Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Guys, I can't get my chicken wings to cook all the way. What should I do? My oven is rooted by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Guys, I can't get my chicken wings to cook all the way. What should I do? My oven is rooted by the way.

Try an oven that you haven't broken, duh.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it this model? If so, I'd check the XDA forums first, then contact Dacor.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So apparently Apple is considering releasing an iTunes shop/streaming app for Android.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5944797/apple-mulls-launching-spotify-rival-android-app-as-downloads-decline-sources

I might hate Apple products, but if this finally means I can watch all the iTunes digital copies of movies I've collected over the years it'd be a welcomed addition.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Frozen-Solid posted:

So apparently Apple is considering releasing an iTunes shop/streaming app for Android.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5944797/apple-mulls-launching-spotify-rival-android-app-as-downloads-decline-sources

I might hate Apple products, but if this finally means I can watch all the iTunes digital copies of movies I've collected over the years it'd be a welcomed addition.

If they do this they'd better make it Chromecast enabled. In fact, if they're feeling nice they can add airplay support too.

I'll believe it when they see it, but it's got to be hurting their sales to lock the majority of the market out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even if (and that's a big if) they come out with an app for music, I seriously doubt it will ever work with video. There would be too many rights issues to sort out.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Anyone know of a photo editing app that allows you to put a curved watermark on a photo? Or just a watermarking app? I currently have instawatermark and it's pretty good except it doesn't have any curve options.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

bull3964 posted:

Even if (and that's a big if) they come out with an app for music, I seriously doubt it will ever work with video. There would be too many rights issues to sort out.

Why would there be rights issues with videos and not music? Opening up to a market such as Android would be the perfect incentive due to severe (if not insane) revenue gains. Studios are always starving for more money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ryvannis posted:

Why would there be rights issues with videos and not music? Opening up to a market such as Android would be the perfect incentive due to severe (if not insane) revenue gains. Studios are always starving for more money.

Because the studios have been far far far less forgiving than the record labels when it comes to negotiating content rights.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I just want to be sure this will be possible, before buying a bunch of stuff. My girlfriend does not have real wifi. Just pays Verizon for a wifi dongle, which is awful. Netflix barely works without buffering 20 times.

So we want to watch a TV show, and I was going to buy the season on my N5, and stream it via Chromecast. I plan on buying the season through the play store, and downloading the episodes to my phone, and streaming from there. Obviously, by default the chromecast will try and stream them itself, but if they're cached on my phone already, will it know to not use a data connection. I'm guessing no, so I need a separate app. Would Koush's Allcast work for this? Should I just get an MHL adapter and plug my phone directly into the TV?

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

Binge posted:

I just want to be sure this will be possible, before buying a bunch of stuff. My girlfriend does not have real wifi. Just pays Verizon for a wifi dongle, which is awful. Netflix barely works without buffering 20 times.

So we want to watch a TV show, and I was going to buy the season on my N5, and stream it via Chromecast. I plan on buying the season through the play store, and downloading the episodes to my phone, and streaming from there. Obviously, by default the chromecast will try and stream them itself, but if they're cached on my phone already, will it know to not use a data connection. I'm guessing no, so I need a separate app. Would Koush's Allcast work for this? Should I just get an MHL adapter and plug my phone directly into the TV?

I don't know the answer to your question (am curious to know the answer myself cause I kinda want to get a CC especially now the SDK is out and all the fancy stuff is being made finally), but you can use this if not: http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-T1000-Mirror2TV-Wireless-Compatible/dp/B00H2D3N0M

I currently use that to stream videos, pictures, etc. from my phone to my TV when I am without internet connection. The Tronsmart creates its own WiFi network for you to use. In addition, since you have a N5, you could use its Miracast ability with the Tronsmart as well though that has proven to be a bit less reliable and trickier to set up.

Edit: Here's the review I read when I was making the decision to buy the Tronsmart or not: http://liliputing.com/2013/12/tronsmart-t1000-wireless-display-adapter-for-android-ios-windows-os-x.html The dude who wrote the review also made some videos documenting how well the Tronsmart works. The videos are a bit outdated since the firmware and app updates have improved things immensely, so things do work better now than they do in his videos. Lemme know if you want to know anything else about the device or want a video of it in action or something.
Edit2: Also I don't know how downloading videos from the Play Store works as I've never done/used it. All of my stuff is for sure locally saved on my phone...but if you couldn't download the videos and had to stream instead you could use the Miracast option...

dentata fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 24, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dentata posted:

I use :filez: so all of my stuff is for sure locally saved on my phone...but if you couldn't download the videos and had to stream instead you could use the Miracast option...

You aren't a very bright person, are you?

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean...so yes? Or no?

Edit: I still don't know what you mean but thought I was in the CC thread. Oops. At least I'm nice.

Edit2: \/\/\/ My bad. Just thought you couldn't link to that stuff.

dentata fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 24, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dentata posted:

I'm not sure what you mean...so yes? Or no?

You aren't supposed to outright say you use :filez:

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Well, I want to make one thing clear about my question, the episodes are coming from the Play store, which means there's probably DRM attached, and they're not just going to freely play through random streaming software (I'm assuming). I'd consider buying them from another source, but I already own 2 later seasons of the show via the play store (The Walking Dead).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
If Play Movies/Shows or whatever that app is called works anything like Play Music, it should be smart enough to realize that you have a local copy on your phone and just play from that.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Or you could stream/mirror your phone's screen to the TV using Miracast and whatever default video playing app the Play Store uses. The caveat is that your screen has to be on the whole time and nearby like within 10 feet (at least with the Tronsmart) of the Miracast dongle for the TV.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
e: Never mind, I'm dumb. Here's some apps that will stream local content. Not sure if it'll work through Play-store-purchased stuff.

http://liliputing.com/2014/02/these-6-apps-stream-videos-from-android-to-chromecast.html

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 24, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The UFC app is pretty bad:

Just tried watching a TV Show on there (via a paid for subscription option) on my Android Phone (Nexus 5). Video froze after about 5 minutes, then the entire phone rebooted.
I repeated that 3 times, same exact stuff happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
Is there a goon suggested app for streaming my Desktop PC screen (or just a window) to my phone/tablet? Ideally one not based on being on the same wifi network.

I'd like to be able to set things running on my computer, then through my work's wifi be able to check and see how they're going.

I've looked into splashtop so far, which works great, but only over a local network unless I spring for a subscription (which I won't).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Teamviewer is pretty alright.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Spider Plant posted:

Is there a goon suggested app for streaming my Desktop PC screen (or just a window) to my phone/tablet? Ideally one not based on being on the same wifi network.

I'd like to be able to set things running on my computer, then through my work's wifi be able to check and see how they're going.

I've looked into splashtop so far, which works great, but only over a local network unless I spring for a subscription (which I won't).

TeamViewer.

e;f,b

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spider Plant posted:

I use PhoneMyPC, which is a one time charge rather than a subscription or free. It's worked great for me for years, and the few times I've had issues the author has replied to my emails and issued updates promptly.

It works with any combination of network the PC might be on and network the phone or tablet might be on.

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
Thanks, that looks to do exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try out Teamviewer first and see how that goes before dropping any cash on something - that said PhoneMyPc looks pretty slick.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I have a nexus device (galaxy nexus) and so I have the google keyboard. Every time I press the space bar the keyboard goes away. The simple fix I've found is to download a new keyboard. What's the lightest weight keyboard that still has some swipe-esque and autocorrect features ?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

compton rear end terry posted:

I have a nexus device (galaxy nexus) and so I have the google keyboard. Every time I press the space bar the keyboard goes away. The simple fix I've found is to download a new keyboard. What's the lightest weight keyboard that still has some swipe-esque and autocorrect features ?

You could try Kii Keyboard. It was the go-to AOSP-ish keyboard for a while before Google put theirs on the Store.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sirbeefalot posted:

You could try Kii Keyboard. It was the go-to AOSP-ish keyboard for a while before Google put theirs on the Store.

It's essentially the AOSP keyboard with a few extra options. It works very well.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

compton rear end terry posted:

I have a nexus device (galaxy nexus) and so I have the google keyboard. Every time I press the space bar the keyboard goes away.

What did you do to your phone?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is there any time tracking app for hourly work and invoicing?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So long story short I have taken to twitter because of a girl. The official twitter app is alright, but also kind of annoying. Is there a good alternative out there that goons would recommend, or am I stuck?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gonkish posted:

So long story short I have taken to twitter because of a girl. The official twitter app is alright, but also kind of annoying. Is there a good alternative out there that goons would recommend, or am I stuck?

What issues do you specifically have?

Sair
May 11, 2007

Falcon Pro, but you have to jump through some hoops to get it working.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
Does anyone have any decent AdBlock app recommendations?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Black Shadow posted:

Does anyone have any decent AdBlock app recommendations?
AdAway, but you need to be rooted.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You can't ad block without root for obvious security reasons. The way AdBlock Plus worked was it basically acted as a proxy on the phone itself which is something you just can't let apps do. Root adblockers use the hosts file as you would expect and AdAway is the best one.

Thank god though that app developers have realized mobile ads are worthless and don't use them anymore. I never liked how ad blocking harmed developers who used ads but I pay for every app I can so now it's just to make web browsing tolerable.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Gonkish posted:

Plume is what I've been using for years but at some point recently it was acquired by UberMedia, so I may switch to something else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gonkish posted:

I have to echo Skeezy here, what issues do you have and maybe we can make better recommendations?

What is this girl making you do that the official app won't do, tweet on behalf of brands using multiple Twitter accounts? Because if so that's not a healthy relationship. You shouldn't have to pretend to be Chick-Fil-A to be with a girl, she should just like you for who you are.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Are there any apps that keep track of when tv shows have new episodes and pop a notification or have a widget or something? I don't need anything fancy, just something I can glance at and know which shows to catch up on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
MarkAsRead does what I've wanted the GMail active notification do since day one: Adds a "mark as Read" button next to the "Archive" and "Reply."

Why Google hasn't put in a Mark as Read button I'll never know. There's plenty of emails I get where I don't need to read it (things like order and and shipping confirmations from Amazon, 90% of the emails I get from Tumblr and Twitter, etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Arrinien posted:

Are there any apps that keep track of when tv shows have new episodes and pop a notification or have a widget or something? I don't need anything fancy, just something I can glance at and know which shows to catch up on.

I've been using Cliffhanger and it comes in pretty handy.

• Locked thread