Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I was told to spray my cat with a spray bottle whenever he got on my husband's desk. Now there is a wet, very angry cat on my husband's desk.

He also doesn't give two shits about sticky-side-up tape, he'll just walk right over it. He completely ignores you if you clap or shout at him too. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

God Over Djinn posted:

I was told to spray my cat with a spray bottle whenever he got on my husband's desk. Now there is a wet, very angry cat on my husband's desk.

He also doesn't give two shits about sticky-side-up tape, he'll just walk right over it. He completely ignores you if you clap or shout at him too. What do I do?

Metal can with coins in it?

My little rear end in a top hat found my "Da Bird" hiding spot. I can't find where he hid it, but I found half of the stick and a feather.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-StayAway-Motion-Activated-Pet-Deterrent/dp/B000DZFFN4

I've had great success training my cat to stay away from places he shouldnt be with this. After awhile I dont even need the air to go off, even just the warning tone is enough to chase him off. Plus he wont associate punishment with you and do stuff while you're gone.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

SynthOrange posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-StayAway-Motion-Activated-Pet-Deterrent/dp/B000DZFFN4

I've had great success training my cat to stay away from places he shouldnt be with this. After awhile I dont even need the air to go off, even just the warning tone is enough to chase him off. Plus he wont associate punishment with you and do stuff while you're gone.

I'm using Ssscat, similar concept. So far it has been great. Twist jumped upon the mantle the other night and smashed a potted plant and vase while ignoring the two other vases that were between them. 7-10 split at 11:00pm. I cleared off the remaining vases but left the only plant I have left up there, guarded by a Ssscat. She has jumped up there once and lost her poo poo when the blast went off. Hasn't been back. She also used to climb up the backside of our headboard and claw the edge of the mattress. A strategically placed Ssscat has also taken care of that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Question: just how aware are cats of reality? Someone told me that cats can't tell the difference between playing and actually chasing prey. Does my kitty really not realize that the feathers on a stick are just pretend?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have any suggestions on litterboxes for small apartments? We have a medium size cat (I guess? She's a torti) and not a lot of room for a litterbox, and we're trying to find a solution that stops her from tracking litter all over the bathroom floor.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I just got back from the vet with Pizza Brother. This was supposed to be about his bladder issues (making sure everything was OK on the Rx medicine). Instead they just renewed the prescription without taking a sample and said they'd take one again in September. They discovered bacteria in his ears, and gave me some ear meds for him.

Then they said they wanted to do a fecal test and a deworming on him. He just had a checkup in September, so I felt like that was maybe not necessary, so I said, if they wanted to do the fecal, fine, but no deworming unless they found worms (he's 100% indoors).

She said that even if they didn't find eggs in his stool, they'd probably give him the dewormer anyway. So why even do a fecal test then?

Am I crazy to feel like they're trying to up-sale me and sneak a bunch of stuff into the visit to charge me more? I said he was fine in September and wasn't interested in doing a dewormer unless the test showed there were worms. They said fine and took the whole thing (test and all) off their to-charge-me-for list. Is that normal? To de-worm an animal that shows no signs of worms (who's not a kitten on their first visit)?

Xibanya posted:

Question: just how aware are cats of reality? Someone told me that cats can't tell the difference between playing and actually chasing prey. Does my kitty really not realize that the feathers on a stick are just pretend?

That can't possibly be or my cats would literally kill each other rather than just scampering after each other/harmless pounces. They obviously know the difference between playing with each other and actually fighting to do harm. I think maybe with feathered toys the line might blur but I don't think it's quite the same.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MeramJert posted:

Yeah, I ended up doing this about an hour after my previous post. They said it wasn't a good sign and I should bring her back in later that day, which I did. They force fed her some sort of white liquid and took more x-rays, which revealed this:

Which means the thing is blocking things getting from her stomach to her small intestines, so she's probably going to need surgery :(

Well, she had a successful surgery: one sorta graphic picture here. Vet said she might be able to come home in 3 days, so hopefully the recovery goes smoothly. Stupid cat!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MeramJert posted:

Well, she had a successful surgery: one sorta graphic picture here. Vet said she might be able to come home in 3 days, so hopefully the recovery goes smoothly. Stupid cat!

Is that a solid object? It sort of looks like a cork from a wine bottle but that'd be fairly awkward for a cat to swallow :shrug: If they let you know what the object is, you can try and prevent a repeat performance.

While I'm posting, I'll chuck this in here (not a great picture but timid cats are hard to get in the first place, black ones against a window even worse). Panther grew up loving to sleep in the cup part of their climbing frame. He's now 2 years old, over 6kg of gorgeous sleek muscle and still insists on sleeping in the little cup. As you can see, the cup is bent as is the part it's attached to and the whole thing is tipped backwards onto the window sill. It's lifted 3 or 4 inches off the carpet at the front. I'm pretty sure gravity is going to win this game at some point ;)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xibanya posted:

Whoever that is either super gullible or messing with you. Cats and dogs (and most mammals, I think really) learn important survival behaviors and also socialize through play.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Cats are more aware of reality than most people imo. :catdrugs:

Halogen_Dusk
Jul 19, 2013

Dirty Job posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on litterboxes for small apartments? We have a medium size cat (I guess? She's a torti) and not a lot of room for a litterbox, and we're trying to find a solution that stops her from tracking litter all over the bathroom floor.

We use a litterbox for our cat Cleo that has a flap at the entrance, that
a) Is opaque and gives her some "privacy"
b) Keeps about 90% of the kitty litter exactly where it's suppose to be

It looks very similar to the one in this link except that ours is plain, but the general idea is there. The good thing is it's portable and you can unclip the top part that then allows you to change the litter.....Which reminds me...I need to change Cleo's :-)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have two top entry litterboxes in my 500 sq ft apartment. Works pretty well.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
My adorable little kitten has grown bigger and is more playful now, problem is playing now consists of biting the poo poo out of my and occasionally my girlfriend but, mostly me. He also follows us from room to room and just likes to be near us generally which is good when there's two of us not too good when it's just me and I need to do my work.

When he starts I pick him up and shout stop almost right in his face but he keeps doing it.

Also if he doesn't get his three meals a day his mews become so horse.

What do?

(When he was smaller ((last week)) we though about getting another kitten but, that would make two cats, and we can really only afford one)

I'm thinking of buying a hot water bottle too so that when I need to do my work he can lay on it and nap and not bother me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

My adorable little kitten has grown bigger and is more playful now, problem is playing now consists of biting the poo poo out of my and occasionally my girlfriend but, mostly me. He also follows us from room to room and just likes to be near us generally which is good when there's two of us not too good when it's just me and I need to do my work.

When he starts I pick him up and shout stop almost right in his face but he keeps doing it.

What do?

(When he was smaller ((last week)) we though about getting another kitten but, that would make two cats, and we can really only afford one)

I'm thinking of buying a hot water bottle too so that when I need to do my work he can lay on it and nap and not bother me.
Two cats is marginally more expensive than one and they would keep each other company so they wouldn't be attention starved and bitey.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ratzap posted:

Is that a solid object? It sort of looks like a cork from a wine bottle but that'd be fairly awkward for a cat to swallow :shrug: If they let you know what the object is, you can try and prevent a repeat performance.

Yep, it's a chunk of a plastic floor tile like this:

We had those in one area of the apartment because she liked to scratch them instead of the couch. This was fine for a year until she recently started biting pieces off and eating them, so they'll be gone before she gets back from the vet. We really should have gotten rid of them as soon as she showed an interest in eating them. :smith:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MeramJert posted:

We had those in one area of the apartment because she liked to scratch them instead of the couch. This was fine for a year until she recently started biting pieces off and eating them, so they'll be gone before she gets back from the vet. We really should have gotten rid of them as soon as she showed an interest in eating them. :smith:

That's good, at least you know what it was and take anything she chews off her (hindsight is great isn't it)

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

What do?

Stop shouting at him. It's completely ineffective. When he bites you, you need to give an immediate high pitched yelp. That's how kittens teach each other to how to play without hurting each other. Do you have toys for him? If not, get some. You need to wear him out on a regular basis or he will find ways to do it himself.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Bad Mitten posted:

Stop shouting at him. It's completely ineffective. When he bites you, you need to give an immediate high pitched yelp. That's how kittens teach each other to how to play without hurting each other. Do you have toys for him? If not, get some. You need to wear him out on a regular basis or he will find ways to do it himself.

Okay will do. Will try the yelp thing best as I can.

We got toys but,despite trying he only plays with one, His mouse on a string.

Will try wearing him out more but, we do play with him alot.

Will report on progress.

Thanks guys!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Okay will do. Will try the yelp thing best as I can.

We got toys but,despite trying he only plays with one, His mouse on a string.

Will try wearing him out more but, we do play with him alot.

Will report on progress.

Thanks guys!

That's also why I suggested the bop on the nose. It's not supposed to hurt, it sends the message, "Mom says to stop it!"

Doesn't always work, as it depends on why the cat is acting out.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
If my Heidi kitty is playing up, I just clap my hands twice and she stops trying to use me as a scratching post. Then I check her food & water bowls to see if she was just trying to tell me they needed a refill. A bop on the nose works with my older cat.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Ratzap posted:

While I'm posting, I'll chuck this in here (not a great picture but timid cats are hard to get in the first place, black ones against a window even worse). Panther grew up loving to sleep in the cup part of their climbing frame. He's now 2 years old, over 6kg of gorgeous sleek muscle and still insists on sleeping in the little cup. As you can see, the cup is bent as is the part it's attached to and the whole thing is tipped backwards onto the window sill. It's lifted 3 or 4 inches off the carpet at the front. I'm pretty sure gravity is going to win this game at some point ;)

We solved the problem of our overly enthusiastic cat tree shenanigans (seriously this cat takes running leaps and swings around on the hanging ropes) by buying some cheap barbell plate weights from the sports shop and putting an extra 10kg's of weight on the base. Thing is solid as a rock now.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm fostering a friend's cat while she deals with family stuff. This guy has a history of spraying, but he stopped immediately when we took him in. This morning, he marked the bathroom cabinet while he was in the bathroom with me. His urine was distinctly orange, bordering on red. I take him straight to the vet, yeah? The only reason I haven't yet is because I want to hear back from his owner, but my first impulse is to get him straight to a vet. Help, what do I do?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Hi there guys!

Here is the description of one of my cat that has been having a problem for awhile:

- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat? Just about a year
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Neutered.
- What food do you use? Forgot the brand but got it at petsmart it's big pebbles so he has to chew on them and not just swallow them.
- When was your last vet visit? Never
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor
- How many pets in your household? 2
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1 very big litter box

I've had a problem (more of an annoyance really) with Yuri my male cat forever. Problem is he's having difficulty keeping his food in. Don't get me wrong his appetite is A+ and so is his hydration (toilet water seems to be his favorite). He also uses the litter correctly and seems to go on a regular basis. He also does not seem stressed when eating and want to go back to eating straight after he puked.

I've been trying different type of approach, which work for a while and then all seem to fail:

- Give him small portions... seemed to work for a week but then failed, although to be positive it does seem to limit his puke to once/twice a week.
- Give him canned food... he loved it but even tho it takes him longer than the regular pebbles to eat he still pukes.
- Give him bigger pebbles to force him to chew before swallowing... doesn't seems to work either.

Also, yesterday he puked several times to what seemed to me like liquid at night.

As I said, he doesn't seem to be secluded, stressed about it... his hair is nice, he gives lots of love and have regular habit other than that but man I'm glad I have wooden floor because otherwise it would be problematic!

Did any of you ever experience that?

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Yuri should go to the vet, if only for his shots. If he is vomiting that is even more of a reason. He could have an allergy, or some kind of virus.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Bad Mitten posted:

Yuri should go to the vet, if only for his shots. If he is vomiting that is even more of a reason. He could have an allergy, or some kind of virus.

Will do! Mia is due for her neutering so it'll be a full visit for the vet for the whole family!

Bonus pics of Yuri and Mia :)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
We bought a big fancy cat tree for the cats this weekend, one with all the hanging ropes and cubby holes and all that business. Dropped a good chunk of change on it, and the drat cats have spent every day since playing in the box it came in, completely ignoring the tree. We even picked them up and put them on top of the tree so they knew they were allowed to be on it, and they immediately jumped off to get back the the box.

Cats are assholes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

criscodisco posted:

We bought a big fancy cat tree for the cats this weekend, one with all the hanging ropes and cubby holes and all that business. Dropped a good chunk of change on it, and the drat cats have spent every day since playing in the box it came in, completely ignoring the tree. We even picked them up and put them on top of the tree so they knew they were allowed to be on it, and they immediately jumped off to get back the the box.

Cats are assholes.

Yes, this is true.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

criscodisco posted:

Cats are assholes.

Rub catnip into the cat tree, they'll figure out how awesome it is soon enough.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Melicious posted:

Rub catnip into the cat tree, they'll figure out how awesome it is soon enough.

This - also you can sometimes buy catnip spray, which is good for soaking the dangly ropes/balls in.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
My cat tree is next to the window overlooking the balcony, which makes it the perfect place to click at birds. I bet if you put it next to a window they'll eventually figure out its merits!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Here's the little idiot that got "the biggest thing I've ever seen a cat eat"* removed via surgery a few days ago:

She was incredibly excited to see us visit her at the vet today, and she gets to come home tomorrow!

*Direct quote from the veterinary assistant

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's horrifying! What is it?

My cat was acting very aggressively affectionate this morning. Following me everywhere, flopping down for belly rubs, and purring more than usual. When I was walking out the door I found out why she was so happy: she pooped out an entire shoe lace.

A shoe lace that went missing about a week ago! It was all coiled up like a catpoop. Disgusting.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My cat was acting very aggressively affectionate this morning. Following me everywhere, flopping down for belly rubs, and purring more than usual. When I was walking out the door I found out why she was so happy: she pooped out an entire shoe lace.

A shoe lace that went missing about a week ago! It was all coiled up like a catpoop. Disgusting.

That's... amazing. :barf:

Speaking of cats eating weird poo poo, I recently adopted a second cat as a buddy to our first cat (and it's worked out SUPER GREAT!). She's some fashion of tabby, five years old, super friendly, and also FAT. Our vet recommended we switch out to an all wet food diet to control her intake, which we did for both cats about a month and then fell off the boat a little (now we have some dry food days and some wet food days, but are still doing our best to control portions and feeding times).

Recently we discovered newcat, Poyo, likes to chew, eat, lick, whatever plastic--bags, sheets, wrap, as long as it's thin she loves it. I have to keep all sorts of it put out of her even remotely possible reach. Even though she's rotund, she's a pretty good jumper. (She makes this adorable bark of effort when she hops!) She's about 12 - 13 lbs, compared to our first cat's 8-9 lbs. Is there any reason for this? Any way to stop it besides just keeping plastic out of reach?

She also harasses the everloving poo poo out of both of us around 2 a.m. until we can shoo her away and then again at dawn. Her purrs are diesel engine levels of loud and she has no compunction about climbing over any part of our prone bodies with her tiny feet and FAT. (I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is play with her until she can't take it anymore, but she's so lazy at play that she flops over and won't move her body, only her feet. On the plus side, our other girlcat now stalks her and chases her tail. :3:)

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

RedTonic posted:

Recently we discovered newcat, Poyo, likes to chew, eat, lick, whatever plastic--bags, sheets, wrap, as long as it's thin she loves it. I have to keep all sorts of it put out of her even remotely possible reach. Even though she's rotund, she's a pretty good jumper. (She makes this adorable bark of effort when she hops!) She's about 12 - 13 lbs, compared to our first cat's 8-9 lbs. Is there any reason for this? Any way to stop it besides just keeping plastic out of reach?

My cat likes to lick plastic. It's weird, and I just keep it away from him. I used to have a friend whose cat would eat plastic bags - he had to go the kitty ER twice. The first time because it was, well, the first time. Who knew his cat would eat a plastic bag?? The second time, someone was house-sitting and left the drawer of plastic bags open enough for kitty to get in there and nab one. He just has to keep them locked up like precious gold now, and it's weird to see how interested his cat gets when he opens that drawer. "THERE'S DELICIOUS PLASTIC FOOD IN THERE!!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah my cat likes bottle tops and whatever else plasticky might be at hand. Having a cat has been miraculous for my at-home cleaning ethic, it's a constant effort to make the place not look like a cat exploded on the rug and get rid of the things that cats derp themselves to death with.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My mom's cat did this once. Then she discovered that the shoe lace was moving and not a shoe lace at all. Time to go to the vet!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah my cat likes bottle tops and whatever else plasticky might be at hand. Having a cat has been miraculous for my at-home cleaning ethic, it's a constant effort to make the place not look like a cat exploded on the rug and get rid of the things that cats derp themselves to death with.

My mom's cat did this once. Then she discovered that the shoe lace was moving and not a shoe lace at all. Time to go to the vet!

One time my eldest girlcat vomited behind spouse and I in the office. I went to clean it up... And saw that it was moving :aaaaa: We just so happened to have a specimen tube on hand and used some tweezers to drop it in and took her to the vet. So gross! I guess it was a tapeworm. She used to be quasi-outdoors (mom built an enclosed kennel connected to the house via catflap), so she must have gotten it and stayed quietly infested for months after coming to my home.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
I recently picked up a new vacuum cleaner after my old one called it quits. My poor fellow has recently taken hiding under the bed and tearing out his fur and sometimes put out bits of skin when I vacuum. I've started putting him in the cat carrier or putting him in another room when I vacuum but now it's got me concerned because he can't leave his injuries alone. I'm going to try and take him to the vet Friday to make sure nothing else is wrong but can anyone recommend something so he doesn't fidget with his wounds in the meantime?

I'm also looking for some alternative with the vacuum that doesn't scare him. If it means getting rid of the vacuum and using something else I'd gladly go that route so the poor guy has some sense of peace. :( He's never done this when I used my old vacuum although it still freaked him out enough.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
A friend took this super pretty picture of Butts that I had to share:

This cat. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
The plastic bag licking is usually because plastic bags are sometimes made with animal fats, and cats can still smell it.
One of my two goes *nuts* for bags he hasn't already licked the hell out of.