get some opinions here before I start lugging the dress around to different people.

Here's the dress for reference:
http://www.morilee.com/bridals/voyage/6742

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

For those sleeves $150 is reasonable to shorten them. That beading will make it a lot more complicated than just ripping a seam and re-sewing it since they have to make sure the beading still looks right.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit: I don't know why I'm posting about this, this is silly. I apologize, sorry.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 26, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My wife got her dress from DB, and it was fine. One thing that really pissed me off is that the dress was $400, and I was thinking "great, saved some money from what we were expecting". Then, they charge $400 in alterations for bustles or some crap.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

kernel panic posted:

I bought my wedding dress and I totally love it.
Oh hey there! I'm stoked dress shopping went well for you.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

For those sleeves $150 is reasonable to shorten them. That beading will make it a lot more complicated than just ripping a seam and re-sewing it since they have to make sure the beading still looks right.
Thanks for the feedback, that seems to be the consensus from my internet research. I wasn't too keen on driving around to different places with the dress to get estimates, anyway. It's probably more convenient to just have the salon do it.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

EvilElmo posted:

"Service"?

The most important thing you can have when you don't understand the intricacies of a product is a salesman that's trustworthy. You might pay a little more in Australia, but you know the jeweler will still be there in a month if you have any issues.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

VivaNova posted:

So I came here to ask a question and got really distracted writing that post :)

Alterations- the salon I bought my dress from said they'd charge $150 to adjust the straps which are embellished and way too big. Everything else about the dress is fine. They say they usually charge $300 if they have to do a hem. Does $150 sound right or should I try to find a seamstress/tailor who will charge me less? $150 seems crazy steep, but I know nothing about this and I think the fix might be complicated because the straps need to be cut down a lot and that involves removing and redoing beadwork. I thought I'd try to get some opinions here before I start lugging the dress around to different people.

Here's the dress for reference:
http://www.morilee.com/bridals/voyage/6742

I would get multiple quotes. I had similar straps shortened (with beading, but less than yours) for $30. I just had to drive it to 3 places first before I got a quote that didn't make me want to barf. I saved over $300 on alterations by lugging the dress around.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
A wedding megathread, thank god. I just accepted my boyfriend's (err, fiance, gotta get used to that) proposal yesterday and I'm starting off with some light research. I don't know anything about weddings--this is my first, hopefully only, engagement. We have a very small budget of $3k or less, unless parents decide to pitch in. We are both easygoing, no bridezilla bullshit. My sapphire engagement ring (in process from a jeweler on Etsy) is $75. His will be tungsten-carbide for $50 or less. We may continue using our engagement rings as wedding rings, haven't decided yet. It's nontraditional, but so are we.

Guest list shouldn't be a problem... we are drawing the line at immediate family, their partners, their kids, and a few very close friends of ours. We're hoping to throw a combined outdoor wedding/BBQ reception at his parents' house to keep costs down. About pictures, I just don't know. Wedding photographers are expensive. Rather than having a professional photographer, I was thinking we could just set up a couple tripods to catch the ceremony on video camera. Then we'd hand out disposable cameras to guests to take pictures of whatever they want during the reception (I'm prepared for the possibility of a few stealth penis pics). We won't be serving much alcohol, maybe just a champagne toast and then BYOB?

The problem of the moment is, I can't wear dresses off-the-rack because I'm plus-size. I also don't want to pay for tailoring. I found a dress I really like online, and can get it custom-made to my measurements for around $375 after shipping (including the optional jacket). Again, I don't know poo poo about weddings or what things "should" cost. But that seems like a really good price. Any way I could possibly beat that? If I do get a dress with a train, should I put some kind of band at the bottom so it's not dragging in the grass and dirt all day long?

I'd appreciate any tips about anything. I'll be making an account on TheKnot to see how that works. It'll help a lot to keep a running to-do list. I know there's a lot I haven't thought about yet (cake, seating, a shower that I might not have, hair/makeup, what if it rains? should we sign up for a registry? etc). Thankfully, there's a lot of time and I'm an obsessive planner.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Personally I'd spring for a photographer. You're only doing this once and if you get zero good pictures from your guests that's it. No re-dos, no nice wedding pictures to hang on your wall ever. You don't have to spend gobs of money, you could see if you can get a photography student from your local college or a friend with a nice DSLR but I would definitely not forgo having a designated picture-taker.

As for cheap dresses, a lot of bridesmaids dresses come in white and aren't nearly as expensive as a wedding dress. However $375 is a really good deal for a dress so if you like that one I'd just get it. For reference my dress cost $1500 before alterations and that was considered a good deal for the dress I got. If you get one with a train you can take it into a tailor and get a bustle put in (depending on the dress style it's a series of ties or a couple buttons to pin the train up) so you don't have to hold it the whole reception.

If you live near a college, definitely hit them up for cheap services. We hired a string quartet out of the local university's orchestra for 1/4 the price of professionals and they sounded just as good. You could likely also get a photography student or a florist too depending on how big the college is.

For your other questions:
Cake: Get a small fancy cake to do the cake cutting with, then sheet cakes to feed everyone. Some people even have styrofoam tiers covered in fondant on their fancy cakes.
Seating: Event rental companies are your friend.
Shower: No one threw me a shower and I don't feel like I missed out on anything
Hair/makeup: I got my makeup professionally done because I never ever wear makeup beyond the bare minimum foundation/mascara/lipgloss so I knew I couldn't pull it off myself and still look good. Professional makeup artists know how to apply makeup to make you look great in pictures so you don't get all washed out or red or whatnot. Hair depends on how you want it done.
Rain: Have a tent rental on standby from the same place you rent your chairs and tables.
Registry: You should make a few because people will ask and if you don't register for anything people will get you what you think you need (ask me about my ten billion tacky picture frames).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

You know, I always wonder if it would help if people posted their general location in case anyone needed vendor recommendations. We got an amazing cake that fed well over 100 people for (if memory serves right) $300. And some other cheap services too.

Depending on how many people, you could definitely do catered food and some other stuff for $3000. The key to any wedding budget seems to start at the total guest list.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 31, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm biased because I am a wedding photographer, but get a wedding photographer. It's hugely beneficial to have someone whose job it is to get the pictures done. Absolutely sit down with them first and get a feel for their style, to see if it meshes with what you want, though.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Personally I'd spring for a photographer. You're only doing this once and if you get zero good pictures from your guests that's it. No re-dos, no nice wedding pictures to hang on your wall ever. You don't have to spend gobs of money, you could see if you can get a photography student from your local college or a friend with a nice DSLR but I would definitely not forgo having a designated picture-taker.

As for cheap dresses, a lot of bridesmaids dresses come in white and aren't nearly as expensive as a wedding dress. However $375 is a really good deal for a dress so if you like that one I'd just get it. For reference my dress cost $1500 before alterations and that was considered a good deal for the dress I got. If you get one with a train you can take it into a tailor and get a bustle put in (depending on the dress style it's a series of ties or a couple buttons to pin the train up) so you don't have to hold it the whole reception.

If you live near a college, definitely hit them up for cheap services. We hired a string quartet out of the local university's orchestra for 1/4 the price of professionals and they sounded just as good. You could likely also get a photography student or a florist too depending on how big the college is.

For your other questions:
Cake: Get a small fancy cake to do the cake cutting with, then sheet cakes to feed everyone. Some people even have styrofoam tiers covered in fondant on their fancy cakes.
Seating: Event rental companies are your friend.
Shower: No one threw me a shower and I don't feel like I missed out on anything
Hair/makeup: I got my makeup professionally done because I never ever wear makeup beyond the bare minimum foundation/mascara/lipgloss so I knew I couldn't pull it off myself and still look good. Professional makeup artists know how to apply makeup to make you look great in pictures so you don't get all washed out or red or whatnot. Hair depends on how you want it done.
Rain: Have a tent rental on standby from the same place you rent your chairs and tables.
Registry: You should make a few because people will ask and if you don't register for anything people will get you what you think you need (ask me about my ten billion tacky picture frames).
This is all brilliant, thank you so much. I'm adding a bunch of these suggestions to my to-do list. I DO actually live near a private college with a great music school. Our budget is small, but we might be able to afford a violinist or two. :) Preliminary guest list is only 25 adults and a few kids/babies. It might creep as high as 30... not too big. I also just found out that Wegman's (a regional grocery chain) offers a lot of options for picking up premade catered food at very reasonable prices. Crudite platters, subs, full entrees and sides that just need to be heated up, desserts, etc. So maybe we'll do that and rent a pavilion and call it a day.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Wegman's makes awesome sandwich platters, we use them every time we have a largish gathering :)

Our string quartet from the local college cost us $450 (including what we tipped the musicians). If you just got one violinist it would only probably cost you $150 or so.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2014

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

martyrdumb posted:

This is all brilliant, thank you so much. I'm adding a bunch of these suggestions to my to-do list. I DO actually live near a private college with a great music school. Our budget is small, but we might be able to afford a violinist or two. :) Preliminary guest list is only 25 adults and a few kids/babies. It might creep as high as 30... not too big. I also just found out that Wegman's (a regional grocery chain) offers a lot of options for picking up premade catered food at very reasonable prices. Crudite platters, subs, full entrees and sides that just need to be heated up, desserts, etc. So maybe we'll do that and rent a pavilion and call it a day.

Check out some local restaurants for catering platters like that too. We got ours from a local Mexican restaurant, and it was tons cheaper than any of the grocery stores (which I always thought were reasonable for meetings and stuff). Also way tastier.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm lucky that my photographer is a friend of mine.

I'm doing to have cupcakes instead of a wedding cake, and kind of want to bake them all myself, or split them up amongst a few friends, since I want to have several different flavours.

I have no idea about wedding cake toppers. haven't given them a second thought.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Nessa posted:

I'm lucky that my photographer is a friend of mine.

I'm doing to have cupcakes instead of a wedding cake, and kind of want to bake them all myself, or split them up amongst a few friends, since I want to have several different flavours.

I have no idea about wedding cake toppers. haven't given them a second thought.

My bridesmaids and I did this (cupcakes). We made 108 of them from box mix the week before, wrapped and froze them, and then iced them the day before and put some overpriced gold sprinkles on top. They looked and tasted awesome! I bought the box mix on special and spent maybe $60NZD on them with the box mix + eggs/oil? + $19 on the fancy sprinkles. It wasn't too labour intensive. Only two people were really involved in the baking, two of us on wrapping/freezing, and one in the icing, but that was her full-on job for the day before while the rest of us decorated the reception venue. Try and delegate that role if you can. I also purchased some disposable cardboard cupcake boxes (each one held 12) for transporting them, and that was a really good idea.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Moto Punch posted:

My bridesmaids and I did this (cupcakes). We made 108 of them from box mix the week before, wrapped and froze them, and then iced them the day before and put some overpriced gold sprinkles on top. They looked and tasted awesome! I bought the box mix on special and spent maybe $60NZD on them with the box mix + eggs/oil? + $19 on the fancy sprinkles. It wasn't too labour intensive. Only two people were really involved in the baking, two of us on wrapping/freezing, and one in the icing, but that was her full-on job for the day before while the rest of us decorated the reception venue. Try and delegate that role if you can. I also purchased some disposable cardboard cupcake boxes (each one held 12) for transporting them, and that was a really good idea.

Freezing them would be a great idea if I had the freezer space for that many cupcakes, but my freezer is rather small. The wedding should have up to 70 people, so I don't know how I could store that many cupcakes.

I guess my wealthy aunt emailed my mom the other day, demanding to know if she was invited to the wedding, so my mom invited her. Part of me thinks it will be nice to finally meet her, but another part of me has heard the stories of how bossy and pushy and demanding she is, telling my Oma to go do dishes while they were on vacation together and doing nothing but complain. I don't know if she could stand to be at a small, no frills wedding on a farm.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Nessa posted:

I guess my wealthy aunt emailed my mom the other day, demanding to know if she was invited to the wedding, so my mom invited her.
Your mom invited someone to your wedding? Homey don't play dat. Although it may be worth it if she gives you a big enough wedding present.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

martyrdumb posted:

Your mom invited someone to your wedding? Homey don't play dat.

You're new at this, aren't you?

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

LogisticEarth posted:

You're new at this, aren't you?
Well, yes. :ohdear: But overriding that is years of experience setting boundaries with my mom.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

martyrdumb posted:

Your mom invited someone to your wedding? Homey don't play dat. Although it may be worth it if she gives you a big enough wedding present.

I'm mostly expecting no gift from her, as she will likely think that her presence is more than enough of a gift.

At least that's what I gather from the stories I've heard from her....

My other relatives have asked "what colours my house is" because they're making table runners and other things that we don't want, need and will never use.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
So I met with my photographer on Thursday (yes, this is a bit late. I have been working) and I am more than happy with her work. For $1000 we will be technically be getting 2 engagement sessions [time split between 2 locations-- her farm and the wedding venue (a cave)] as well as the wedding with a second shooter, rights to the edited as well as copies and rights to the unedited photos. My Husband-to-be is a photographer as well so we wanted to be able to do some editing ourselves. BUT!!!! She is in need of a new website and some branding products and graphic design and webdesign was the hubs-to-be's old job so we are in the works to get a deal worked out to trade services! WOOT for cheap/free photos!

I also found and ordered my dress from a lady online for half the price of the store ($600 at David' Bridal, $320 online with shipping, and the underskirt thingie) AND I booked part of our honeymoon tonight. We are not getting married until October, but we are going to Orlando, Key Largo, Big pine Key and Key West Fl and it is SUPER expensive in Key West so I wanted to get that out of the way. $700 for 4 nights in a B&B that only serves continental breakfast. Honestly the cheapest thing that I could find online for Key West.

Also some were asking about posting where we are from for vendors and such. I am from South Central Kentucky.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Tell me more about a cave wedding!

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Gravitee posted:

Tell me more about a cave wedding!

They do them at Howe Cavern in NY:
http://howecaverns.com/weddings-caves.php

They do the ceremony at a formation called the bridal alter because there's a heart shaped calcium deposit there, and they've been doing weddings since the cave was discovered in the 1800's.

I saw someone do it last time I was there- it's an awesome idea, really not tacky at all imo. Your guests take the whole tour which includes a boat ride. But there's a limit on the number of guests and it's not an option if you have guests with mobility issues.

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009
For those that have been discussing registries and trying to get away from the traditional, home-stuff registry, there are a lot of options out there. To name a few:
-Zola is a site where you can register for anything, from cash for your honeymoon to stuff from stores, and people can go in together on group gifts on here.
-Wedding Futures is a site where people can gift you mutual funds or stocks to build up your financial portfolio.
-Card Avenue lets you create a registry for gift cards

Just a note to watch the fees on some of those registry sites, some have higher service charges than others. I made our honeymoon fund on Wanderable and their fees seemed pretty reasonable after I shopped around a couple of those honeymoon sites.

To anyone looking for a dress:

I have to recommend the Ouma shop on Etsy. A woman named Monique runs it and she has gorgeous gowns which she makes herself. I wanted something different than what I was finding in the stores. I wanted a short dress with straps and just a simple puffy tulle skirt on the bottom. Our wedding isn't super fancy so I didn't want to do a full-length gown. Monique was very responsive to me and so easy to work with and she custom made my dress to my measurements. I couldn't be happier with the dress! It was $300 for her to take an existing design she had and just change the top from strapless to scoop neck with cap sleeves. I highly recommend taking a look at her stuff, it's all beautiful. Here is her shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ouma?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wait until after August 9th for my full recommendation but if anyone is getting married in the Midwest or doesn't mind a "destination" wedding near a midwestern airport, check out http://jonescrossing.com/ It's been the most stress-free experience of my life since they are a one-stop shop. Also pretty cheap. I'm looking at a nice rear end wedding with ~300+ people for ~18K JK fees, ~25K total. I've tried to dog them for hidden fees but there really aren't any. Plus the people there are super chill, just easy to work with. Their in-house DJ likes Country a little bit more than I do, but my fiancee is all about country music so that will be fine. That is really the only downside I can pinpoint. They were even willing to work with us on a couple of (rather obscure) special requests. The 18K quote is assuming we want all of our crazy special requests met (which we will). It's so easy.

Stress free baby. Just gotta sell enough poo poo to pay for my wedding. Easy-peasy. Highly recommended.