Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Away all Goats posted:

I thought 17 and 18 had equal power levels, being twins and all that.

They're pretty close, most media says they're about equal, but it's suggested 17 is slightly stronger. This could just be 17 boasting, though.

Even if he is, though, it's not by a significant amount, though, since the next level up (imperfect Cell) is stronger than both of them.

17 does have at least one ability that 18 doesn't appear to: the energy shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Since I have some free time in my hands, and I like graphics, I decide to illustrate my hypothesis on how power levels work.

I belive they are read in a exponetial scale instead of a linear one, thats why there sundely jumps from a low value to higher one.

EDIT: VVVV Well... We all know that great warriors can hide their power...

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 25, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Quack posted:

Since I have some free time in my hands, and I like graphics, I decide to illustrate my hypothesis on how power levels work.

I belive they are read in a exponetial scale instead of a linear one, thats why there sundely jumps from a low value to higher one.

This is bullshit, we all know Turtle is the strongest of all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
So you're saying Roshi was only 2-3 times as powerful as an average human, but could destroy the moon? Roshi destroying the Moon was so wildly beyond what characters who were clearly far beyond him in raw power could do that it doesn't make much sense in the first place, though. Even then, the whole "all this happened in .2 seconds" thing during his fight with Krillin suggests he's far too fast to be considered only three times as powerful as an average human.

Really, Dragon Ball is pretty inconsistent. People like to say Bleach is inconsistent, but I'm finding Bleach a lot easier to rationalize.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Silver2195 posted:

So you're saying Roshi was only twice as powerful as an average human, but could destroy the moon? Roshi destroying the Moon was so wildly beyond what characters who were clearly far beyond him in raw power could do that it doesn't make much sense in the first place, though. Even then, the whole "all this happened in .2 seconds" thing during his fight with Krillin suggests he's far too fast to be considered only twice as powerful as an average human.

Pretty sure 139 is more than 5x2.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WhiffleballDude posted:

Pretty sure 139 is more than 5x2.

I'm referring to Captain Quack's "exponential scale" (although it's still a bit more than twice).

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm referring to Captain Quack's "exponential scale" (although it's still a bit more than twice).

Maybe a little bit of KI can do a lot of difference... ...and since I don't know the KI scale I just came up eith a simple one :v:

I originally thought in leaving it blank or put random symbols, I dind't want it to have negative numbers too, but I think already was putting to much enfort into it...

...but the basic idea is that despite Power Levels having large numbers it doesn't mean there isn't such huge gap among fighters

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Wasn't Master Roshi scanned in his normal state, without increasing his KI? Goku went from 400 something to nearly 900 when fighting Raditz, certainly Roshi charging a Kamehameha would be enough to destroy the moon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cozz posted:

Wasn't Master Roshi scanned in his normal state, without increasing his KI? Goku went from 400 something to nearly 900 when fighting Raditz, certainly Roshi charging a Kamehameha would be enough to destroy the moon.

Not to mention Roshi can transform into a super buff guy apparently.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Cozz posted:

He used a MAX Power Kame-Hame-Ha to destroy the moon. I din't find how much power it have, but acording to the wiki while Vegeta Power Level was 18.000 his Galic Gun (similar to Kame Hame HA) was 35.000 a little less than 2 times his Power level, so Roshi's Kame-Hame-Ha must be something like 260~270.

Vegeta as ozaru have a Power Level of 180.000.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sixteen what does your iPhone scouter say?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Looking through various DBStuff on youtube, I must say I really enjoyed the scene at the start of the Buu Saga when Trunks shows that he can go Super Saiyan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNrEezugj8

The show could have stood to have a lot more scenes like that. Watching Vegeta willingly put up with a Super Saiyan child is kind of amazing. :allears: My favorite part is when he punches Trunks back, square in the face. The way Vegeta stops and stares for a moment is pretty great - you can tell he only punched Trunks back on a reflex when Trunks surprised him and he feels like an rear end in a top hat for it, but he's still Vegeta so he can't say anything about it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I still think one of my favorite parts of the series is Vegeta screaming at Trunks that they're going to play in the park. Hell, anything involving Vegeta becoming a dad/husband is one of the best parts of the Buu saga, so much so that it ends up being a plot point when he becomes Majin Vegeta.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TARDISman posted:

I still think one of my favorite parts of the series is Vegeta screaming at Trunks that they're going to play in the park. Hell, anything involving Vegeta becoming a dad/husband is one of the best parts of the Buu saga, so much so that it ends up being a plot point when he becomes Majin Vegeta.

Also probably the best scene in Battle of the Gods. Vegeta powering up and going toe to toe with the big bad in defense of Bulma.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Seriously. I don't know why Toriyama was so loath to show a lick of Vegeta and Bulma (and later Trunks') relationships when what little we do see varies from being really interesting to really :unsmith:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Most of the few good parts of GT were Dadstache Vegeta and Bulma doing poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Man. The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of really mad at Toriyama (or the Anime filler people, whoever wrote that scene) for not showing us Vegeta attempting to play with a small child in a public park. Any half-assed writer could easily make that into something either incredibly heartwarming or hilariously awkward - to say nothing of what Team Four Star could do with a scene like that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seriously. I don't know why Toriyama was so loath to show a lick of Vegeta and Bulma (and later Trunks') relationships when what little we do see varies from being really interesting to really :unsmith:

The story I always hear is that Toriyama didn't care that much for Vegeta, but fans (or probably his editor, given the pull he had on a lot of how the rest of DBZ unfolded) liked him and that kept him around.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Man. The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of really mad at Toriyama (or the Anime filler people, whoever wrote that scene) for not showing us Vegeta attempting to play with a small child in a public park. Any half-assed writer could easily make that into something either incredibly heartwarming or hilariously awkward - to say nothing of what Team Four Star could do with a scene like that.

"Here uhhh son... Let's play with this frisbee." Then he levels the jungle gym.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^ - "...catch it son! Catch it with your teeth!"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The story I always hear is that Toriyama didn't care that much for Vegeta, but fans (or probably his editor, given the pull he had on a lot of how the rest of DBZ unfolded) liked him and that kept him around.

That would explain why Vegeta spends most of his time being either humiliated, dead, or beaten within an inch of his life after about halfway through the Freeza saga, I suppose.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Most of the few good parts of GT were Dadstache Vegeta and Bulma doing poo poo.

YES. Everything but the main story was pretty decent in GT.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember liking Pan. Once I got over the fact that she has boobs and therefore isn't allowed to punch anyone important, I thought she was endearing and engaging enough as a character.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One of my hang-ups with GT is how Goten was reduced to a footnote, but Future Adult Trunks got a lead role. Did they just completely forget about the potential for Adult Gotenks? Is there even any official art of him?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

One of my hang-ups with GT is how Goten was reduced to a footnote, but Future Adult Trunks got a lead role. Did they just completely forget about the potential for Adult Gotenks? Is there even any official art of him?

Apparently he's playable in Dragon Ball Heroes, the arcade card game that's only out in Japan. Apparently every time they think to use him Goku just says "Nah, that'll waste time and valuable animation budget, we need that for more Super Saiyan 4 antics."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, I didn't mind Super Saiyan 4. Yeah, it's ridiculous and GT doesn't use it very well but what else is there in Dragonball that you can't say the exact same thing about?

On a similar note, I saw a few clips of GT on youtube recently. Good God, this is one ugly loving show a lot of the time. Maybe I just need to see more of the fights, but everything I've seen just looks really cheap, both in terms of the artwork and the animation.

Edit: Oh God. I just realized.

Vegeta, Prince Of All Saiyans, he-who-smacks-people-with-his-dick-every-time-he-turns-left, was my first encounter with the concept of a stay-at-home-Dad.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, I didn't mind Super Saiyan 4. Yeah, it's ridiculous and GT doesn't use it very well but what else is there in Dragonball that you can't say the exact same thing about?

On a similar note, I saw a few clips of GT on youtube recently. Good God, this is one ugly loving show a lot of the time. Maybe I just need to see more of the fights, but everything I've seen just looks really cheap, both in terms of the artwork and the animation.

I only ever saw one clip of GT, where Gohan and Goten were fighting Vegeta because they were mind-controlled?

Anyways, they both just made this weird blurry bubble of action lines around him and said something about how they were Saiyan brothers and could take him easily and co-ordinate really well or something.

I'm not even sure there was actual contact shown at any point in the fight.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You guys may be in luck, rumor has it Toriyama liked doing Battle of Gods so much that he may come back for a Vegeta special.

But this is rumor. Meaning that all it takes is for a mean Japanese businessman to tell Toriyama it's a bad idea and he'll back down.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bloody Pom posted:

It also didn't help that Future Trunks was the coolest dude ever, but I remember Adult Trunks being really boring.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

It also didn't help that Future Trunks was the coolest dude ever, but I remember Adult Trunks being really boring.

Yeah. It was really weird watching the alternate timeline version of the dude who sliced up an evil galactic overlord and vaporized the pieces on his way to more important business be reduced to "the bland guy we keep around because it has to be a party of three when we're hunting dragonballs."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are we allowed to talk about video games here?

I remember playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games in the past as a teen and loved it. So far the only game that really captured the fast, explosive and destructive fights in the series. I was really getting a hankering to play it again but it would require buying a PS2.

That said, I noticed there were sequels called Raging Blast for the PS3, and having checked out some videos, I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It looks like a cheap knockoff despite being a generation older.

So for those who have played: Is the Raging Blast series of games any good? Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

Legendary Super Warriors.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Away all Goats posted:

I remember playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games in the past as a teen and loved it. So far the only game that really captured the fast, explosive and destructive fights in the series. I was really getting a hankering to play it again but it would require buying a PS2.

That said, I noticed there were sequels called Raging Blast for the PS3, and having checked out some videos, I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It looks like a cheap knockoff despite being a generation older.

So for those who have played: Is the Raging Blast series of games any good? Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

I've enjoyed Battle of Z well enough.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Away all Goats posted:

Raging Blast is essentially a better version of Budokai Tenkaichi but with a roster that isn't as but it allows you to assign different supers to the characters (if they have them)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

Battle of Z and/or Attack of the Saiyans depending on what you're into. Battle of Z if you like superfast action games, Attack of the Saiyans if you like late Dragon Ball filler RPGs.

Maybe one day we'll finally get that Namek sequel the ending to Attack of the Saiyans teased. :sigh:

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Even though I liked the Android/Cell Sagas it always bugged me they came after Freeza. I mean Goku's battle with Freeza literally destroyed a planet. Even before Freeza put a time bomb in the core or whatever, just them sparring was literally wrecking the planet. The only reason it didn't kill millions in collateral damage as soon as it started was because almost everyone was already dead. The idea of something dwarfing Goku's and Freeza's power at the time is just ridiculous and they got around it by just not having the fights be nearly as intense. Even SSJ2 Gohan against Cell wasn't that nuts in comparison. poo poo, during the Namek fight Goku deflecting an attack Freeza fired off in just a few seconds destroyed a whole other planet. The Cell fights just made the planet shake, but I don't remember any randomly deflected energy beams even destroying small cities.

Basically, if the Androids were way stronger than Freeza, and Cells 1st form was stronger than the Androids, and then Cells perfect from made Cells first form look like nothing, then Perfect Cell just warming up with a few practice punches into the air should have destroyed the entire Solar System. It's not just power levels being bullshit, its the whole progression of power. Plot wise you can see it make sense that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell, but power wise you can tell he first wanted to end it after Freeza cause he didn't really leave anywhere else to go. You really can't get any more extreme fight wise than Freeza and they never even came close again.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Sixteen what does your iPhone scouter say?

I know they joke about it in DBZ:Abridged but 18 must be pissed that 17 is hotter than her.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Legendary Super Warriors.

I've made at least two posts on SA about this game and you've beaten me to the punch. It's nuts, it has a top down overworld for the story mode and the fights are these weird turn based strategy fighting card game things with deck customisation and QTE's.

And I like the fight music.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Also there's a ridiculous amount of unlockable characters for a GBC game.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The Cell fights just made the planet shake, but I don't remember any randomly deflected energy beams even destroying small cities.

Vegeta's Final Flash against Cell destroys something way off in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I just think they were a bit smarter about it, really. I mean, their best fighter almost died because he was stuck on a decaying planet. And in the Cell saga, you can't really compare anything except the Cell games with Frieza's final form since no one was truly desperate until then (and Cell did try to blow up the planet, but this time something could be done to prevent it.)

• Locked thread