Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

Scientists, am I right? They think they're so smart, but they're not! With their giant doors and doohickies pointing into the room.

I see Osborne's not getting off so lightly - what's that Bell one from? I can't place it but it looks really loving dark, not like his usual mood...

Isn't the Bell one referencing the picture of Diana Spencer in her see through frock, when she was a nanny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"Scientists have discovered more proof of the BIG BANG which was the start of creation."

A portrayal of a harmonious multi-gendered and multi-ethnic work environment? What did you do with the real Mac!?

EDIT:

Trickjaw posted:

Isn't the Bell one referencing the picture of Diana Spencer in her see through frock, when she was a nanny?
Yes.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

baka kaba posted:

Scientists, am I right? They think they're so smart, but they're not! With their giant doors and doohickies pointing into the room.

Jesus Christ it's a light-hearted joke. Mac does a lot of cartoons that deserve scorn, but this notion to immediately slate him for imagined slights is bloody ridiculous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's not realistic, because it's dark outside but the builders are working.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wolfsbane posted:

1) No, they wouldn't.

2) Kreider wouldn't have drawn it, because he's not an anti-intellectual moron.

Half of Kreider's work is "my friends are slobs and slackers and so am I." The joke is right up his alley with the only non-Kreiderism being that his astronomical comics tend to personalize the phenomena in question rather than the people who discover them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Private Eye posted:

Jesus Christ it's a light-hearted joke. Mac does a lot of cartoons that deserve scorn, but this notion to immediately slate him for imagined slights is bloody ridiculous.

Most of what I said was a lighthearted joke too :ssh:

He still has a track record for anti- intellectualism though, which isn't surprising when he works for the Daily 'we uncover the truth about "climate change"!' Mail. You've never seen this setup before? It's a pretty common trope, intellectual/expert proclaiming something with authority, fooled by something completely different going on behind the curtain, usually involving working class people doing something mundane. People pissing into wine bottles, through a doorway you can see people drinking from wine glasses and saying 'excellent vintage notes of summer meadows', that kind of thing

And I hadn't seen that Diana picture, the blurred kids' faces made it look like a child abduction or something

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

baka kaba posted:

People pissing into wine bottles, through a doorway you can see people drinking from wine glasses and saying 'excellent vintage notes of summer meadows', that kind of thing

Mocking pretentious posh people for drinking expensive wine is anti-intellectual?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crashbee posted:

Mocking pretentious posh people for drinking expensive wine is anti-intellectual?

Pissing in wine is also 'working class people doing something mundane'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Crashbee posted:

Sure, in the sense that exploring and enjoying something and broadening your horizons is considered pretentious in and of itself. It's not the people that are getting mocked for being posh, it's the activity and the idea that they think they know some things that other people don't. Call it anti-perceived-elitist, if you like. Ties into the 'that's not for the likes of me' attitude

Paladinus posted:

Pissing in wine is also 'working class people doing something mundane'.

Pisswater is pretty mundane. Don't worry, in a Mac cartoon it would be his 'hoodies and scroungers' characters doing it so he could do the double.

Really I went off on another track there, but I'm talking about 'ordinary people' getting one over on 'them', either through Fight Club-esque 'they think they're connoisseurs and they can't even tell when we give them something terrible' dirty jokes, or just getting on with normal life while 'experts' read into completely ordinary things. It's a common setup for getting a dig in

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on George Osborne's budget – The chancellor's budget targets grey vote with savings and pensions reforms"

Telegraph:

Independent:

New pound coin designed to combat counterfeiting

Times:

Mail:
"In today’s budget a cut of 1p from a pint of beer was announced."

quote:

“Don’t look so cross. I’ve just saved 20p”

Express:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You know I only found out like a week ago that Farage hasn't even turned 50 yet.

I mean he doesn't look old, I guess I figured that a literal caricature of everything British that's died a welcome death must be older than 49.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian did a Generation Y Takeover:
Generation Y comic-strips from around the world.

Sofia Niazi, 27, London, UK
Sofia is an illustrator and editor who works on OOMK (One of my Kind), a magazine about women, creativity and spirituality. “I’m a bit obsessed with the internet and whether it’s going to fry our brains and turn our bodies to mush. So far research is inconclusive. One thing that a lot of people seem to agree on, though, is that the internet has resulted in an increase in our working hours. I feel like one of our new jobs – particularly important to a lot of young people today who have grown up with the internet – is ‘digital self-management’ or ‘reputation control’.”

Sam Wallman, 28, Melbourne, Australia
Sam is an organiser for a large trade union in Melbourne. He recently illustrated a first-person account of what it’s like to work in a detention centre for asylum seekers, run by the British company Serco. “Australia is a very wealthy country, and some people argue that this has led to an unquestioning, apolitical generation of young people – I reckon maybe there’s something else at work.”

Sumit Drew, 26, Delhi, India
Sumit is a cartoonist based in Delhi. He is the author of the graphic novel The Itch You Can’t Scratch, as well as Kashmir Ki Kahani, an online webcomic that narrates the history of Kashmir conflict, and he is passionate about Indian education. “The world’s largest youth population crams in dingy corners during the most important years of their lives! I think that’s absurd. What do you think?”

Waraq Collective, Beirut, Lebanon
Waraq – Joan Baz, 27, Ashley Choucair, 28, David Habchy, 28, and Hussein Nakhal, 25 – is a multidisciplinary collective working in illustration, animation, art direction and performing arts.“We are a quartet that live and work in an old Beiruti yellow house called Beit Waraq. This house has become an open cultural space for the community, hosting monthly workshops, screenings, performances and other cultural events.We have inherited religious and political consciousness from our parents, an issue that is increasing the gap within our peers. This is an issue that starts in school, continues in university, and follows us all throughout our careers. We are called the postwar generation, yet we live in a state of war. Maybe it is about time we choose what to inherit.”

Uploaded these thinking the final scrip was released, it wasn't but have it here as script 4 will be out in a couple of hours.

:canada: honk!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 20, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As if UKIP would take issue with a white Canadian immigrant to the UK.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

And the final IF... this week:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on doubts about George Osborne's 2014 budget – Institute for Fiscal Studies says that George Osborne's 'unspecified spending cuts' may leave projections for the public finances on an uncertain footing"

Telegraph:

Times:

Express:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Said it before, but why the gently caress does Brown always draw the early 40s, smooth-faced, slightly pot-bellied but otherwise average-build George Osborne like a Ken Clarke-style overweight bruiser?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Alan Titchmarsh probably does look like that naked though

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Russia's annexation of Crimea from Ukraine – Vladimir Putin laughs off western sanctions against Russia as he completes the annexation of Crimea"

Observer:

"Eyes down with bingo caller George - Chris Riddell on the chancellor's pensions, beer and bingo budget"

Sunday Telegraph:

Arsene Wenger's 1000th game in charge of Arsenal (didn't go well)

Yesterday's Times:

Pour encourager les autres.

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Ed Miliband under pressure from MPs as Tories surge in polls

Independent:

Nato warns of Russian army build-up on Ukraine border

Times:

Express:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Adams appears unsure about the rules of bingo.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe of the week

Ah yes, Johnson's most obvious feature, his mosquito-like proboscis.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe Thatcher's found a new host?

I need to ask, what's the EU doing to Putin in that Rowson? Around his backside. Should I even ask?

Also new Paul Thomas mascot spotted

I'm going to mentally insert that dog into every cartoon from now on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Maybe Thatcher's found a new host?

I need to ask, what's the EU doing to Putin in that Rowson? Around his backside. Should I even ask?
Stealing his wallet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Also new Paul Thomas mascot spotted

I'm going to mentally insert that dog into every cartoon from now on
I vote for the amazing levitating woman just to its right.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Stealing his wallet.

Ohhhhh right. Thanks!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I vote for the amazing levitating woman just to its right.

The dog has the perfect 'this poo poo again' look on its face though. It's almost a cry for help

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

baka kaba posted:

The dog has the perfect 'this poo poo again' look on its face though. It's almost a cry for help

I think it's the face most of us wear when we see that loving cartoon

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the fallout from the budget"

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Obama's visit to Brussels – Obama will arrive with 900-strong entourage, including 45 vehicles and three planes, and attend EU and Nato summit"

Telegraph:

Labour economic policies 'very clear' insists Harman

Times:

Ukraine crisis: G7 summit to discuss action against Russia

Mail:
"200.000 new homes are to be built on green belt land."

quote:

“I spotted a green woodpecker yesterday. It was stuffed in the Natural History Museum.”

Express:

Leeds school to teach English as foreign language

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you want them to learn English or not? :psyduck:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
God drat, what is it with political cartoonists in all these countries and their obsession with how BIG STRONG MANLY MAN PUTIN CRUSH WEAK WIMPY WORLD LEADERS WHO DON'T IMMEDIATELY RATTLE SABERS

It's taken over US cartoonists like a virus and apparently Britain is no different.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The Independent:

I actually much prefer the Adams take.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
For once I agree with the Telegraph. Labour are useless and could gently caress up the most basic of tasks and the Tories are literal Nazis.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Gonzo McFee posted:

For once I agree with the Telegraph. Labour are useless and could gently caress up the most basic of tasks and the Tories are literal Nazis.
No, no, anyone in opposition is a Nazi. Didn't you read the sign? :smug:

(It's also worth noting that the diggers of the original tunnel also hosed up by coming out in the wrong place, which among other factors led to the execution of most of those who did escape. So gently caress both of them.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SedanChair posted:

Do you want them to learn English or not? :psyduck:

They want less immigrant full stop.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

God drat, what is it with political cartoonists in all these countries and their obsession with how BIG STRONG MANLY MAN PUTIN CRUSH WEAK WIMPY WORLD LEADERS WHO DON'T IMMEDIATELY RATTLE SABERS

It's taken over US cartoonists like a virus and apparently Britain is no different.

There has been a couple where he hasn't been drawn like that:

But I think its became a thing recently because the aggressiveness he is showing in the international political world and there is a lot of photos of him with his shirt off. You could make a shirtless Putin Calendar with it haha!

The classic three cropped, left him fishing, middle riding a horse, right after he shot/killed a bear.

I think it's also partly to do with the world leaders can't really do much, like if the EU were to put sanctions up Germany for one would be hosed as 36% get their gas from Russia, Poland 48%, France 14%, Finland 100% [in 2007 atleast], Italy 27%, Estonia and alot of the eastern countries are around the 60-100% mark etc.

But I get what you mean it seems abit weird, didn't see much of it during the Syrian one.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 25, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the prison books ban – Eminent writers and academics have been outraged by a Ministry of Justice ruling barring prisoners from receiving packages containing books"

Telegraph:

Clegg v Farage: The LBC Leaders' Debate

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Yeah I bet that greek who married into a German family just loves UKIP, because he's notoriously a complete gently caress-wit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My grandpa used to sit watching his giant tube radio as if it was a television set. Dogs will do the same. An Old People and Pets Cartoon.

Also I don't know much about the heating at the palaces, but I'm sure there's no cheap electric heaters standing on tables.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Also I don't know much about the heating at the palaces, but I'm sure there's no cheap electric heaters standing on tables.
Buckingham Palace is notoriously a cold, draughty shithole. It's literally the least energy efficient building in London. In 2010 the Queen even applied for poverty relief to cover energy bills.

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

All I'm getting from this is that Farage is going to beat Clegg to death with a weirdly pointed green dildo.

I assume it's some reference to EU regulations regarding straight bananas and the like, but it's still a clumsy cartoon.

(Does anyone actually plan to watch this?)

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 26, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Kegluneq posted:

(Does anyone actually plan to watch this?)

It's on the radio, and not even a national station. Not the hugest of events.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It will be a challenge to see if I can avoid hearing the filleted highlights repeated every news update for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't even know why Clegg agreed to it, talking poo poo about the EU on panels has been Farage's bread and butter for years. For every reasoned argument Papa puts forward, Farage will have some well-honed talking point that appeals to people's fears and prejudices, delivered with practised style. It's gonna be a moidah and we're all gonna hear about it

• Locked thread