Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Kamakaze9 posted:

You could probably lose him/her in a mall somewhere. :rimshot:

I've been tempted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Any point in getting one of the "[camera model] for dummies" types of books? (Specifically for the Canon 6D)

I just got myself a Kindle (won it) and am looking for some books to put on it. I am not much of a book reader, when i read it has to be something nonfiction/factual. I already have "Understanding exposure" and "The Photographers Eye" (on paper) so theres not really any photography books i need; which made me think of a book to help me get more out of my camera. I consider myself past the beginner stage in using my camera and photography in general so i guess i am wondering how much new info i am going to get out of a book such as this?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I can't imagine those books bringing anything to the table that you couldn't learn between your owner's manual, systematically walking through your menus to see what options you have, and google.

Use the preview feature on amazon or something and look at the table of contents. See much you don't know or couldn't figure out? To me it looks like the product of easy content generation- take generic photography 101 advice, intersperse with verbose rehashing of the features in the owner's manual and the personable banter that "for dummies" books beat to death. These books are probably produced like Haynes manuals for cars, with copy/paste of generic information mixed with very superficial coverage of the specific model, such that the book is either wasting your time with the obvious or not giving you quite enough information to do complicated poo poo. Maybe if they cover in detail your stock processing sofware, which might otherwise be poorly documented. Again though there is probably a more specialized guide for that.

Incidentally you can also download your Owner's Manual in pdf and put it on your kindle.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
Got a question for any Nikon users.

Today I've upgraded from a D90 to a D610. There's a few things about the D610 where I don't know if it's a setting I can change, or something the camera is stuck with.

1. When viewing photos, on my D90 I can use the thumb-wheel thing. But the D610 will only let me use the D-pad thing. I like being able to use the wheel to fly through lots of photos.

2. With the D90 when auto-focusing, it would focus and then allow me to take the photo even if it didn't think it had successfully focused. With the D610 it refuses to release the shutter unless it thinks it's been able to successfully focus. Often it has focused when it doesn't think it has - so refuses to take the photo which is quite annoying. If it makes any difference I'm shooting in aperture priority mode.
Edit: I've got a feeling this is something to do with the ability to move the AF-point around with the D-pad thing. Which I can't do right now, it's choosing the AF points it thinks are appropriate. I'm going through the settings but I'm obviously blind - where's the setting?!

Any help with either of these questions would be much appreciated.

Manny Calavera fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 25, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Manny Calavera posted:

Got a question for any Nikon users.

Today I've upgraded from a D90 to a D610. There's a few things about the D610 where I don't know if it's a setting I can change, or something the camera is stuck with.

1. When viewing photos, on my D90 I can use the thumb-wheel thing. But the D610 will only let me use the D-pad thing. I like being able to use the wheel to fly through lots of photos.

2. With the D90 when auto-focusing, it would focus and then allow me to take the photo even if it didn't think it had successfully focused. With the D610 it refuses to release the shutter unless it thinks it's been able to successfully focus. Often it has focused when it doesn't think it has - so refuses to take the photo which is quite annoying. If it makes any difference I'm shooting in aperture priority mode.
Edit: I've got a feeling this is something to do with the ability to move the AF-point around with the D-pad thing. Which I can't do right now, it's choosing the AF points it thinks are appropriate. I'm going through the settings but I'm obviously blind - where's the setting?!

Any help with either of these questions would be much appreciated.

1. It's got a different UI. That's pretty much it. Unless there's some crazy setting I don't know about.

2. The setting you're looking for is probably under 'continuous shooting' and it's set to 'focus priority' and you want to set it to... something else. Also check your manual for how to change AF mode, it sounds like you want "Single-point AF" and it's doing something else. There used to be a dial for this on the back of Dxxx bodies but I guess they didn't put it on the D610 (unless it's somewhere else). There may be a physical button for it somewhere, which would explain it not being in the menus.

This is a D200 obviously, but the AF area mode switch is the thing below the d-pad, so if you see something that looks like that, that's probably what you want.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 26, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Manny Calavera posted:

You need to RTFM a lil'.

The no-release problem is because you're shooting AF-S with the default custom setting (focus priority). Switch to (preferably back button) AF-C or change the custom setting. Exposure mode has nothing to do with focus.

You can't choose your focus point because your focus points are set to 3D or auto instead of single point.

Everything but the custom setting can be set using the focus button (the middle of the AF/M lever next to the mount).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can change AF focus mode by pressing down on the button that's placed on top of the AF/MF switch that's sitting in the corner by the lens mount.

I sent mine in for service but I think holding the button + top command dial sets AF mode, the back one sets AF-S, AF-C, or whatever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've just had a short break and went sight-seeing. Two cameras for 5 days = 2,500 images. Digital cameras make taking photos too easy.

Even if I only take 10secs/image to evaluate and quickly crop/straighten/curve that's 7 full hours of editing.

My current plan is to store everything, not look at it for 30 years and then spend my entire retirement post-processing my library.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

You can change AF focus mode by pressing down on the button that's placed on top of the AF/MF switch that's sitting in the corner by the lens mount.

Thanks on behalf of the OP. I've never so much "even touched a D600", I just assumed it would have a dedicated button for that poo poo.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

spog posted:

I've just had a short break and went sight-seeing. Two cameras for 5 days = 2,500 images. Digital cameras make taking photos too easy.

Even if I only take 10secs/image to evaluate and quickly crop/straighten/curve that's 7 full hours of editing.

My current plan is to store everything, not look at it for 30 years and then spend my entire retirement post-processing my library.

Shoot large format :q:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Remy Marathe posted:

I can't imagine those books bringing anything to the table that you couldn't learn between your owner's manual, systematically walking through your menus to see what options you have, and google.
Seconding "get the manual in PDF." For more general knowledge, find an ebook of a photography textbook.

Tangent: my dad got the Life Library of Photography back in the '70s.

My textbook for Photo 101 was a distilled version of that. Same illustrations and all.

Manny Calavera posted:

2. With the D90 when auto-focusing, it would focus and then allow me to take the photo even if it didn't think it had successfully focused. With the D610 it refuses to release the shutter unless it thinks it's been able to successfully focus.
That's somewhere in the custom settings. I know it's a switch, but I have no idea where it is, too lazy to change it even though I've used Nikons professionally and personally for 13 years now.

Fun times: at the newspaper, back when we had D1s, we'd prank/haze fellow photogs by changing their camera's menu language to Japanese. One of my coworkers is owed a bunch of favors because only he could navigate the menus without looking and was always called on to fix it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Which books on composition would people recommend? I've always been OK at fixing the lighting in post, but the shots themselves usually just seem lacking.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which books on composition would people recommend? I've always been OK at fixing the lighting in post, but the shots themselves usually just seem lacking.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572853

Any book on 'art' will do

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think The Photographer's Eye is the book that's normally recommended on here.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Delivery McGee posted:

Oh man, my dad has that set too. I forgot all about it, but seeing that stack of books jogged my memory of the set on one of the bookshelves in the basement. I'll have to peruse/borrow it sometime.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Remy Marathe posted:

Incidentally you can also download your Owner's Manual in pdf and put it on your kindle.

Yeah this is mostly the impression i had.

I didnt realise i could put PDFs onto the Kindle (though am not very surprised), i will have to look into that!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

There may be variations but it should work just like a USB drive, so it's as easy as dropping a pdf into the documents folder. More details here.

Some PDFs I've found unwieldy on the kindle, or in the case of graphic-heavy things I've run out of RAM reading them. If you run into that you could try getting it converted to an .azw:

quote:

Note: You can also send your personal documents via e-mail as attachments to [name]@free.kindle.com. To have a document converted to Kindle format (.azw), the subject line should be "convert." Kindle Personal Documents Service will attempt to deliver your personal documents to the e-mail address associated with the Amazon account to which the device is registered. You can use the e-mail to download the file to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle device using a USB connection.

If I understand it right, by using the "free" email subdomain they will email the converted version to you rather than directly uploading it to your kindle. This should avoid charges for using their "personal document service". [name] isn't necessarily your amazon account name, but you can find out what it is under your amazon account/kindle management.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 26, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I bought a YN565EX external flash to use with my Canon t3i/600D. It's working pretty well, only thing is I can't get into the external flash func. setting menu.

Is this normal? Is the flash just not compatible with this, since it's not a Canon flash?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Delivery McGee posted:

My girlfriend acquired an incomplete set of these - about 11 or 12 of the books - before we met, and tried to get rid of them. I took them, but they're just sitting around my place. I really need to dive into them and read them. Perhaps I'll learn something.

spog posted:

What's your workflow? Do you do a first-pass through the collection in Lightroom (or equivalent) and make snap decisions about "keep" vs. "delete"? That's always the first step for me, and should cut your workload down from 2500 images @ 10s each to something like 200 images @ 10s each + 50 images @ 60s each (those 50 are the "that's really exceptionally good" and the "I might be polishing a turd" set).

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
SoundMonkey, evil_bunny, 1st AD, thank you for your help.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

triplexpac posted:

I bought a YN565EX external flash to use with my Canon t3i/600D. It's working pretty well, only thing is I can't get into the external flash func. setting menu.

Is this normal? Is the flash just not compatible with this, since it's not a Canon flash?

Yes, it has to be an actual Canon speedlight to get into that menu. There may be offbrands that trick it somehow but I wasn't able to do it on my T4i

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

mclifford82 posted:

Yes, it has to be an actual Canon speedlight to get into that menu. There may be offbrands that trick it somehow but I wasn't able to do it on my T4i

Ok, thanks! Just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

What would be in that menu, anyway? The stuff that I can change using the actual on-flash controls, I assume?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

mclifford82 posted:

^^^^ And yeah basically flash controls (E-TTL/Manual/Multi) and group controls and such... I don't see how beneficial it would be with a single flash tied to the camera.

You can trick it by buying the wireless triggers from yongnuo... those works fine with my 6D/5DMKII

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

xenilk posted:

You can trick it by buying the wireless triggers from yongnuo... those works fine with my 6D/5DMKII

Actually that's the other thing I was thinking...

I'm still figuring all this out, are wireless triggers recommended even though my t3i can do wireless on it's own? The way I understand it, the triggers make the flash less dependant on line of sight.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

I'm still figuring all this out, are wireless triggers recommended even though my t3i can do wireless on it's own? The way I understand it, the triggers make the flash less dependant on line of sight.

Yeah, those are RF triggers which don't depend at all on line of site which is nice. Although the optical flash triggering works pretty well as is - and if you needed to eek a little more functionality out of it you could probably rig something up like a little bit of foil in front of the sensor on the flash, to reflect the signal back at it.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

triplexpac posted:

I have like 4 sets of the YN 603 radio triggers and they're awesome. Not as dependable as PocketWizards (I get one dropped shot in about 50, so it's not terrible either), but you can't beat the price.

Plus you can handhold one as a remote trigger for the camera itself.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

e:nm

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 28, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I'm not sure if there is another thread that is better suited to this question, but I am about to head off to Paris for a week where we will be visiting lots of galleries etc. Are there any photography exhibitions/galleries that are must-sees that anyone knows of?

Also heading to Berlin and Amsterdam so same question again for those as well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

deaders posted:

I'm not sure if there is another thread that is better suited to this question, but I am about to head off to Paris for a week where we will be visiting lots of galleries etc. Are there any photography exhibitions/galleries that are must-sees that anyone knows of?

There's also this thread that nobody has posted in for over a month, or try the Tourism & Travel forum.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

deaders posted:

FOAM in a'dam

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

deaders posted:

In Berlin, C/O Gallery is great and has some other galleries nearby and the Helmut Newton Foundation/Museum für fotografie is also very nice (think huge Helmut Newton prints).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I think The Photographer's Eye is the book that's normally recommended on here.

Great book, would highly recommend. It says Digital on the cover but a lot of it was written with Film in mind then slightly updated. Doesn't make a huge difference but a lot of the images in the book are in Kodachrome, which you'll never get to use :smith:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Primo Itch posted:

In Berlin, C/O Gallery is great and has some other galleries nearby and the Helmut Newton Foundation/Museum für fotografie is also very nice (think huge Helmut Newton prints).

evil_bunnY posted:

FOAM in a'dam

Thanks for the recommendations, those look good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

a lot of the images in the book are in Kodachrome, which you'll never get to use :smith:

Speak for yourself, I have 4 rolls in my freezer.:smuggo:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

8th-snype posted:

Speak for yourself, I have 4 rolls in my freezer.:smuggo:

Ok, so you can use it, but what the hell are you going to do after you finish shooting?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

Ok, so you can use it, but what the hell are you going to do after you finish shooting?

You just don't understand my art.:radcat:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've got a roll in my freezer too. Holding out for those mysterious Russians/...uh.... Lomokino... to let us develop them. In the meantime, I'll develop as black and white in my homemade coffee sludge :c00lbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Elliotw2 posted:

Cross process as b/w.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elliotw2 posted:

Your words fill me with sorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

spend three weeks scraping remjet off your reels