Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RottenK posted:

Well, Rift is still around and doing pretty well, AFAIK, so I think that if the devs don't gently caress up too much Wildstar can manage to not die too.

Only after it went free to play, which happened because the subscriber base collapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I think they had a decent amount of subs when it went F2P.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

They had a sustainable amount of subs, but swtor proved that you can make more money with f2p.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

They had a sustainable amount of subs, but swtor proved that you can make more money with f2p.

LotRO was the first to prove this. Their big announcement of "We made three times as much revenue after going free-to-play" is the spark that set everything on fire. Microtransaction fire. :supaburn:

vvvvv

Arzachel posted:

I understand that big swooping canned animations with locked movement make it much easier to convey impact, but the combat in Tera felt really stiff and clunky for me.

This, this is why I hated Tera's combat so much. It felt so goddamn slow and ponderous, and locking movement is just the worst. Even WoW's combat felt better because even a caster class can choose to move when they want to.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 26, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I understand that big swooping canned animations with locked movement make it much easier to convey impact, but the combat in Tera felt really stiff and clunky for me. I much prefer the combat in Wildstar and GW2 even though both could use a few frames of hitstop, maybe even on whiffs.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arzachel posted:

I understand that big swooping canned animations with locked movement make it much easier to convey impact, but the combat in Tera felt really stiff and clunky for me. I much prefer the combat in Wildstar and GW2 even though both could use a few frames of hitstop, maybe even on whiffs.

thats not how hitstop works

hitstop is there to convey impact when an attack hits an opponent. to both tell the player that the thing hit through "feel", and to give the idea that theres a physical thing blocking the path of the attack. it's basically a ghetto feedback system for how physics actually works. if a thing is in the way of your sword, your sword stops, or if you punch a dude, your fist isnt going to go through their face. hitstop is resistance in the most simplified format and a positive piece of feedback that also accompanies things like hit particles and sound effects and hit reels from the guy who gets hit.

adding hitstop to a whiff does nothing to differentiate a hit from a whiff, which is what hitstop IS.

maybe saying the animation needs tweaking so keyframes animate for longer for clarity/feel purposes is what you meant?

i agree that hitstop definitely makes combat oriented games feel better, which WS does not have. i'm not sure how good it would look if you added extra frames of animation on keyframes on the condition they hit, but thats about the only way you could add hitstop to WS without changing the gameplay. it would probably be too resource intensive considering the release date.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 26, 2014

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
I just realized pre order beta access is still level capped to 17 so I guess I get to check out plenty of classes.

I am not good at reading.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Arzachel posted:

The purpose is not only to convey impact. It is also to add a little bit of accountability to the choices that the player makes during combat. Constantly thinking about the timing of your attacks in order to deal the most damage while simultaneously minimizing the damage that your player takes makes combat feel a lot more strategic, meaningful, and ultimately more fun imo. I thought TERA did it very well at least with most of the classes.

However, I do understand that not everyone enjoys this sort of thing. That's okay.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

thats not how hitstop works

hitstop is there to convey impact when an attack hits an opponent. to both tell the player that the thing hit through "feel", and to give the idea that theres a physical thing blocking the path of the attack. it's basically a ghetto feedback system for how physics actually works. if a thing is in the way of your sword, your sword stops, or if you punch a dude, your fist isnt going to go through their face. hitstop is resistance in the most simplified format and a positive piece of feedback that also accompanies things like hit particles and sound effects and hit reels from the guy who gets hit.

adding hitstop to a whiff does nothing to differentiate a hit from a whiff, which is what hitstop IS.

maybe saying the animation needs tweaking so keyframes animate for longer for clarity/feel purposes is what you meant?

i agree that hitstop definitely makes combat oriented games feel better, which WS does not have. i'm not sure how good it would look if you added extra frames of animation on keyframes on the condition they hit, but thats about the only way you could add hitstop to WS without changing the gameplay. it would probably be too resource intensive considering the release date.

Yeah, worded that poorly. I meant that I'd like to see hitstop and maybe a similar but less pronounced effect applied to whiffs too.

Xavier434 posted:

The purpose is not only to convey impact. It is also to add a little bit of accountability to the choices that the player makes during combat. Constantly thinking about the timing of your attacks in order to deal the most damage while simultaneously minimizing the damage that your player takes makes combat feel a lot more strategic, meaningful, and ultimately more fun imo. I thought TERA did it very well at least with most of the classes.

However, I do understand that not everyone enjoys this sort of thing. That's okay.

I find that GCD, cast time and channeling skills accomplish the same thing without the stiffness.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kerrrrrrr posted:

LotRO was the first to prove this. Their big announcement of "We made three times as much revenue after going free-to-play" is the spark that set everything on fire. Microtransaction fire. :supaburn:

If a game has really good F2P offerings then people like me will spend ridiculous amounts of money. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Planetside 2 cosmetics because I can't help myself, and its definitely more than what they would have gotten otherwise.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

LOTRO definitely saw a big F2P spike in activity, however what happens when the population dwindles again is that they're stuck relying on increasingly overpriced store items to bring in money. The affect of this on LOTRO was that content has continued to decline in quality and they just did another round of layoffs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Eonwe posted:

If a game has really good F2P offerings then people like me will spend ridiculous amounts of money. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Planetside 2 cosmetics because I can't help myself, and its definitely more than what they would have gotten otherwise.

Yep. I've probably spent a lot more on Tanks and Rift (and even SWTOR) than I would have spent for subscription for the same time frame of playing those games.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

Eonwe posted:

I haven't tried to deal with it but I feel like every time I look at SWTOR's F2P setup I assume it would just be easier to pay the subscription.

Edit: Also guilty of dropping at least ~80 on Planetside for the first few months.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Hey all, just realized there's been mixed messaging and wanted to make sure those of you who took advantage of this don't get screwed at launch:

Green Man Gaming's is selling both EU and NA keys. If you bought a key through them because you wanted that sweet 20% off deal, make sure you buy the right region. Our CS guys can't do anything to fix you, you'll need to go through GMG if you bought the wrong region.

Really sorry for all this confusion, we're still trying to sort out everything as quickly as possible and wanted to make sure this got out there quickly.

EDIT: I am dumb and just made things more confusing. GMG is selling BOTH, just check which page you're on before you order.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2014

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

Pryce posted:

Hey all, just realized there's been mixed messaging and wanted to make sure those of you who took advantage of this don't get screwed at launch:

Green Man Gaming's keys are all EU keys. If you bought a key through them because you wanted that sweet 20% off deal, you'll be playing on EU servers when we release WildStar. Our CS guys can't do anything to fix you, so if you're looking to play on the NA servers you'll need to buy a key from an NA retailer (and probably want a refund from GMG).

Really sorry for all this confusion, we're still trying to sort out everything as quickly as possible and wanted to make sure this got out there quickly.

Well that explains all the germans when I was playing.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

MuffinMan posted:

Well that explains all the germans when I was playing.

Nah, we don't have separate EU/NA realms yet. THAT's why you see a bunch of Germans right now.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

Pryce posted:

Nah, we don't have separate EU/NA realms yet. THAT's why you see a bunch of Germans right now.

So do you guys have this listed anywhere officially? I can't exactly link back to a post on the something awful forums.

The item page and receipt from GMG clearly say (NA) so this is kind of awkward.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Pryce posted:

Green Man Gaming's keys are all EU keys. If you bought a key through them because you wanted that sweet 20% off deal, you'll be playing on EU servers when we release WildStar. Our CS guys can't do anything to fix you, so if you're looking to play on the NA servers you'll need to buy a key from an NA retailer (and probably want a refund from GMG).

Wow. What a PR nightmare that's going to be for Carbine when customers get told by support that they're SOL. I was about to pull the trigger this morning before my 25% voucher expired. So glad I didn't.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

MuffinMan posted:

So do you guys have this listed anywhere officially? I can't exactly link back to a post on the something awful forums.

EDIT: I am dumb. So sorry. They sell both, just double check which you're purchasing before you buy it (it says NA or EU at the top of their page).

Pryce fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 26, 2014

Pryce
May 21, 2011
EDIT: DOUBLE POST JESUS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME TODAY

Pryce fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 26, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I bought it directly from the NCSoft site, do activate the key now or wait until release?

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

Sweet, now get my account beta-level cap removed for giving me a brief heart attack.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

MuffinMan posted:

For me it clearly says gently caress all other than the legal mention saying "copyright ncsoft europe" in the lower right corner of the page, and the fact that they charged me in €. I assume they use geolocalization based on your ip to figure out your region but they should state it explicitly to avoid any doubt.

Pryce, I think the wildstar account page on the official site and on the ncsoft account page should explicitly says whether it's the EU or NA version, it would avoid a lot of headache.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pryce posted:

EDIT: DOUBLE POST JESUS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME TODAY

Way to go Pryce, pre-order cancelled!!!

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Zlodo posted:

Pryce, I think the wildstar account page on the official site and on the ncsoft account page should explicitly says whether it's the EU or NA version, it would avoid a lot of headache.

While they're at it they should also change the support site where the ticket submission form asks you to enter a 25 digit code, which almost gave me a heart attack since it wouldn't accept my 20 digit code and the reason I was writing in the first place was issues activating the code.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The forums are just teaming with elitism. There was a thread asking for keyboard turning speed increase slider and basically the entire thread was "Quit playing the game wrong, we don't care if you have one hand."

I understand they want to get the hardcore crowd with this game, but jesus. People telling people they're playing the game wrong when they only have one hand?!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

SlayVus posted:

The forums are just teaming with elitism. There was a thread asking for keyboard turning speed increase slider and basically the entire thread was "Quit playing the game wrong, we don't care if you have one hand."

I understand they want to get the hardcore crowd with this game, but jesus. People telling people they're playing the game wrong when they only have one hand?!

Well it is a game targetted on the (poo poo)lords of 2005 era WoW raid scene...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Arzachel posted:

I find that GCD, cast time and channeling skills accomplish the same thing without the stiffness.

There is a lot less player and combat design flexibility taking that approach. It is a very different experience even if some of the purposes are the same.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 27, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlayVus posted:

If he were a dedicated hardcore gamer he never would have lost that hand. He needs to go play with the other casuals. :smug:

eonwe fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 27, 2014

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

The forums same to have the same awful tone of every other MMO forum I've ever read.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Why would people even be lovely about that? Sure it's not going to be a priority for 95% of players, but it's not like carbine would have to divert their entire raid team to implementing that or anything. Also The forums seemed pretty civil when they were private.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Deki posted:

Also The forums seemed pretty civil when they were private.

Uh...they were definitely not. I stopped posting feedback because I was called something in the vein of a filthy idiot casual on multiple occasions.

This game's community is foul.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh...they were definitely not. I stopped posting feedback because I was called something in the vein of a filthy idiot casual on multiple occasions.

This game's community is foul.

Be honest. It's quite disingenuous to state it that way. ALL game communities are foul. Even the GW2 public forums are rife with this kind of poo poo. In my opinion, havnig a poo poo community on the forums does not effect my enjoyment of the game itself. I know for a fact that we often point and laugh at some sperglord's 10 page diatribe about Scarlet Briar or how he can relate to Logan's friendzone situation with the queen, or even how the game is going down in flames ever since they added server transfers for pvp that ruined his precious jewel of a server by allowing all the pubbies to switch over to the server he rightfully switched over to WEEKS ago!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I really wish I could have somehow not heard about the 40 man raiding in this game and maybe I'd still have a small amount of hope that it wasn't going to turn into a shitheap of insufferable aspies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wet Fifty posted:

Be honest. It's quite disingenuous to state it that way. ALL game communities are foul. Even the GW2 public forums are rife with this kind of poo poo. In my opinion, havnig a poo poo community on the forums does not effect my enjoyment of the game itself. I know for a fact that we often point and laugh at some sperglord's 10 page diatribe about Scarlet Briar or how he can relate to Logan's friendzone situation with the queen, or even how the game is going down in flames ever since they added server transfers for pvp that ruined his precious jewel of a server by allowing all the pubbies to switch over to the server he rightfully switched over to WEEKS ago!

What? I am being honest? And I never mentioned other games communities, I'm talking about this one.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What? I am being honest? And I never mentioned other games communities, I'm talking about this one.

Sorry, it just came off as "This game's community is foul." as This game is the only community this bad. But that is entirely me reading too much into it. Sorry.

You're fat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wet Fifty posted:

Sorry, it just came off as "This game's community is foul." as This game is the only community this bad. But that is entirely me reading too much into it. Sorry.

Oh god no, most game communities are foul, I just had a lovely experience in this one especially over the last 10 months. I usually avoid pubbie communities, but didn't have a choice for this beta :(

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh god no, most game communities are foul, I just had a lovely experience in this one especially over the last 10 months. I usually avoid pubbie communities, but didn't have a choice for this beta :(

When I was on this weekend everyone was pretty nice v:shobon:v

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

All games have poo poo forums. The only thing that matters is how often the devs post there, and how open they are about what's going on. Rift was really good about this, and Path of exile too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

Kerrrrrrr posted:

All games have poo poo forums. The only thing that matters is how often the devs post there, and how open they are about what's going on. Rift was really good about this, and Path of exile too.

The irony here is that ever since official forums required linking in game account with forum profile, devs have had the ability to see how forum posts correlate with in game behavior: the most negative posters spend the most time/money on the game, which they rage so hard against

• Locked thread