Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
That was my third EDF online xbox hardlock in a row today. There are forces that wish for me not to play this game. I figured it was due to letting my credit card expire but using xboxlive services anyway. So I updated that info. Two hardlocks later here I am just dreaming of dead spiders and ants doing involuntary cartwheels. I could just switch to my PS3 copy but I want to build up my Xbox fencer. I jinxed it after my previous post about Xbox version being superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Normal bees lull you into a false sense of security. They can't track worth beans in Normal and in Hard so long as you can keep moving you should be fine from the bulk of their attack. It's as soon as you're surrounded and they're focusing on you that all of a sudden your HP is dropping rapidly and your way keeps getting obscured by the stingers. There's a mission where you're attacking a river that'll show you the dangers of BEES.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Did that mission with the first of the three legged walker mech enemies. I loved the way they'd just spring up like some kind of glitching physics rag doll after they landed, it was funny.
We died on that mission 3 times over thinking it and trying to break apart their leg segments and all this stuff. "They must be really strong if they give you the option to go after their leg cannons first and break those off separately!" After 3 deaths we tried just shooting straight for their center and upon discovering they died in about 2 seconds we felt pretty dumb.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

LibbyM posted:

Did that mission with the first of the three legged walker mech enemies. I loved the way they'd just spring up like some kind of glitching physics rag doll after they landed, it was funny.
We died on that mission 3 times over thinking it and trying to break apart their leg segments and all this stuff. "They must be really strong if they give you the option to go after their leg cannons first and break those off separately!" After 3 deaths we tried just shooting straight for their center and upon discovering they died in about 2 seconds we felt pretty dumb.

I still try to take out their leg cannons at least. Those motherfuckers can drain your health in no time.

Man, Air Raider begins to suck when you can't do a lot of damage.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

I still try to take out their leg cannons at least. Those motherfuckers can drain your health in no time.

Their leg cannons definitely hosed us up, they also proved to be the first enemy I didn't become mostly safe from the moment I took to the air (wing diver). The leg cannons would just track me so fast.
When we were trying to take out the leg cannons we kept getting surrounded by the 4 enemies and eaten by the leg cannons. When we focused them down center mass one at a time though, we were able to kill them all before they ever got in leg cannon range.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
On PS3, the two player mode states it requires two wireless controllers, but is this really a hard requirement? Mainly want to know if I can just hook up a PS4 controller or some bargain bin thing to grant me access to the farm zone.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

JGBeagle posted:

The only way I can make sense of how the Air Raider works is that it was never played tested on anything above Normal and even then never with the boosted enemy co-op stats.

I mean, there are some missions where I 100% wreck poo poo with impunity. Levels that rely on any number of Big Targets With Lots Of HP is just a railgun tank shooting gallery. But levels with big swarms of, uh, anything? Or fast moving enemies like you get on the higher difficulty levels? Just can't do enough damage before I'm surrounded and then all my options to keep from getting killed are suicidal.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

On PS3, the two player mode states it requires two wireless controllers, but is this really a hard requirement? Mainly want to know if I can just hook up a PS4 controller or some bargain bin thing to grant me access to the farm zone.

We use one dualshock 3 and one dualshock 4 - no problem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hyperactive posted:

The only way I can make sense of how the Air Raider works is that it was never played tested on anything above Normal and even then never with the boosted enemy co-op stats.

I mean, there are some missions where I 100% wreck poo poo with impunity. Levels that rely on any number of Big Targets With Lots Of HP is just a railgun tank shooting gallery. But levels with big swarms of, uh, anything? Or fast moving enemies like you get on the higher difficulty levels? Just can't do enough damage before I'm surrounded and then all my options to keep from getting killed are suicidal.

Air Raider is still the most fun class in the game, though. Goddamn but I love the vehicles and airstrikes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Unless they patched it, the DS4 works perfectly fine until you hop in a vehicle. For some reason they vehicles will not work at all with the DS4. It should be fine as long as you don't play Air Raider.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
How do you use the Javelin Launcher properly? I want to be a bee so I have 2 equipped, but it seems most effective if you just point your face at the floor and go from there.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

EthanSteele posted:

How do you use the Javelin Launcher properly? I want to be a bee so I have 2 equipped, but it seems most effective if you just point your face at the floor and go from there.
Yep, you got it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

EthanSteele posted:

but it seems most effective if you just point your face at the floor and go from there.

Considering that's exactly how the Javelins function I would hope they would be effective that way. Seriously, gently caress actually trying to actually aim those things, just look at the ground and spin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

Considering that's exactly how the Javelins function I would hope they would be effective that way. Seriously, gently caress actually trying to actually aim those things, just look at the ground and spin.
Well, you can also play it like an old Artillery game and just constantly aim your shorts based on where the previous ones landed.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, you can also play it like an old Artillery game and just constantly aim your shorts based on where the previous ones landed.

If it didn't take a few hundred of the things to kill the most basic of enemies that might not be a huge waste of time. Problem is, it does. The answer to "how do I use the Javelins" will always be to make like an ostrich then Spin to Win.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

If it didn't take a few hundred of the things to kill the most basic of enemies that might not be a huge waste of time. Problem is, it does. The answer to "how do I use the Javelins" will always be to make like an ostrich then Spin to Win.
Oh, you mean the individual javelin launcher? That's useless as a weapon, it is only for dash canceling. I mean the one that fires 20 at once.

Also use it like Eva-03's similar weapon in End of Evangelion when you get caught.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I'm starting to think DLC2 mission 12 is probably the best place to take your later game armor farming, as it spawns both a gold ant and silver spider nest at the same time at the end. The nests only spawn up to 8 ants/6 spiders per wave at a longer delay between waves than the normal counterparts, but given how much loot these types drop, they're easily worth 2/3 times their number in normal bodies.

You can farm one or the other, or be risky and try to farm both with two players at once, but you do have to be a little watchful since it's still possible for an ant to escape and possibly ruin the whole thing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The Wing Diver's Final Days weapon is absolutely amazing. It's a big rear end laser fence that fling corpses a mile away.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I started up a youtube playlist of music that I thought would be thematically appropriate or otherwise just fun to play to for EDF. Please give me suggestions, as it's pretty barebones right now and about half tokusatsu/anime stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdadUnZz-2EjS1i-qEVyP0h_x_2ZxoI-9

Also did youtube get rid of the button that randomizes the order of playlists or what?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

I started up a youtube playlist of music that I thought would be thematically appropriate or otherwise just fun to play to for EDF. Please give me suggestions, as it's pretty barebones right now and about half tokusatsu/anime stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdadUnZz-2EjS1i-qEVyP0h_x_2ZxoI-9

Also did youtube get rid of the button that randomizes the order of playlists or what?

The only song you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
EDF command has decided that tank deployment to the battlefield takes too long. As such a new Rapid Deployment method has been developed to combat the Ravager threat.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I finally picked this up so I can yell EDF at my projection screen, along with cursing at troops that get in my way.

I had a few questions, based on the context that I played both EDF 2017 and Armageddon, and I liked the Fencer-like trooper in Armageddon.

* Should I play thru solo as Ranger or Fencer? I'm playing solo as I don't have time to play extended sessions online with others.
Is it worth the time learning the techniques to play the Fencer properly, as opposed to the simpler Ranger class?

I'm leaning towards Fencer since I liked that class in Armageddon, but I read on a FAQ that the Fencer seems to have a lot of weapons that are useless in singleplayer.
Link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/684232-earth-defense-force-2025/faqs/68904

The FAQ author above suggests the following for the Fencer:
- CC Strikers (except the Roller series)
- CC Piercers
- Automatic Artillery (except the Flame Revolver series)
- Artillery

And he does _not_ recommend for the Fencer:
- Shields (though you can dash-cancel with them)
- Missile launchers, unless you get one that does not need a guide-kit for solo play

Dash Cancelling (also has a section in the linked FAQ): As most of you know dash-cancelling is a great speed benefit for the Fencer, best with the Javelin Catapult.
This video supposedly illustrates dash cancelling with Fencer and Javelin Catapult:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMeEN2BXXOE

* How bad is recoil for the Fencer, is it annoying or playable?

* It sounds like Normal Hard difficulty is ideal to start with. Do I need to play lower difficulties to farm any weapons or is sticking with [s]Normal[s]Hard and harder difficulty levels just fine?

EDIT: I tried the first level on Hard a few times with both Ranger and Fencer. The Fencer adds more versatility with the speed from dash-cancelling (with shield and basic javelin) and the Ranger is a little simpler to play. Just still curious if the extra technique to learn from playing the Fencer is worth it in the long run, if anyone has an experienced opinion about it.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 25, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just play Fencer, you've played through a game or two as Ranger it sounds like.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Fencer gets Vibro Hammers.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I really want to like the Fencer but the class feels pretty imbalanced to me. He has a few awesome pros but a lot of cons. Dashing is fun, but that means you have to equip a melee weapon and shield, regardless of the level - there go two weapon slots. If the level has dropships, there are only a few weapons that can reach that far (and those weapons are boring!) - there goes another weapon slot. This leaves only 1 slot truly free.

He has more health, but not enough to make him a viable tank... that extra 500hp makes no difference against a point-blank spider shot. He does good burst damage, but that comes with four obvious drawbacks: sluggish aiming, kickback, extremely long reload times, and of course, the inability to move quickly unless you swap back out to a melee weapon.

This would all be perfectly OK if he did way more damage than the other classes, but he doesn't! And that's where I think they really dropped the ball. If I'm going to sacrifice mobility and aiming, make my weapons completely insane. Make my starting weapons literal nukes - I'm talking mushroom clouds. Why not? It's EDF! In his current state, even his most insane weapons just feel like Ranger grenade launchers.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have fun with a Fencer, I just feel like he's outclassed dramatically by the Ranger, especially solo. I wish the game had some sort of leaderboards or stat tracking so we could really figure this poo poo out, though. Even if it just tracked # of kills per player in multiplayer games, you could really get a better sense of how well loadouts work.

tl;dr; Fencer is Bad.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 25, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Polo-Rican posted:

I really want to like the Fencer but the class feels pretty imbalanced to me. He has a few awesome pros but a lot of cons. Dashing is fun, but that means you have to equip a melee weapon and shield, regardless of the level - there go two weapon slots. If the level has dropships, there are only a few weapons that can reach that far (and those weapons are boring!) - there goes another weapon slot. This leaves only 1 slot truly free.

He has more health, but not enough to make him a viable tank... that extra 500hp makes no difference against a point-blank spider shot. He does good burst damage, but that comes with four obvious drawbacks: sluggish aiming, kickback, extremely long reload times, and of course, the inability to move quickly unless you swap back out to a melee weapon.

This would all be perfectly OK if he did way more damage than the other classes, but he doesn't! And that's where I think they really dropped the ball. If I'm going to sacrifice mobility and aiming, make my weapons completely insane. Make my starting weapons literal nukes - I'm talking mushroom clouds. Why not? It's EDF! In his current state, even his most insane weapons just feel like Ranger grenade launchers.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have fun with a Fencer, I just feel like he's outclassed dramatically by the Ranger, especially solo. I wish the game had some sort of leaderboards or stat tracking so we could really figure this poo poo out, though. Even if it just tracked # of kills per player in multiplayer games, you could really get a better sense of how well loadouts work.

tl;dr; Fencer is Bad.

Fencer is great.

Except as anti-air. Which blows.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Polo-Rican posted:

Shield + melee aren't only good for dashing, though. The shield absorbs a ton of damage when you have it up, and melee weapons are AMAZING when you're surrounded by enemies. Spinning in circles firing the jackhammer completely destroys anything around you.

... I wouldn't play the Fencer single-player, though. To me, he's like the Air Raider - a huge asset in co-op, but not very good on his own.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
When I play Fencer I use a fast shield, a melee weapon of choice (jackhammer is fun), a long range artillery (accurate) for sniping and a shotgun for anti air trash. I can dash, I can fight bees and ufo's and if I get surrounded, deploy sheild and jackhammer like mad. Fencer is p. rad.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Polo-Rican posted:

He has more health, but not enough to make him a viable tank... that extra 500hp makes no difference against a point-blank spider shot.

That's not quite right, the fencer has better health scaling as well. I don't remember the specific numbers but he gets somewhere around 0.52 armour per pick up where as Ranger/Air-Raider get 0.48 and the Wing Diver gets 0.24.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

That's not quite right, the fencer has better health scaling as well. I don't remember the specific numbers but he gets somewhere around 0.52 armour per pick up where as Ranger/Air-Raider get 0.48 and the Wing Diver gets 0.24.

Oh yeah I realize that. That extra .04 hitpoints per box won't add up to much, though, unless you literally play this game for 10 years.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Levantine posted:

When I play Fencer I use a fast shield, a melee weapon of choice (jackhammer is fun), a long range artillery (accurate) for sniping and a shotgun for anti air trash. I can dash, I can fight bees and ufo's and if I get surrounded, deploy sheild and jackhammer like mad. Fencer is p. rad.

Yeah, I've said it many times in this thread before but you absolutely want a fast shield with the Fencer. It might be tempting to turtle behind a Tower Shield, or even the normal one, but if you're actually raising your shield you're just doing it wrong. Reflect, reflect, reflect. It's pretty hilarious to wipe out a group of enemies with their own reflected projectiles, and you take zero damage in the process which I'm pretty sure is better than blocking with even the best of shields.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, I've said it many times in this thread before but you absolutely want a fast shield with the Fencer. It might be tempting to turtle behind a Tower Shield, or even the normal one, but if you're actually raising your shield you're just doing it wrong. Reflect, reflect, reflect. It's pretty hilarious to wipe out a group of enemies with their own reflected projectiles, and you take zero damage in the process which I'm pretty sure is better than blocking with even the best of shields.

Yeah, watching a screen full of ant spit comically change direction and fly the other way will never not be funny to me and it's amazingly effective against fliers.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
There are melee and ranged weapons with a dash that you can use instead of a shield to dash cancel. You absolutely do not have to equip a shield to be effective.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lynx Winters posted:

There are melee and ranged weapons with a dash that you can use instead of a shield to dash cancel. You absolutely do not have to equip a shield to be effective.

I don't think anyone is saying you have to equip a shield to be effective, just that shield reflect is one of the more efficient ways of offing large groups of enemies especially on high difficulties.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Better off using a reflector if you're only going to deflect stuff. It's hilarious reflecting a Hectors full volley and destroying it in the process. Kind of sucks that there's only two of them and they have very little "ammo".

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Are people still playing this on Xbox? I'm thinking of picking it up.

I can't find a better deal than Amazon for $40, either though.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are people still playing this on Xbox? I'm thinking of picking it up.
Yeah, I'm still hitting this up about every evening 'cept Thursdays. Check the metatag or just friend Bizarro Cender.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Lynx Winters posted:

Could you explain how? I was using the method in the OP which seems to require a shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ultrachrist posted:

Could you explain how? I was using the method in the OP which seems to require a shield.
The javelin catapult is the usual weapon for that, it holds 200 or so ammo and fires one at a time and completely eliminates dash cooldown.