Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I can finally be the Skeletor I always wanted to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The fact that you can paint your armor is a pretty big plus to me. Could you make that whole outfit say completely red top to bottom if you wanted? Do you have to unlock dyes?

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Macaluso posted:

The fact that you can paint your armor is a pretty big plus to me. Could you make that whole outfit say completely red top to bottom if you wanted? Do you have to unlock dyes?

Yeah dyes are unlocked and rare. You can get a bunch from doing the challenges around Nexus and there are A LOT of challenges to do.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
I'll play the fanboy for a minute. Wildstar deserves a white knight.

This was the first weekend I was able to play, despite getting 2 previous beta weekends that happened to collide with weekend-getaways with the wife :)

I love every second of my playtime (despite getting weird 5+ second delays on nexus, but no problems on the other server). I haven't played an MMO for more than a month since WoLK, but I am very excited for Wildstar. Everything is done so well. There's a plenty of little bugs and wrinkles to iron out, but I'm confident that they will be ironed out shortly.

For example, I saw a random box drop out of the air and spawn an "airdropped rocksomething" animal. I killed it and got a little drop, decent xp and some achievement. Then I turned around and there was a massive public boss fight going on, GW2 style. It had interesting attacks that I was able to eventually predict and learn. It was very satisfying and it gave me a TON of xp. On my way back to town, I saw a big red rock and picked it up. It said HURRY BACK and I was running a hundred mph across the savanah, making it back in the nick of time.

The game is full of stuff like that along with plenty of MMO filler to increase stats and feel stronger. I especially liked the flat reputation requirements: 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000. Was able to get awesome upgrades just doing whatever was next on my list and killing whatever I saw.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I didn't play much during the closed beta weekend that just passed but from what I did play, I enjoyed every moment of it and I wouldn't mind pre-ordering this later.

On the other hand...Wildstar did just give me a reason to upgrade my toaster. :retrogames:

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
is there going to be an open beta ?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FoolishLobster posted:

Yeah dyes are unlocked and rare. You can get a bunch from doing the challenges around Nexus and there are A LOT of challenges to do.

You can't go 20 minutes without tripping over a dye crate, unless you mean specific hues.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

FoolishLobster posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds exactly like GW2 dyes, where you unlock a color once and can use it forever, and certain colors are very expensive or difficult to find. Are dye colors per character or account?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deki posted:

You can't go 20 minutes without tripping over a dye crate, unless you mean specific hues.

Yea there are various rarity hues, but it's almost impossible to get far without most of the base colors like red being unlocked in some form. You may have to work to get a special hue like bright cherry or whatever, but if your goal is wanting red pants, you're fine.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Varicelli posted:

is there going to be an open beta ?
Supposed to be one in May.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I can finally be the Skeletor I always wanted to be.

With colours this vibrant, doing anything but clownsuit colours is criminal.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
:spergin: Uhhhh I think you mean solid black with some blood red for additional darkness.

^^^ ~50% of GW2 player fashion.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

RottenK posted:

:spergin: Uhhhh I think you mean solid black with some blood red for additional darkness.

^^^ ~50% of GW2 player fashion.

Clearly pink and orange is the fashion they should be aspiring to have. My toon in GW2 wears pink and light red.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

They're updating housing so you can add decor to plugs except Activity Plugs woop woop

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Out of curiosity do those who are playing think Wildstar will manage to stick around? I'd say I enjoyed Rift quite a bit but I still eventually drifted away from it (and the same goes for GW2) after about a month.
It seems like this is the path of every MMORPG and it'd be nice if they have some systems in place to keep you logging in every few days once you've done levelling or exploring.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Well, Rift is still around and doing pretty well, AFAIK, so I think that if the devs don't gently caress up too much Wildstar can manage to not die too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wildstar's success will probably be determined by it's ability to provide non-raiders with content and progression as well as making the raid content worthwhile and not tedious. GA looks like most decent guilds will be farming at least the first half within a month of launch, and I don't know anything about datascape.

As it is now though, I think the Elder gem mechanic will keep a decent chunk of people playing, if and only if they can provide some post-50 solo content beyond Daily islands. There will almost certainly be a huge post-launch dropoff though. This isn't the vanilla wow days where it was the only game in town.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

As gloom and doom as I can be about the game, I still think it'll have a fairly strong market presence when it comes out. I don't really think it'll be as big as some other games, but it's got a great aesthetic, great sense of fun, awesome housing, and some sort of end game raiding/dungeoning/pvp activities, and those things will keep it pretty alive and well.

Everything that I'm negative about, and pretty much all that I've seen others be negative about, is subjective as hell (since the TTK seems to have been cut down again) and when something is subjective there will people who like it and people who don't. The people who like it will probably play this game. I can at least admit that some of my own negativity has to do with the fact that so much competition for my time is coming up in roughly the same period, reaper of souls and watchdogs for some, and so Wildstar would have to be absolutely outstanding for me to jump on it right off the bat, which, sadly, it just isn't for me. In 3 months we'll see if that changes, I suppose.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Deki posted:

Wildstar's success will probably be determined by it's ability to provide non-raiders with content and progression as well as making the raid content worthwhile and not tedious. GA looks like most decent guilds will be farming at least the first half within a month of launch, and I don't know anything about datascape.

As it is now though, I think the Elder gem mechanic will keep a decent chunk of people playing, if and only if they can provide some post-50 solo content beyond Daily islands. There will almost certainly be a huge post-launch dropoff though. This isn't the vanilla wow days where it was the only game in town.

Agreed. I'm still very much on the fence about preordering this game and have less than a day until my 25% off voucher expires. I wouldn't pay full price for this game after spending about 3 hours combined playing during the last 2 beta weekends. If I'm already struggling to find motivation to log in during a beta, I get the feeling I'll have buyer's remorse in the near future.

Making sure they provide an adequate amount of content for solo people that's fun and rewarding will be critical to the game surviving. I'd go out on a limb and say that maybe 25% of the people preordering Wildstar are doing so with the intention to participate in 40 man raids. The people that are somehow still into that type of MMO gaming are likely still playing WoW and will only play WS until Warlords of Draenor comes out. At that point they had better hope they have a solid solo and small group end-game set up for the people that stick around.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I have a strong feeling Blizzard may start the Warlords beta at or around Wildstar's release.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wish they'd just done a straight copy of Tera's combat system, especially the combo chain attacks. They've got the best combat I've ever seen in an MMO. Unfortunately their questing is among the most tedious. I think they have exactly 6 quests and each quest hub simply changes the creature/item names and maybe the models or textures and that's it.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Wish they'd just done a straight copy of Tera's combat system, especially the combo chain attacks. They've got the best combat I've ever seen in an MMO. Unfortunately their questing is among the most tedious. I think they have exactly 6 quests and each quest hub simply changes the creature/item names and maybe the models or textures and that's it.

quests are like this in every mmo

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Zlodo posted:

TSW wants to have a word with you. For all its faults it still has the best questing I've ever seen in an MMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sophism posted:

TSW wants to have a word with you. For all its faults it still has the best questing I've ever seen in an MMO.

I think it's that all of the quest givers generally have memorable personalities. Mix that in with genuine puzzles and it got pretty good. Shame the game itself was kinda crap.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Zlodo posted:

Nevermind the fact that, like most other MMOs, there's a decent spattering of interesting quests. I'd wager some of their "outside the norm" quests tend to go further outside than most MMOs, but maybe I just missed the others where you play carmageddon on a motorcycle or use a jetpack to hop between towers so you can use your rocket launcher to put down unruly prisoners. Think Wildstar is also the first game besides HL2 that's headcrabbed me.

But Blue's other point is totally true: they totally should've copied that combat system from a game that wasn't even released when they had started designing Wildstar's combat system.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think it's that all of the quest givers generally have memorable personalities. Mix that in with genuine puzzles and it got pretty good. Shame the game itself was kinda crap.

It's a combination of that plus a lot of quests being found objects in the world instead of people, multistage quests that don't have you going back or even calling up an NPC with a progress report, and the variety of things you do while questing. The quest devs for TSW did a very good job of making questing much less about tedium and much more about engaging and interacting with the game world itself, to the point of even having us submit bug reports during the beta if we finished a quest and couldn't find another one close by to chain to the last one. A lot of freakin effort went into making the questing in TSW feel good, and it wasn't really the voice acting or even the writing that really made it great.

Even the kill 6 bears quests evolved into being about the game world itself through the stages of the quest, and usually would have you try a new method for ending the threat of zombie bears once and for all or what have you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zlodo posted:

To a degree, but in Tera, at least past the teens, that's how ALL the quest hubs are, literally. They don't even really vary the number of mobs or items you have to pick up much if at all. Got to the point where we just referred to the stuff we were supposed to pick up as "words on the ground". "Hold on, I still have 3 more words on the ground."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bUm posted:

But Blue's other point is totally true: they totally should've copied that combat system from a game that wasn't even released when they had started designing Wildstar's combat system.
When they started designing Wildstars combat it was essentially a normal tab target mmo. And Im pretty sure TERA was being shown waaaay before they started Wildstar development. Like I remember seeing early korean alpha videos like 5 years ago.

Bauxite posted:

It's a combination of that plus a lot of quests being found objects in the world instead of people, multistage quests that don't have you going back or even calling up an NPC with a progress report, and the variety of things you do while questing. The quest devs for TSW did a very good job of making questing much less about tedium and much more about engaging and interacting with the game world itself, to the point of even having us submit bug reports during the beta if we finished a quest and couldn't find another one close by to chain to the last one. A lot of freakin effort went into making the questing in TSW feel good, and it wasn't really the voice acting or even the writing that really made it great.

Even the kill 6 bears quests evolved into being about the game world itself through the stages of the quest, and usually would have you try a new method for ending the threat of zombie bears once and for all or what have you.

You really cant compare TSWs quests to any MMO. Even the most unique quests in any MMO doesn't compare to sitting down for 3 hours, writing in a notebook cryptic ciphers and trying to decipher them to solve just one part of a massive puzzle. No other MMO has made me go into other ARG sites to look for clues or made me think completely out of the box to finish them.

Too bad the combat was balls and the design team was hamstrung by a horrible publisher that couldn't care less about improving the title post launch.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 25, 2014

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.
Here's the MMO I want:

- Questing from TSW (main story quests, action quests, side quests, exploration/investigation...no big quest hubs, but story driven quests that happen to allow you to pick up incidental side quests on the way, related to the area you are in)
- Combat system from Tera
- In game item crafting from SWG (in combination with EVE, next point)
- Area control, and structure limits like EVE (a "null sec" vs "high sec" style, put the good resources and player factories in low/null sec)
- Guild Structure/City building from SWG (I would include a mayor/politician class like SWG, or perhaps a focus like corp management in eve)
- Personal structures from current Wildstar
- Public quests from WAR (or FFXIV or Rift, but less invasive than original spamming of rifts or fates, more meaningful tiered events like WAR).
- In game markets/AH from EVE
- Moderate death penalties (xp loss similar to FFXI but maybe a bit less severe, maybe limited body loot similar to UO, but again a bit less severe)
- could include policing like eve's concord for the higher security areas
- remove all BoP/BoE, items can be looted/resold
- skill wheel like TSW, limited active skill selection
- greater skill training/dependencies for more advanced equipment similar to EVE

Basically, I want an MMO where you can have serious group/guild/corp based cooperation, or could do solo stuff. Have in game markets that are meaningful to content generation, require transportation of goods between markets to allow for some level of raiding and/or premium markets. Allow world based pvp and area control, with meaningful requirements and necessity for holding land (helps promote pvp), but allow individual homes to be safe and customized. And require a bit more thinking about how to do questing/leveling/raiding/etc by enforcing a penalty on deaths (doesn't have to be huge, just something to make you think).

I'd like people to be able to jump in and find action both in terms of PvE and PvP, and to be able to build niches of gaming styles and not be forced into the WoW-esque end gaming token grinding or raiding. SWG was a great example of how you can incorporate social structures w/out having to go full EVE, but EVE builds in a system of creating meaningful PvP content by allow players to choose how to play the game.

And I really, really want questing to be more than simply click a bunch of quests, skip all the text, and just follow an arrow. Like previously mentioned, TSW had perhaps the best questing I've seen in an MMO. You could play this game as a single player RPG and not be disappointed, and the multiplayer nature was just a side note.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

killingtime posted:

Here's the MMO I want:

- Questing from TSW (main story quests, action quests, side quests, exploration/investigation...no big quest hubs, but story driven quests that happen to allow you to pick up incidental side quests on the way, related to the area you are in)
- Combat system from Tera
- In game item crafting from SWG (in combination with EVE, next point)
- Area control, and structure limits like EVE (a "null sec" vs "high sec" style, put the good resources and player factories in low/null sec)
- Guild Structure/City building from SWG (I would include a mayor/politician class like SWG, or perhaps a focus like corp management in eve)
- Personal structures from current Wildstar
- Public quests from WAR (or FFXIV or Rift, but less invasive than original spamming of rifts or fates, more meaningful tiered events like WAR).
- In game markets/AH from EVE
- Moderate death penalties (xp loss similar to FFXI but maybe a bit less severe, maybe limited body loot similar to UO, but again a bit less severe)
- could include policing like eve's concord for the higher security areas
- remove all BoP/BoE, items can be looted/resold
- skill wheel like TSW, limited active skill selection
- greater skill training/dependencies for more advanced equipment similar to EVE

Basically, I want an MMO where you can have serious group/guild/corp based cooperation, or could do solo stuff. Have in game markets that are meaningful to content generation, require transportation of goods between markets to allow for some level of raiding and/or premium markets. Allow world based pvp and area control, with meaningful requirements and necessity for holding land (helps promote pvp), but allow individual homes to be safe and customized. And require a bit more thinking about how to do questing/leveling/raiding/etc by enforcing a penalty on deaths (doesn't have to be huge, just something to make you think).

I'd like people to be able to jump in and find action both in terms of PvE and PvP, and to be able to build niches of gaming styles and not be forced into the WoW-esque end gaming token grinding or raiding. SWG was a great example of how you can incorporate social structures w/out having to go full EVE, but EVE builds in a system of creating meaningful PvP content by allow players to choose how to play the game.

And I really, really want questing to be more than simply click a bunch of quests, skip all the text, and just follow an arrow. Like previously mentioned, TSW had perhaps the best questing I've seen in an MMO. You could play this game as a single player RPG and not be disappointed, and the multiplayer nature was just a side note.

There was a thread in MMOHMO a while ago that was all about this, building the most unrealistically "perfect" MMO for each goon.

e: Found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430488

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.

CLAM DOWN posted:

There was a thread in MMOHMO a while ago that was all about this, building the most unrealistically "perfect" MMO for each goon.

e: Found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430488

Thanks, I'll read that.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When they started designing Wildstars combat it was essentially a normal tab target mmo. And Im pretty sure TERA was being shown waaaay before they started Wildstar development. Like I remember seeing early korean alpha videos like 5 years ago.
Wildstar "development" (making their in-house engine) started in 2005, so the ball probably was rolling on Wildstar first. Not sure when the actual game development got underway though (Wildstar was first revealed in August 2011, after TERA's Korean release, but still well ahead of US release). It seems a little weird to do an absolute copy of combat system (for a western-marketed MMO) that had not yet been market tested with a western market given how core it is to a game.

I'll concede that TERA's combat could've influenced Wildstar, but Carbine probably started their own combat system before seeing the verdict ("best MMO combat ever" - many people) upon TERA's US release.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I will never understand why people like Tera's combat so much. :psyduck:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I will never understand why people like Tera's combat so much. :psyduck:

The jiggle animations

I thought it was pretty fun, but not so great that it would make me play it on it's own. I'll take Rift's soul system and tab combat over action combat with singular class roles any day.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Eltoasto posted:

The jiggle animations

I thought it was pretty fun, but not so great that it would make me play it on it's own. I'll take Rift's soul system and tab combat over action combat with singular class roles any day.

Tera's combat is pretty interesting, but Tera also suffers from the fact that Elin exist.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When they started designing Wildstars combat it was essentially a normal tab target mmo.

It really feels like all they did was tack AoE onto every ability and call it a day.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

The jiggle animations

Personally, I loved what Tera's combat was trying to do: actual collision detection. If they could take that idea, where it's basically a fighting game, and replace literally every other part of it with systems from other MMOs that were also extremely good, it'd be unironic GOTY material.

Really, combat was the only part of Tera that was good, which is probably why people reference it so much. I think they could have executed it better, maybe with more customization with character builds and such.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
fighting game style combat does not work with input delay at all though so.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Tera had a great system for it - based on my play of it, combat was very smooth.

Like WildStar, when the abilities were lagged to poo poo during the weekend while little else was affected, similar things happened in Tera.

This led me to suspect that the combat system in Tera was decoupled from much of the rest of the game and that WildStar may have learned from that to mitigate things due to their more action-oriented combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

TheMopeSquad posted:

It really feels like all they did was tack AoE onto every ability and call it a day.
That would be true but you have to remember Wildstar uses a targetless combat system while other games like STO, Champions Online, NW and TESO require targets for many abilities to take action.
TESO is a good example, for melee abilities to work the player needs to have a target in range and in their reticule.

One of the first Wildstar gameplay videos from 2011 and at the time targeting was required for abilities to be used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 26, 2014

• Locked thread