Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Stymie posted:

how to make people happy

1) don't use science as a cudgel to denigrate those who may have faith as a method of comfort in an uncaring universe

science is my faith op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
noooooo...

they have very specific rules about quoting him. didn't you see the last page?

in any case, y'all should watch connections and the day the universe changed for some good science/history tv. james burke is amazing

i have no idea where you can even find it these days but it's worth it, even if you have to use :filez:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i recommend sublime text 2 or 3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i recommend sublime text 2 or 3

i use notepad++. no need to compile!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

infernal machines posted:

in any case, y'all should watch connections and the day the universe changed for some good science/history tv. james burke is amazing

these own so much. you can get connections 1, 2, and 3 on amazon for $230. :(

i used to have most of connections 1 on VHS, recorded off TLC back in the day.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
it blows my mind that something of value was on the learning channel at one point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

these own so much. you can get connections 1, 2, and 3 on amazon for $230. :(

i used to have most of connections 1 on VHS, recorded off TLC back in the day.

i didn't like 2 or 3 nearly as much as 1. they were made much later and they lost a lot of the style and pacing that made the first work so well. connections 3 was basically a kids science show, it was a good kids science show, but not really the same as connections 1 or the day the universe changed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stoutfish posted:

it blows my mind that something of value was on the learning channel at one point

TLC produced the later versions of the series, the two i mentioned were BBC productions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just for you stymie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QgNpYg0IOU

seriously, it's great

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
connections was a good show

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qntm posted:

hilariously, the life-threatening energy drink in question doesn't even get named
jenkem blast! - the brand-extension new product from the makers of jenkem, now with caffeine, vitamin b-12, and taurine!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

jenkem blast! - the brand-extension new product from the makers of jenkem, now with caffeine, vitamin b-12, and taurine!

comes out the same as it went in! (and vice versa)

sounds better than soylent, anyway

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lol the new x-men movie is called days of future past

last transformers was called dark of the moon

i'm noticing a weird, stupid trend here

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
days of future past was the name of the big cross-time alternate-universe x-men comics storyline that turned the series into the continuity snarl that it is today, they didn't just make it up for the movie

trap sprung, etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm noticing a weird, stupid trend here

the continuing production and release of cartoon/superhero movies?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

when i read reports of mmo players keeling over dead after marathon sessions, i figure that tasps are pretty much redundant at this point

e:

four goddamn liters

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

days of future past was the name of the big cross-time alternate-universe x-men comics storyline that turned the series into the continuity snarl that it is today, they didn't just make it up for the movie

trap sprung, etc
i was thinking more of how they're both almost named after 40-year-old art-rock albums but i guess if a trap exists someone's gotta spring it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Beeftweeter posted:

four goddamn liters

that's only an 8 ounce can once an hour

i'm guessing the kid had some sort of undiagnosed ckd or hypertension or something because a healthy teenager ought to be able to drink a couple of cans of garbage with nothing worse than getting up to pee every 30 minutes and maybe a headache and an upset stomach

either that or the kid had been drinking redbulls instead of water for a long time and it caught up with him

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

angry_keebler posted:

that's only an 8 ounce can once an hour

i'm guessing the kid had some sort of undiagnosed ckd or hypertension or something because a healthy teenager ought to be able to drink a couple of cans of garbage with nothing worse than getting up to pee every 30 minutes and maybe a headache and an upset stomach

either that or the kid had been drinking redbulls instead of water for a long time and it caught up with him

"only" an 8 ounce can an hour

thats a crazy amount of caffeine and whatever else they cram into energy drinks

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

assuming it was red bull then that's about 1.2g of caffeine over 16 hours. an adult would be jittery as hell but fine, but i dunno about a 14-year-old

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

1.2g of caffeine over a 16 hour period is loving amateur hour

if that's all it takes to kill you then you deserved it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
wait that's like six shots of espresso

i have done that in one longish meeting, that kid sucked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MancXVI posted:

he needed that much because he was a fat

it exploded his heart because he was a fat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oops, misread google results. that's more like 18 shots of espresso

still that's only a little more than one per hour

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RealityApologist posted:

I was making an argument about the importance of advocacy and political activism in the face of overwhelming political odds. The comparison was completely appropriate.

I also think it's demeaning to dismiss basic transhumanist principles as merely a "fetish". Its interesting that you would use the term in defense of gay rights, a group which historically was dismissed on exactly the same grounds-- that homosexuality was merely a fetish to be scorned instead of a legitimate aspect of one's identity. As I'm sure you know, transhumanism has deep intellectual ties to gender studies and queer theory (see Donna Haraway, Judith Butler, et al). I have no doubt that all the talk in this thread of "Glassholes" are just the early stirrings of a coming culture war over the rights of cyborgs as a protected class, and that the broad outlines of this culture war will bear a strong resemblance to the political struggles of the LGBT community over the last 30 years.

So it's really disappointing to see you defend gay rights by attacking cyborgs and hurling the same kind of ignorant, dehumanizing rhetoric that the gay community has fought so hard against. It shows just how much of a struggle we have before us.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

gently caress this cyborg earth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

how to make people happy

1) don't use science as a cudgel to denigrate those who may have faith as a method of comfort in an uncaring universe

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the universe is the cudgel

while we stand in mute worship of pop culture figures from the seventies i guess i might as well quote a hollywood type

kubrick posted:

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gently caress cosmos, nu and old

both are penny arcades into physics. cheap entertainment for a mass of humanity unwilling to come to terms with a universe that rejects meaning

reddit atheists and "principled agnostics" and persons of faith with all the best intentions will rot more or less equally in the ground. dust to dust, fsvo "dust" that includes exotic combustion products of onion-shell stars

cosmology is brutal

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

ha ha ha

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
he's enlightened

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
wow i was having my usual existential bullshit evening freakouts and feeling like total poo poo and now i feel a lot better because i didn't post that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

while we stand in mute worship of pop culture figures from the seventies i guess i might as well quote a hollywood type

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MancXVI posted:

i took this much in nodoz just to see what it was like and i was jittery and hyper for two hours then i passed out hard v:shobon:v

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
were you still hard when you woke up?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cosmology is brutal
nah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

were you still hard when you woke up?

yeah, dreamin bout yo mama

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

imposing your post-christian nihilism onto the universe is anthropocentric projection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Heresiarch posted:

wow i was having my usual existential bullshit evening freakouts and feeling like total poo poo and now i feel a lot better because i didn't post that

yeah we all have that freakout daily. just most of us are highly paid computer types

the difference between you and me isn't diagnosis, it's social context. my neuroses are just markers of my ~*~ 10x engineer ~*~ status

you work in a legacy discipline that has meaning to normal human beings, but you work in a corporate environment. the totally natural alienation and discomfort is a diagnosable illness because no man was meant to live this way

• Locked thread