Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if you're staying within the company, the sinking ship scenario shouldn't apply. Because if you were fleeing, surely you'd be getting out of the company? If you stay in you know you'll end up getting asked about it eventually after all.

In fact, in my entire life everyone who has changed departments in a company (that I know of) ends up getting asked to "fix this one thing as a favour".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The datacenter staff are being laid off. Management has decided 24x7 coverage isn't needed, at least that's what's being said. :downs: Is our monitoring solution up to snuff, as in are people actually reading the midnight/4am/etc alerts that poo poo is down? Of course not...yet. Waiting 8 weeks for an extra exchange address to create an alert account will do that. At the same I'm going to try to get the hell out of dodge to apply for a different role outside of where I'm at (security analyst instead of availability & capacity management). In talking to the director, he implied I should leave my current role better than when I started it - so that I don't look like I'm part of the "Rats fleeing a sinking ship" scenario. So my question is: how can it be anything but exactly that at this point? I'm not part of the staff being laid off, but considered part of the datacenter.

Also how can you truly quantify that you have improved your role that you are leaving when the company moves so slowly that improvement/change doesn't even happen sometimes?

TLDR: company is slow/bad, I'm moving out of the slow (but not all bad) area, that's not a bad thing, right?

Don't spend a lot of time trying to read into what this director has to say. If this person wanted to have you moved, excuses wouldn't have been made. I am not saying give up, but just be as forceful as you can about wanting to make the change and leave it at that. Agonizing about "What can I do better?" is most likely a waste of your time.

Internal moves are just tough sometimes. Your boss doesn't want to lose an employee and hr/payroll doesn't like to see big pay increases.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

dogstile posted:

In fact, in my entire life everyone who has changed departments in a company (that I know of) ends up getting asked to "fix this one thing as a favour".

In a previous job, I kept a notebook. A paper one. With date and time of the favor in question, how long it took me, and how annoyed I was at having to do it. I had the person sign. Then later, I made sure to call all of them in.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

Don't spend a lot of time trying to read into what this director has to say. If this person wanted to have you moved, excuses wouldn't have been made. I am not saying give up, but just be as forceful as you can about wanting to make the change and leave it at that. Agonizing about "What can I do better?" is most likely a waste of your time.

Internal moves are just tough sometimes. Your boss doesn't want to lose an employee and hr/payroll doesn't like to see big pay increases.

Thanks. This is exactly what I thought, it made me feel more strongly about wanting to finish the certs I'm working on (ICND1 and then ICND2 -> CCNA) and getting on to what I wanted to focus on (Security+/etc). I was definitely overthinking the director response though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SEKCobra posted:

I just realized the webinar is during the peak of my shift. Not sure what to do now :v They only seem to have them at days that are bad for me.
I was able to do it at work, just kept it on a second screen and listened with headphones. It doesn't require any actual input from you other than joining it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Exit Strategy posted:

In a previous job, I kept a notebook. A paper one. With date and time of the favor in question, how long it took me, and how annoyed I was at having to do it. I had the person sign. Then later, I made sure to call all of them in.

That's a good idea. I'm going to steal that, i've got a book (more like a tome) that has leather coverings, actual parchment, gemstone on the front, the works. Been wondering what to do with it. I might just use it as my "book of favors".

Best part? I have a quill and blood red ink. Goony as gently caress? Sure, but making every "it favor" seem like you're selling your soul also sounds hilarious to me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

I didn't see this when finishing up the thread and all the easy config AP talk made me remember.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lp/free-demo

For the price of sitting through an hour webinar and getting harassed by a Meraki rep every once in a while you can get your hands on a Meraki AP (don't know which model) with a three year license. Only "catch" is you have to use your organization's e-mail to register for the webinar. Pretty fair trade I'd say.

I wonder if Cisco's seen the list of Meraki APs that have sold on Ebay lately with their licenses untouched.

Either way, registered. We use Aerohive and like it, but free is always good.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

THF13 posted:

I was able to do it at work, just kept it on a second screen and listened with headphones. It doesn't require any actual input from you other than joining it.

Can I use it on a mobile device? Can I go on a call while it runs? I might just start it at home via teamviewer.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The datacenter staff are being laid off. Management has decided 24x7 coverage isn't needed, at least that's what's being said. :downs: Is our monitoring solution up to snuff, as in are people actually reading the midnight/4am/etc alerts that poo poo is down? Of course not...yet. Waiting 8 weeks for an extra exchange address to create an alert account will do that. At the same I'm going to try to get the hell out of dodge to apply for a different role outside of where I'm at (security analyst instead of availability & capacity management). In talking to the director, he implied I should leave my current role better than when I started it - so that I don't look like I'm part of the "Rats fleeing a sinking ship" scenario. So my question is: how can it be anything but exactly that at this point? I'm not part of the staff being laid off, but considered part of the datacenter.

Also how can you truly quantify that you have improved your role that you are leaving when the company moves so slowly that improvement/change doesn't even happen sometimes?

TLDR: company is slow/bad, I'm moving out of the slow (but not all bad) area, that's not a bad thing, right?

I love how in management's mind, people wanting to go somewhere else before they are laid off is rat's fleeing a sinking ship. Maybe someone should explain the concept of brightsizing to him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Can I use it on a mobile device? Can I go on a call while it runs? I might just start it at home via teamviewer.
Wow I just realized all the audio stuff I can be streaming to my phone via teamviewer. Youtube playlist, goontube stuff, other things.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

KoRMaK posted:

Wow I just realized all the audio stuff I can be streaming to my phone via teamviewer. Youtube playlist, goontube stuff, other things.

I can't recommend it if you have data limits tho.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

dogstile posted:

That's a good idea. I'm going to steal that, i've got a book (more like a tome) that has leather coverings, actual parchment, gemstone on the front, the works. Been wondering what to do with it. I might just use it as my "book of favors".

Best part? I have a quill and blood red ink. Goony as gently caress? Sure, but making every "it favor" seem like you're selling your soul also sounds hilarious to me.
Just don't be goony and wear a top hot while having them do it. Be more like the cool devil, like a sales guy. "Yea just sign here. Nah don't worry about that, it's all I had laying around to write with. No thats not blood, you wierdo haha why would you think that. Yea just sign there, it's fine."

A la Ray Wise in Reaper or Farmed and Dangerous

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SEKCobra posted:

The webinar I did just used GoToMeeting, so it should work with the GoToMeeting app on your phone. As long as you stay connected you should be fine to do whatever.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Swink posted:

I've registered for the webinar. Do I just confirm the delivery once the webinar is finished?

Yes, you'll receive a follow-up email with the details on how to confirm your registration. It's pretty much a guaranteed call from a salesman, but mine wasn't pushy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I can't recommend it if you have data limits tho.
There's gotta be a way to optimize the audio and basically kill the video feed.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Someone at headquarters had the bright idea to enable GPO to force all computers to hibernate after 1 hour of inactivity. Since the vast majority of our users are borderline retarded, this has resulted in a rash of tickets for computers booting up with the "Windows didn't shut down properly" screen from people holding in the power button to hard reboot machines instead of pushing it once to wake the machine back up.

Not to excuse the "hibernate after 1 hour" decision, because that's loving retarded too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KoRMaK posted:

I want Ray Wise to play the devil always in everything. Him or Al Pacino.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KoRMaK posted:

Just don't be goony and wear a top hot while having them do it. Be more like the cool devil, like a sales guy. "Yea just sign here. Nah don't worry about that, it's all I had laying around to write with. No thats not blood, you wierdo haha why would you think that. Yea just sign there, it's fine."

Yeah I have to wear smart clothes into work, so it'll definitely be more sales guy than fat dude in a top hat and cape. It'll also be casual as hell, so instead of dramatic goony poo poo, it'll just be "sure, sign there so i've got a record, i'll call it in later".

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I love how in management's mind, people wanting to go somewhere else before they are laid off is rat's fleeing a sinking ship. Maybe someone should explain the concept of brightsizing to him.

I'm not in the group that's going to be laid off. However, I don't want to stay in a group associated with that when there's nowhere to go with it anyway.

edit: However, I do see constant brightsizing around here, and basically recognition of seniority over good work ethics/good effort.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 26, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jadus posted:

Yes, you'll receive a follow-up email with the details on how to confirm your registration. It's pretty much a guaranteed call from a salesman, but mine wasn't pushy.

I sat through my hour of bullshit and I never got my email. :colbert:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sickening posted:

I sat through my hour of bullshit and I never got my email. :colbert:

I'm doing one of the webinars right now and at the beginning she said that you have to call the number in the webinar reminder email.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Trastion posted:

I'm doing one of the webinars right now and at the beginning she said that you have to call the number in the webinar reminder email.

I got mine just now, it gives you a number to a specific sales rep you will be required to talk to. :getin:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Make a list of your grievances. I.e. that case where somebody took 8 weeks to create an email address. Write down the ticket number, together with other similar incidents then on an annual performance review or your exit interview, bring up how the company is failing to give you an environment where you can do a good job. If you can make a decent case with repeated incidents of things obviously not working how they should it might change something.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Sickening posted:

I got mine just now, it gives you a number to a specific sales rep you will be required to talk to. :getin:

Did this as my work wanted to revamp wireless. Was impressed with webinar and product, nearly peed myself laughing at 6000 dollar pricetag to get one office up and running with the owner questioning any IT purchase over 100 dollars.

Have it sitting at home, it's pretty neat, also go ahead and register a meraki account and verify it through the email they send you. The claiming will fail and tell you to email their support, even though the problem is you're just using an email that hasn't been verified yet, but they can't tell you that.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sickening posted:

Yeah i just talked to a rep and he said 7-10 days.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So my manager came to me today.

"Are you busy tonight? I need someone to download and install Symantec cloud over a cellular connection"

I am busy. I am always busy.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
A ticket system came in. We finally got a ticketing system up in place.

Now the hard part: getting users to adopt it instead of email and IM. Any suggestions?

I also like a good ale, so suggestions for ales will also work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Casull posted:

Now the hard part: getting users to adopt it instead of email and IM. Any suggestions?

Thank them for contacting you and cordially suggest that they submit an email to the new ticket system in order for it to be tracked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"My boss has specifically told me to not resolve any issues or answer any questions unless it comes into the ticketing system. Thanks for your time."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Casull posted:

Just say "Sorry, I can't do any work without a ticket."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What really helped me, and maybe this is only useful in smaller organizations, was telling people that putting in a ticket instead of calling my direct line helps to justify my job.

For people who didn't go along with that, I'd imply that it was now strict policy to use the official helpdesk line/email and I was doing them a huge favour this time, but my boss is really concerned so please use the official channels from now on.

After that, I just started screening calls and telling people that "I'm not always in the office/at my desk and that's why we have the ticketing system to begin with."

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cojawfee posted:

Just say "Sorry, I can't do any work without a ticket."

GreenNight posted:

"My boss has specifically told me to not resolve any issues or answer any questions unless it comes into the ticketing system. Thanks for your time."

These work pretty well. Shift things to the process not the person. It's even easier if your ticketing software is email enabled. I used to get tons of pushback and whining when our old system required users to go to a website and submit a ticket. Now they just have to email helpdesk@company.com and the ticket gets generated.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I usually say I can't perform work due to auditing purposes, so things have to go through the helpdesk.

Most people feel satisfied with that, put it to the helpdesk, and then call me for their next issue.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Casull posted:

I would continue to take emails and IMs and have the IT staff log those calls themselves honestly :shrug: I do 100% internal logging (small environment) and it works great. The tickets are actually uniform and usable as documentation later on instead of being SLA/metrics fodder

edit: and everything is correctly categorized :love: Jira is so good

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd treat IM the same as a phone call, email should be reasonably easy to punt off into a support@ mailbox that your ticketing system can pick them up from.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The datacenter staff are being laid off. Management has decided 24x7 coverage isn't needed, at least that's what's being said. :downs:

Not entirely accurate; management has decided that they don't want to *pay* for 24x7 coverage. I'm sure it's still needed, though, which means you and the other remaining salaried exempt employees will be providing it (in addition to your normal daytime work, of course). :toot:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

Thank them for contacting you and cordially suggest that they submit an email to the new ticket system in order for it to be tracked.

We used to do this at one of my previous helpdesk jobs - thankfully the ticketing system had a link we could give out to take them to a website form to put the ticket in. Basically along the lines of "thank you for contacting the support desk, please use the below link to submit a ticket". Works pretty well if they're not averse to change and know how to use a mouse.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having an Outlook AutoText / QuickParts paragraph ready to go as a response to people who insist on sending tickets directly to your email is a nice quick way of dealing with things as well. Just make sure you phrase it as being able to provide better service because more than one person looks at the queue and individual cases can be reviewed blah blah blah.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

peak debt posted:

Make a list of your grievances. I.e. that case where somebody took 8 weeks to create an email address. Write down the ticket number, together with other similar incidents then on an annual performance review or your exit interview, bring up how the company is failing to give you an environment where you can do a good job. If you can make a decent case with repeated incidents of things obviously not working how they should it might change something.

At my last job's exit interview, the first thing I brought up was the abominable chocolate chip cookie situation.

See, lunch was provided every day, which was pretty nice. The usual caterer provided cookies as desserts Monday through Thursday. Friday was Salad Day, so no desserts, something that started to be rectified shortly before I left. Wednesday had a platter of chocolate chip cookies the size of your fist, but Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday had Mixed Cookie Platters. This meant a tray with lemon cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, some sort of weird chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips, and then in the center, plain old chocolate chip cookies.

Every day with a mixed cookie platter played out the same; all of the chocolate chip cookies in the center would disappear almost immediately, and the other, inferior cookies would slowly and reluctantly be picked away at by a ruefully late staff. Because most of the cookies were still on the platter, no new platter with replacement chocolate chip cookies would be brought out, until enough desperate souls had taken the leavings and left the plate clean. The cycle would continue with the new platter.

So, I brought up the fact that there was never a problem with this on Wednesdays, and perhaps the catering company should bring out two platters: one solely of chocolate chip cookies, and the other a mixed platter. Chocolate chip lovers would get refills, and whoever actually likes oatmeal raisin could still have those.

I can only hope that by bringing this up, I left my workplace better than I found it.

#SoftwareEngineerProblems

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Volmarias posted:

and whoever actually likes oatmeal raisin could still have those.

I thought these people were fiction

Well I was wrong. The account lead did try to blame me for the issues at the remote site last week. He told the client that the issue of the computers in the office not updating DNS records with me adjusting some settings on the router at head office.

He verbally told the client, who then sent me an email asking what was going on as the reason for the outage I told her and the reason he told her were completely different.

I forwarded the client email to the general manager with a complaint about being thrown under the bus. Well see what happens but im putting my money on "nothing"

• Locked thread