Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was on Rush yesterday, oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Am I supposed to have a problem with them incinerating fetuses? They're just medical waste as they were never alive to begin with. Like what are they supposed to do with fetuses? It seems admitting that fetuses shouldn't be treated that way is tantamount to assigning some sort of personhood to the fetus.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sweart gliwere posted:

I've heard of a (severely depressed) religious person claiming they didn't pay taxes or buy insurance for a decade because "If God wanted me to, he would've told me" - it was like they gave up on life and attributed their troubles to lacking God's favor.

Of course eating food and getting out of bed to go through the motions of life contradict it logically, but depressive thinking coupled with magical thinking must be pretty awful. Living like a junkie without any bliss.

This reminds me of my grandmother. She wouldn't even go to the grocery store to buy food unless she prayed first and God told her it was okay to do so. Her and my grandfather were slightly malnourished.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rosalind posted:

Am I supposed to have a problem with them incinerating fetuses? They're just medical waste as they were never alive to begin with. Like what are they supposed to do with fetuses? It seems admitting that fetuses shouldn't be treated that way is tantamount to assigning some sort of personhood to the fetus.

Yeah, sounds like a classic "gotcha".

Farrok
May 29, 2006

farfegnugent posted:

I just got this gem from my mother:

Along with this link.

Has anyone who's been listening to Glenn and Rush heard this one? I'm assuming that she got it from them. She gets most of her ideas from them. I'm trying not to respond and brutally dissect her little rant point by point.

I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by this one. Maybe it's because she knows I'm pro-choice and sent this only and specifically to me. That little dig at the end about "everyone who says we can't tell a woman what to do with her body" is really something else.

I agree, we should totally be able to tell people what they do with their bodies. That's why I support forcibly extracting people's kidneys for those who need organs. To do otherwise is murdering those poor people who depend on your organs to survive! We could even, like, create a database of people's blood types to quickly find matches and select from those at random. A sort of 'Selective Service', if you will.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just saw this on Facebook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hWwfcsJXHM

It's full of "CHEMICALS" and stuff. Is this poop, or am I the poop?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

farfegnugent posted:

I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by this one. Maybe it's because she knows I'm pro-choice and sent this only and specifically to me. That little dig at the end about "everyone who says we can't tell a woman what to do with her body" is really something else.

Probbly because it's such a blatant lie, it rienforces the huge disconnect between your worldview and your mothers. You're the kind of person who would hear that and be suspicious, she instantly believes it and becomes outraged. I'm struggling with the same thing, my father has become a huge Beck dittohead in his older age. It's disturbing when we realized that the people who raised us may not be mentally sound anymore, if they ever were at all.

e: Also if she doesn't bury her menstrual blood then she's also tossed 'babies' in the trash. But her perception is screaming healthy infants thrown into furnaces, not lumps of unique protohuman tissue.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

farfegnugent posted:

Along with this link.

Has anyone who's been listening to Glenn and Rush heard this one? I'm assuming that she got it from them. She gets most of her ideas from them. I'm trying not to respond and brutally dissect her little rant point by point.

Did she miss these parts of the article?

quote:

Last night the Department of Health issued an instant ban on the practice which health minister Dr Dan Poulter branded ‘totally unacceptable.’

Chalk one up to government single-payer system for fixing a problem with due and proper urgency as soon as they became aware of said problem.

quote:

One of the country’s leading hospitals, Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge, incinerated 797 babies below 13 weeks gestation at their own ‘waste to energy’ plant. The mothers were told the remains had been ‘cremated.’

Another ‘waste to energy’ facility at Ipswich Hospital, operated by a private contractor, incinerated 1,101 foetal remains between 2011 and 2013. They were brought in from another hospital before being burned, generating energy for the hospital site. Ipswich Hospital itself disposes of remains by cremation.

Sounds like the privately operated facility incinerated more fetal remains for heat than the government operated facility did. Normally I wouldn't nitpick this sort of horseshit because it's lovely regardless, but given that she led in on how it's a "government single-payer system" it makes me inclined to believe she thinks this is a natural outcome of government healthcare and not something that a private operation could also do (and in this case did do).

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What are they doing with the remains now then, just chucking them away? Burying them in a fun sized cemetery? Burning them in a way that isn't used to generate energy?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

What are they doing with the remains now then, just chucking them away? Burying them in a fun sized cemetery? Burning them in a way that isn't used to generate energy?

I assume the last one: they'd send them to an actual cremation site to be cremated and disposed of like other remains instead of being incinerated with medical waste. As far as I'm aware the process is pretty much the same if Wikipedia is to be believed:

quote:

The box containing the body is placed in the retort and incinerated at a temperature of 760 to 1150 °C (1400 to 2100 °F). During the cremation process, the greater portion of the body (especially the organs and other soft tissues) is vaporized and oxidized by the intense heat; gases released are discharged through the exhaust system. The process usually takes 90 minutes to two hours, with larger bodies taking longer time.[citation needed]

I think it's a pretty murky moral grey area. If you are of the opinion that a miscarried fetus is no different than a burst appendix that was removed then there's not a problem really; if you're of the opinion that the miscarried fetus had a soul, I can see how you might be upset at the hospital not consulting you on what to do with the remains. Going forward they should probably err on the safe side and just ask any such patients to make informed consent on a method of disposal by cremation. For reference sake I have a distant relative who miscarried and the unborn had a name and they had a service and everything. No harm in respecting their views when it comes to their own bodies and not forcing actions on others.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 25, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But babies are so...packed with fuel.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
It's happening :derp:

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure they aren't burning medical waste to generate energy/heat, but are rather recapturing the heat created by running an incinerator. The incinerator itself runs at much hotter temperatures than any potential medical waste they would burn.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So to be a libertarian it is essential to think of yourself as somehow above normal human behaviors? See: rational actor, colorblindness.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

That's a rather roundabout way for Ron Paul to announce that's he a collectivist now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Not Groups!

But what about Strong Borders ronpaul? Aren't those just arbitrary ways of dividing people into groups?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4XOJcrhT4

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ah yes, the right conveniently discovers racism is wrong at the exact minute it stops being okay to use membership in a group as an excuse to oppress people they don't like the looks of and are asked to consider the effects their policies have on those groups instead :allears:

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is legit and the Chicago Tribune covered it extensively last year. Basically 30 years ago they started making furniture extremely flame retardant after a bunch of dropped cigarettes caused fires, but the flame retardant chemicals are toxic and people don't drop lit things on sofas enough to warrant it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Content posted:

These are only a Few of Obama's Acts:

SECTION I: USING THE IRS AS A POLITICAL WEAPON
ISSUE SUMMARY: The IRS has targeted and harassed conservative groups who are Obama's political enemies - including during the 2012 election year. Section 1, Article 2 of the Impeachment Articles of Richard Nixon stated:
"He has through his subordinates and agents endeavored to cause in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be initiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner."
SECTION II: ASSAULT ON THE FIRST AMENDMENT
ISSUE SUMMARY: A Free Press is the foundation of representative government. Obama's Justice Department has used its power to seize the personal phone records of Associated Press journalists. This far-reaching 2 month , secret seizure of a major news outlet records a very dangerous precedent. If this goes unchallenged, there is no reason they can't do it again to anyone, at any time and for any reason.
SECTION III: BENGHAZI LIES
ISSUE SUMMARY: As more is coming out about the terrorist attack that killed our Ambassador and 3 others in Libya, it is clear the American public was given false information about the attack. The C.I.A. knew immediately it was an Al-Quada associated, planned attack to mark 9/11, yet the official "talking points" were edited to take any mention of that out and keep that information away from the public during Obama's re-election campaign.

SECTION IV: BYPASSING THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS REQUIRED BY THE CONSTITUTION
ISSUE SUMMARY: In 2010, a leaked internal memo from a division of Obama's Department of Homeland Security (DHS) entitled "Administrative Alternative to Comprehensive Immigration Reform" outlined a way to bypass Congress on this issue. It said "this could be a "non-legislative version of amnesty." SECTION V: OBAMACARE ULTIMATELY DESTROYS CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOM
ISSUE SUMMARY: ObamaCare sets up 159 new government agencies - and builds and enormous Soviet-style bureaucratic government administrative apparatus. Obama's Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) violates the 1st Amendment by forcing employers to cover abortion-inducing drugs and contraceptives in the health insurance they provide employees, even if it goes against their religious or moral objections. Additionally, the Supreme Court found the Medicaid expansion in ObamaCare to be a violation of the Constitution.
SECTION VI: OBAMA REFUSES TO ENFORCE LAWS HE DOES NOT LIKE
ISSUE SUMMARY: Labor unions receive special favored treatment under the law. In some industries in some states, it's impossible to work without being a member of labor union. It return for this special favored treatment under the law, labor unions are required to itemize and report all itemized receipts for union expenses. But the Obama Administration has openly announce it will no longer enforce laws requiring labor unions to report how they spend the dues of union members.
Other
SECTION VII: UNCONSTITUTIONALLY LEVYING TAXES ON THE PUBLIC
ISSUE SUMMARY: Under our Constitution, taxes may only be levied on the American people with the approval of our representatives in Congress. When Barak Obama could not get Congress to pass "Cap and Trade", his EPA started auctioning greenhouse gas allowances - basically imposing a tax on emissions. And he bypassed the legislative process required under our Constitution. Some Federal courts are finding that the Obama Administration has exceeded its legal authority with other environmental regulations.
SECTION VIII: DESTROYING LIBERTY

Who's ready for the impeachment hearings after the Republicans win back the Senate? :yotj:

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 25, 2014

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The right magically started seeing people as individuals right when black Americans started organizing themselves for the purpose of promoting their economic and political rights. Blacks are the real racists for even thinking that they as a group have unique concerns, you see. It is no coincidence that the powerful are the most ardent promoters of individualism when collective action might upset the power balance.

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

This is legit and the Chicago Tribune covered it extensively last year. Basically 30 years ago they started making furniture extremely flame retardant after a bunch of dropped cigarettes caused fires, but the flame retardant chemicals are toxic and people don't drop lit things on sofas enough to warrant it.

It's fearmongering as all hell. I have no idea if the actuarial evaluation of exposure versus fire harms reduction merits a policy change, but the raw rhetorical ladening of the trailer doesn't make me feel better. It looks like its claims are directly mapped to the Chicago Tribune article Sinbad's Sex Tape links. I can't read the article due to the paywall, but what I can glimpse of it is every bit as pointlessly scaremongering as the trailer. If the authors use the words "chemical" or "toxic" generically, then it's a safe bet they're not going to give you an honest discussion of the issue. The cancer correlation research looks similarly specious.

Basically, there may well be something to this as an issue, but you should find another source apart from the documentary or the Chicago Tribune to learn about it. The EPA is publishing an environmental impact report soon- that would be a good place to start.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is this about Michelle Obama banning U.S. press from her trip to china? A few people have mentioned it but when googled, it is shows right wing "news" sites.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I say burn all babies to generate energy. As soon as they're born they are tossed into a vacuum tube that leads to the rooftop incinerator. Wacky fact: the vacuum tube system actually consumes MORE energy than the incinerator produces!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

And that's where I gave up, because Frank and I have had a number of conversations before on the topic of racism and privilege, and she honestly believes that white people are the most oppressed race because it's okay to hate us.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

And that's where I gave up, because Frank and I have had a number of conversations before on the topic of racism and privilege, and she honestly believes that white people are the most oppressed race because it's okay to hate us.

The best response is historical context. Whiteface has rarely been used to make fun of or oppress white people, at least not on the scale that blackface has for black people.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

We discuss this case study to the communist (progressive) mind and consider how hypocrisy and injustice are welcomed in dealing with both the 1st and 2nd Amendment.

http://youtu.be/RzBkcUZnm-w

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think Nick Cannon in white face is pretty funny. It also doesn't have the same racist historical baggage that Black-face does so why it would be racist...hell I don't see it

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Dyz posted:

The best response is historical context. Whiteface has rarely been used to make fun of or oppress white people, at least not on the scale that blackface has for black people.
Seriously, whiteface is kinda dumb, but it's never been used to send the message, "These people are less than human," least of all on the scale that blackface has. If it weren't for blackface being associated with horrifically racist minstrel shows and such, if it weren't part of a centuries long effort to dehumanize a group of people, in that hypothetical world it would be on the same level as whiteface. But in real life there's no comparison. It's the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dyz posted:

I've tried that avenue before with the idea of minority scholarships, and she refused to accept that historical context is a thing. At least everyone else we were hanging out with disagreed.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW
So, I get my parents' mail sometimes--they're in the process of relocating, so a good chunk of their "important" mail gets dropped at my place. I picked up this gem today. I edited it to remove their personal information, but otherwise, this is their Republican Platform Survey in all it's unedited, horribly skewed glory.

I love how they can't even keep their section headings neutral. "Entitlement Spending"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My co-worker, a "republican" (upstate New Yorker who is actually a liberal but won't admit to not actually being a republican) who probably hasn't voted republican since I was born got one of these 2 years ago and brought it to work for fun. It was some fun reading. Given that she worked on republican campaigns in the 70s, I think seeing what they have become secretly kills here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the anti-stem cell fervor came about because people think that non-embryonic bodies don't have stem cells, which is absurd. Adults have stem cells. They aren't always easy to find and aren't as good as embryonic stem cells but really, the rhetoric used by some of the far right was "stem cells only come from murdered babies, we must stop this!!!!"

That may have been true at first but actually the anti-stem cell stuff was bolstered by talk of adult stem cells, because then the talking point became "Adult stem cells are much more potent than embryonic stem cells!" There were lists of all these wonderful things adult stem cells had done and therefore it's good to outlaw embryonic stem cells because they suck anyway.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

farfegnugent posted:

Along with this link.

Real talk her, ask why she WANTS this to be true so bad. If need be, I guess, link to some David Wong and ask her what she thinks. Try not to fall into the trap of wanting to identify in contrast to what you hate, etc etc.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 26, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Brazen Apothecary posted:

So, I get my parents' mail sometimes--they're in the process of relocating, so a good chunk of their "important" mail gets dropped at my place. I picked up this gem today. I edited it to remove their personal information, but otherwise, this is their Republican Platform Survey in all it's unedited, horribly skewed glory.

I love how they can't even keep their section headings neutral. "Entitlement Spending"

That's "begging for donations" lightly disguised as a survey. It's a pretty common tactic. They basically just throw the the survey results out because, as you noticed, it's completely worthless as a tool to measure anything. The survey works as a convenient way to remind the voter of all the horrible things the opposition is doing so that they're more receptive to the idea of sending money.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ErIog posted:

That's "begging for donations" lightly disguised as a survey. It's a pretty common tactic. They basically just throw the the survey results out because, as you noticed, it's completely worthless as a tool to measure anything. The survey works as a convenient way to remind the voter of all the horrible things the opposition is doing so that they're more receptive to the idea of sending money.

Its results can also be selectively quoted back to the base as a sign of ideological coherence.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, the right conveniently discovers racism is wrong at the exact minute it stops being okay to use membership in a group as an excuse to oppress people they don't like the looks of and are asked to consider the effects their policies have on those groups instead :allears:

Oh no, the Right searched for years for the reason racism is wrong and they finally found it: Because the Left is racist.
It's all part of their decades spanning "N-n-no YOU!!" campaign.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Call whoever posted that a socialist/commie for wanting to put the benefit of the group over the selfish greed of the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thanks for voting for Reagan.

Twice.