Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The small business I work for occasionally needs to get credit card information from clients so we can order things on their behalf. Is there an easy, secure way we can store them digitally that doesn't cost a fortune? Right now we usually just have them read the number to us over the phone, then shred the piece of paper we wrote it on whenever we're done. However this is a huge pain in the rear end because we have to ask them for their info again and again and again.

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

It seems like the general consensus is to take Anatomy before Physiology, but I just took a biology course, so would it be smarter to take physio first while chemical processes and micro stuff is fresh in my mind?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I'm taking a distance course, but the teacher and most of the other students are in the US whereas I'm in the UK. As a result our class discussion is scheduled in the middle of the night (2-3am this week, 3-4am next week) for me. What's the best way to adjust my sleep schedule to cope with this? It's midweek so I'll still have to go to work the next working (I can't stay up all night or go to bed too much earlier).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kedo posted:

The small business I work for occasionally needs to get credit card information from clients so we can order things on their behalf. Is there an easy, secure way we can store them digitally that doesn't cost a fortune? Right now we usually just have them read the number to us over the phone, then shred the piece of paper we wrote it on whenever we're done. However this is a huge pain in the rear end because we have to ask them for their info again and again and again.

Ideas?

Truecrypt.
Make a truecrypt volume to store that info in text files or whatever, store that volume on Dropbox if you want redundant backups.
To break that encryption takes the likes of the NSA or a country, and even they have to really want it.

Edit: though it was developed by the nsa or maybe the cia, so they almost certainly have a secret back door, but that's irrelevant cause the nsa already knows your clients' credit card info and doesn't need it anyway.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 26, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'm taking a distance course, but the teacher and most of the other students are in the US whereas I'm in the UK. As a result our class discussion is scheduled in the middle of the night (2-3am this week, 3-4am next week) for me. What's the best way to adjust my sleep schedule to cope with this? It's midweek so I'll still have to go to work the next working (I can't stay up all night or go to bed too much earlier).

If it's just once a week, I wouldn't adjust my whole schedule for it. Just try to get 3.5-4 hours of sleep on both sides, and you should be fine to wake up for an hour in the middle. I've seen articles saying this use to be a more natural way people slept before the modern age, and some people like it more than sleeping 7-8 hours straight.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

alnilam posted:

Truecrypt.
Make a truecrypt volume to store that info in text files or whatever, store that volume on Dropbox if you want redundant backups.
To break that encryption takes the likes of the NSA or a country, and even they have to really want it.

Edit: though it was developed by the nsa or maybe the cia, so they almost certainly have a secret back door, but that's irrelevant cause the nsa already knows your clients' credit card info and doesn't need it anyway.

Coolio, thanks for the recommendation!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

kedo posted:

Ideas?

You should be careful to make sure that you're not in a situation where you're required to be PCI-Complicant. This can be hugely expensive for a small company.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I am a huge fan of the Giant Bombcast, and recently they have been discussing a spirit by the name of Buckfast Tonic Wine.

I tried to see about importing some via Amazon, but they will not sell to me here in the US of A.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get my hands on some? For the record, I'm well over 21, and just want it for the comedy factor.

Adversely, if acquiring this is more complex than an online order, feel free to PM me.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I am a huge fan of the Giant Bombcast, and recently they have been discussing a spirit by the name of Buckfast Tonic Wine.

I tried to see about importing some via Amazon, but they will not sell to me here in the US of A.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get my hands on some? For the record, I'm well over 21, and just want it for the comedy factor.

Adversely, if acquiring this is more complex than an online order, feel free to PM me.

As far as I'm aware, it's nearly impossible to legally ship alcohol in the USA. The USPS won't touch it at all and the private companies have very stringent requirements (which I think basically boil down to "you must be a registered business with the appropriate licenses").

Also, importing alcohol from overseas attracts a sizable amount of duty tax which is normally exempt when you're carrying it in yourself.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 26, 2014

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shipping booze is fairly routine, wtf are you talking about?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Lost For Words posted:

USPS won't ship any alcohol.

FedEx will only do wine to consumers (liquor and beer are business to business only) and I think you have to be a registered alcohol shipping business or something. Same for UPS.

I only just realized the drink in question was a fortified wine, so my mistake I thought it was a spirit, but the duty tax stuff still applies.

Shipping alcoholic beverages through a courier is permitted, however, duty will be collected on the entire shipment (there is no duty exemption for alcohol not accompanying a traveler), and the courier will probably charge handling and Customs Broker fees that could significantly raise the cost of the shipment.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/212/~/requirements-for-importing-alcohol-for-personal-use

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Lost For Words posted:

For large swaths of the U.S. Liquor distribution is actually horribly corrupt. If I had to choose which was more corrupt, waste management, or alcohol distribution, then it would be alcohol distribution by a large margin. The local garbagemen are honest hardworking men. But the local liquor distributors have a monopoly, and aren't above bribing politicians, or breaking fingers to keep their monopoly.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 26, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Doctor_Acula posted:

Seriously do yourself a favour and don't bother. Unless you want to role play as a Scottish jakey or teenage ned about to go on a rampage and glass someone before mugging an old lady for her pension. This is the drink that's notorious throughout Scotland. Get yourself a nice port instead.

Helith fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 26, 2014

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Helith posted:

Seriously do yourself a favour and don't bother. Unless you want to role play as a Scottish jakey or teenage ned about to go on a rampage and glass someone before mugging an old lady for her pension. This is the drink that's notorious throughout Scotland. Get yourself a nice port instead.

I am not saying it's a classy thing by any stretch, and I'm a total wine/beer snob. It is literally for a livestream joke that I want it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

You should be careful to make sure that you're not in a situation where you're required to be PCI-Complicant. This can be hugely expensive for a small company.

If they're already taking numbers over the phone and shredding scraps of paper, I doubt they're very worried about that, but it may be worth looking into whether you're supposed to be PCI compliant (and then, if desired, ignore it).

Also, for the TrueCrypt thing, obviously make sure you and your coworkers aren't idiots with the passwords. The phassword (or phrase) should be long and weird and NEVER stored anywhere that someone else could find it. Really, it should only be stored in your heads, and anyway if you lose it you just have to ask them their numbers again.

My suggestion is some long phrase, and then do some light 1337-ification of it.

code:
th1s i$ a R34LLY g00d p4$$word!!
(if spaces are allowed, otherwise just remove them)
Seriously that's an incredibly strong password. Nobody (who does not have the resources of a national government) will break that passphrase computationally. It's long. It has numbers, symbols, lowercase and capital letters. It has no dictionary words in it (they're broken up by numbers/symbols). And it's way easier to remember than a7wazzi738!!$LLVZF.
I think TrueCrypt recommends 20 characters or more. And probably make your phrase not about passwords and not the name of your business. Something weird but memorable like "find the white whale" or "fart gently caress hell lol" or "periodic table of the elements."

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

alnilam posted:

If they're already taking numbers over the phone and shredding scraps of paper, I doubt they're very worried about that, but it may be worth looking into whether you're supposed to be PCI compliant (and then, if desired, ignore it).

Well I guess we probably do need to be worried about it since we're a business and all, and judging by this page we'd need to be compliant. This is surely a better safe than sorry scenario, but man what a pain in the rear end.

There are some web based services out there that will store customer credit card info, but the ones I've found come bundled with a slew of other stuff we don't need and thus end up costing a bunch.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When I signed into Dropbox with my HTC phone, I got a 25GB upgrade. So, for two years, I've had 25GB of space. I've really gotten used to it, and I keep a bunch of stuff there.

The promotion is up next month, and I go back to 11GB, which is reasonable, but small.

I have web hosting through GoDaddy where I have (a ton) of free space and bandwidth.

Is there some kind of app I can run that will do a Dropbox knockoff?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Also, for the TrueCrypt thing, obviously make sure you and your coworkers aren't idiots with the passwords. The phassword (or phrase) should be long and weird and NEVER stored anywhere that someone else could find it. Really, it should only be stored in your heads, and anyway if you lose it you just have to ask them their numbers again.

My suggestion is some long phrase, and then do some light 1337-ification of it.

code:
th1s i$ a R34LLY g00d p4$$word!!
(if spaces are allowed, otherwise just remove them)
Seriously that's an incredibly strong password. Nobody (who does not have the resources of a national government) will break that passphrase computationally. It's long. It has numbers, symbols, lowercase and capital letters. It has no dictionary words in it (they're broken up by numbers/symbols). And it's way easier to remember than a7wazzi738!!$LLVZF.
I think TrueCrypt recommends 20 characters or more. And probably make your phrase not about passwords and not the name of your business. Something weird but memorable like "find the white whale" or "fart gently caress hell lol" or "periodic table of the elements."

Actually, dictionary attacks account for replacement of numbers for letters. Graphics cards have also been used to significantly increase the speed of brute force hacks. One GPU can increase a hackers speed by over twenty times over the fastest CPU. Password cracking is extremely parallel, meaning the more cores the better and GPUs have hundreds upon thousands of cores.

You only need one PCI Express lane for cracking. So you can buy PCI express splitters and extension cables and with enough juice from your power supply, run over 30 video cards in one computer. A security researcher two years ago built a 25 GPU server cluster and cracked every 8 character password for Windows in under six hours through BRUTE FORCE. Eight characters being the usual password length for enterprises.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kedo posted:

Well I guess we probably do need to be worried about it since we're a business and all, and judging by this page we'd need to be compliant. This is surely a better safe than sorry scenario, but man what a pain in the rear end.

There are some web based services out there that will store customer credit card info, but the ones I've found come bundled with a slew of other stuff we don't need and thus end up costing a bunch.

You're sort of in a grey area according to that website - you're only using the cards to order stuff on the customer's behalf, right? You never process the credit card as a payment to your own organization?

Also, according to hearsay on a blog, TrueCrypt is sufficient encryption to comply with the "keep it encrypted" portion of PCI compliance.

SlayVus posted:

Actually, dictionary attacks account for replacement of numbers for letters.

Well c0l0r m3 c0rr3c73d.

Do they account for interrup666ting words? I feel like that'd be hard cause how could you know how many characters the interruption will be.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

alnilam posted:

You're sort of in a grey area according to that website - you're only using the cards to order stuff on the customer's behalf, right? You never process the credit card as a payment to your own organization?

Also, according to hearsay on a blog, TrueCrypt is sufficient encryption to comply with the "keep it encrypted" portion of PCI compliance.

Yeah, we're not actually using their cards in this manner to accept payment. When we do, we do it through Square. I think I'll pass this all along to someone else as it doesn't sound like there's a quick and easy solution. Oh well!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If the bacteria that causes tetanus is intollerant to oxygen, how does it live in a human body? I don't mean the spores, I mean the bacteria itself once the spores come in and the bacteria starts reproducing.

Tetanus is dangerous if you get it into a deep cut or puncture wound, like stepping on a dirty nail. The tetanus bacterium lives in anaerobic conditions in soil, and deep inside muscles or fat there isn't very much oxygen compared to an open wound.

I have also heard from a doctor that not a single person who has at some point had a tetanus shot has ever died from it.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

alnilam posted:

Well c0l0r m3 c0rr3c73d.

Do they account for interrup666ting words? I feel like that'd be hard cause how could you know how many characters the interruption will be.

You were right. While the character substitution alone doesn't do much (apart from satisfying the annoying requirement of having one uppercase and one special character), linking together words absolutely does. Relevant XKCD.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Wyatt posted:

You were right. While the character substitution alone doesn't do much (apart from satisfying the annoying requirement of having one uppercase and one special character), linking together words absolutely does. Relevant XKCD.

That xkcd's assuming brute force cracking character-by-character. A dictionary-based attack cuts some time out because it's using actual words, and the set of "collection of character that make words" is significantly smaller than the set of "all possible character combinations"

Edit: That's not to say that stringing together a password with lots of words isn't good, it's just not nearly as good as that comic suggests. Really the only secure password is something long and completely random, like you can get from stuff like 1password.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 26, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have about 200 PDFs and I want to add a page at the end of every PDF file. It will be the same page at the end of every PDF. Is there a program that can do this in bulk?

I've found a few PDF merging programs that kind of does what I want but I can't really do it in bulk since if I place all 200 PDFs in queue, it will think I want to combine all 200 PDFs together.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I have about 200 PDFs and I want to add a page at the end of every PDF file. It will be the same page at the end of every PDF. Is there a program that can do this in bulk?

I've found a few PDF merging programs that kind of does what I want but I can't really do it in bulk since if I place all 200 PDFs in queue, it will think I want to combine all 200 PDFs together.

I think you could use Ghostscript command line utility. There's a way to do batch processing, I think, or otherwise you could write a little shell script (a bash .sh file, a dos *.bat file, whatever OS you use) to loop through a whole directory and apply the same operation to each file.

Or, if you don't feel like figuring out loops, you could:
-Copy the entire list of filenames (you can get this using "dir" in DOS or "ls" in unix-type systems).
-Paste into text file
-Run down the beginning of every line and paste in all the parts of the ghostscript command that precedes the filename
-Run down the end of every line and paste in all the parts of the ghostscript command that comes after the filename

Pasting something 200 times is easier than running through a GUI 200 times, which is what you're describing your situation as right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do I create a custom RSS feed of a handful of other websites feeds? I don't mean that I want a feed reader, but I want to create a custom RSS feed based on multiple other RSS feeds for the purposes of plugging a single URL into a 3rd party app.

I've tried using Feedly or Digg Reader and exporting, but they both just put out an XML/OPML file and don't give me an actual link that I can use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

How do I create a custom RSS feed of a handful of other websites feeds? I don't mean that I want a feed reader, but I want to create a custom RSS feed based on multiple other RSS feeds for the purposes of plugging a single URL into a 3rd party app.

I've tried using Feedly or Digg Reader and exporting, but they both just put out an XML/OPML file and don't give me an actual link that I can use.

I think Feedburner still lets you do this, I used to use it for that several years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Install Windows posted:

I think Feedburner still lets you do this, I used to use it for that several years ago.

Couldn't figure out how to do it there, but it led me down a path to find chimpfeedr.com which worked perfectly. Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

Couldn't figure out how to do it there, but it led me down a path to find chimpfeedr.com which worked perfectly. Thanks!

Good to know! I guess it was removed from feedburner after all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I'm going to be in the rain for the majority of a college tour on Friday. The only rainproof thing I have is a jacket (which works amazingly well) and a standard umbrella. But below the belt all I have are Levis and your every day Nike street shoes. Cash is sort of a problem, so I need some cheap ideas here. What can I do to keep my lower half dry (and also comfortable since Im going to be walking in the rain all day)?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Trash bag skirt and shopping bag shoes. Other than that I have no ideas that wouldn't make you look like a hobo without spending money.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well I can dedicate $30 maybe $40 at best, so I can go a notch above that. I'm concerned about my pants, and I have no idea what people do to remedy that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avocados posted:

So I'm going to be in the rain for the majority of a college tour on Friday. The only rainproof thing I have is a jacket (which works amazingly well) and a standard umbrella. But below the belt all I have are Levis and your every day Nike street shoes. Cash is sort of a problem, so I need some cheap ideas here. What can I do to keep my lower half dry (and also comfortable since Im going to be walking in the rain all day)?

You can get rubber shoes that go over regular shoes for fairly cheap, but I'm not sure what stores you'd go to to buy them these days. You also might be able to get generic rubber rain boots pretty cheap

Your pants will probably actually be fine, so long as the rain isn't too heavy nor heavy winds. It can help to wear long underwear (which is cheap if you don't already have any) or possibly to buy some of those synthetic fiber workout pants to wear over top.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Avocados posted:

Disposable rain suits are under $10, and some even come with disposable shoe covers. If not, the covers are even cheaper.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Well I can dedicate $30 maybe $40 at best, so I can go a notch above that. I'm concerned about my pants, and I have no idea what people do to remedy that.

Check out a hiking store. Mountain Equipment Coop's (:canada:) lowest tier rain gear was about $35 for pants IIRC. They're fashionable for rain gear at the price as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I can't check right now but I'm 90% sure that Adobe Acrobat Pro lets you add or remove pages from several different PDF files at once.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There are waterproof pants you put over your normal pants for cycling and trekking if you don't mind looking like a dork.

e. was answered already

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you search your name with the forums Search Feature, to see who is quoting / talking about you in threads you haven't posted in? On a scale of 1-10 how egotistical is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Do any of you search your name with the forums Search Feature, to see who is quoting / talking about you in threads you haven't posted in? On a scale of 1-10 how egotistical is that?

On par with Googling yourself but nerdier. Maybe a 6.

All that comes up for me are threads I post in and random Japanese poo poo because apparently my name means "but." :smith: