Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

I'm here for the creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah I'm loving stoked for the Jim Henson show here.

EDIT That little flower eyeball they keep showing is cool as hell.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Eee. FizzGig! I didn't even recognize Chiana's actress when she came out.

Edit: I thought Disney owned Henson co. currently.

There used to be a goon that had an animated Fizzgig gif as their av. It always made me smile as I scrolled down.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 26, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
gently caress yeah Fizzgig.

Ooh, undersea. Should get some wild weirdness if they know what's good for them.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm horrible. I keep seeing Brian Henson as a younger Robert Englund.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I don't like Baldy McArrogantBeard much so far.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Can't stand Tina thus far.

That laugh...

E:"I'm gonna get fired" made me lol

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
Did one of the artists have that amazing Diablo costume in their portfolio, or did I hallucinate that? That's pretty badass.

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah I am not liking Tina and was one of those people a fursuit artist?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I had the same question, time to do some internet stalking.

http://alexisrudd.com/gallery.php#filter=.costume Looks furry to me.

Guess you gotta make a living though.

VVV I can't find anything about Russ doing fursuits.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 26, 2014

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Derringer posted:

Yeah I am not liking Tina and was one of those people a fursuit artist?

The guy working with Tina is, I think. They are both completely intolerable.

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

A lot of them were on levels almost like a fursuit artist but the person BFFedora posted was explicitly a fursuit artist.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Yeah, I think I was just thrown off because both of the samples he was shown with seemed to be fursuit heads.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
How much of the build time did Russ spend just kinda sulking and bitching because working with Tina wasn't going his way? Looks like half the time they had him on camera he was just pouting. At least Tina was getting poo poo done.

EDIT: Also the puppeteers appear to be strange and awesome people.

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

They are both pretty terrible.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Even if I end up hating this show I'll keep tuning in for the parts with the performers.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I really like that they're doing full screen tests.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
FLOYD!

I like him. :3: EDIT: apparently they didn't take the performer enough into account. Pity.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Tina and Russ seeing who can knife each other first. This ought to be a gas.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I thought Floyd was adorable.

I also think nudibranches are adorable, which may color my opinion.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
My friend Lex is on Creature Shop. I'm a puppeteer and that's how we met. I'm excited to know someone on a reality tv show.

Fun fact: I also know Katie on King of the Nerds.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The prawn with the sort-of-wings and the red ventral surface is my favorite. Floyd is cute though, you're right.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The judges are very concerned with realism which seems bizarre.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Depends on what the requirements are. This time what they wanted was something you might actually find on the bottom of the ocean, which I think asks more realism than other challenges might.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

HellOnEarth posted:

The guy working with Tina is, I think. They are both completely intolerable.

This. From what we saw, though, she really wouldn't let him say anything during the design process. But there really was no reason to bring up how much he hated working with her at that point.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 26, 2014

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

Well henson creatures tend to be way more realistic than the muppets are, so I get their criticism.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, I hope they both take that as one hell of a wakeup call and start acting like grownups.

Bored posted:

This. From what we saw, though, she really wouldn't let him say anything during the design process. But there really was no reason to bring up how much he hated working with her at that point.

I've worked with people like that, they honestly expect you to rapid-fire right back at them and shoot down their ideas if you don't agree, and they don't take it personally. They were just incompatible and it brought out the worst in them. I think they can both shake it off and start getting better with teamwork.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 26, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That made no sense. The body was the reason the performer couldn't breathe; that seems kind of fundamental.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Roy from face-off and the dude who won tonight's creature shop challenge need to open a shop called "backyard animatronix" or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Why the gently caress did Daran stay?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
How do the contestants not fight over who ends up with the model Tyler ended up with? That girl is amazing how she gets into character, compared to Daran's model who just stood there in a relaxed state.

e: If I have to hear "form language" one more time. It's such a abstract, jargon word.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why the gently caress did Daran stay?

I think it was because Graham's work was uninspired and he had already been given a second chance. Whatever the gently caress it was that Daran tried to make (what was that thing on top of its head?) got more points for trying than Graham did for making a good enough but extremely obvious character.

Personally I think Daran's thing was so horrifically off the mark that he deserved to leave but I think that was the rationalization.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Face Off seems to consider the contestants' full body of work to that point for eliminations more than some other competition shows as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think the judges, especially Neville Page, really took that moleman as a slap in the face. They assume when they do a mutant challenge and give you a one or two word qualifier for the project, you'll let your imagination run wild and come up with something unique. Making a competent moleman with a miners cap on shows he put very little thought into making something actually cool, which is the point of the show. There is no market out there for makeup artists who can make a decent moleman but can't contribute interesting ideas of their own to a project. Gotta show at least a minimal level of creativity.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I'm just burned out on this deadline thing to enjoy these shows anymore.

Please, just one show where they get weeks to work on something.. anything! I know they do it because of a budget, but how about instead of eliminating 9 people, you eliminate 4 over the course of the same amount of time. You just give them a week or longer to do a single project.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Philthy posted:

I think I'm just burned out on this deadline thing to enjoy these shows anymore.

Please, just one show where they get weeks to work on something.. anything! I know they do it because of a budget, but how about instead of eliminating 9 people, you eliminate 4 over the course of the same amount of time. You just give them a week or longer to do a single project.

They have to think of mass appeal. I just don't think a more drawn out kind of competition would have the same kind of draw. People like knowing that every episode someone will win and someone will lose.

Anyway caught Creature Shop just now and it was pretty neat. Russ is absolutely The Worst though so hopefully he gets eliminated soon. Really looking forward to seeing some cool things come out of this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm so disappointed that Graham got eliminated but I really can't fault the decision. I'm also surprised that Niko is clawing his way back on top, I've been expecting him to be eliminated for a while now but he's hanging in there.
Hopefully Daran will take this as a wakeup call to go all out from now on.

Regy Rusty posted:

Russ is absolutely The Worst though so hopefully he gets eliminated soon.

I suspect that Russ and Tina would've been okay if they'd been paired with different people who weren't so tightly wound and they may have even worked together okay around mid season when they weren't so nervous and they'd gotten into the rhythm of the show and worked with different people but as it was they just weren't compatible and they both handled it really poorly. It really killed that episode for me and I really hope the next episode goes a lot better.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pretty sure Tina has some kind of mental problem... bipolar or some poo poo. Seems off to me. Russ handled her in the worst way possible, but based on the previews of upcoming shows, I see him around a lot, and not a glimpse of her, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's eliminated next week.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Face Off: The inconsistency in judging annoys me at times. Some weeks they take the artist's body of work into consideration, some weeks they don't. Clearly this was the former, because even if Graham's moleman was uninspired, it was better than Daran's blue face with white spots and a weird skull cap thing on top. Niko was actually good this week. He's lasted a hell of a lot longer than I expected he would, but at this point I think the final three will be Tyler, Daran and Rashaad. George seems to be one challenge from having his body completely give out on him.

Jim Henson: The show overall didn't interest me as much as Face Off. It seems like there's more generic reality competition show drama, though that might just be because Russ and Tina are both obnoxious. I do like the fact that the one judge looks like Jeff Bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Jim Henson: The show overall didn't interest me as much as Face Off. It seems like there's more generic reality competition show drama, though that might just be because Russ and Tina are both obnoxious. I do like the fact that the one judge looks like Jeff Bridges.

I thought he looked like if the Cowardly Lion was a real life person.

• Locked thread